General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Austin IM water temps & roads Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-10 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4872504

Subject: RE: Austin IM water temps & roads
Thanks everyone for the info! Although it sounds like there are skme rough spots, I'm getting excited to do it!

2013-10-11 10:00 AM
in reply to: SwimBikeRun83

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-11 3:35 PM
in reply to: pahmiyel

New user

Dallas
I've been keeping an eye on the 10 day forecasts for Austin and it looks like there is a bit of a front coming through, bringing some rain with it. Temps are slightly below average so it looks like it's on track to be wetsuit legal again.

Real glad to hear that the water tends to stay warm though. From the sound of it I'll be one of the few without one!
2013-10-17 12:25 PM
in reply to: AggieTron

Well I'm glad if it's legal, because I already rented a wetsuit. Now I just have to figure out how ot put it on and hope it fits ok.

I'm getting excited for the race! When are you guys traveling? I'm flying Friday, but just hoping my bike doesn't become lost luggage or something. I've never flown with my bike before, so I'm just figuring something like that will happen my first time.
2013-10-17 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4874733

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-22 9:42 AM

I think the water might be in the lower 70's. The cold 50 degree nights will help the water temp come down but the plant keeps it up. I dont usually wear a wetsuit if the water is above 68 degrees (I get hot pretty quick) but I'm still going to try to rent one this week since I have not really swam in a while and I'll probably want to float behind someone it will be cool in the morning, so a wetsuit might be a good idea. And coming on to the bike with a nice 60 degree temp and nice breeze, you'll feel a little cool. BTW, forecast is calling 40% chance of t-storm on race day??? Sounds exciting!

FC

2013-10-25 7:01 AM
in reply to: #4879494

Anyone in Austin have any water temp updates?
2013-10-29 2:12 PM

How'd you guys do?

I finished in 5:24! Was only aiming for sub 6. I thought the swim was tought (they always are for me), but glad to have the wetsuit. Bike was not rough at all! Except maybe a few rough sections (not potholes, more just a rough surface finish, but not very long at all). Whoever claims the roads are rough must be training on glass. The 3 mile loop was mentally tough, but nice to have so many spectators because of it. I think the weather was deceivingly hot though, as I couldn't stomach anything for 24 hours, and I consumed plenty of electrolytes and so forth during the race.
2013-10-29 2:14 PM

Pro

Originally posted by SwimBikeRun83 How'd you guys do? I finished in 5:24! Was only aiming for sub 6. I thought the swim was tought (they always are for me), but glad to have the wetsuit. Bike was not rough at all! Except maybe a few rough sections (not potholes, more just a rough surface finish, but not very long at all). Whoever claims the roads are rough must be training on glass. The 3 mile loop was mentally tough, but nice to have so many spectators because of it. I think the weather was deceivingly hot though, as I couldn't stomach anything for 24 hours, and I consumed plenty of electrolytes and so forth during the race.

Congrats!!!

2013-10-29 2:45 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

Master
Grand Prairie
It was my first HIM as well.
Was worried about the bike course (hills and road conditions), but soon realized that there are no bad hills compared to my training routine and the roads are above average for Texas.
Came in at 5:27, was hoping to get in between 6:00 and 7:00
2013-10-29 2:58 PM

Regular
Originally posted by SwimBikeRun83
How'd you guys do?

Well, I came out of this one with a story...

Inexplicable bike crash at mile 10, broken left hand and injured AC joint but pain was manageable, finished 5:02:xx for a 12 minute PR. I guess something can be said for racing on pissed off adrenaline. Race report posted.

Now I guess I'll go learn to ride a bike.

2013-10-30 8:52 AM
in reply to: mbwallis

Originally posted by mbwallis

Originally posted by SwimBikeRun83
How'd you guys do?

Well, I came out of this one with a story...

Inexplicable bike crash at mile 10, broken left hand and injured AC joint but pain was manageable, finished 5:02:xx for a 12 minute PR. I guess something can be said for racing on pissed off adrenaline. Race report posted.

Now I guess I'll go learn to ride a bike.

Adrenaline does wonders! Hope you recover in a timely manner (although 5 hours is pretty good considering a broken hand!) Props!

This was my first HIM and with the lack of training I was expecting to finish in the 6-6:30 range but surprised myself with a 5:29 finish. Met pretty cool people along the course...and what's that about not drafting in the bike? It seems like eveyone was drafting!

FC
2013-10-30 6:14 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Had an okay swim, and was having a great ride but crashed at about mile 48-49. Very broken collarbone that ended my race for the day. Actually met another racer with the same injury at the ER in Austin. Disappointed, but I'll concentrate on getting well, and I'm definitely up for a HIM again next year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Austin IM water temps & roads Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Water Conditions at Tempe Town Lake - Home of IM AZ and SOMA 1/2 IM

Started by SwmBkRn
Views: 2650 Posts: 2

2004-10-22 6:55 PM SwmBkRn

water temp avg 68-70 wetsuit??

Started by bisquick
Views: 1193 Posts: 4

2004-05-31 8:36 PM royj

Water Temp

Started by TriMom217
Views: 926 Posts: 12

2004-05-09 10:48 PM max

Water Temps for Wetsuits

Started by misolis
Views: 868 Posts: 4

2004-04-26 6:30 PM dhlundblad

water temp

Started by TriMom217
Views: 1502 Posts: 18

2004-04-02 2:23 PM puffin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.

date : December 12, 2004
author : CLLinIA
comments : 1
What you can do to clean up your local swimming hole and keep it clean!