General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Want to take the long course plunge....suggestions?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-02 7:54 AM

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Subject: Want to take the long course plunge....suggestions??
Hey everyone I am looking at training for my first ironman for 2014. I live in the south (mississippi) and would like some suggestions on which one I should sign up for, pros, cons etc. thanks

Todd

2013-10-02 1:18 PM
in reply to: trmat79

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Want to take the long course plunge....suggestions??

Hi Todd

Well, much of your decision may have already been made for you as some races filled up for 2014 not long after this year's race.  I would go to ironman.com and look through the list of IM races and it will indicate which ones are still open.  From there you can narrow your choice.  Much depends on what month works best for your work situation, family considerations, and geography.  Good luck!

2013-10-02 1:44 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Elite
Are you only interested in an I'M brand? If so than above post is spot on.....if not rev , challenge, cheapeakeman, IM louisville is.open and probably will be for.some.time.......I'm Florida and Arizona is upcoming but you will need to be aggressive on sign up morning to possibly get spot via computerGood luck
2013-10-02 2:11 PM

You should consider IM Louisville. Should be driving distance from MS. I did IMLOU as my first full this year. It seems IMLOU gets a bad rap from lots of people but I enjoyed it. Time trial swim start so not terribly crowded on the swim - if the 17-hr cutoff is a concern, you'll have to get in line early but the line moves pretty fast and everyone is in the water by 7:40 or so - race cutoff remains midnight. Also the swim will be wetsuit "optional" at best which means if you wear one, you aren't eligible for awards and this year anyone wearing a wetsuit had to start at back of the line. Personally, I can't imagine wearing one as the water was around 80 degrees. August in Louisville is typically hot and humid (high of 91 on race day this year) though you'll train through that in MS. Bike course has constant rollers. Not sure what type of terrain you have to train on. Run is flat. There is some shade on the run which obviously increases the later you are out there.

A big benefit to IMLOU is that it doesn't sell out fast at all. In fact, this year it was announced as a sell out about 3 weeks before the race - which honestly could have just been a registration cutoff for IM to get everything done. I'm thinking next year will be similar as lots of IMLOU racers are probably doing IMCHATT in late September.

The late sell out was the primary reason I raced it as my first. I completed my first 70.3 in early May 2013, then registered for IMLOU in early June.

Good luck!
2013-10-02 6:02 PM
in reply to: jkintn

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
thanks everyone. My gut initally said IM FL but I am worried about the early sell out since i have never done this before. Also there is a chance that before the race I would be transfered (military) and although I can go a ton of places....here, Pensacola and Corpus Christi TX are the likely places. I would like to still be able to do the race even if I move.
2013-10-02 7:14 PM

Just completed my first full at Redman (Oklahoma City), which is also an non-WTC branded event. It is usually the 3rd weekend in September.

Pros:
Cost effective (entry fee about 1/2 of "Branded" event)
Most hotels give a discount if you are with the race (IMTX hotels double their prices race week)
Best staff and volunteers of any type of race I have ever done bar none
Doesn't sell out fast
Smaller group of full racers ( Could be a con, depending on your point of view)
1st timer friendly flat run course
great community of participants

Cons:
Not an official "Ironman" Race ( this may or may not be a con to some, for me it wasn't )
Probably not as many spectators along the bike course as some of the bigger races

2013-10-02 9:45 PM
in reply to: mx119

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Good points. I was thinking that to be an "ironman" it had to be the sanctioned ones but in reality the distance and the challenge is what matters
2013-10-03 6:14 AM

User image

Originally posted by trmat79

Good points. I was thinking that to be an "ironman" it had to be the sanctioned ones but in reality the distance and the challenge is what matters

Ironman just means that it is a race that falls under the WTC brand - there are plenty of USAT sanctioned Iron Distance races that you can participate in
2013-10-03 4:09 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by trmat79 Good points. I was thinking that to be an "ironman" it had to be the sanctioned ones but in reality the distance and the challenge is what matters

This always becomes a heated debate at times.....some believe you must complete an IM brand to be an Ironman, and some even go further thinking you need to complete Kona.......it is just a name and trademark.......I am happy I did do the IM branded race first but plan on doing Challenge AC next year and looking forward to it as much as IMLP.....

In my opinion, if you get your butt across the line accomplishing 140.6 miles you are an Ironman no matter the venue

2013-10-09 3:06 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

I've done IMWI five times, but it helps to be able to sleep in my own bed before race day and train on the course year-round (except during blizzards and deer season). From reading people's blog and talking to others, Wisconsin is great for many reasons, but has some downsides being so popular:

Pros:
Sleeping in my own bed (may not apply to everyone...only have a queen...wife doesn't like to share)
Plenty of hotels (you have to rent a house for Lake Placid), available within 30 minutes up to a week before the race
Doesn't sell out in minutes any more (only within hours now)
Bestest staff and volunteers
Spectators on at least every corner of the entire bike course, packed on the big climbs and in towns
State St. is packed for specators on the run
Great race for families, specators, and people who like to watch and drink beer
Changing rooms and banquet are inside, not in tents
Local air base (good for transfering for Air Force)

Cons:
Hotels within walking distance can be expensive and sell out a year before (check often for cancels, though)
Sells out within hours
3000ish racers
Hilly, challanging bike
Somewhat difficult run too

Ironman Wisconsin is already sold out for this year, but it is a great race to consider in the future. I recommend coming the year before and volunteering so you can preview the course and sign up the day after in the volunteer line.
2013-10-10 7:19 PM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Thanks everyone for the suggestions....I have been looking and with other financial requirements coming up this year I don't thinks tri bike is in the cards right now. I will continue to ride on my roadie (2008 specialized s work roubaix) but I don't know how I feel signing up for an IM on that bike.

2013-10-10 9:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions....I have been looking and with other financial requirements coming up this year I don't thinks tri bike is in the cards right now. I will continue to ride on my roadie (2008 specialized s work roubaix) but I don't know how I feel signing up for an IM on that bike.

I rode a 2004 Specialized Roubaix for my first two IM WI races...the second time I rode a 5:21 split, 20.9 mph average, 59th overall out of 2300. Hopefully that makes you feel better about riding that bike. If you're looking for a better way to gain speed, a TT helmet, aero wheels and no gloves will make you faster...actually they save you about the same about of speed each (MIT did a study about that a few years ago...I'm sure you can find the study if you use the Google). A TT helmet would be about $150-200 you can probably find a fellow triathlete you will lend you wheels for the month leading into your race. Wheels are worth it, but they are a very big investment.

The bike won't make you fast, you make the bike fast...but the bike can make you faster. -Peter Nelson, very wise man
2013-10-11 6:19 AM

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Ok well that is good to know. I just assumed tri bike for IM. Now I have to figure out what training plan (or combination) I want to use over the next 55 weeks
2013-10-11 2:25 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by pnelson

(you have to rent a house for Lake Placid),.

No you don't. Plenty of hotels, motels, cottages, and campgrounds in and around Lake Placid.

2013-10-15 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

You'll be the most comfortable rider in your IM, and certainly not the slowest. Consider clip-on aerobars and re-fitting the roubaix for a more aero position. It's tough if you are on a course where you have to shift a lot, but pays dividends on the long stretches.
2013-11-04 12:39 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by pnelson

(you have to rent a house for Lake Placid),.

No you don't. Plenty of hotels, motels, cottages, and campgrounds in and around Lake Placid.

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't raced IMLP, but I've heard it is hard to get a hotel.

2013-11-04 1:35 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by FranzZemen

You'll be the most comfortable rider in your IM, and certainly not the slowest. Consider clip-on aerobars and re-fitting the roubaix for a more aero position. It's tough if you are on a course where you have to shift a lot, but pays dividends on the long stretches.

I have done two IM's on my Specialized Tarmac roadie without clip-on aerobars (I have carbon handlebars and was told I would need to change them out, so I didn't put any on).

You don't need a tri bike to do an IM.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Want to take the long course plunge....suggestions?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hawaii 70.3 bike course: any suggestion?

Started by Plissken74
Views: 1844 Posts: 9

2013-05-22 5:21 PM Plissken74

Taking the plunge!!

Started by marathonlaura
Views: 1027 Posts: 3

2007-09-09 8:00 PM kjohnson307

IM MOO and Long Course Worlds

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 782 Posts: 4

2006-01-13 11:25 AM Rocket Man

Thinking about doing the pigman long course

Started by pilotncommand172
Views: 1003 Posts: 3

2006-01-23 11:25 AM Birkierunner

Long Course Racing

Started by Kestrel
Views: 898 Posts: 2

2005-03-03 11:20 PM Kestrel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.

date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?
date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.