Other Resources The Political Joe » Anyone actually affected by the shutdown? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-10-01 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: Anyone actually affected by the shutdown?

I just tried to log into the NIH grant system and received a redirect:

Due to the lapse in government funding, the system on this web site may not be up to date, transactions submitted via the web site may not be processed, and the agency may not be able to respond to inquiries until appropriations are enacted. If you are a grantee or grant applicant looking for guidance, see NOT-OD-13-126.

Updates regarding government operating status and resumption of normal operations can be found at usa.gov.

2013-10-01 10:02 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Anyone actually affected by the shutdown?
not to trying to make this another aca thread but looks like the shutdown worked atleast in your case.
2013-10-01 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I was up all night searching for cardboard boxes to make shelters for my grandparents, one of whom is a veteran.

Then I had to cancel my trip to Yellowstone this weekend, apparently the park is closed and the bridges between here and there have all collapsed.

I got a call from the hospital this morning, my wife was at work and fell sick, they suspect bad meat, they airlifted her to the hospital but the chopper has been circling for over 2 hours now as there are no air traffic controllers to set them down.

I had to stay home from work, there are a bunch of rowdy toddlers roaming the streets cause their headstart program was shut down today, some of them look pretty tough and up to no good.

However, I was scheduled for an IRS audit tomorrow and they just called to confirm the appointment, thank goodness the IRS still works. 

2013-10-01 10:18 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I keep having this picture of the family rolling up to Yellowstone in their RV and the gate being locked.  That would suck.  

I don't really do anything with the Feds, so my business is unaffected.  I just checked and my VA disability was deposited, so that appears to be unaffected.

There are of course stupid things that I chuckle about not being funded right now, but there are also a lot of services that are very much needed that I don't like being shut down.

I guess this should be a lesson to be learned here for the Dems.  When you ram a piece of legislation through without a single vote from the other party, don't be surprised when the other party doesn't want to fund it.  Just saying.

2013-10-01 10:27 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Originally posted by tuwood

I keep having this picture of the family rolling up to Yellowstone in their RV and the gate being locked.  That would suck.  

I don't really do anything with the Feds, so my business is unaffected.  I just checked and my VA disability was deposited, so that appears to be unaffected.

There are of course stupid things that I chuckle about not being funded right now, but there are also a lot of services that are very much needed that I don't like being shut down.

I guess this should be a lesson to be learned here for the Dems.  When you ram a piece of legislation through without a single vote from the other party, don't be surprised when the other party doesn't want to fund it.  Just saying.

That isn't how the process works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0
2013-10-01 10:29 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by pga_mike

That isn't how the process works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0

lol, I love that song...  I would sing that to my kids all the time.  

2013-10-01 10:31 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by pga_mike

That isn't how the process works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0

lol, I love that song...  I would sing that to my kids all the time.  

lol at the top comment on the video:

They? forgot about the lobbyists and campaign contributions. 

2013-10-01 10:35 AM

User image

Pro

Hi Tony. I was starting another thread to try and be less political. Just curious to see if this affects people or not. We've already got an ACA thread.

2013-10-01 10:41 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Hi Tony. I was starting another thread to try and be less political. Just curious to see if this affects people or not. We've already got an ACA thread.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.     I'll try and keep the politics to the other one. 

2013-10-01 10:51 AM

User image

Pro

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.     I'll try and keep the politics to the other one. 

It's hard, I know

2013-10-01 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
My buddy who is the GM at East Potomac GC for a "vendor" is shut down because the facility is on NPS land.

2013-10-01 11:42 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Not sure about a "gate" but pretty sure they are shut down?

http://www.nps.gov/shutdown/index.html

2013-10-01 12:00 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
My wife works for the Federal Govt.  She's working but says she may not get paid on time........whatever.
2013-10-01 12:04 PM

New user
Yorkville, IL
Scheduled to race this weekend, Last Try in IL. The lake and park is run by Army Corps. of Engineers and right now it is shut down.
So unless they all come to a speedy agreement (not likely eh?) I will not be racing this weekend.
Thankfully my campground reservation is at a private park so at least I'll still be camping with the family. Just not racing.

I try to keep this in perspective that at least it is not affecting my livelyhood like it is for many others.
2013-10-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Melon Presser
One of our Manatees (mentor group) and her husband work in designated critical federal positions--they still have to work but won't get paid
2013-10-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: Red2sbr

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
If I did not get my current job and got hired full time by the company I was working at I would be at home today. I almost did not work because of a shut down while I was working there.

2013-10-01 12:20 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriAya One of our Manatees (mentor group) and her husband work in designated critical federal positions--they still have to work but won't get paid

They will be paid.  Maybe not on time, but they won't miss a dime.

2013-10-01 12:21 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by TriAya One of our Manatees (mentor group) and her husband work in designated critical federal positions--they still have to work but won't get paid

yeah, but their bills are still due on time.

2013-10-01 12:24 PM

User image

Pro
I should also report that I am working. I'm a private company, but we are heavily dependent on research systems and databases maintained by NIH, which is shut down. Most of the federal database systems I use are still up and running but now they all have that disclaimer.
2013-10-01 12:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Originally posted by mehaner

Ok.....but compared to the problems people have who have been out of work for an extended period of time....meh.  Like I said, MY FAMILY is in the same boat....my wife is working and probably will not be paid on time.  I'm sure we'll live. Laughing

For the record, I think the "shutdown" is a joke.....the House is a joke as well.  I don't like Obamacare....but it is the law.  Now fund the govt. you boneheads.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-10-01 12:33 PM
2013-10-01 12:35 PM

User image

Pro

Ok.....but compared to the problems people have who have been out of work for an extended period of time....meh.  Like I said, MY FAMILY is in the same boat....my wife is working and probably will not be paid on time.  I'm sure we'll live. Laughing

For the record, I think the "shutdown" is a joke.....the House is a joke as well.  I don't like Obamacare....but it is the law.  Now fund the govt. you boneheads.

Does the ACA cover the zombie apocalypse? Because if you read any of the news headlines you'd think that's what just happened.

2013-10-01 12:39 PM

User image

Pro

Does the ACA cover the zombie apocalypse? Because if you read any of the news headlines you'd think that's what just happened.

We have begun food rationing at our house. Laughing

2013-10-01 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Chances are you're right, but 1) its not guaranteed, and 2)  it still hurts.  

I'm working for free (for now), my wife is not.  $0 coming in on pay day will hurt.  

2013-10-01 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

your family may not be in the same boat.  there are families that with both earners on furlough will NOT be able to pay their bills.  be glad you are OK.  it's not so long ago that I was living paycheck to paycheck.  IF i were furloughed i would be OK today but just 7 or 8 years ago it would have caused me problems.

and i agree about the government and the shutdown are a joke.

2013-10-01 12:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Sous

Chances are you're right, but 1) its not guaranteed, and 2)  it still hurts.  

I'm working for free (for now), my wife is not.  $0 coming in on pay day will hurt.  

Sure it hurts....but it's still a small problem.  As long as my wife has enough in her savings to keep paying her half of the bills I'm happy.....check with me next week, I may be grouchier about it if she starts coming to me for money. 

Edited by Left Brain 2013-10-01 12:47 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Anyone actually affected by the shutdown? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

If new rules from the "fiscal cliff fiasco" didn't go into affect until 1 Jan...

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 2301 Posts: 13

2013-04-27 8:44 AM GomesBolt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2008
author : davebass63
comments : 1
A blow by blow description of my first triathlon. Let me start by telling you how I planned for it to go. Though here's what actually occurred.