General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Caloric Deficit and Racing Weight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-03 7:03 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Caloric Deficit and Racing Weight
With the mileage you are running, if you maintain solid nutritional habits (minimizing processed foods and sugar, controlling late-night snacking, etc.) I'm guessing the weight will eventually take care of itself. Everyone's body is different, but if you're still fairly new to running, and doing that kind of mileage, it takes time for the body to adapt to it, and one of those adaptations is a gradual loss of weight/fat. I'd focus less on calorie counting and more on really making sure that what you put into yourself is quality fuel, not empty calories. Calorie-counting can lead to a whole range of issues like denial, binges, and guilt, etc. which can really be counterproductive to health and running. Also, there is some research suggesting that for some women who do a lot of endurance training and restrict calories, running a persistent caloric deficit, metabolism can slow down and make weight loss very difficult. Probably the body's attempt to preserve fat for a potential baby in what the body perceives as a food shortage situation. It's hard to fight biology.

I don't know when you train but "running on empty" in the morning tends to kick-start the metabolism. (Probably not a good idea for very long runs, but anything within an hour or so should be doable.) I usually don't do that now, because at this point in my life (living in the developing world, with a physical job/lifestyle as well as training) I often have trouble keeping weight on (plus I'd be trying to steal my students' snacks), but it seemed to work well when I needed to lose a few pounds. It also may be helpful in training your body to use carbs more efficiently in long races.

2013-10-04 9:00 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by Hot RunnerWith the mileage you are running, if you maintain solid nutritional habits (minimizing processed foods and sugar, controlling late-night snacking, etc.) I'm guessing the weight will eventually take care of itself. Everyone's body is different, but if you're still fairly new to running, and doing that kind of mileage, it takes time for the body to adapt to it, and one of those adaptations is a gradual loss of weight/fat. I'd focus less on calorie counting and more on really making sure that what you put into yourself is quality fuel, not empty calories. Calorie-counting can lead to a whole range of issues like denial, binges, and guilt, etc. which can really be counterproductive to health and running. Also, there is some research suggesting that for some women who do a lot of endurance training and restrict calories, running a persistent caloric deficit, metabolism can slow down and make weight loss very difficult. Probably the body's attempt to preserve fat for a potential baby in what the body perceives as a food shortage situation. It's hard to fight biology.I don't know when you train but "running on empty" in the morning tends to kick-start the metabolism. (Probably not a good idea for very long runs, but anything within an hour or so should be doable.) I usually don't do that now, because at this point in my life (living in the developing world, with a physical job/lifestyle as well as training) I often have trouble keeping weight on (plus I'd be trying to steal my students' snacks), but it seemed to work well when I needed to lose a few pounds. It also may be helpful in training your body to use carbs more efficiently in long races.
Awesome feedback. I hear ya about getting caught up in the calorie counting. I'm really not even talking about shedding a whole lot (maybe 1% body fat?) and honestly you are probably right in that it will take care of itself with training so long as I'm smart about what I do eat.Thanks again!
2013-10-04 9:26 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
At the risk of sounding stupid, what IS racing weight????
2013-10-04 9:31 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by RollergirlAt the risk of sounding stupid, what IS racing weight????
Nothing stupid about that...the short answer is that it is the optimal weight and body composition for an individual athlete that allows them to perform the best.
2013-10-04 9:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Rollergirl At the risk of sounding stupid, what IS racing weight????

As academic as I like to be in everything, this is a subject I'm not, but since this is the internet, I'll give what I think when I think racing weight.

I'm normally 155.  If I get above 158, I start "feeling" out of shape.  I simply feel sluggish and not athletic.  If I get below 150, I start feeling lethargic and weak.  However, When I'm around 151 pounds, I feel amazing.  I feel light and it's as if my steps have an extra level of spring in them.  I feel like I can go.  I've never felt like that and had a bad race.  

However it's very difficult for me to hold that weight, so I only really try to get there when I have a race coming up, since I can usually only hold that weight for a week or two.

2013-10-04 9:35 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by RollergirlAt the risk of sounding stupid, what IS racing weight????
Nothing stupid about that...the short answer is that it is the optimal weight and body composition for an individual athlete that allows them to perform the best.

Thanks, It all makes sense now I just couldn't figure it out. I thought about a weight class, like in boxing or other fight sports but it didn't make sense. Very interesting.

2013-10-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by Rollergirl At the risk of sounding stupid, what IS racing weight????

As academic as I like to be in everything, this is a subject I'm not, but since this is the internet, I'll give what I think when I think racing weight.

I'm normally 155.  If I get above 158, I start "feeling" out of shape.  I simply feel sluggish and not athletic.  If I get below 150, I start feeling lethargic and weak.  However, When I'm around 151 pounds, I feel amazing.  I feel light and it's as if my steps have an extra level of spring in them.  I feel like I can go.  I've never felt like that and had a bad race.  

However it's very difficult for me to hold that weight, so I only really try to get there when I have a race coming up, since I can usually only hold that weight for a week or two.

Wow, I'll have to find what mine is. I always thought that your "natural weight" is the one you always get back to, even if you would like to weigh under a certain number in your head (my case) So that would be easy to maintain, but maybe it's not the same as racing weight.
2013-10-04 9:47 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Wow, I'll have to find what mine is. I always thought that your "natural weight" is the one you always get back to, even if you would like to weigh under a certain number in your head (my case) So that would be easy to maintain, but maybe it's not the same as racing weight.

I've just reread your answer and you wrote it, it's not the same, your naturlal weight is 155, and your racing weight is 151
2013-10-04 11:08 AM

User image

Seattle

I've just reread your answer and you wrote it, it's not the same, your naturlal weight is 155, and your racing weight is 151

Yes, exactly.

Your racing weight is not sustainable and should probably not be held for an extended period of time.

2013-10-04 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yes, exactly.

Your racing weight is not sustainable and should probably not be held for an extended period of time.

Bingo!  My natural weight ranges around 172lbs but racing weight (which I'm still trying to nail one of these days) I think is around 160-165.  

2013-10-04 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

Yes, exactly.

Very well put. I thought my ideal race weight was ~150. Then I got down to 146. Then I raced IMAZ at 138 and felt great (except for the run because, well, it's running). I raced most the the bike season in the low 140's and plumped up in the off season to the mid/high 140's. I'm now working my way back to the high 130's because that's when I was fastest and felt he best. But I know it's not sustainable all year. It also conflicts with my other goal - the annihilation of chocolate via my mouth.

2013-10-04 12:18 PM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by MonkeyClaw

Yes, exactly.

Very well put. I thought my ideal race weight was ~150. Then I got down to 146. Then I raced IMAZ at 138 and felt great (except for the run because, well, it's running). I raced most the the bike season in the low 140's and plumped up in the off season to the mid/high 140's. I'm now working my way back to the high 130's because that's when I was fastest and felt he best. But I know it's not sustainable all year. It also conflicts with my other goal - the annihilation of chocolate via my mouth.

Oh! Glad to see someone with similar goals. Mine is slightly different, still mouth annihilation, but with beer Smile

2013-10-04 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by MonkeyClaw

Yes, exactly.

Oh! Glad to see someone with similar goals. Mine is slightly different, still mouth annihilation, but with beer Smile

We live in the same world.  Damn beer, if I didn't love you so much.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Caloric Deficit and Racing Weight Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

CALORIE DEFICIT

Started by mchadcota2
Views: 835 Posts: 5

2012-07-15 10:36 PM Dan Estrada

Having trouble hitting caloric deficits with current training plan. Pages: 1 2 3

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 4612 Posts: 59

2011-01-07 11:59 AM TriMyBest

garmin caloric readout

Started by jszat
Views: 595 Posts: 8

2007-06-07 3:29 PM Bill

Calorie Deficit

Started by Afletcher
Views: 1345 Posts: 19

2007-06-04 8:58 PM GulfCoastSwimmer

caloric intake?

Started by skibum71
Views: 1395 Posts: 11

2007-01-24 9:56 AM Daremo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.
date : September 8, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on acclimating to the heat on race day, race caloric intake, and how lactate threshold (LT) relates to heart rate zones with changes in fitness.

date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.
date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.
date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?