Other Resources The Political Joe » News report of active shooter on capitol hill Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-03 1:40 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: News report of active shooter on capitol hill
That is all

2013-10-03 1:55 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: News report of active shooter on capitol hill

Hopefully he gets to keep it up until we get to replace all the monkeys at once.

2013-10-03 1:58 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Pro
Originally posted by cgregg

Hopefully he gets to keep it up until we get to replace all the monkeys at once.

Damn.  LOL

2013-10-03 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Originally posted by Left Brain

Damn.  LOL

You really think the 2nd string will be better?

2013-10-03 2:07 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Originally posted by msteiner

Damn.  LOL

You really think the 2nd string will be better?

When you're already guaranteed a losing effort from the first teamers, does it matter whether or not you try the backups?

2013-10-03 2:34 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

My first thought was... Dam, that's just wrong.

Then my second thought was... You know, you might have a point, which is pretty sad. :-)

2013-10-03 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

When you're already guaranteed a losing effort from the first teamers, does it matter whether or not you try the backups?

Well I say the same thing about Obamacare and people still seem to disagree with it.
2013-10-03 6:18 PM

User image

That is all

The only shooting was from the Secret Service and the local cops.

2013-10-03 9:16 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG
Originally posted by Left Brain That is all

That's why I didn't speculate further than what the media originally put out......because those boneheads never get it right.

2013-10-04 4:39 AM

User image

That's why I didn't speculate further than what the media originally put out......because those boneheads never get it right.

Yeah I did notice.

But the papers are still calling her a shooter.

Some are being honest and saying police shot a woman who rammed barriers.
"Wild car chase ends with suspect shot to death"

Others... not so much.

"Driver killed in U.S. Capitol shooting"
"U.S. Capitol shooting: Connecticut woman shot dead "
"US Capitol Building Shooting "
"Capitol Hill shooting: Driver shot dead after car chase near Capitol"

Can you tell how badly they wanted this to be a person with a gun to start the drum roll of gun control all over again?

2013-10-04 6:19 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Yeah I did notice. But the papers are still calling her a shooter. Some are being honest and saying police shot a woman who rammed barriers. "Wild car chase ends with suspect shot to death" Others... not so much. "Driver killed in U.S. Capitol shooting" "U.S. Capitol shooting: Connecticut woman shot dead " "US Capitol Building Shooting " "Capitol Hill shooting: Driver shot dead after car chase near Capitol" Can you tell how badly they wanted this to be a person with a gun to start the drum roll of gun control all over again?

Correction, wanted it to be a Tea Party nut with a gun.  

2013-10-04 6:55 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Originally posted by tuwood

Yeah I did notice. But the papers are still calling her a shooter. Some are being honest and saying police shot a woman who rammed barriers. "Wild car chase ends with suspect shot to death" Others... not so much. "Driver killed in U.S. Capitol shooting" "U.S. Capitol shooting: Connecticut woman shot dead " "US Capitol Building Shooting " "Capitol Hill shooting: Driver shot dead after car chase near Capitol" Can you tell how badly they wanted this to be a person with a gun to start the drum roll of gun control all over again?

Watch, now that there's NOT a gun other than the cops involved, it'll turn into a mental health issue.
2013-10-04 7:07 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Watch, now that there's NOT a gun other than the cops involved, it'll turn into a mental health issue.

That's exactly what I was telling my wife when we were watching the news last night.  They were going on and on about mental health issues and that the police putting their lives on the line weren't even being paid, but they were still out there doing there jobs.  

2013-10-04 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Was it really necessary to send everybody in the DC scrambling for shelter because of one wacked driver?  Seems like an overreaction to me.
2013-10-04 9:32 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
I find it funny that since it was a woman that it barely made a blip on the headlines.

So a woman with a large weapon tries to force her way into a secure building, with no regard to the child in the car and then starts a high speed chase but barely a mention. And they excuse it as "post pardum depression". I find it funny. But I do wonder how she didn't get shot before or directly after she hit the barricades.

Had it been a Male or anyone else OTHER than a white female the spin would have been different. Sadly.
2013-10-04 9:49 AM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Originally posted by Marvarnett

Had it been a Male or anyone else OTHER than a white female the spin would have been different. Sadly.

The woman was African-American.

2013-10-04 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Yeah I did notice.

But the papers are still calling her a shooter.

Some are being honest and saying police shot a woman who rammed barriers.
"Wild car chase ends with suspect shot to death"

Others... not so much.

"Driver killed in U.S. Capitol shooting"
"U.S. Capitol shooting: Connecticut woman shot dead "
"US Capitol Building Shooting "
"Capitol Hill shooting: Driver shot dead after car chase near Capitol"

Can you tell how badly they wanted this to be a person with a gun to start the drum roll of gun control all over again?

But it was a "shooting" wasn't it? The cops/Secret Service shot her. I don't think "shooting" automatically means that the suspect has a gun as well. When a guy attacks a cop with a knife and is killed by gunfire, it's still a "shooting". What else would you call it?
2013-10-04 10:50 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by SevenZulu Was it really necessary to send everybody in the DC scrambling for shelter because of one wacked driver?  Seems like an overreaction to me.

I know what you're saying but they unfortunately don't know what's going on in the car and what the plans are.  You're talking split seconds to determine if it's a crazed terrorist with a car bomb or something else.

A car is a deadly weapon, so if you use it in an intentional manner that could result in death, the police have the right to stop you with whatever means necessary.

Now obviously when you put the hindsight glasses on and see that it's a troubled mother with her baby in the car it's a whole different story, but even then if the troubled mother sped down the sidewalk mowing down a kindergarten class on a field trip it changes that dynamic as well.

I don't fault the police at all in this situation.  They did what they were trained to do and they stopped the threat.  It sucks that a young lady lost her life, but it's fortunate that she's the only casualty.

2013-10-04 10:57 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

But it was a "shooting" wasn't it? The cops/Secret Service shot her. I don't think "shooting" automatically means that the suspect has a gun as well. When a guy attacks a cop with a knife and is killed by gunfire, it's still a "shooting". What else would you call it?

So, if I rob a bank and while running out of the store the police shoot me.  Does the news report it as a shooting, or do they report a bank robbery where the suspect was shot by the police?  They certainly don't just call it a shooting.

There was gunfire heard, the media reported what they heard.  Now that the situation is under control it is known that it was not a shooting, it was a disturbed young lady trying to ram through barriers who was shot by police.

Crime statistics are comprised of what the bad guy/gal was doing.  We call it a "shooting" when bad guy shoots somebody.  We don't call it a "shooting" when the police shoot somebody.

It really doesn't matter, but anti-gun folks like to pump up the stats of criminals shooting other people as much as they can.  So if they can label this another "shooting" to help their cause then they will.

2013-10-04 11:14 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

So, if I rob a bank and while running out of the store the police shoot me.  Does the news report it as a shooting, or do they report a bank robbery where the suspect was shot by the police?  They certainly don't just call it a shooting.

Of course they do. That's what it was. Maybe they expand it in the article to speciffy that it was a "police shooting",but Daniel was quoting headlines, not articles. In a headline, you have a limited amount of space to try to tell the story. If someone gets shot, it's a shooting.You seem to be suggesting that in order for it to be a shooting, there has to be an exchange of gunfire between the criminal and the cops, but that makes no sense. Columbine and Sandy Hook were "shootings" even though the only person shooting was the murderer. The Amadou Diallo killing was also a shooting, even though the only people shooting were the cops. I don't know who this "we" is who only calls it a shooting if the bad guy has a gun.
I get your premise-- which is that the media is quick to point it out anytime guns are involved, regardless of who was using the guns, and you're probably right about that, but in this case, they called it correctly. Someone got shot. Therefore, it's a shooting.
2013-10-04 11:43 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion
PA

If someone breaks into your house it's a break-in.  If you defend yourself with a baseball bat, it wouldn't seem odd to you if the news reported a "batting?"  Is that really the topic? 

2013-10-04 11:46 AM

User image

Champion
PA

There was gunfire heard, the media reported what they heard.  Now that the situation is under control it is known that it was not a shooting, it was a disturbed young lady trying to ram through barriers who was shot by police.

Crime statistics are comprised of what the bad guy/gal was doing.  We call it a "shooting" when bad guy shoots somebody.  We don't call it a "shooting" when the police shoot somebody.

It really doesn't matter, but anti-gun folks like to pump up the stats of criminals shooting other people as much as they can.  So if they can label this another "shooting" to help their cause then they will.

Correct, they will report a robbery. 

Also correct, to report on the crime being committed for relevancy.

Also correct, why not further your agenda by calling it a shooting, mislable firearms as "assault" rifles and to make sure to specify the word "violence" anytime you are mentioning a firearm. 

2013-10-04 11:51 AM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Most importantly, which of our legislators will be brave enough to introduce some meaningful "car control" legislation? I mean, that is the standard knee-jerk response now after these types of incidents, right?
2013-10-04 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

If those headlines get you riled up, this one will make your head explode.

"Connecticut woman gunned down in DC thought Obama was communicating with her".  Damn liberal elite media.  Oh wait, that was Foxnews.  Eh, well I'm sure they're still trying to push some kind of anti-gun, anti-cop, poor victim agenda.  

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/04/connecticut-woman-killed-after-capitol-hill-chase-reportedly-had-mental-health/

2013-10-04 3:52 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Originally posted by kevin_trapp

If those headlines get you riled up, this one will make your head explode.

"Connecticut woman gunned down in DC thought Obama was communicating with her".  Damn liberal elite media.  Oh wait, that was Foxnews.  Eh, well I'm sure they're still trying to push some kind of anti-gun, anti-cop, poor victim agenda.  

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/04/connecticut-woman-killed-after-capitol-hill-chase-reportedly-had-mental-health/

Kevin, We ARE talking about FoxNews-there's really no place for...facts!

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » News report of active shooter on capitol hill Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

The State of Cable News Networks today...

Started by ScudRunner
Views: 1106 Posts: 1

2013-09-24 12:39 PM ScudRunner

Jury acquits escort shooter

Started by tuwood
Views: 1222 Posts: 9

2013-06-07 3:49 PM Hook'em

Ft. Hood Shooter to Defend Himself

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 921 Posts: 4

2013-06-04 1:34 PM Hunting Triathlete

Best political news in awhile.

Started by ejshowers
Views: 1251 Posts: 10

2013-05-30 2:33 PM spudone

Good news- Ricin letter sender caught

Started by gr33n
Views: 1649 Posts: 9

2013-04-28 8:41 AM ScudRunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : December 20, 2007
comments : 0
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : July 9, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Amenorrhea can cause loss of calcium from the bones, almost a three times higher incidence of stress fractures, and long-term problems with early osteoporosis.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Besides the obvious rest and strengthening/PT around the ankles, what can I do to further find the root cause and correct it? Also, what are doctors’ stances on active release?

date : March 5, 2006
author : chrisandniki
A distillate of March happenings regarding races, workshops, products and news.
date : January 29, 2006
author : chrisandniki
A distillate of February happenings regarding races, workshops, products and news.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?