General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more?
OptionResults
Run/Jog50 Votes - [40.32%]
Cycle63 Votes - [50.81%]
I enjoy both equally11 Votes - [8.87%]

2013-10-02 2:14 AM

Subject: Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more?
If you were not training for event, and were just spending free time to do what you want, would you rather run or cycle? And why?

2013-10-02 3:18 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Subject: RE: Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more?
I'm ex-Army so I've run most of my life.

I have hated every step of every run I have ever done. I don't see "runner's high" as a possibility ever.
The only reason I ran even for as long as I did after getting out was it's the only way I knew to keep my lard butt from getting even larder.
I was glad when the Doc said I'm done running unless I want my OEM knees changed out.

I found I actually love being on the bike. I've caught whiff of that runner's high thing after a 4 hour ride a couple times. I'm getting back into the bike after a couple years of life getting in the way and I'm enjoying every pedal twirl, every time.

2013-10-02 3:44 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Regular
Madrid
For me its a close call but I gave the edge to favoring the run. While I hugely enjoy both, I shy away from the bike in bad weather (rain or really cold). I love the feeling of running in any conditions early in the day, off the clock, with just the sound of my breathing and feet hitting the ground, purging the frustrations of the day to day life one step at a time.  
2013-10-02 3:57 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
It varies over time.  Sometimes I get more into running, and sometimes more into cycling.  I like the distance I can cover on the bike and the fact that I can pick a route that takes me somewhere interesting on my rides.  With running, I can get a good workout inside of an hour, which can be tough to do on the bike unless it's an interval session.  Running becomes more fun when my run condition is relatively stronger, whereas cycling I can still enjoy a ride even at a slower pace.
2013-10-02 4:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Running!

I can run anywhere, anytime, even a short run of just 30min is great. I can always squeeze a run into my schedule, run early morning or late night. All I need is my running shoes, I'm out the door in no time. I can easily bring my shoes when I travel.

For the bike I need to schedule 5 hours to get a 3 hour ride, less than 2 hour ride doesn't really feel worth the trouble, bringing the bike anywhere is a hassle. I'm concerned about road safety and finding good routes, weather, chill factor, slippery roads, rain, burning sun, flying bugs (I actually had a bee getting caught inside my jersey while riding at 30kph, but more often they get in the eyes or mouth), need to consider nutrition and hydration, I need to spend time on maintenance, keeping the bike in shape and it's bloody expensive. Sure, once I'm on the bike I enjoy the ride, and enjoy getting out the city, explore the countryside.
2013-10-02 5:00 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Running, hands down. (Thus the username.) Probably because I've been running since I can remember, for "training" at least casually since age 10. I just enjoy it, long, short, fast, or slow. I like the simplicity--being able to lace up shoes (now even that's not necessary, with lace locks!) and head out the door pretty much anywhere. No need to worry about flat tires, gears, and the like. I don't always get runner's high but I rarely regret going out there. My body just seems happiest when running--often slow, sometimes fast.

Cycling, I'll be honest--I love leisurely bike touring as a way to see some nice country. If I had to choose an activity to do for over 2-3 hours, I'd choose a ride (or a hike) over a run, since I'm not an ultra-runner. But I don't enjoy bike training. It just feels like....exercise. I can't say I've ever gotten a "high" feeling from biking. Once in a great while, on a nice road or my favorite MUP with nice weather in Oregon, on my best bike, I'll get a brief feeling of something like "flow". That's about it. Then someone blows past effortlessly at 25 mph and ruins it for me.

I actually prefer trainer workouts to treadmill ones, though. I don't like bike training, so I don't really care where I do it.

2013-10-02 5:21 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It kind comes and goes in waves... sometimes I really like riding more than I do running, and at times, I get in a mood where I just can't wait until my next run. I voted "equal" as an overall.

If I travel for work, many times, I pack running gear just because it's much easier than a bike (unless I'm driving and then the bike might come with me)
2013-10-02 6:13 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
No question cycling, however I appreciate the simplicity of running - grab shoes and go.
2013-10-02 6:31 AM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TriToy No question cycling, however I appreciate the simplicity of running - grab shoes and go.

This

2013-10-02 6:50 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Veteran
Berkley
If I weren't training for a specific event I would choose running. It is not that I love running, it is that it is more social as I am part of a couple run clubs and we get together every week.
2013-10-02 7:01 AM
in reply to: deboerkj

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Running.

It seems running is whatever I need it to be.  A hammerfest, chill run, trails, track, hills - all fits the mood, and is sooooo easy to go do.  It's much more meditative for me, even when I'm hammering on the track.

Cycling is great, and I do love it.  However, it's more involved by far and requires an alertness to avoid getting offed (at least on the crowded New England streets within 60 miles of a city).  I'm not able to lose myself as much on a bike ride, at least without subsequently being terrified!  

Maybe a nice ride through uninhabited mountains or a training block on Tenerife would change my perspective, but that's not how riding rolls 'round here.

Both rock.  Edge to running for me (even though I'm stronger on the bike).

Matt

2013-10-02 7:06 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Running by far. I like the simplicity...just me and some shoes. Don't need shoes, helmet, gloves, bike, repair kit, etc...
2013-10-02 7:16 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by TriToy No question cycling, however I appreciate the simplicity of running - grab shoes and go.

This

x2 !
2013-10-02 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
I went with cycling, based on the elements of the question and the OP's post.  I do enjoy cycling more, however I'm better at running so I find that more often than not, post-race, I'm happy with my run performance and disappointed with my cycling performance.
2013-10-02 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
2013-10-02 7:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Love the bike. I think it might be the fact that I can cover so much more ground. There really isn't too much to see in the first few miles around me, but if you get out about 10 miles or so there are some nice parks and places to ride. I think a bit of it also goes back to when I used to have my motorcycle. I gave it up after my 2nd daughter was born, its just too dangerous. So I think I like getting on the bike and feeling the wind hit me in the face, brings back some memories. Also, I was in the Army when I was younger, and being forced to run for those 4 years kind of made me dislike running a bit. I still like getting out and running, but I think its mostly because its "alone" time.

Edited by spiderjunior 2013-10-02 7:30 AM

2013-10-02 7:37 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I started out as a runner, but over the years I've come to like riding more. Maybe it's because I've found that I'm rather delicate when it comes to running long distances.
2013-10-02 7:39 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
This last week I went out and rode my bike twice for fun. No training, no time goals, no intervals, just riding for fun. I probably haven't ridden like that in five years. It was on dirt roads with almost no traffic and it was amazingly pleasant.

But, for all of the reasons above, I enjoy running more.
2013-10-02 7:45 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Regular
LHOTP
I like running more, though I'm pretty new to cycling.  I could see it taking the favorite spot in a few years, especially as I get older.   If I didn't have the bike v car worries, it might even replace running now.
2013-10-02 7:55 AM
in reply to: switch

Cycling, but running now comes close.

2 years ago, I never would have said this. I hated, hated, hated running since I was in High School (I'm in my 40's now). Hated it.

I lost 50 lbs. about two years ago and now I really love it.
2013-10-02 8:03 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida
Am I alone to question why swimming isn't in the poll?

A similar vibe is felt at the beginning of each race. Almost everyone is dreading the swim. Personally, I love the swim. I've been surfing since I was 8 (I'm now 37) and I'm at home in the water. The bike is a very close second since I started BMX racing around the same time. Then I graduated to MTB racing in college. Running? I did a little in grade school, but never "loved" it. I run almost every day and still don't love it. When traveling, it's the most available workout, but again, don't love it.

2013-10-02 8:09 AM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Melbourne, Florida
Oh. And I got into triathlon because there weren't any road or MTB races within a 3 hour drive of me. There were a ton of tri races every month, so I decided to train and race. Now, I'm hooked. But I still don't love the run.

I'm usually within the first 5 out of the water, FOP on the bike, then I very quickly watch my podium spot slip away when running.
2013-10-02 8:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I wondered, but figured most triathletes don't like to swim, so no one even thought of it. I'm with you on loving swimming. I've been swimming as long as I can remember too and am very at home in the water. Even attempted (and failed) to learn to surf when I lived in Hawaii. If I had to choose one sport, I'd choose running, but swimming would be way,way ahead of cycling. It's actually my favorite part of the tri race itself. Guessing not too many other triathletes feel that way. I'm a better runner (although in a few races I've actually managed to place better on the swim), but I really like starting it off in the water. I suffer miserably from pre-race jitters, but they all go away once I start the swim warmup. (Okay, maybe it helps that most of my races are in warm, tropical water. I can deal with wetsuit swims in the high 60's/low 70's, but I don't do that freezing cold stuff well, on water or on land!

My races follow a predictable pattern--first 3-6 out of the water, lose it all on the bike, try to catch'em back on the run. Still remember one race where I was 2nd on the swim, 23rd on the bike, 5th on the run, and 4th overall. Huh?

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-10-02 8:17 AM
2013-10-02 8:22 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

This is kind of like having to pick your favorite child.  One of the things that draws me to triathlon is that I truly enjoy participating all three disciplines.

Even though it is my weakest event, I would chose running over cycling as my favorite, but by a relatively narrow margin. 

As others have mentioned, the simplicity and lack of gear required is part of it.  It's much easier to fit a run into my schedule; I have no qualms about running in the early morning dark or in bad weather when I would never consider getting on the bike.

I also find it more relaxing.  The risks of letting your mind wander and dissociating are much lower running than when dodging traffic on your bike.  I can ponder things at work or home without having to worry about getting run down by an inattentive driver (or crashing on my own).

And I can get an endorphin rush after a only couple of miles of running, where it takes much longer on the bike.

Mark

2013-10-02 8:26 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Chicago, IL

I agree. I LOVE swimming. I feel as accomplished after a mile swim, as I do after a 10+ mile run.

So far as this poll is concerned, running beats out cycling by a mile. Cycling is a massive hassle for me with all the preparation, and travel to cycle-worthy roads. If I can't get access to a car, a 4hr ride equals 7-8 hours of time committment. I wish it were different, and maybe some day it will, but not now.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Why Do I Never Enjoy Running? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by klowman
Views: 6207 Posts: 80

2011-08-15 4:06 PM Atlantia

For those who enjoy running...BEWARE...!!!

Started by velorider62
Views: 1759 Posts: 13

2009-03-13 9:34 AM Ace5880

Don't take it Personally, Part Deaux Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by the bear
Views: 4278 Posts: 122

2008-02-29 12:31 AM karhooligan

Don't Take It Personally Pages: 1 2

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 3554 Posts: 46

2008-03-01 7:46 AM drchaya

Cycling training: am i doing it all wrong? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2941 Posts: 27

2005-08-09 10:12 AM Renee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : May 18, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 3
How to get faster and still keep your job and family
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : May 30, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
It is getting better, but I don't know if I should stop running completely until it is gone for good, or if some running is OK. I want it to heal as fast as possible.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
You ride hard enough that you are working but not so hard that you can’t do the same thing the next day. 700 km or 400 miles a week.