Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 57s
Overall Rank = 31/143
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, ate a cinnamon crunch bagel from Panera and drank an iced coffee. This is my go-to breakfast; it sits well! Took the dog for a walk, then headed out to the race!
Event warmup:

I ran for a little while with Nate, then did a brief swim. I felt good during both warmups. I was freaking out bc my Garmin was just about dead, but luckily Nate had his charger. I was able to get just enough juice for the race.
Swim
  • 19m 16s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow, I did not see myself getting the 2nd fastest AG swim. My plan was to push it on the swim, since I knew I could do the distance, but I didn't think I'd do as well as I did. I think everyone struggled when they turned at the last buoy: we were all swimming directly into the sun. I know I took the last few hundred meters wide, but I just tried to stay with people who looked like they knew where they were going.
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot. I talked to someone else who had tinted goggles, and he said they didn't make a difference. I can really only be happy with this swim, definitely an improvement!
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

A good transition, nice and fast. I put my socks on during this to save time in T2. I also lost my goggles, but I knew I did. I'd rather buy a new pair than lose 10 secs going back to get them. I felt good out of the water and just wanted to get on the bike.

Nothing I can think of. I'd rather have my goggles still, I guess.
Bike
  • 59m 22s
  • 21 miles
  • 21.22 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to go hard on the bike, and I did. The first lap I made myself push, just wanted to keep the pedal down, so to speak, but not all the way to the floor. I kept leapfrogging this 13-year old kid. He would work to pass me, and then struggle to keep up, and I'd pass back. On the 2nd lap, I got tired of him and pulled away. I ended up riding in a small pack with a few other riders. One of us would pass, and then be overtaken. None of us were drafting, but we were definitely pushing each other. My legs were tired at the end, but I didn't feel like I'd gone too hard.

Of course, looking back, I say I could've gone harder, but it seems like I can always say that. I'm happy with my speed and effort.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

In and out of there in no time flat! I was a man on a mission: I changed shoes, put on my race belt, and took off running. I realized I still had my glasses on, which I hate to wear while running, so I just threw them on the ground. Some good person put them in my helmet.

nothing
Run
  • 27m 26s
  • 4.35 miles
  • 06m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, the run is short. I ran fast, but not that fast. However, I knew it was short from last year. I set out on the run with one guy in my sights. He was in my AG, and I told myself to stay with him. My goal on this run was to push hard the whole time, and then really hard at the end. On the way out, I felt good, saw Nate and knew I must've been doing ok. I got to the turnaround and said it was time to speed up. I pushed it the next mile, and felt like I was really moving. I think I got about 6:30 that mile. Just before the end, I caught up to the guy I had in my sights, and it turned out he was 41. I saw Nate ahead of me and told myself that I'd gone as hard as I could.

not a lot, that was about all I had
Post race
Warm down:

leaned over, breathed, and was tired...It was much warmer than when we started, so I went in the lake, which felt great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

I love this course, the distance, and the time of year. I'd say that this was my best all-around race, so far. I did well in every discipline, and made some real progress since last year. I even got a blanket for all my hard work!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-12-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:16 | 1000 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 25/143
Performance: Good
Suit: XTerra
Course: A triangle keeping the buoys on your left.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:12
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:22 | 21 miles | 21.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 48/143
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills, two laps
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:26 | 04.35 miles | 06m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 30/143
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-01 9:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: The Dam Tri

2013-10-02 5:37 AM
in reply to: #4868647

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: The Dam Tri
Great race!

Congrats especially on the strong swim!!
2013-10-02 5:49 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama
Great race. All that training is showing dividends. Well deserved podium spot. Congrats! 
2013-10-02 6:49 AM
in reply to: #4868647

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Great race. Your execution was about perfect. Way to showcase your fitness and make it count on the run.

Let me say again how totally impressed I am with this result and your overall training and racing. Your are turning yourself in to a triathlon beast!
2013-10-03 4:12 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Nice job!

Also...as one who teaches 13-year-olds, way to put that kid in his place! :P

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Dam Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Dam Tri - Sprint Course

Started by ladlehaus
Views: 993 Posts: 1

2012-06-24 3:35 PM ladlehaus

The Dam Tri - Sprint Course

Started by ladlehaus
Views: 1344 Posts: 3

2011-06-27 5:26 AM ratherbeswimming

Dam Tri

Started by Cordulegaster
Views: 1000 Posts: 1

2010-07-23 7:05 AM Cordulegaster

Dam Tri

Started by ladlehaus
Views: 1200 Posts: 2

2010-06-30 9:01 AM jford2309

Dam Tri

Started by kproudfoot
Views: 1589 Posts: 3

2009-07-16 2:17 PM kkocan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
We did really well with the beers, which will explain my reluctance to get out of bed on Saturday morning.