General Discussion Race Reports! » S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Weatherby Lake, Missouri
United States
S.W.A.T.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 25s
Overall Rank = 6/44
Age Group = M40+
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

This was the 3rd annual S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon. This is a living memorial to Staff Sgt. Jeremy Katzenberger who was killed by enemy forces during a heavy firefight while conducting combat operations in Paktika province, Afghanistan.

Woke up at 5:00, took a quick wakeup showeer, had a little cereal, mounted the bike then headed over to Frank's house. We car-pooled up to the lake, got there around 7:10 and picked up our packet and got body marked. This is a very low key race that has grown to now 200 participants. To give you an idea, the first year my transition spot was a tree and there was no chip timing. It wouldn't bother me one bit if it was still that way.
Event warmup:

Racked my bike in the middle of a rack that was centered on the swim exit. We chit-chatted for a while, then payed attention to the RD as he went over course details then we heard some very inspiring and uplifting words from our fallen hero's parents. After the national anthem we strolled into the water. Relay teams went off first, then it was us "long course" folks. Both long and short course have an 11 mile bike, 3.1 mile run. The only different is the long course swim is 1200 yards, the short course swim is 400 yards.
Swim
  • 19m 1s
  • 1200 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wading start. The wave was pretty wide spread, about 44 swimmers spread 20 wide with a cuople feet in between. So it was interesting to see where the tip of thw sword would form. I ended up around the 10th or so position after the initial haul a$$ start. I pretty muched stayed in that position most of the way. My buddy Pete and i were side by side for most of the swim.

Coming back after the far turnaround it was hard to see the last turn bouy. There was a boat there that I knew was close to being in line with the bouy so I just aimed for that. I also looked over to see what Pete was doing to double check myself. We both were doing the same thing turns out. One of those post race "I was hoping you were going the right way.....me too!"
What would you do differently?:

Not much. it was an O.K. swim. I was hoping to go closer to 1:30 pace but not enough swimming volume this year to expect that.
Transition 1
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

A fast T1 for me. The run from the beach to the bike wasn't all that long though. Had the 4th fastest T1 of the day. It's funny because there's a picture of my friend Pete ahead of me coming out of the water with his goggles and cap already off. There's me behind him not even looking in the right direction with my cap still on and my hand on my goggles.

Look more like a seasoned triathlete for the camera......
Bike
  • 30m 29s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Pete and I cam out of transition about the same time. There were 3 riders just ahead of us and going 3 wide of course. So once clipped in I looked back to see if I could swing left, Pete said go for it.

After those three there were a few more slower riders in the first mile or so then it cleared out a bit. The course has a few short rollers and lots of turns so it's hard to throw down a 22-23 mph+ bike split here, especially at my size (yes, I'm using my 195# as an excuse for not havnig the fastest bike split of the dsy, LOL). Pete and I stayed neck and neck most of the way, trading places taking the lead. I remember one guy pasing me at some point, but also remember passing him back. At l;east for a stretch he seemed to be averaging the same speed as Pete and I. But besides him I don't remember being passed by anyone else, neither does Pete.

As we approached transition Pete and I passed the young 15 year old phenom Smith girl, I think she had a couple minutes on us coming out of the water. She passed us back up as we dismounted into transition. She's a good runner so I knew she would smoke the womens field not to mention me. I was hoping Pete would have it in him to hold her off. She won her AG at Hy-Vee 5150 in Des Moines BTW, by a LOT.

I think I could have ridden a bit faster but there was some rubbing going on when I got out of the saddle. I think it was my rear brake pads rubbing against the wheel. I checked afterwards and nothing seemed to be out of place. Further investigation required...

Not sure, maybe mechanical check?
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

For me, this was a quick transition but the run from the mat to my bike was pretty short.

I'd have to watch a video of the guy that had a sub 30 second transition to tell you .....
Run
  • 22m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Pete and I came out of T2 and I told him that he had at least 45 seconds on A. Smith and not to let him catch up! A. Smith was phenom girls father, both really good athletes. I knew I had no chance of holding off Smith so my goal was to hold off anyone else that might come along. After Pete took off I just settled into what I believed to be a pace I could hold for 3 miles. Smith passed me at around mile 1 or so, there was no staying with that pace. The run was pretty uneventful, I passed a couple guys along the way, also passed/said hello to Lyndsay, my friend Franks daughter who was part of his relay.

Eventually I turned the corner to head home, brought it in strong. There was Pete, beer in hand already.

Not much. Run was executed to the best of my current ability.
Post race
Warm down:

About 10 yards from the finish line there were kegs of Boulevard Pale Ale and Unfiltered Wheat. Nice!! I think I had 1 Pale Ale and three Wheats. I normally just want chocolate Milk but this being just a sprint I felt OK with the beer. There was an awards ceremony afterwards but we were needing to get back. Pete got 3rd overall, held off Mr. Smith.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could talk all day about that .....

Event comments:

A very fun race put on by some great people. Hats off the Ryan Sutton the RD for making this happen. The folks at Weatherby Lake are great hosts, not all of them welcome the race scene with open arms, most do but Ryan does have some challenges to make this happen.

I look forward to participating in this race again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:01 | 1200 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 10/44
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot 1-piece Tri Suit
Course: Triangular swim, CW
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:29 | 11 miles | 21.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 4/44
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: A one lap 11 mile course with lots of turns and rolling hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:24 | 03.1 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 12/44
Performance: Good
Course: One loop through the neighborhood around the Lake, rolling hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-02 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon

2013-10-03 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4869425

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon

More than a name on a wall, indeed.  Thanks for putting the pics up with this - looks like a great race with something more than just s/b/r.  Those are the best.

And - great race for you!  Podium!!  Laughing

Congrats on the finish and thanks for conveying the sentiment of a race in tribute to someone who fell in service to the county, out on the pointy end of the spear.

Matt

2013-10-03 9:59 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon
Thanks Matt,

I'll always remember the first year they had this race. They didn't have bike racks, my transition spot was a TREE! There was no chip timing, just some volunteers with pads of paper & pencils at the finish line. My buddy Pete and I were coming into the finish and he slowed down to let me take 3rd OA but I refused since he's clearly faster, and he stopped during the bike ride when I fell over going up a hill. So I compromised and said let's cross the line at the same time. When they posted the results, they had him ahead of my by 8 seconds, Perfect!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon

Started by reecealan
Views: 1402 Posts: 12

2012-08-28 4:53 PM reecealan

S.W.A.T. Memorial Triathlon

Started by ccoffin
Views: 1036 Posts: 1

2012-08-26 2:59 PM ccoffin

S.W.A.T. Triathlon

Started by nickster
Views: 1010 Posts: 1

2010-09-24 5:54 AM nickster

S.W.A.T. Triathlon

Started by woodbldr
Views: 1334 Posts: 4

2010-09-27 11:05 AM nickster

Jeremy Herbstritt Memorial 5K Run/Walk

Started by Lyons#01
Views: 1028 Posts: 1

2009-04-23 7:58 AM Lyons#01
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : July 31, 2005
comments : 5
Your self-image serves as the operating instructions of your subconscious computer. If you don’t change the operating system, you will be doomed to repeat your past mistakes.

date : December 14, 2004
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 2
I used mine all of the time. They were handy, entitling me to drink, smoke cigarettes, binge on food and pursue other addictive behavior.