General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to get faster? Set higher goals for yourself... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-30 10:32 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: How to get faster? Set higher goals for yourself...
Found this interesting abstract tonight. Have not read the full study yet but wanted to share it here and see what folks thought...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23707141

2013-10-01 5:48 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: How to get faster? Set higher goals for yourself...

Their conclusion: The best predictors of race performance were age, previous best half-Ironman time, goal time, and importance of reaching this goal.

I didn't read the whole article either, but quite a few obvious variables that clearly make a difference in race performance or finish time.  How much the 'importance of reaching this goal' effected their finish time would be interesting.  High correlation between the other predictors.

My guess is that previous best HIM time is best predictor of finish time especially for well trained not new to the sport athletes.

2013-10-01 6:23 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

I'll have like to look at the full study at some point, but it's important to remember that correlation is not causation. Without looking at the actual study my gut is saying that of course a faster athlete is going to have a shorter goal time.
2013-10-01 8:13 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Elite
Thanks for posting but it seems like it is stating the obvious......if you are more experienced and set higher goals you will perform better.
2013-10-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I do find the goal-setting component intriguing based on my own experience over the last couple of years.

I had been locked into primarily doing LSD runs with my pace dictated by HR, while avoiding anything that could be considered speed work.  In fact, I was fearful of attempting any speedwork based on stuff I had read and my own history of knee and Achilles injuries.  I was 'comfortable' with my training and my average pace was improving, but slowly.

Last year I decided to shake things up a bit and do some 'fun' 5K's leading up to my annual HM.  I surprised myself at how well I did.    It was a revelation discovering that I could actually run faster.  It seemed to lift some psychological barriers and resulted in resetting my goals and expectations.  It's also carried over to my cycling.

About the same time I stopped using the HRM and started training exclusively by RPE instead. 

I'm certainly still no speed demon, and have the advantage of aging up to M60-64 this year, but at the same time I've set PRs at several races and have placed in the top five in my age group in all of the sprint tri's I've done this year.  There's still a huge, probably insurmountable, gap between me and the top guys in my AG, but it's a nice feeling to be more competitive and realizing that I have more upside potential than I thought.

Mark 

Edited by RedCorvette 2013-10-01 10:24 AM
2013-10-01 12:32 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I also have yet to read the full study (it's paid access, but hopefully at work I can get it for free).

A well designed study and statistical analysis would control for the "obvious" that faster triathletes set faster goal times. FOr triathletes with statistically similar previous race times, does setting a faster goal time lead to faster times?

It's a very interesting question that plays into mental and emotional approaches to training and racing.

I'm hoping the paper contains more than the obvious in that respect.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to get faster? Set higher goals for yourself... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Keep your goals to yourself

Started by Asalzwed
Views: 2009 Posts: 13

2013-06-03 8:09 PM switch

How Do You Keep Yourself From Getting Sick With High Training Hours

Started by ENP
Views: 1147 Posts: 10

2009-11-23 5:00 PM rottieguy

Goal setting/attainment/lessons learned

Started by Renee
Views: 1088 Posts: 14

2005-06-01 8:21 AM imnotjoking

Setting Goals

Started by Deb_B
Views: 891 Posts: 11

2004-10-20 11:03 AM triman50

Setting realistic goals

Started by dgunthert
Views: 641 Posts: 11

2004-08-10 9:00 PM aphoric
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2012
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is there an 8-12 week plan to improve technique and strength on the bike, with some running in it as well?

date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 1
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : January 29, 2006
author : mikericci
Setting goals for your triathlon season is important if you want to improve upon where you are and how you raced last year.