General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Untrained sprint? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Untrained sprint?
OptionResults
STOP BEING A BABY! You're just trying to save $80, aren't you?30 Votes - [100%]
Don't be stupid. Don't put your job and your run streak in jeopardy.0 Votes - [0%]

2013-10-03 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Untrained sprint?
I've always been the one to say you could finish your beer, stub out your cigarette, step up to the swim start, and finish a sprint triathlon. I still believe that, but now I have the opportunity to put it to the test and I'm askeered. I'm a daily runner (20-25 mpw) but I haven't been in the water in over a year and I haven't been on my bike in even longer. I'm pretty sure I can finish, but I am worried about injuring myself.

What does BT think? Comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2013-10-03 12:28 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Subject: RE: Untrained sprint?
Originally posted by mrheathen

I've always been the one to say you could finish your beer, stub out your cigarette, step up to the swim start, and finish a sprint triathlon. I still believe that, but now I have the opportunity to put it to the test and I'm askeered. I'm a daily runner (20-25 mpw) but I haven't been in the water in over a year and I haven't been on my bike in even longer. I'm pretty sure I can finish, but I am worried about injuring myself.

I did my first sprint with no real training.. got my bike about 3 weeks before the race.. maybe put on 100 miles on it .. swam a few times in the pool prior. Of course I was a swimmer in high school, was swimming 2+ miles in the pool a few years prior to the Tri and have always been comfortable in water. Biked a bunch when I was a kid, and running.. well almost everybody can walk.

I think the hardest thing for most people would be the swim followed by the ability to actually do something endurance related for 1.5-2.5 hours. Running 20mpw you have no problem with the time part. It'd be the swim and your comfort level in water, assuming you rode a bike when you were young.

Now could the average person get off the couch and do a sprint? I highly doubt it. for every 1 person you find that could do that, I could probably find 100 that couldn't.
2013-10-03 12:48 PM
in reply to: r3dey3

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
You'll be fine. Just don't go crazy and expect to PR
2013-10-03 3:29 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
As long as you're confident of being safe in the water, go for it.
2013-10-03 5:57 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
I think at your weekly running volume you should be fine without injuring yourself.  Aside from an accident in the water or on the bike it's hard to hurt yourself in those segments.
2013-10-03 6:28 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by zed707

As long as you're confident of being safe in the water, go for it.

+1 Just go easy and you'll finish

2013-10-03 6:49 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It all depends on your swim skills and confidence. If you can easily swim the distance and are comfortable with open water, then there should be no problem. (Just be sure to at least get in the water with your wetsuit at least once before the race!) If not, then forget about it. Most adults can ride a bike, if not fast, and it shouldn't be hard for a well-conditioned runner to complete a 20 km ride. (I did my first Oly on almost no bike training, and I was fine, albeit 123/136 on the bike leg!) But you really should get in the water and evaluate your ability to complete the swim--if you can't do a slightly longer distance in the pool (like 1000m), or the race distance in open water, don't do it, or maybe see if there's a du you could "du" instead.
2013-10-03 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4870123

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
I think there is a big difference between an "untrained" Sprint when you've done them in the past and are still in good shape, versus getting off the couch and doing one.
2013-10-04 5:57 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You'll have the fitness for it from the running, but that could actually be a negative... Be very tentative to the signals from your body. Your cardiovascular fitness won't be the limiter, but your muscle endurance more than likely will. Set the pace accordingly and try not to get caught up in the adrenaline and competitiveness of racing...
2013-10-04 6:24 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

It's not like you're a triathlon rookie, so you should know what to expect. 

In your old race reports you mention several times that you should have trained more, so this race should just be more of the same, only slower.  Nothing wrong with that as long as you're just trying to have fun.

Mark

2013-10-04 3:04 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by mrheathen

You can certainly finish, if that's your goal. It's like marathons...lots of people do them with minimal training. I regularly see people having a great time in Sprint triathlons that are there just for the fun of it. They finish the event just fine. But, you can tell they are new at it because they are back-stroking 50 yards into the swim, they are riding a fat tire mountain bikes on the pavement and can't run a lick. But so what? They are having a great time.

That said, there is a huge difference between "finishing" a sprint distance event and "racing" a sprint distance event. In my slightly older age group (55-59) it's pretty common to see the top tier old guys finish the 800 swim in 12-13 minutes, the 12 mile bike in 33-34 minutes (22 mph or so) and the 5K in 22-23 minutes (7:15-7:30 pace). So, if you can do that, come on out and you'll be quite welcome to finish my beer and stomp out my cigarette to boot.

2013-10-04 5:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
As a daily runner you should do fine. As someone note above, to me untrained means coming off the couch. I did my first local sprint a few years ago after averaging about 35 mpw running with no swimming or riding and came in 2nd in my AG. Out of 16 people in my AG (50-54) I was the seventh fastest swimmer, fourth fastest on the bike and beat everyone in my AG on the run by over 1 minute.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Untrained sprint? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Two sprints 3 & 4 weeks before A sprint race????

Started by GraceVanOwen
Views: 843 Posts: 3

2011-05-04 9:50 PM Corncub

Newbie: What to do Sprint/ Mini Sprint/ NONE

Started by cannastar
Views: 665 Posts: 2

2009-09-20 7:38 AM marmadaddy

Completed my 1st Tri-It Sprint using a Couch to Sprint; Now what?

Started by brihilsa
Views: 787 Posts: 4

2009-06-20 11:09 PM brihilsa

mini sprint vs sprint

Started by maxmansmom
Views: 2276 Posts: 11

2009-01-02 3:47 PM maxmansmom

Sprint in 4 wks, just did super sprint... help need build

Started by BbMoozer
Views: 742 Posts: 4

2006-07-17 4:32 PM Stone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.