General Discussion Triathlon Talk » crashed and broke my collarbone - no IMAZ for me Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-30 2:14 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: crashed and broke my collarbone - no IMAZ for me
I'm so sorry. Cry  Having crashed a week before a big HIM, I can empathize with the bummer of missing out on a big race for which you've been planning and training.  I hope there's a glimmer of hope in recovering in time to at least complete the IM even if it's not your best.  Sending you healing vibes!

2013-09-30 3:24 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Thanks everyone for your input and condolences.

So far I'm just in sling after the ER visit.  Today I will try to see an orthopedist to see if that is sufficient.

IMAZ was going to be Ironman #10 for me.  I have already signed up for Los Cabo in March, so I don't know if I need to push recovery and race in IMAZ.  Financially I can just let the registration go, although I'll send an email to WTC and see what they'll do for me, same for TriBikeTransport.  But adding in the cost of the airfare for my wife and I, boarding the dog, car rentals, host hotel (I was really looking forward to being at the host hotel) - we'll, I may just want to save all that rather than make IM #10 a "just finish" scenario.  Maybe I just come back strong for Cabo.  I certainly have some down time to think about it.

BTW I bashed the left side of my helmet far harder than I thought.  It clearly needs replacement.  Thank you Giro for saving my noggin.

Then I would say sit it out.  This isn't your first.  You know there will be others.  Worst case scenario, you can always see if they will defer to next year and if you still need to go, see if you can volunteer that day instead.  That's what I did earlier in the season when I was out.  It was only a Sprint but it was a fantastic experience to be able to give back to the sport in that fashion.

2013-09-30 4:31 PM

User image

New user

Sorry to read this.

You offered me some words of encouragement after my calf injury, at a time that I thought that I may have to withdraw.
You'll likely be healed in six weeks, but definitely behind in training.
Reading that you've completed more than your share of IM's, you'll probably be able to get through IMAZ.
It won't be worth it if you risk further damage, but only you, your Dr. & PT can determine that.

Keep an open mind, and I'll see you at the finish line at IMAZ.
Probably a little later in the evening than we both want, but we'll be there.

Pete
2013-09-30 4:58 PM
in reply to: GDTRFB

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Bummer... Hopefully you heal fast and I'll see in Tempe Town Lake on Nov 17th.

To echo what some others said, this is the timeframe where you hope all goes well with training. Two folks training for IMAZ out here in AZ were hit by a car last week and both are out of the race. Both sustained broken collar bones and bad road rash. Stay safe
2013-09-30 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Broke mine at 12 & was back in the pool kicking and swimmin 1 arm drills 2 days later. No full swimming for 3 weeks. Try waiting a week or 2 and tryying that. Can you make ge cutoff swimming 1 arm free?
2013-09-30 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS
Yikes, sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

2013-09-30 9:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

My collarbone is still moving around quite a bit under the skin and is quite swollen and painful. I can't come close to raising my arm or using it normally.

I saw an orthopedist today and since I am an athlete, we decided the best course of treatment is surgical repair with plate and screws.  Otherwise I risk range of motion problems due to shortening, long term pain under heavy use like 10k per week in the pool, and a few other issues.  My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday.

Edited by brucemorgan 2013-09-30 9:56 PM
2013-10-01 7:47 AM

User image

New user
Hi Bruce,

I'm really sorry to hear about your collarbone!

I had a bike crash this past April and badly broke my right collarbone and I had the surgery you're about to have on May 1st of this year.

It took me 3 months before I was back training at a normal level. I was able to get on my bike trainer fairly soon after the surgery but had to remain upright while I pedaled ( I was still in the sling). The good news is that I got full range of motion back and was able to return to form quickly (including swimming). My advice would be to make sure you give your body the proper time to heal so that you can continue to do triathlon for the rest of your life, not just this one race.

I was terribly frustrated in my recovery because my range of motion came back quickly with PT but the doctor did not allow me to run or add weights because the bone was not properly healed yet. I'm not a doctor but I would expect that if you had a clean break that you may have a speedier recovery than I did.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the surgery or any aspects of the recovery.

Regards,

Bryan
2013-10-01 8:57 AM
in reply to: bryathlete

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Hi Bruce- I broke mine in June... real bad, it broke in two spots and also broke two ribs and my scapula. Surgery went well and it felt much better within 24 hrs of going under the knife. Here is my xray. Let me know if any questions.... I would wait to make a decision on IMAZ until after surgery.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/get-photo.asp?photo...
2013-10-01 9:23 AM

User image

Champion
MA

What is the recovery like?

Good luck tomorrow!

2013-10-01 9:36 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

over a barrier
Welcome to the busted clavicle club. Here is your coffee mug and sling.

Hitting 6 weeks post surgery this Wed. I had a CM gap in my Collarbone bone so surgery was pretty much required. I think its the best choice.

I was sliced and diced. A plate and 7 screws. My only limitations post surgery was the surgical cut itself. I had full range of motion once that healed.

The swimming and activity level I think really depends where the bone broke. As crowny mentioned, he couldn't run for 8 weeks, while I start running just a couple of weeks post surgery.

I'm allowed to start racing cyclocross and that is much higher risk than IM.

Given this isn't your first IM, I would just bag it.

2013-10-01 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by bryathlete Hi Bruce, I'm really sorry to hear about your collarbone! I had a bike crash this past April and badly broke my right collarbone and I had the surgery you're about to have on May 1st of this year. It took me 3 months before I was back training at a normal level. I was able to get on my bike trainer fairly soon after the surgery but had to remain upright while I pedaled ( I was still in the sling). The good news is that I got full range of motion back and was able to return to form quickly (including swimming). My advice would be to make sure you give your body the proper time to heal so that you can continue to do triathlon for the rest of your life, not just this one race. I was terribly frustrated in my recovery because my range of motion came back quickly with PT but the doctor did not allow me to run or add weights because the bone was not properly healed yet. I'm not a doctor but I would expect that if you had a clean break that you may have a speedier recovery than I did. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the surgery or any aspects of the recovery. Regards, Bryan

Thanks for posting!  Yes I want to remain a triathlete for life so at this point I've decided IMAZ is definitely out. I'll be relying on my doctor's advice on how to get back into it safely.  Luckily we have some world class doctors in my area; this is my surgeon: http://www.bbjp.net/providers/dr/seattle-orthopedists-battaglia.html 

Scott, I looked at your xray and I expect my repair to look much the same perhaps a smidge closer to the shoulder and smaller plate.  The plate is like to go on top like yours.  Thanks for sharing.

Edited by brucemorgan 2013-10-01 11:34 AM
2013-10-01 11:36 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-01 11:47 AM

Veteran
Virginia Beach
"Scott, I looked at your xray and I expect my repair to look much the same perhaps a smidge closer to the shoulder and smaller plate. The plate is like to go on top like yours. Thanks for sharing."

Yes, mine was broke in two different places so the longer plate was needed.

After surgery, you will be part of a new "iron"man club... Keep the faith.
2013-10-01 11:49 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion
Austin, Texas
Speedy recovery vibes being sent for after your surgery! 
2013-10-01 11:57 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Good luck with your recovery.

Feel bad for you having to go through it but it's a lesson in 'how to be an ironman' to read and see the classy way you're dealing with it and how you approach adversity. Congratulations on that and it's something I'll try and remember when I get a setback so thanks too.

2013-10-02 1:46 PM

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
I'm out of AZ also??????. Tripped while running at night and destroyed my wrist!! A plate and 6 screws later. Sucks! Even more cause its so hard to get into AZ.
2013-10-02 7:54 PM

Master
Bellevue, WA

Yes, IMAZ is hard to get into.  I flew down last year and volunteered so I could sign up.  I really feel for anyone who has to DNS due to injury.

I had surgery earlier today and I'm back home. Here's the xray of the surgeon's work, adding a plate and screws.  It turns out there were two breaks, not just one, so it would never have healed properly by itself.  No swimming for 12 weeks due to the location of the plate and nature of the breaks.  I can ride on a trainer in 4 weeks as long as there is no chance of falling.  And running in 6 weeks.  I'm already signed up for IM Cabo, so I'll be training for that.

Edited by brucemorgan 2013-10-02 7:58 PM

(clavicle_cropped.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
clavicle_cropped.jpg (519KB - 19 downloads)
2013-10-02 8:14 PM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Bruce
I'm sorry to hear about the injury and glad to read that you are on the mend! I was able to avoid surgery last year-post IMLP after a wave destroyed my collar bone, along with 5 rib fx and a thoracic spine fracture, so I can empathize...

Do your rehab and focus on the future. You will survive. You will come back. Be smart in your rehab and push yourself, when you can.

I was swimming, with my fracture-non surgical reduction, after about a month. I looked lame but it helped a bit with ROM. Walking my arm up the wall in the shower and doing the exercises helped more and the swimming MAY have slowed me a bit, but I don't believe it.

Best of luck to you.

PM me if you have questions that I can help with.
Dale
2013-10-02 8:22 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Pro
Bruce - hang in there.  I blew my knee out 5 weeks before IMLT, which was to be my first IM after over 25 years of triathlon.  I am 5 weeks post surgery and did my first workout back tonight.  Just 30 minutes on the bike and 3 trips around the weight circuit doing some bench presses, arm curls, shoulder presses, and even a few squats with just the bar.  It wasn't much but there is life left in my body and it felt good to get the blood flowing again.  Hell, it feels good to start over. Laughing
2013-10-02 10:23 PM

Veteran
Great White North
Good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » crashed and broke my collarbone - no IMAZ for me Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Broken Collarbone

Started by jtintx
Views: 12319 Posts: 19

2016-07-07 7:01 PM brigby1

oh noes!!!

Started by orphious
Views: 1500 Posts: 3

2010-09-10 8:02 AM bcart1991

noes plugs

Started by roxygirl
Views: 2328 Posts: 14

2008-05-30 2:11 AM intriathlete

Crash and burn Mav, crash and burn!

Started by cwsiii
Views: 2788 Posts: 19

2008-03-24 10:10 AM jamesehatcher

A 1st - broke 100 miles running, broke 7 min barrier in run

Started by jpb0009
Views: 1338 Posts: 9

2006-06-28 4:42 PM jpb0009
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 18, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
How long before I will notice major improvement? How long in the sling? Should I do any kind of exercise or rehab while in your sling?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
comments : 0
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : August 22, 2006
author : TriathlonRadio
In this episode we talk to Coach Joel from the BT.com forums. He talks about recovering after a bike crash and coaching.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.
date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.