US Road Sports & Entertainment Group
85F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 36m 30s
Overall Rank = 178/664
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am to walk the dogs and get ready for a 5am departure. Also put on the race tattoos, but since I was still asleep, the first one went on upside down., the second was right side up but hidden by my shorts and I completely screwed up the age one, so I wrote that in with marker. I think that is a pretty good results considering the time of day.
Event warmup:

Pretty much none. Because of the set up of the Olympic distance, they wait until all the oly swimmers are out of the water and then they move the buoys to set up for the sprint. This means that there is 1:45 wait from transition closing until the first sprint wave. This totally sucks. So, there was a lot of time opportunity to warm up, but there was really no easy way to swim as the swim is in the bay and there is no beach. The swim start and exit are just small cut out areas in the rocky coast. So, you couldn't get in the exit and for some reason we didn't think to walk down to the start and try to get in. I did get a little warm up walking back and forth to the bathrooms a few times:)
Swim
  • 16m 39s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

As we waited to start the rain came, that was kind of cool. This part of the bay is pretty tough to swim in as it has the intercoastal cut thru it, so the currents are kind of crazy. This really is more of an issue for the oly racers as they swim from an island off the coast back to the shore, so they have to fight all the weird currents. Still, there was one point in the swim where I thought I had come to s standstill as the turn buoy never got closer. There was also a lot of seaweed. It was the long string type of seaweed - yuck,I felt like the creature from the black lagoon with all the seaweed covering my head. On some of my strokes, i pulled big gobs of seaweed with me.

As usual, there were people that swam right across me - not to get in front, but because they were weaving so much - if I think someone is weaving alot, trust me they are. I came to a complete stop multiple times trying to find clear water. I was encouraged when I caught and passed people from 2 waves ahead of me. Of course, I was passed by people in the wave behind me, but that doesn't count.
What would you do differently?:

One of these days I will learn to get aggressive in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

The timing mats were so close to transition that this looks like I had a pretty fast transition. Actually, my swim time was a bit shorter and this longer.

Eh, everything was wet from the rain, so it took a little longer to get my socks on then I would have liked.
Bike
  • 43m 14s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm really surprised by the slow pace of the bike. it was a bit slow going at the start weaving around people and turning on sharp wet corners until I got up to speed. Then there were the causeway crossings which are quite steep and since i've only been biking on the flats since hills really bother my hamstring, my ascent was pretty slow. There were also a couple of u-turns that required a big slow down and a pretty good headwind. I'm sure I can come up with more excuses, but really even with everything,I did think I'd keep about a 20 mph pace.

Don't think I'd do anything differently. I did what I could on the day and for whatever reason it was a bit slower than I should have/could have done.
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Pretty long run from bike dismount to transition and it was on a little uphill that was slippery from the rain. My rack was the last rack on the complete opposite side from bike in, so I had a way to go. Still, for me, this was speedy!

I'm just slow in transition, maybe one day I'll be fast.
Run
  • 31m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

See course description for what I really think of this run! Reinjuring my hamstring Thursday did not help me on this run (or the bike) and running and biking hills made it very, very angry. But the course was great even if it was hard. I'm happy it wasn't as hot as it normally is for this race. Oh yeah, the sun came out on the bike and stayed out the rest of the race. Thankfully, with the wind and slightly lower temps and water stations, things didn't get as miserable as they could.

I need to embrace the suck. I think I held back on the run because it was hard and I was a baby. I can run harder as evidenced by my ability to pick things up towards the end.

So, I just need to stop being a baby.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the site, got a little food and then into the beer garden where they had Heineken. Of course they served it in 2 oz dixie cups, the bastards :) I only had 2 cups, but both tasted great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't have my legs for this race, but overall I did what I could.

Event comments:

One big problem I have with this sprint version of this race is that it starts so late. If they are going to start it so late, they need to keep transition open longer for the sprint racers. I don't know why they couldn't section off the oly racers from the sprint and keep the sprint part open longer. Waiting around so long to race was not fun at all and will probably stop me from doing this race again.

If they don't want to section the transition area, then they need to get 2 more buoys so they can mark the sprint course without having to wait for the oly racers to be out of the water. They could then start the sprint while the oly's are still in the water - there would just be some merging of the 2 distances. Other races do that, so I don't know why this race can't.

Volunteers were great and there were a lot of cheering spectators which made the race seem like a big deal.

Final note, when Mark was swimming he had to save some woman who was waving her arms trying to get one of the safety kayaker's attention without luck. Mark stopped and she told him she could not swim any more, so he held her above water until the kayaker saw them and took over. Even with saving someone, he still beat my swim time!

Last updated: 2013-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:39 | 440 yards | 03m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 334/664
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Out to the first turn buoy then north parallel to the coast before heading back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:14 | 13 miles | 18.04 mile/hr
Overall: 0/664
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: This was an out and back course into some of Miami's fanciest neighborhood's. It includes 2 causeways which, since it's an out and back, you cross 2x.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:50 | 03.1 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 0/664
Performance:
Course: This course is rough! At about the .5 mile mark you have to cross the MacCarthur Causeway. This if a very steep, very long crossing. Many people walk it and I felt almost as if I was walking it, but technically I was still in a run :) The causeway is tall enough to let the cruise ships under without need of a draw bridge. It sucks. Almost as soon as you get to the bottom, you turn around and head back over. The back side actually seemed a bit less steep. Mark caught me just as I hit the bridge. He ran with me until partway up the backside when I told him to save himself :) Actually, he usually vies for 1st place in his AG, so I didn't want him to lose out staying with me and my slow slog. Since it had been so long since I ran any real hill, I forgot how to run them properly. Finally, on the 2d downhill, I remembered to just open it up and let gravity help. I picked up speed (duh) and when I got to the flats was able to keep my pace at about an 8:30 pace.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-30 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: Escape to Miami - Sprint Course

2013-09-30 1:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Escape to Miami - Sprint Course
That swim sounds crazy - from the seaweed to the delayed start to having to save someone!? WHOA! And what's with that RUN?! The steep causeway - once you get over it you have to turn and go back? Sounds cruel!

Nicely done despite the crazy! Congrats

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-09-30 1:17 PM
2013-09-30 1:44 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice race!  It's great that you can do these events with your family.

I think that at this point in your training cycle, you are going to have legs some days and not others.  Hang in there!  Rev3 Venice will be great.  (Now go and heal thyself!)

Go Mark!

2013-09-30 1:51 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Seattle

Sheesh, Mark the superhero!! 

I hear ya on better logistic so you don't have to spend a bunch of time waiting around. That is a big pet peeve of mine and a total PITA.

Nice work and I hope your hammy heals up!

2013-09-30 2:08 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania
Seaweed!  Rain!  Wind!  She battled it all and came home with an AG podium, folks! Cool  Kudos to Mark for helping the swimmer in distress and great race to you!  Take care of that hamstring and quit calling yourself a baby - who wants/needs a ripped hammy?  No one.  You were smart.
2013-09-30 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4867278

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Good job taking what you could with what you had. "Embrace the suck" sounds like advice I could use.

2013-09-30 2:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Well, there is 'being a baby' and then there is 'I am injured'.  I think you fall into the latter category.  Great job on getting out there and getting it done!

Oh, and congrats to Mark for helping out a fellow racer.  That's fantastic.

Edited by bcraht 2013-09-30 2:54 PM
2013-09-30 4:31 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You need more than 2   2 ounce beers after a day like that!

You did well in some strange circumstances!

2013-09-30 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Thanks all.  I re-read the report and I sound like a big complainer .  REally, I liked this race, just didn't like the way they have the sprint start.  That's just stupid Surprised
2013-10-01 9:07 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723 Thanks all.  I re-read the report and I sound like a big complainer .  REally, I liked this race, just didn't like the way they have the sprint start.  That's just stupid Surprised

I didn't read it that way.  I thought that you had some justifiable and constructive criticism for the race organizers and I know that your hamstring has been acting up again (bad hamstring! bad!).  Furthermore, your HIM is two weeks after B2B so I am quite familiar with where you are in your training and I imagine that you are pretty much at peak tiredness.

2013-10-01 9:44 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723 Thanks all.  I re-read the report and I sound like a big complainer .  REally, I liked this race, just didn't like the way they have the sprint start.  That's just stupid Surprised

I didn't read it that way.  I thought that you had some justifiable and constructive criticism for the race organizers and I know that your hamstring has been acting up again (bad hamstring! bad!).  Furthermore, your HIM is two weeks after B2B so I am quite familiar with where you are in your training and I imagine that you are pretty much at peak tiredness.

Thanks!

2013-10-01 10:18 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Congrats on the PODIUM!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the others that you did well for the conditions! And 2 oz beers?! REALLY??!?!?!?

Oh, and nice job Mark too!!!!!!!

2013-10-01 10:58 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Way to do your best while not worsening your hammy. Nice job! Now heal up Smile

That is a puzzling swim set up. I wonder what their reasoning is.

2013-10-01 11:04 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Melon Presser

I think you HTFU'ed plenty! The bike was definitely 20mph effort ... it's just that slowdowns get really magnified in a sprint where you don't have lots of steady miles to make it up.

Super congrats on #2!!!!! Smokin'!

2013-10-02 10:05 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by bcraht

Well, there is 'being a baby' and then there is 'I am injured'.  I think you fall into the latter category.  Great job on getting out there and getting it done!

Oh, and congrats to Mark for helping out a fellow racer.  That's fantastic.

I second all of this.   Sounds like you had a good race considering everything.  And I'm hoisting the BS flag on the beer in 2oz Dixie Cups.  That's letter to the RD worthy--the OUTRAGE! (I'm half kidding.)

2013-10-03 9:42 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Podium!!

And, no, it doesn't look to me like you held back on the run.  With a tweaked hammy, you listened to your body.  That's not a case of HTFU, it's smart!  HTFU when you're 100% and push through barriers - not into an injury.  Laughing

'Course, when you ARE 100%, holy carp you'll smoke it!

As for the 2oz beers - maybe they stay colder?  Don't know, as beer never survives long around me after a race.  Wink

Congrats!

Matt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape to Miami - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Escape to Miami - Sprint Course

Started by tmoons
Views: 1005 Posts: 1

2012-12-30 4:23 PM tmoons

Escape to Miami - Sprint Course

Started by umueller
Views: 655 Posts: 1

2012-09-24 8:03 AM umueller

Escape to Miami - Olympic Course

Started by eliwashere
Views: 1138 Posts: 1

2011-09-26 8:23 AM eliwashere

Started by Mimir98
Views: 1365 Posts: 6

2011-09-26 9:47 PM Mimir98

Started by rdeclercq
Views: 1329 Posts: 2

2011-09-27 9:36 PM trix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.