General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2014-02-19 8:06 AM
in reply to: nmk62303

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
These January totals remind me that I need to get back in the pool ... and further more spend more time on the bike. :-)

2014-02-20 11:26 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

So how is everyone tracking in February? anyone have any early season races coming up?
2014-02-20 3:40 PM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

So how is everyone tracking in February? anyone have any early season races coming up?

Feb did not start out well. I picked up a full box of copier paper (58#) then attempted to one-hand it while opening a door. Really dumb. 3 weeks later I am finally back to training. And I had a stomach virus last week. Nothing like taking a long sedentary rest right before base training starts. First tri for this season is in 3 weeks and I am feeling so unprepared. I know it will be ok. It's a sprint. My swim is good and I've been running well all winter. I'm thinking it's going to be the worst 11 mile bike ever, lol. I didn't ride as much as I should have through Jan, then when it was on my schedule to pick it up, I couldn't due to injury. The issue is more lack of confidence than ability. And I'm sure I'm sweating over nothing. Anyway, that's where I am for Feb. Considering it has been ten years since I've been sick and nearly two years without an injury, I'm hoping that this episode puts me in the clear for the next 7 months!
2014-02-20 9:23 PM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

Regular
Have been out for two months due to family medical issues. Now its resolved and training has kicked off with a vengeance. Got a coach/plan here in Chatt and its kicking my . Much more than I would have done on my own, but that's what I needed. Ive never done strength / functional strength training before or core for that matter so its a bit eye opening at first how weak I am. Hopefully by incorporating that it will make bike / run better and injury free this time around. First race is in May, so plenty of time to gear up.
2014-02-21 8:26 AM
in reply to: hornjs

User image

Originally posted by hornjs

Have been out for two months due to family medical issues. Now its resolved and training has kicked off with a vengeance. Got a coach/plan here in Chatt and its kicking my . Much more than I would have done on my own, but that's what I needed. Ive never done strength / functional strength training before or core for that matter so its a bit eye opening at first how weak I am. Hopefully by incorporating that it will make bike / run better and injury free this time around. First race is in May, so plenty of time to gear up.

I hear that. I never do strength/core but we started doing it with Master swim 2X a week. its absurd how sore I am the next day after a few sets of situps and push ups. embarrassing really..
2014-02-21 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Yeah, im pretty sore too. I was plagued with injuries last year so I guess we are trying to shore things up a bit. I've never done single leg squats, single leg deadlifts or burpees before. Reading the workout I was like...that looks ok, but it was real difficult. Hopefully in a couple weeks it will get easier.

2014-02-21 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I have a major case of DOMS today since I eagerly jumped back into strength training right where I left off. Good grief what is wrong with my brain? I know this happens and now I can barely walk thanks to my overzealous squats and deadlifts. Thank goodness today was swim day. It's going to be a slow and painful long run tomorrow.
2014-03-07 8:45 AM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

New user

Cleveland, TN
When does everyone start their IMCHOO training plan and what races are you doing this year?

My wife delivers our second child in 3 days so I'm not doing as many races this year and also not hitting the training as long. I've got a 20 week plan set to kick off on May 12 but I'll start back to foundation work in all 3 sports on April 1st.

2014 Races:
4/5 Habitat for Humanity Bike to Build 50K Cleveland, TN
5/3 3 State 3 Mountain 62 Mile Bike Chattanooga, TN
6/14 BCBS Riverbend 10K Run Chattanooga, TN
6/29 Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic Tri Chattanooga, TN
2014-03-07 10:54 AM
in reply to: cmonty16

User image

I started my Choo Plan Feb 1 with my trainer - so about an 8 month training time frame - Feb was a lot of base building because I was out January following surgery and really did nothing - but i'm starting to see improvements now.

Still figuring races out - I have RnR DC Half Marathon next weekend, and then Choo - I'm going to do either Lake Logan or Morgantown 70.3 I think
2014-03-07 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Mine started this week - 30 week Fink plan.  Although with 2 major developments in my life since I registered I'm stepping back to the "intermediate" plan, and even at that I'll have to miss/shorten/swap some workouts.  So I guess I'm more along the lines of doing the "just finish - plus" program!

2014-03-07 11:45 AM

User image

I started at the beginning of the year, but thats because I'm doing New Orleans 70.3 in 5 weeks. It's going to be a long year...

2014-03-07 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I also started the Fink 30 week plan this week. I'm doing the competitive plan... at least until I feel I need to back off. In comparison with the intermediate, there was a minimal difference between the two so I thought I would try it. I maintained a solid run base through winter with good swim and ok bike time, but I pulled a muscle in my back (heavy box) which triggered a sacrailliac inflammation and took me out for 2-1/2 weeks. Then I got a stomach virus right after that. So February was a bust. I only ran 56 miles for the entire month. But I'm back in the saddle and on track again! Not excited (or ready) for the first race next week. I cut back on the number of races because I don't want to be wiped out by Aug like I usually am since we have such an early start. Gotta make it to Sept 28!

3/15 Warhawk sprint, Monroe, LA
3/30 Tri Tyler oly, Tyler, TX
6/7 Heatwave, Jackson, MS
6/28 Chattanooga Waterfront oly
8/23 Gator Bait oly, Vicksburg, MS
2014-03-07 1:12 PM
in reply to: Duanerice

User image

New user

Auburn Hills, Michigan
I started January 13th with the CCFA Team Challenge training plan. So far, so good, after taking 18 months off since my last Ironman race it is a bit frustrating trying to get back into shape. Swimming has been the easiest to get back....running is getting there, but definitely need more time on the bike !

Luckily it istill a way off ... I cannot wait to get outdoors (I am in Michigan).

Planned events

Back to the Beach Half Marathon (5/17)
Michigan Mountain Mayhem 200K ride (6/14)
Steelhead 70.3 (8/10)
IMCHOO (9/28)
2014-03-07 1:50 PM
in reply to: marathonman40

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
I have a 70.3 next month and need to get a move on with the bike and swim, it's going to be painful.

2014 Plans

Walt Disney World 5K (Completed)
Walt Disney World 10K (Completed)
Walt Disney World half Marathon (Completed)
Walt Disney World Marathon (Completed)
Alabama Marathon (Completed)
Palms 100K (Completed)
Racing to the Rescue 5K
Florida 70.3
Keys 100
Ironman Chattanooga
Ironman Florida
Disney Half Marathon
2014-03-08 7:35 AM
in reply to: aintaround

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

I'm several weeks into the 16 week 1/2 plan here on BT in prep for Long Course Nats in June.  Since they are being held here in Michigan, I figured why not, and it gives me an early chance to figure out my real food nutrition during race conditions.  After that, I'll be doing the 17 week advanced IM plan on this site. I will be modifying the run some as I have not kept up with that as much as I should have over the winter but my biking and swim have improved immensely. 

I'm soooooo ready for the temps to finally go up to melt this snow that has buried us this year.  I laughed at a picture on the front page of our local paper.  The school hired someone to snowblow the remaining 3 feet of snow from the high school track so they can begin track practice in a couple days.

• Long Course Nationals 1/2, June 6
  • East Jordan sprint, June 28
  • Interlochen Oly, July 7
  • Lexington sprint, July 19
  • Traverse City tri, Aug 18
  • Aquabike Nationals 1/2 distance, Sept 7
  • IM Chatt

2014-03-08 11:20 PM
in reply to: emferg

User image

Regular
Im still in a base phase from a coach I got here in Chattanooga. Getting stronger now, so no injury later. I have never used training peaks program before, but I love having it on my phone so I can browse my upcoming pain.

Upcoming races...

Guntersville Olympic
Ironman Raleigh
Chattanooga Waterfront
Lake Logan Half
IM Chatt

2014-03-09 7:49 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

My coach tends to give me shorter workouts with some intensity especially on the bike.  We are still stuck mostly inside here in the northeast so unless I get an opportunity to go to my inlaws in FL, we try to keep things under 90 minutes to keep the sanity! 

First tri is an oly in June and a HIM in July so no worries at this point.  I did have a minor setback last weekend that I am probably not done with as I seem to have developed a kidney stone that has kept me from training some days this week.  It is good this weekend though so back at it. 

2014-03-17 2:54 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Veteran
Kansas
First swim today in ... too long than I care to actually look back at my training calendar. Regardless, my actual IM Choo plan doesn't kick in until May, so am doing a 8 week ramp up in the meantime. Built a good base in the Fall, but we had an actual winter here in the Kansas City area which can kick the best of intentions to the curb. Regardless, no time like the present.

My brother-in-law are likely driving into the race site in May or June to ride the course and would largely defer to a date based on others that might be doing the same as it would be fun to meet up with others and do a group ride. Anyone have any course rides planned for May or June coming up? Healthy training to all! Thanks.
2014-03-17 9:41 PM
in reply to: cjkelly0729

User image

Regular
Went out on a gorgeous saturday and did a loop of the ride. Thanks goes out to all the north georgia motorists who gave me the requisite 3ft clearance as they passed. Not all did, but the majority yes. Route was not as flat as I would have liked, but not horrible either. Several short steep rollers, one prolonged low grade uphill out of Chickamauga, followed by large downhill. All in all a fun route.

2014-03-18 9:59 AM

User image

Originally posted by cjkelly0729

First swim today in ... too long than I care to actually look back at my training calendar. Regardless, my actual IM Choo plan doesn't kick in until May, so am doing a 8 week ramp up in the meantime. Built a good base in the Fall, but we had an actual winter here in the Kansas City area which can kick the best of intentions to the curb. Regardless, no time like the present.

My brother-in-law are likely driving into the race site in May or June to ride the course and would largely defer to a date based on others that might be doing the same as it would be fun to meet up with others and do a group ride. Anyone have any course rides planned for May or June coming up? Healthy training to all! Thanks.

May 17th there is a 2.4mile OWS Masters race in the Tennessee river right by the race site. There's a group of over 100 people going up that weekend to Swim the race, and ride and run the course. You can find the group here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1415763035328005/1446582162246092/?n...
2014-03-25 12:57 PM
in reply to: Duanerice

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Anyone else using Be Iron Fit and struggling with the low heart rate training? It's rolling hills around here. Really hard to stay within the z2 limit! I can make it about half-way up a hill then I have to walk. I'm a little concerned about losing my ability to run hills. And on the bike, there isn't anything I can do other than to let it rise to z3 or 4 then recover on the downhill. So I feel like this is probably not working the way it is supposed to.

2014-03-26 6:22 AM

User image

May 17th there is a 2.4mile OWS Masters race in the Tennessee river right by the race site. There's a group of over 100 people going up that weekend to Swim the race, and ride and run the course. You can find the group here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1415763035328005/1446582162246092/?n...

there is one on June 14 as well - http://www.chattanoogaratrace.com- there is a 2.4 and a 4.6 (I think) - I'm probably going to head down that weekend, do the swim and then do a loop on the bike course - anyone else interested
2014-04-07 12:19 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Veteran
Kansas
I am about to give up two home Rentals in Chattanooga. Family decided to all stay together a bit further of out of town. Will wait a day or so to see if anyone wants to grab these before they hit the open market again. feel free to email me at [email protected] The HomeAway numbers are below if you want to see, both are close together. Thanks.

2014-04-17 4:10 PM

User image

Regular
Looks like it will be a great weekend for a ride. Check out FB and search Choo Ride. Saturday 9:45a at Ross Landing Park. About 14 people going according to FB.
2014-04-23 10:09 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

I'm going to check this weekend in June. I'm not sure if it makes any sense for me to travel that far to train but I'm going to think about it.

Amy

Originally posted by austhokie

there is one on June 14 as well - http://www.chattanoogaratrace.com- there is a 2.4 and a 4.6 (I think) - I'm probably going to head down that weekend, do the swim and then do a loop on the bike course - anyone else interested
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30678 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61175 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173272 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40454 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: