General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-11-03 2:28 PM
in reply to: tricrazy

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
Signed up for Raleigh also, did it last year. Should be a good tune-up for Choo, Jim

2013-11-04 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4887899

User image

Sylvania, Ga
I got a room at the chattanooga choo choo. How far away is this? It doesn't look too bad on the map, but my wife and kids are coming, so my not too far and her not too far may be different.
2013-11-04 11:08 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Wetumpka, AL
Sorry I'm late to the game but I wanted to get IMFL behind me before adding to the additional madness of Chattanooga. Looking forward to following this group up to and through race day!!
2013-11-04 7:17 PM
in reply to: bufit

Veteran
I'm drinking a few beers now celebrating IMFL and setting goals for Chattanooga, I find a few beers make the goals more challenging.
Will the swim be current assisted at all?
I know the bike will be slower than IMFL but I'm thinking I might get a few minutes back in the swim since it's not ocean/mass start (I will miss that).
2013-11-04 7:40 PM
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Rover24

I'm drinking a few beers now celebrating IMFL and setting goals for Chattanooga, I find a few beers make the goals more challenging.
I know the bike will be slower than IMFL but I'm thinking I might get a few minutes back in the swim since it's not ocean/mass start (I will miss that).

I think there will be some current but not as much as everyone thinks. Dont think it will be as much as Augusta. Depends too on how much rain is right before the race, ect. I've done the olympic here several times and one year didn't feel like there was much help, but others certainly was. Im thinking it will certainly be less crowded / karate / self defense than the recent IMFL swim which I did not enjoy. Esp if they put us all in Louisville style off a barge.
2013-11-05 7:12 AM
in reply to: hornjs

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Good Morning, all! Congrats to everyone that raced IMFL this past weekend. It was a beautiful day to race.

As of now, I'm not registered to race, but I'm determined to get a bib come hell or high water. I want to do this race, because several of my teammates are racing here. This will be my second IM, I completed IMFL in 2012.

I have contacted the official charily, CCFA, and she put me on a wait list. I emailed the lady back asking her what she thought my chances are and she said she didn't know.

I'm now looking into Endurance Travel Sports, but when I looked at the website, the rooms were $550 a night! Yikes! I'm well aware that I'm going to pay a TON of money to do this race, but at least if I write a check to CCFA it's a tax deduction and goes to a good cause.

Any other thoughts? I know I can still get into TX and FL, but I'd really like to race with my team.
Thanks!

2013-11-06 3:54 PM
in reply to: seitz1124

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by seitz1124 Good Morning, all! Congrats to everyone that raced IMFL this past weekend. It was a beautiful day to race. As of now, I'm not registered to race, but I'm determined to get a bib come hell or high water. I want to do this race, because several of my teammates are racing here. This will be my second IM, I completed IMFL in 2012. I have contacted the official charily, CCFA, and she put me on a wait list. I emailed the lady back asking her what she thought my chances are and she said she didn't know. I'm now looking into Endurance Travel Sports, but when I looked at the website, the rooms were $550 a night! Yikes! I'm well aware that I'm going to pay a TON of money to do this race, but at least if I write a check to CCFA it's a tax deduction and goes to a good cause. Any other thoughts? I know I can still get into TX and FL, but I'd really like to race with my team. Thanks!

Unfortunately - unless you get one of the charity spots - I think you're out of luck as WTC doesn't allow for any transfer of registrations.  

Hopefully the wait list will work out for you!  

2013-11-06 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Okay... now that B2B is done, I can think about IMChoo!  

A couple of questions for everyone...

1) What kind of training plan (if any) are you following during the winter?  

2) What training plan (if any) are you thinking of following to get you ready for the race?  

2013-11-06 5:31 PM
in reply to: seitz1124

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Originally posted by seitz1124

Good Morning, all! Congrats to everyone that raced IMFL this past weekend. It was a beautiful day to race.

As of now, I'm not registered to race, but I'm determined to get a bib come hell or high water. I want to do this race, because several of my teammates are racing here. This will be my second IM, I completed IMFL in 2012.

I have contacted the official charily, CCFA, and she put me on a wait list. I emailed the lady back asking her what she thought my chances are and she said she didn't know.

I'm now looking into Endurance Travel Sports, but when I looked at the website, the rooms were $550 a night! Yikes! I'm well aware that I'm going to pay a TON of money to do this race, but at least if I write a check to CCFA it's a tax deduction and goes to a good cause.

Any other thoughts? I know I can still get into TX and FL, but I'd really like to race with my team.
Thanks!

try this:

http://www.endurancesportstravel.com/registration.asp?raceID=177
2013-11-07 7:16 AM
in reply to: LukeBoswell

User image

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
I just stumbled across this board and it seems like a great group! Just for starters I'm not racing this year, however I plan on helping a lot with the race. I live about 15 minutes from the finish line and I wanted to help showcase Chattanooga. I want IMChattanooga to be the kind of experience that everyone wants to be a part of. Anyway there will be lots of cool things happening in the near future and I'll make sure you're aware of it.

2013-11-07 7:51 AM

User image

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
Originally posted by hornjs

I think there will be some current but not as much as everyone thinks. Dont think it will be as much as Augusta. Depends too on how much rain is right before the race, ect. I've done the olympic here several times and one year didn't feel like there was much help, but others certainly was. Im thinking it will certainly be less crowded / karate / self defense than the recent IMFL swim which I did not enjoy. Esp if they put us all in Louisville style off a barge.

I personally think it will be a relatively fast swim. Keep in mind that we are only talking about a few minutes which won't make up hardly anytime on the bike. I'm an average swimmer at best and I did the Chattanooga Rat Race (1.2 miles) is around 29 minutes without a wetsuit. The flow rate that day was significantly slower than normal because of the Riverbend Festival, however I feel it helped a lot. The flow rates of the TN River should be swift because of the draw down of the upper reservoirs in the TN River system in September. Please remember this is highly variable because of many factors. Saying this, I personally believe we will see a lot of the field well under an hour for the swim. Now that I've said that, we'll probably have the driest summer on record and have almost no flow that day.

2013-11-07 7:56 AM
in reply to: jbholcom

User image

Originally posted by jbholcom

I personally think it will be a relatively fast swim. Keep in mind that we are only talking about a few minutes which won't make up hardly anytime on the bike. I'm an average swimmer at best and I did the Chattanooga Rat Race (1.2 miles) is around 29 minutes without a wetsuit. The flow rate that day was significantly slower than normal because of the Riverbend Festival, however I feel it helped a lot. The flow rates of the TN River should be swift because of the draw down of the upper reservoirs in the TN River system in September. Please remember this is highly variable because of many factors. Saying this, I personally believe we will see a lot of the field well under an hour for the swim. Now that I've said that, we'll probably have the driest summer on record and have almost no flow that day.

I'm sure there wont be a huge current that day, but i think people are forgetting about the fact that we dont have to make a bunch of turns. swimming down a river is a heck of a lot easier (and faster) then swimming a rectangle. No fighting for space on turns, less sighting, etc. I know for me that will make it faster because you can just put your head down and swim without worrying.
2013-11-07 9:43 AM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

Veteran
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

Originally posted by jbholcom

I'm sure there wont be a huge current that day, but i think people are forgetting about the fact that we dont have to make a bunch of turns. swimming down a river is a heck of a lot easier (and faster) then swimming a rectangle. No fighting for space on turns, less sighting, etc. I know for me that will make it faster because you can just put your head down and swim without worrying.

That's what I was thinking, not just help from the current but clear water. There were many times at IMFL I had to slow or stop because of people in front and sides of me.
I swam 1:13 in Florida this year so I will speculate maybe 5min faster at Chatt.
I biked 5:22 at Florida so I will speculate 1mph average slower , that's about 5:45 bike.
So net difference around 18min, and that's if I pace myself the same as I did this year, I will most likely pace a few percent higher.
2013-11-08 11:35 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by seitz1124 ... I have contacted the official charily, CCFA, and she put me on a wait list. I emailed the lady back asking her what she thought my chances are and she said she didn't know.

I got in with CCFA, and for reference I think I emailed the lady the September 7th, and heard back on the the 27th. She also did not have an answer of if or when there would be slots open then. I'm unsure of the situation now in November.

Also, with the rolling hills mentioned for the bike course, what cassette gearing is recommended? Or what gearing will you be using?

Edited by Major Ho 2013-11-08 11:37 AM
2013-11-08 9:24 PM
in reply to: Major Ho

User image

Regular
Just saw this posted and looks to be right time for a warm up event. Its in August, so hot, but looks flat?

http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=2599

2013-11-09 8:25 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by hornjs Just saw this posted and looks to be right time for a warm up event. Its in August, so hot, but looks flat? http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=259...

Too far for me to travel for a warm up race, but it looks like a nice event.  I think my warm up race will be Musselman again, can't beat the location since it is a 20 minute drive for me and mid July is a good time frame for Chattanooga. 

2013-11-10 7:04 PM
in reply to: Major Ho

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Originally posted by Major Ho

Originally posted by seitz1124 ... I have contacted the official charily, CCFA, and she put me on a wait list. I emailed the lady back asking her what she thought my chances are and she said she didn't know.

I got in with CCFA, and for reference I think I emailed the lady the September 7th, and heard back on the the 27th. She also did not have an answer of if or when there would be slots open then. I'm unsure of the situation now in November.

Also, with the rolling hills mentioned for the bike course, what cassette gearing is recommended? Or what gearing will you be using?

Kinda depends on what type of rider you are. I am a strong rider and rode a lap with a 52/36 - 12/25 combination. I used the 36-25 a fair amount on the hills but spent plenty of time in my 52 also. If you are a weaker cyclist, I would encourage the use of a compact crank.
2013-11-11 8:28 AM
in reply to: ADollar79

Andrew - what 52/36 are you running? My current bike has a 52/38 (Vision Trimax). It is a 110 BCD (originally thought it was 130 but it's not). I've been debating a swap to a compact or possibly 52/36 if I can just replace the inside ring. I would consider myself an average cyclist at best. I did IMLOU this year on the 52/38 but ran 11/28 rear cassette. I also run this same setup riding the Trace which I consider harder than the IMLOU course.

Any advice is appreciated.
2013-11-11 12:42 PM
in reply to: jkintn

User image

I'd suggest a compact. I rode almost the whole course with my compact on my tri bike and only went out of the big ring 2-3 times. thats definitely a positive. There aren't a lot of overly fast places where you're going to take advantage of a 53-11 combo..
2013-11-11 1:59 PM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest I'd suggest a compact. I rode almost the whole course with my compact on my tri bike and only went out of the big ring 2-3 times. thats definitely a positive. There aren't a lot of overly fast places where you're going to take advantage of a 53-11 combo..

Unless I hear or see something different between now and September, I am planning on the same set up I used for IMFL.  I have a compact crank and went with an 11 - 25 on the back.  The difference will be the amount of time spent in the small ring in Chattanooga.

2013-11-11 2:21 PM
in reply to: Jseminary

User image

New user

Cleveland, TN
It's been a great week of dominating my daughter's Halloween candy after IM Florida. I think I've gained back all the weight I lost all last year in training.

I'm so excited about this race. Excited about it being 15 minutes from my house. Excited for all the on course training rides/runs.

Back to strength training for me with one SBR each week to keep the joints from rusting.

2013-11-12 8:29 AM
in reply to: jkintn

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Originally posted by jkintn

Andrew - what 52/36 are you running? My current bike has a 52/38 (Vision Trimax). It is a 110 BCD (originally thought it was 130 but it's not). I've been debating a swap to a compact or possibly 52/36 if I can just replace the inside ring. I would consider myself an average cyclist at best. I did IMLOU this year on the 52/38 but ran 11/28 rear cassette. I also run this same setup riding the Trace which I consider harder than the IMLOU course.

Any advice is appreciated.

I have a Rotor 3D but I swear it never feels like a 36 when I am in it. (I actually just counted the big ring to make sure it wasn't a 54/42) I found the course to be much easier than the Trace so I suspect that makes it easier than IM Lou. The two IM rides are probably comparable based on the clients that I have coached. Most of them complained more about the heat than the hills at Lou. I don't recall any of them saying the hills were terribly bad (like the Trace). Instead it was just 112 miles of rolling terrain.

So if you can ride 11-28 in Lou and on the Trace, you should be fine. I personally have never owned a compact crank. I did IM CDA on a 53/39 - 12/27 combo too.
2013-11-12 10:50 AM
in reply to: ADollar79

User image

Veteran
Murfreesboro, TN
Originally posted by ADollar79

• .. I don't recall any of them saying the hills were terribly bad (like the Trace). Instead it was just 112 miles of rolling terrain.

• Pure Gold info for us Middle Tenn folks !!!! Planning on many rides on the Trace this spring/summer for sure.

Thanks Andrew.
    2013-11-12 9:44 PM
    in reply to: Chris.1333

User image

Regular
    So unmotivated right now. Coming off IMFL and have enjoyed recreation this last week ... playstation games, scotch, movies. So when my training buddy called me to swim (he has IMCoz in a couple weeks) I tried to get out of it.
    Finally went, had a decent swim but it was exhausting. It is Masters after all, so I know its good for me but geez, not quite ready to be doing 3000 a night again.
    Need to iron out my plan this week so I can start planning some light activities / x training (scotch).
    2013-11-14 5:43 PM
    in reply to: #4870970

User image

Veteran
    Va Beach
    So not being from Tenn, what is the "Trace"?
    New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
    Views: 30683 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 61177 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
    Views: 173277 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
    Views: 40455 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : June 23, 2012
    author : ytriguy
    comments : 0
    Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
    author : alicefoeller
    comments : 3
    An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
    date : June 27, 2011
    author : alicefoeller
    comments : 8
    A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
    author : mat steinmetz
    I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
    date : November 17, 2008
    author : mrakes1
    During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
    author : johnrunner
    comments : 6
    Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
    date : July 30, 2006
    author : IRONVIKING
    If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
    author : Rich Strauss
    comments : 2
    I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: