General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike trainer questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-02 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
, New Jersey
Subject: Bike trainer questions
I'm finally ready to buy a bike trainer. It's getting too cold and dark for me to ride during the week, and I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I don't want to ride outside after my first trimester. I remember hearing great things about the Kurt Kinetic road machine. Just a few questions maybe you guys can help answer?

Does anyone like/dislike this particular trainer? What would you recommend I buy with it to get going? Should I look for a crappy rear tire (or even wheel) to use instead of my good one? Should I buy a climbing block? I used my old roommate's trainer a few times with a spare wheel he had for the trainer, and I don't recall using a climbing block or anything else.

The other questions is about "rollers." I've heard that setup can be less user-friendly, but "feels" more like being on the road. Any opinions? And would I be just as off-balance while pregnant and huge as I would be on the road?

Thanks in advance for all opinions and insight!

2013-10-02 8:44 AM
in reply to: ehughes

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Bike trainer questions

Have it and love it. I have a separate wheel, trainer tire, and cassette to make swapping back and forth easy. Some just use an older tire. I'm on the thing a lot though, and it was worth it to make switching between indoor and outdoor setups easier and I don't have to watch for tire wear so much.

I only got a block to level the bike. Haven't liked climbing blocks, just felt like the bike was adjusted horribly wrong.

Rollers can be great. I have a set, but have been using the trainer more often. Have to be very alert on them and there will be a learning curve. Balance will be super-sensitive compared to what you're used to. Very twitchy. If you stick with it, handling outdoors will improve noticeably.

2013-10-02 8:53 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
I love my KK trainer. You could get a climbing block or save some money and just use a phone book to level your front tire.

If you decide to get rollers, you can get a front fork mount to make it a little more stable until you are ready to give both wheels a try.
2013-10-02 9:15 AM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I've got a trainer and really like it. I'd say I love it but I do prefer riding on the road. What the trainer allows me to do is ride when dark or bad weather. Also, I can do so in the SAFETY of my own garage. Not a perfect substitute for the road but I've never heard of anyone getting hit bu an inattentive driver while on a trainer.
2013-10-02 9:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
I have a KK and a CycleOps2. I prefer the CycleOps but there is nothing wrong with the KK. The only thing I would add is it really helps to have a way to measure you speed/power on the trainer. It makes the time go by much faster and helps with doing intervals so you can see measurable gains. I think it is a lot more comfortable to have the bike level so I built my own block for the front. I also usually just use old tires instead of buying a trainer tire .that I keep on an old wheel. I would swap out the wheel except I keep an old bike in the trainer anyway so it is not an issue.

I have a love hate relationship with the trainer. We are getting along much better now than we used to simply because I can see my gains from trainer workouts. It also makes it easier to do a brick because I can do my ride while it is still dark, run and than still shower and change in time for work. I still suffer doing long rides on the trainer and make every effort to do them outside but probably less than 25% of my riding is on the road.

One other suggestion is to get some king of training videos. Sufferfest, Spinervals or TrainerRoad would all be a good place to start. Also a big fan or multiple fans

Edited by pschriver 2013-10-02 9:49 AM
2013-10-03 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4868882

User image

Veteran
, New Jersey
Thanks guys! I'll start with the KK trainer, telephone book, and a few Spinervals DVDs, then add a power meter next. Maybe I'll graduate to rollers down the line...

2013-10-03 1:19 PM

User image

Master
I think that is a good plan. Pregnancy and rollers probably don't go well together anyway. Nothing wrong with rollers but you do have to concentrate to use them. Otherwise you may/can fall.
2013-10-03 1:32 PM

I did all my mid week work outs on the trainner with Sufferfest videos, i love them the time passes really fast and i always finish spent (even more than out on the road).

If you are pregnant i'd also recomend the trainner rather than learning rollers and having the risk of a fall. I havent used rollers but im sure there is a learning curve.

Make sure the bike is well placed on the trainner and you give the leaver a good snug fit because i belive i am the first person to fall HARD on his kitchen from the bicycle coming loose at the end of the Angels video, Hahaha.

Lastly i'd recomend the trainner wheel, i have riden lots of hours on it and its still strong!!

Good luck!
2013-10-03 1:39 PM
in reply to: svalenzuela

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Depending on where you put your trainer, you may want to have a rubber mat of some type under it.  A fan is something you may to consider as well.
2013-10-03 1:43 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by popsracer Depending on where you put your trainer, you may want to have a rubber mat of some type under it.  A fan is something you may to consider as well.

I would change that to "You will need a good fan, a second fan is something you may consider as well".  

2013-10-03 3:07 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by popsracer Depending on where you put your trainer, you may want to have a rubber mat of some type under it.  A fan is something you may to consider as well.

I would change that to "You will need a good fan, a second fan is something you may consider as well".  

and perhaps a sump pump haha

2013-10-03 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ehughes Thanks guys! I'll start with the KK trainer, telephone book, and a few Spinervals DVDs, then add a power meter next. Maybe I'll graduate to rollers down the line...

Before the power meter, consider TrainerRoad -- you can set up Virtual Power for $10/month (or less if you go with their yearly plan) to see if you enjoy riding with power.

And if you're anything like me, that phone book isn't going to last....I create a giant puddle in my climbing block, so I can only imagine how soggy and disgusting that phone book would be!

Oh, and I second the rubber mat and big fan as well.

2013-10-03 5:50 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

Before the power meter, consider TrainerRoad -- you can set up Virtual Power for $10/month (or less if you go with their yearly plan) to see if you enjoy riding with power.

And if you're anything like me, that phone book isn't going to last....I create a giant puddle in my climbing block, so I can only imagine how soggy and disgusting that phone book would be!

Oh, and I second the rubber mat and big fan as well.

Ok, tell me more about this TrainerRoad. Do you use it now? How long have you used it? Details, details.
2013-10-03 5:56 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by metafizx
Originally posted by axteraa

and perhaps a sump pump haha

No doubt.  I have my trainer on a Cycleops mat and the other day there was a big puddle on the carpet next to the pad.  Sweat just ran off the mat into the carpet.  Usually I have a small towel draped over the cockpit but had forgotten.

And I never use a fan as I'm in constant acclimation mode for one day going back and racing on the Big Island.

2013-10-04 6:39 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

New user
Green Bay
trainer road is a web based program that will work with ant+ or bluetooth smart technology and will give you real time data on your trainer rides, it also calculates "virtual power" based on the trainer you use. You can export the data to apps like garmin connect, etc. If you use the sufferfest videos they work together very well.

If budget is not a huge deal I'd consider getting a wahoo kickr, I've had mine for a couple of weeks and it's made indoor riding much easier.
2013-10-04 6:49 AM
in reply to: wisconmd

Veteran
two things that are a must that go with trainers are: trainerroad and thesufferfest. they should actually have material inside the trainer box. they are that important. you can usually go to the lbs and get take offs. mine gives them to me for free.

2013-10-04 7:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

TrainerRoad uses your speed (so you need a speed sensor on the rear wheel) and known power curve for your trainer to calculate Virtual Power -- they have a huge list of workouts to choose from that are based on your power output.  They also have ride profiles for each of the Sufferfest workouts, which make the workouts even better, imo.

I like it for a number of reasons....a couple of which are having a goal right in front of my face gives me motivation to stay on the trainer, and it really gives you an unbiased way to track your progress.

I've used TrainerRoad for about a year now, and just recently bought a power meter because I enjoyed training with power.  Even using real power instead of Virtual Power, I still use TrainerRoad 3-4 times a week.

Edited by ligersandtions 2013-10-04 7:21 AM
2013-10-04 6:47 PM

User image

Regular
The Kinetic website has power curves that will allow you to determine your WATTS if you can determine your speed.

They even sell a little computer that will display WATTS if you like.

Check out Jorge's cycling indoor cycling plan in the challenge section.
2013-10-04 7:57 PM

Spring/Woodlands Area
Definitely a couple of fans. During my last pregnancy, I had one for the body and one for the chest and face. And still ended up bringing the bike inside because it was pretty hot in the garage. Be ready to adjust fit as you progress. Be mindful of the flooring. Getting on and off gets to be an adventure around 7 months. Be prepared to look like an Easter egg (9 months pregnant plus hi vis bike jersey). Mostly be careful and discuss with your doc frequently. Good luck.
2013-10-04 8:02 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
If you already have an ANT+ speed/cadence meter there is a free download, GoldenCheetah v3 that will do virtual power.It will save the monthly subscription cost to Trainer Road. If you decide to try Trainer Road I believe the first month is free. You will have to get the speed/cadence meter to use Trainer Road
2013-10-04 9:03 PM
in reply to: KIELBASA

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Originally posted by KIELBASA The Kinetic website has power curves that will allow you to determine your WATTS if you can determine your speed. They even sell a little computer that will display WATTS if you like. Check out Jorge's cycling indoor cycling plan in the challenge section.
I made a large spreadsheet for the BT/Coach Jorge Winter Cycling plan that uses the KK power curve formula (modified per TR). Do the two tests, input the speed averages in the spreadsheet and print out the respective phase worksheet and each week is ready to go until the next test phase. Not as interactive as TrainerRoad but its a quick cheap way to start with virtual power and has gotten me from 20.5 to 23.5 mph in sprints.  If anyone is interested in the spreadsheet let me know and I'll email it to you.

2013-10-05 5:35 PM

I have a Comptrainer that has been in use since 2004 with no issues. Multiple software options including power output readings. Quiet. The upfront expense is the downside.
2013-10-06 10:55 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

can you send it to me, please
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike trainer questions Rss Feed