General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit... sweet spot or ever evolving? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-12-14 12:16 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Bike Fit... sweet spot or ever evolving?
Originally posted by Left Brain

Lee, in the last pic you posted your hip angle looks too pinched.....I'd be curious to know what your power looks like compared to your position when you were a bit higher.  I agree that aero is king.....but at some point I think you get to the point where power vs. aero becomes an issue.  You look close in that last picture, and maybe past the point of diminishing return?  Just my thoughts from looking at it.

hmm interesting, my hip angle is actually more open than it is in any of the other pictures from the measurements we've done.

2013-12-14 12:26 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Leegoocrap
Originally posted by Left Brain

Lee, in the last pic you posted your hip angle looks too pinched.....I'd be curious to know what your power looks like compared to your position when you were a bit higher.  I agree that aero is king.....but at some point I think you get to the point where power vs. aero becomes an issue.  You look close in that last picture, and maybe past the point of diminishing return?  Just my thoughts from looking at it.

hmm interesting, my hip angle is actually more open than it is in any of the other pictures from the measurements we've done.

OK, then it's the angle from the camera......I think it'd be easier if your right leg was down instead of the left in the picture.  I know we lowered my kid's position to a point where he said, "I don't feel as strong".....and so we came back up a bit.  He's fun to work with because he has no preconceived notions at all.....just how he feels on the bike.  Once you get to the point you are I don't think you can forget about power, because somewhere the benefit of more aero and diminished power intersect.....and then you can go in the wrong direction, don't you think?

2013-12-14 7:04 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
yes, you can definitely be too low, and cutting the hip angle too tight is bad (although there isn't one magic number...or even range... to stay in depending on flexibility and other things - those Osymetric rings emulate shorter crankarms by reducing time spent at the tightest point for example - although I know that's oversimplifying it a bit)

Despite how it looks in the picture (the pic was actually taken so I could see how the Bambino fit the shape of my back - which is better in this position than it was when I had the similar LAS helmet on at A2) the Ventus only has a -6° drop (more than even my road bike) plus the ventus has a very high pad stack (only mountable above the bars, which are on top of the bar)

The upside against the aero or die bars was that... well I get a real base bar. The downside is it makes it necessary for me to have those deep bend (w) bars, which cut off using a torpedo bottle setup. I think I'll try a torhans 20 bottle if it will fit... even though I still don't like staw systems :/
2014-05-23 12:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
necromancy is my specialty.

At rev3 last weekend. Not a good day for me, mainly because I tried to ride at the fitness level I had at the end of last season (and I haven't been riding more than 2-3 hours a week since October :/ ) and paying for it on the run. More on my mishap in my blog if you are interested.

The position felt great though. New since last time... 160 crank length, cobb SHC 170 saddle, torhans 20 bottle, back to round rings.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2014-05-23 12:48 PM

(rev3bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
rev3bike.jpg (67KB - 7 downloads)
2014-05-23 12:55 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice

Do you keep your head in that position ?
Have you experimented with head position ?
2014-05-23 1:04 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by marcag

Nice

Do you keep your head in that position ?
Have you experimented with head position ?

Yeah that's my normal head position (not turtling) It's sort of misleading, my helmet is pushed pretty high up on my forehead (basically to my hairline) so it looks like my neck is craned back quite a bit more than it is.

When I was in the tunnel the difference of my helmet sitting low (closer to my sunglasses) and sitting high was crazy.
"Turtling" was the most significant change I tested at the tunnel... If I could hold my neck scrunched up it would be worth more watts than the worst to best helmet I tested. (The best helmet I tested was the Wingspan...worst was one of the long tails...maybe the LAS or the Advantage? I'll have to look. The long tail never sat on my back right though.)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit... sweet spot or ever evolving? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Sweet spot riding?

Started by erincs
Views: 2544 Posts: 9

2012-10-01 10:03 PM colinphillips

Sweet Spot?

Started by TriMan25
Views: 817 Posts: 1

2012-06-09 3:19 PM TriMan25

running - is there a cadence "sweet spot"?

Started by michael_runs
Views: 1399 Posts: 7

2012-04-24 10:20 PM Neek-neek

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3309 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

Fastest Bike Fit Ever!!!!

Started by jason.baross
Views: 1511 Posts: 9

2010-04-12 7:23 PM TriMyBest
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : January 5, 2009
author : AMSSM
I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.
date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.