General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS first timer. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-30 4:58 PM

User image

The 951
Subject: OWS first timer.
I learned to swim last March and have been going to the pool as much as I could. Pretty confident in water i can't stand in.

Joined a local tri club (Temecula Valley Tri Club) and today is my first training OWS at Vail Lake. I have a tri wetsuit and I heard these things float. I know from experience that my arms are up to it if my legs are buoyed up. I will bring my training fins, which I used to refine my strokes, along just in case. I guess all I need now is to maintain composure as I look down into the murk.

I don't know why I am posting this LOL. I think I'm just nervous. Maybe some of you can share lessons learned?

2013-09-30 5:36 PM
in reply to: BikesOfALesserGod

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: OWS first timer.
Heh Get wet! It's amazing how calm and conferable it is once you're in the water! Do just what you're comfortable with a step at a time, and you'll be an expert in no time.
2013-09-30 8:03 PM
in reply to: Pacific John

User image

If you panic, which is common, breath very quickly, get that heart rate out of control, slash your arms around like crazy, try to grab and hold another swimmer nearby with your dear life, and you should be good.

Just joking, enjoy and have a great time. Swim safe in OW. Make sure someone else is around or you have a safety float attaches.
2013-09-30 10:09 PM
in reply to: Jpro19

User image

The 951
Ate some humble pie today. Until I learned to relax it seemed that I was getting tired too quick. After I took it easy and focused on my hands entering the water in front of me it started clicking somewhat. Still, lots of baby steps to take. I couldn't sight worth a crap and had to swim parallel to the shore.
2013-09-30 11:16 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
You'll do great. Get back in as soon as you can. One thing that helps swimmers at all levels is to remember to exhale well. This is almost always a factor with new ows swimmers, but I've seen advanced people forget to do it and lose their composure. With just a little work, you'll think it's easy!
2013-09-30 11:24 PM
in reply to: Pacific John

User image

The 951
Originally posted by Pacific John

You'll do great. Get back in as soon as you can. One thing that helps swimmers at all levels is to remember to exhale well. This is almost always a factor with new ows swimmers, but I've seen advanced people forget to do it and lose their composure. With just a little work, you'll think it's easy!

My swimming buddy told me stop "top breathing". His term for exhale well. It helped.

2013-10-01 8:40 AM

User image

Originally posted by BikesOfALesserGod

Ate some humble pie today. Until I learned to relax it seemed that I was getting tired too quick. After I took it easy and focused on my hands entering the water in front of me it started clicking somewhat. Still, lots of baby steps to take. I couldn't sight worth a crap and had to swim parallel to the shore.

I had a similar experience my first time. I was able to swim away from shore, but only went out and back about 50 yards a couple times. Even though I grew up swimming in lakes, it had been about 15 years, and I suddenly found that I wasn't comfortable with it anymore. I think the problem was that I read too many horror stories and started to internalize other people's fears. There was someone else there for his first OWS that evening, and he wouldn't go out over his head. I noticed that if you are sincerely trying, though, that is the most important thing to most triathletes, and they will be very supportive. Even if you felt humbled, I hope you weren't embarrassed. With a little practice, it will become comfortable.
2013-10-01 10:27 AM

User image

One helpful thing my swim coach told me is that "water is water". I was a disaster during the OWS in my first race. Hadn't been in the OW for over 10 years and I thought my old surfing experience would make it a piece of cake. WRONG. Took way too long to settle down after mentally thinking through all of the negative thoughts, e.g. why is this so hard already? what if I have to quit? I can't believe I did all this training only to fail in the first 10 minutes, etc etc. But once I realized that I wasn't going to drown, and that my arms and legs were not hurting, I began to almost think I might be able to finish it. I started telling myself, "it's just like being in the endless pool. water is water." It's not really 100% true but it did help me settle down and focus on what was actually happening rather what COULD happen. I ended up actually having plenty of strength and gas in the tank even after the initial freak out and was able to finish much stronger than I had started. I plan to use it again this coming Sunday.

Not going to lie, it was also actually helpful seeing people clinging to buoys and kayaks. I thought "I'm not the only one struggling out here, but I think I can keep going".

So much of that swim was mental. Maybe even 90%.

Water is water.

2013-10-01 10:42 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

Originally posted by BikesOfALesserGod Ate some humble pie today. Until I learned to relax it seemed that I was getting tired too quick. After I took it easy and focused on my hands entering the water in front of me it started clicking somewhat. Still, lots of baby steps to take. I couldn't sight worth a crap and had to swim parallel to the shore.

Definitely take it slowly. Stay within your depth until you're comfortable and confident swimming for extended periods. I still get nervous during my first few OWS each season. Takes me a several workouts before I can complete a mile without stopping.

Practice a lot, and with time it'll start to feel much more natural.

2013-10-01 2:50 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

The 951
Yep, that's all I could do. Keep coming back and keep trying until the confidence builds! I just learned to swim last March so I'm not doing too bad
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS first timer. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First race, first OWS...

Started by Tparkin
Views: 1768 Posts: 18

2013-03-24 12:41 PM spearit

First OWS and first day clipless

Started by dozzman
Views: 1152 Posts: 11

2012-04-23 1:42 PM Tom Demerly.

First Tri AND First OWS

Started by HornJM
Views: 1040 Posts: 4

2006-06-25 9:45 PM dexter

Advice first timer

Started by p00key
Views: 987 Posts: 6

2003-11-20 9:20 AM Ron

Another First Timer That Needs Help!!

Started by flipper
Views: 759 Posts: 5

2003-10-11 12:24 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.