General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Caloric Deficit and Racing Weight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-02 3:31 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Caloric Deficit and Racing Weight
When is the best time  to drop some pounds and get closer to "racing weight?" Is this before you start your event specific training or during? If it is during, what is a safe caloric deficit to have while training at a high level?

2013-10-02 3:36 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Caloric Deficit and Racing Weight
IME it's really hard to do it during and you're better off going at it before you move into race specific work.  I'm currently doing the same thing, officially start the Boston ramp in December so spending now til then trying to kick some 10 pounds.  
2013-10-02 3:43 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
I agree with the previous poster. I'm trying to do it now.
2013-10-02 4:45 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
first question would be how do you know your race weight?
2013-10-02 5:15 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Originally posted by bcagle25

first question would be how do you know your race weight?

Easy: if you're have a lot higher body fat % than most tri-people you can probably afford to lose some :-)

Hard: Only racing at different weight can you actual determine your race weight..

I know at ~21% body fat male, I'm nowhere near race weight and can lose some.. Don't think my belly is doing me any favors bouncing around on the run or flapping in the wind on the bike.
2013-10-02 5:20 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by bcagle25 first question would be how do you know your race weight?

I have a ballpark of where I have been and how I performed. It IS trial and error as it works different for different people but I know for a fact (based on BF%) that I can safely lose a certain amount. How much exactly IS the experiment.

2013-10-02 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I don't have any science to back it up, but assuming you'll have to restrict calories and won't lose the weight just by increased training volume I would think it will be easier on your body and to your training to drop the weight early during a base phase.
2013-10-02 6:11 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
I worked on it last pre-season and during training.  I found that going into a calorie deficit situation (500 cal/day) resulted in a lack of energy.  I felt tired all the time and during extended workouts would feel a lot more tired at the end than I had previously.  I upped my calorie intake and got back to feeling 'normal' and could train per the plan without pooping out.
2013-10-02 8:44 PM

Master
Northern IL
It's been stated a few ways already, but again, outside of when your training load will be pushing the most. You'll need the replenishment to recover well during that. Some weight loss can still happen then, but making it a focus would likely be too much.
2013-10-02 9:18 PM
in reply to: brigby1

I would say 95% of us are not training hard enough to worry about replacing calories. Unless your workouts are greater than 2 hours at a time, water is sufficient. I can only speak for myself, I start training in January, and lose weight until hitting race weight around June, then hold it until Nov. Then I drift upward in December and start over again in January.
2013-10-02 9:54 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by ziggie204 I would say 95% of us are not training hard enough to worry about replacing calories. Unless your workouts are greater than 2 hours at a time, water is sufficient. I can only speak for myself, I start training in January, and lose weight until hitting race weight around June, then hold it until Nov. Then I drift upward in December and start over again in January.

The OP is most definitely training hard enough to worry about calorie replacement, as are many others who have posted in this thread :)

Salty, from what I've read, anything more than 500 calories a day, day after day, could be big trouble for performance.

One of the strategies I've read is to restrict evening calories a bit. Not so much that you have trouble sleeping, but not doing an after-dinner graze that endurance athletes can tend to do (present company excluded, of course).

Another strategy to this can be eating a normal amount of calories, for 2-3 days, and doing a bigger restriction on the fourth day (so roughly twice a week), of 1000 calories or so, again, primarily in the evening, if possible. Trying to line up your low cal days with your lighter training days.  2000 total caloric deficit for the week (so a little more than half a pound assuming a pound is 3500 cals), could equal weight loss of 1lb/2weeks.  Over the long haul, not too painful...

Finding race weight is tricky.  I am technically very lean, but am heavier than I think is ideal for endurance racing.  So mine is a bit of a different situation in that my body fat shouldn't go any lower, but I am still "probably" carrying too much LBM to perform at my optimum levels in triathlon.

2013-10-02 9:55 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I think it's more mental than anything, unless you're running a pretty big deficit. Most people don't notice a couple hundred calories a day one way or the other, regardless of training. You'll notice it when you tell yourself you can't have it though.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!
2013-10-02 10:51 PM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

I'm a big guy who constantly battles his weight. If I lose more than 1lb a week, I can start to feel it.

I was an AVID weightlifter/bodybuilder. When I would cut for the summer, I'd just starve myself and realize my workouts would suck.

I can't imagine going into the deep parts of your race mileage on a big calorie deficit. If you've got to cut, cut now.
2013-10-03 6:08 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
In the off-season... much easier to control your caloric intake when you don't need to worry about racing performance. If you're talking a few lbs., then that can be done during the season, I wouldn't recommend trying to lose weight right before a longer race (HIM/IM... you simply need the energy to finish).

It's very easy to be in caloric deficit during the season... especially the weeks we have longer distance training on the schedule.
2013-10-03 8:30 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Greetings,.. Long time lurker, 1st time poster here. You may find some good answers in the book "Racing Weight". http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Weight-Lean-Peak-Performance/dp/193403...
I read the book last off-season, and it has helped me drop 20lbs while keeping performance intact.
2013-10-03 9:49 AM
in reply to: bmetjb

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by bmetjbGreetings,.. Long time lurker, 1st time poster here. You may find some good answers in the book "Racing Weight". http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Weight-Lean-Peak-Performance/dp/193403... read the book last off-season, and it has helped me drop 20lbs while keeping performance intact.
nice! Now that you've broken the seal, post more

2013-10-03 10:00 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Big drops, before.  Minor tweaks you can do during.

Saw a study (can't find ref but will look) in cycling - talk about weight obsessed... the pros make supermodels look like pigs - that compared dropping weight to building power to trying to do both.  Either alone resulted in net improvements to W/kg, but combining them sent them backwards (or had much much smaller net gains).  Different sport, same idea...

You can likely run a minor deficit during training (couple hundred to a few hundred kcal per day), but much more than that and you'll likely feel like carp.  Just remember to fuel/recover from the workouts (and not graze at night) and you can fine tune your weight, but any bigger deltas probably are better done before the meat of training.

iow, what ^^^ they said.  Wink

Matt

2013-10-03 10:09 AM
in reply to: bmetjb

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by bmetjbGreetings,.. Long time lurker, 1st time poster here. You may find some good answers in the book "Racing Weight". http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Weight-Lean-Peak-Performance/dp/193403... read the book last off-season, and it has helped me drop 20lbs while keeping performance intact.
Yeah, I have the book and HIGHLY recommend it. I just don't have it accessible at the moment (ie was being lazy.)Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
2013-10-03 10:11 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Big drops, before.  Minor tweaks you can do during.

Saw a study (can't find ref but will look) in cycling - talk about weight obsessed... the pros make supermodels look like pigs - that compared dropping weight to building power to trying to do both.  Either alone resulted in net improvements to W/kg, but combining them sent them backwards (or had much much smaller net gains).  Different sport, same idea...

You can likely run a minor deficit during training (couple hundred to a few hundred kcal per day), but much more than that and you'll likely feel like carp.  Just remember to fuel/recover from the workouts (and not graze at night) and you can fine tune your weight, but any bigger deltas probably are better done before the meat of training.

iow, what ^^^ they said.  Wink

Matt

Those are some great points Matt. And speaking of weight obsessed ... Yeah it can be a bit of a slippery slope and something I'm very conscious of.
2013-10-03 10:14 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Calorie deficit is a tricky thing. I've lost about 115 pounds, and I've been stuck at 185 for about a year now - committing to getting rid of those last 15 to 20 is hard, since almost any non-controlled meal is a week's setback. My goal is around 9% or 10% bodyfat, where I'm at about 17% now.

One thing to pay attention to is that, even if you eat at BMR during the week, or at a base deficit, a big meal on the weekends, or birthday cake, or a night of drinking, or a special event can pretty easily wipe out all the gains you made in those workouts.

For me, running a 600 to 800 deficit doesn't seem to have a noticeable impact on training. That's basically eating at BMR and then 1 good workout a day. Going to doubles or long workouts though, and all I want to do is eat, eat, eat.

My plan and goal is to base-build this winter (bike-focused), and cut the weight now, so that when I ramp up for full-distance training, I can eat and build real power.

2013-10-03 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm 30 days out from IMFL. I'm in week 2 of a big build phase. I'm 5'11 and I tend to race around 160-165. A month or ago I was at 175. This morning I'm at 170. I'm eating everything in the house. However, the weight is still coming off. I feel fine...now. However, I'm not sure how\why I'm losing it since I'm eating more. I wonder when I will see the performance drop.

2013-10-03 12:48 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by ziggie204 I would say 95% of us are not training hard enough to worry about replacing calories. Unless your workouts are greater than 2 hours at a time, water is sufficient. I can only speak for myself, I start training in January, and lose weight until hitting race weight around June, then hold it until Nov. Then I drift upward in December and start over again in January.

The OP is most definitely training hard enough to worry about calorie replacement, as are many others who have posted in this thread

Salty, from what I've read, anything more than 500 calories a day, day after day, could be big trouble for performance.

One of the strategies I've read is to restrict evening calories a bit. Not so much that you have trouble sleeping, but not doing an after-dinner graze that endurance athletes can tend to do (present company excluded, of course).

Another strategy to this can be eating a normal amount of calories, for 2-3 days, and doing a bigger restriction on the fourth day (so roughly twice a week), of 1000 calories or so, again, primarily in the evening, if possible. Trying to line up your low cal days with your lighter training days.  2000 total caloric deficit for the week (so a little more than half a pound assuming a pound is 3500 cals), could equal weight loss of 1lb/2weeks.  Over the long haul, not too painful...

Finding race weight is tricky.  I am technically very lean, but am heavier than I think is ideal for endurance racing.  So mine is a bit of a different situation in that my body fat shouldn't go any lower, but I am still "probably" carrying too much LBM to perform at my optimum levels in triathlon.

Thanks, love!

And very interesting strategy. I hadn't though of it over 2 weeks and cutting on the easy days. Probably the biggest hurdle I see is that easy days are usually "recovery" days and solid nutrition is a very important part of that. Lots to think about.

2013-10-03 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

There was a good blog post I saw about this.  Gimme a sec.

Edit: Found it!  Pretty interesting stuff!

http://twobordens.blogspot.com/2013/05/nutrition-strategy-and-racing-weight.html

Edited by msteiner 2013-10-03 1:24 PM
2013-10-03 2:40 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by msteiner

http://twobordens.blogspot.com/2013/05/nutrition-strategy-and-racing-weight.html

Oh man, I love this line from this blog: If you want to look better in a bikini, go for muscle hypertrophy. If you want to be faster, think concentration camp refugee with cancer.
2013-10-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by Oysterboy
Originally posted by msteiner

Oh man, I love this line from this blog: If you want to look better in a bikini, go for muscle hypertrophy. If you want to be faster, think concentration camp refugee with cancer.

A key point to this blog post is the follow-up at the end.  Interesting!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Caloric Deficit and Racing Weight Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

CALORIE DEFICIT

Started by mchadcota2
Views: 837 Posts: 5

2012-07-15 10:36 PM Dan Estrada

Having trouble hitting caloric deficits with current training plan. Pages: 1 2 3

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 4623 Posts: 59

2011-01-07 11:59 AM TriMyBest

garmin caloric readout

Started by jszat
Views: 596 Posts: 8

2007-06-07 3:29 PM Bill

Calorie Deficit

Started by Afletcher
Views: 1347 Posts: 19

2007-06-04 8:58 PM GulfCoastSwimmer

caloric intake?

Started by skibum71
Views: 1395 Posts: 11

2007-01-24 9:56 AM Daremo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.
date : September 8, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on acclimating to the heat on race day, race caloric intake, and how lactate threshold (LT) relates to heart rate zones with changes in fitness.

date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.
date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.
date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?