Other Resources The Political Joe » Anyone actually affected by the shutdown? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-10-07 12:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Anyone actually affected by the shutdown?

That would be the definition of a rhetorical question, wouldn't it?

At least the House and Senate private health clubs are still open. "House reps and senators justify the perk by saying important work gets done there."

Just ask Carlos Danger

2013-10-07 12:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by lisac957
Originally posted by Left Brain

This is an interesting story about residents who live on Lake Mead in Nevada, which sits on Federal land, being told to evacuate. 

“They are all vacation homes and everybody who lives in them are considered visitors,” she said. “If anybody needs to gather their personal belongings, we’re not going to deny them access. They can go do that. They just can’t spend the nights there or have barbecues during the day.

You mean to tell me that these folks can't use their vacation homes and have to make due with their regular homes??  That's horrible!!

By the same argument, the First Family should evacuate the White House.

Pres and the secret service are not furloughed unfortunately. So I guess they are supposed to be there.

Edited by dmiller5 2013-10-07 12:58 PM
2013-10-07 1:40 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think we should make a run on whoever supplies toilet paper to Congress. Shut down something they use and let them suffer through :-)
2013-10-09 8:59 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
2013-10-09 10:57 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

They've gone and done it now.

Shutdown means no new beer from craft brewers

That sucks.

But IMO, all these stories just show that the federal gubment is far too big and way to involved in every little thing. I mean really? We need a federal agency to police craft beer? 

2013-10-09 12:06 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Originally posted by MoonrocketI think we should make a run on whoever supplies toilet paper to Congress. Shut down something they use and let them suffer through :-)
I think they all wipe with $100 bills.

2013-10-09 1:53 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Ok.  Now I'm getting my pitchfork ready!

2013-10-09 1:59 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by Aarondb4

That sucks.

But IMO, all these stories just show that the federal gubment is far too big and way to involved in every little thing. I mean really? We need a federal agency to police craft beer? 

I read this article the other day and it got me to thinking

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreydorfman/2013/10/03/dont-believe-the-debt-ceiling-hype-the-federal-government-can-survive-without-an-increase/

It's basically the writers attempt to come up with places to save money to get the budget back in balance and he doesn't even include any ACA stuff.

Take a step back and wipe out the politics of "what" money is being spent on, it's absofriggenlutely ridiculous how much money the Federal government is spending.  We'd have to make some severe cuts to even get the budget to balance on an annual basis and when you throw in the ACA the deficit spending is going to accelerate rapidly.  

We can keep printing money today to cover it, but where does it end?  $50T in debt, $100T in debt?, $500T in debt?  At some point, something HAS to give.  It doesn't matter how good the economy is doing and how much taxes are raised if the politicians out spend the revenue no matter what it is.

2013-10-09 2:23 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Takeaway from the shutdown.  You cannot negotiate with someone who has taken something hostage, when their goal is to maim the very thing they have taken hostage

http://news.yahoo.com/daily-show-shutdown-hostage-negotiator-video-123918777.html

2013-10-09 6:44 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Was supposed to race last Sunday but shutdown closed access to the OWS lake. If it's not funded by the 15th the race will not happen this year and no refund.

Even if the race does end up happening I trained semi-injured trying to prepare and I would much rather have been resting. Should probably be resting now but the race might kick off. 6 more days of uncertainty.
2013-10-09 6:59 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Originally posted by turtlegirl

a bunch of us did Seagull Century this weekend and went through Assateague Island in MD.  The only reason I do this ride is to see the Chincoteague ponies, but none were around.  The joke was guess the ponies got tucked away on the shutdown too.  

But it was sad to see some of the volunteers for rest stops were rangers that WERE on furlough for the shutdown.  I chatted with a few of them and they are distraught to have their parks closed.

Between that and the Lockheed Martin pink slips, and being in the DC area where a bunch of my friends are gov't contractors, I find it really depressing.  I'm very concerned for my single income friends that are going to be hurting.

Seagull was a blast this year and just about the perfect temp.

The ponies were all on the federal park side of the island. They didn't get the memo it was closed

2013-10-09 9:26 PM
in reply to: Its Only Money

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Its Only Money
Originally posted by Clempson

. . . i was going to do the woodrow wilson HM in DC since i was going to be up for the wedding, but its been postponed til november now... just going to hop on the Mt Vernon trail despite the closure for my long run this weekend while im up that way.

Just curious if you were able to run on this trail over the weekend? Here in NE Ohio, they are ticketing people using the trails. I can't believe they are actually wasting resources on enforcing the closure of open air spaces. No matter what side of the political spectrum you stand on, these closures are just petty and sticking it to the American people. We should all be demanding answers from our elected representatives at this point.

me and hundreds of other people were using it.  i've never seen so many people out for a casual stroll with hydration backpacks on. i even saw a guy riding a huffy hybrid, aerobars, child seat with child, blazing around some turns in aero.... 

the whole time i was taking mental notes of "strange denizens of the mt vernon trail"  lol

2013-10-09 9:36 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by dmiller5

Takeaway from the shutdown.  You cannot negotiate with someone who has taken something hostage, when their goal is to maim the very thing they have taken hostage

http://news.yahoo.com/daily-show-shutdown-hostage-negotiator-video-123918777.html

the sad part is i laughed... when this really isn't funny, but actually disturbing.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Anyone actually affected by the shutdown? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

If new rules from the "fiscal cliff fiasco" didn't go into affect until 1 Jan...

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 2300 Posts: 13

2013-04-27 8:44 AM GomesBolt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2008
author : davebass63
comments : 1
A blow by blow description of my first triathlon. Let me start by telling you how I planned for it to go. Though here's what actually occurred.