General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2014-04-24 12:15 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
Originally posted by miamiamy

I'm going to check this weekend in June. I'm not sure if it makes any sense for me to travel that far to train but I'm going to think about it.

Amy

Originally posted by austhokie

Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

Originally posted by cjkelly0729

First swim today in ... too long than I care to actually look back at my training calendar. Regardless, my actual IM Choo plan doesn't kick in until May, so am doing a 8 week ramp up in the meantime. Built a good base in the Fall, but we had an actual winter here in the Kansas City area which can kick the best of intentions to the curb. Regardless, no time like the present.

My brother-in-law are likely driving into the race site in May or June to ride the course and would largely defer to a date based on others that might be doing the same as it would be fun to meet up with others and do a group ride. Anyone have any course rides planned for May or June coming up? Healthy training to all! Thanks.

May 17th there is a 2.4mile OWS Masters race in the Tennessee river right by the race site. There's a group of over 100 people going up that weekend to Swim the race, and ride and run the course. You can find the group here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1415763035328005/1446582162246092/?n...

there is one on June 14 as well - http://www.chattanoogaratrace.com- there is a 2.4 and a 4.6 (I think) - I'm probably going to head down that weekend, do the swim and then do a loop on the bike course - anyone else interested

its a bit of a drive for me (about 8-9 hrs I think) - but since I'm not doing any other traveling this year aside from Chatt, and WVa in August (if I can still get registered), i'm going to drive down and make a weekend of it

2014-04-28 10:16 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

I also found a training camp in July. I don't know anything about this group or actually anything about training camps but I stumbled onto this and thought I'd share it. It's July 25-27th.

http://www.teammpi.com/camps/

I think I'm a 12 hour drive to Chattanooga so I don't know if it makes sense for me but I'm thinking about it.

We're 5 months out. I hope everyone's training is going well.

Amy
2014-04-28 10:25 AM

User image

Originally posted by miamiamy

I also found a training camp in July. I don't know anything about this group or actually anything about training camps but I stumbled onto this and thought I'd share it. It's July 25-27th.

http://www.teammpi.com/camps/

I think I'm a 12 hour drive to Chattanooga so I don't know if it makes sense for me but I'm thinking about it.

We're 5 months out. I hope everyone's training is going well.

Amy

interesting, I'd like to go - but I don't think I could swing the cost, on top of traveling there
2014-04-28 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I'm going to the free camp May 17 & 18. Anyone else going?
2014-04-28 4:37 PM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI
I'm going in May. Will there be a group riding on Friday too?
2014-04-29 3:19 PM
in reply to: emferg

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Originally posted by emferg

I'm going in May. Will there be a group riding on Friday too?

I saw that there is a ride on Fri for those arriving early enough for it, but I don't remember details about it since I will arrive later.

2014-04-30 9:41 AM

User image

Originally posted by runswithcrazydog

My wife and I will be there. Are you doing the Master Swim as well?
2014-05-01 3:35 PM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg

I'm not. I just couldn't justify spending that much for an OWS that isn't the actual course. It would be fun and I would have been in if it was about half the fees. I've previously done the Waterfront tri and will be back again this year. That's a better swim simulation for IM Chatt (IMHO).
2014-05-02 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest My wife and I will be there. Are you doing the Master Swim as well?
I'm not. I just couldn't justify spending that much for an OWS that isn't the actual course. It would be fun and I would have been in if it was about half the fees. I've previously done the Waterfront tri and will be back again this year. That's a better swim simulation for IM Chatt (IMHO).

I'm not doing the swim either.  I'm arriving late Thursday so I'm still undecided if I'll ride Friday or just wait til Saturday.

2014-05-02 5:12 PM

User image

Fair enough. Definitely expensive but we're doing it anyway. we're not doing waterfront so its our best bet to get in the water in the river before the race.
2014-05-04 7:18 PM
in reply to: 0

One of our local partners is working on an August practice swim that will use the IM Course. Should be a great way to get some open water swimming in before the event. Ill post more info on our FaceBook page once finalized. Brian Myrick - RD

Edited by bhmyrick 2014-05-04 7:18 PM

2014-05-05 7:57 PM

User image

Sadly I can't make that. I have another commitment. Bummer.
2014-05-05 7:58 PM
in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

Originally posted by bhmyrick

One of our local partners is working on an August practice swim that will use the IM Course. Should be a great way to get some open water swimming in before the event. Ill post more info on our FaceBook page once finalized. Brian Myrick - RD

This sounds like great news. Thanks!
2014-05-12 10:27 AM

User image

this place got good recommendations in the Chatt FB group if you are traveling up for training - and looking for a cheap place to crash - http://www.crashpadchattanooga.com/quarters/

I think i'm going to use it for the Chatt River Rat race in June
2014-05-27 12:52 PM

User image

123 days-ish - how is everyone looking?
2014-05-28 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

I went to the training weekend last week and had a great time.  I love the course, maybe, except for the hills north of the river on the run course.  I'm excited at how fast the bike course was, but that means I'll have to keep myself in check on the bike.  It's going to be a great race!

2014-05-28 8:57 AM
in reply to: emferg

User image

Originally posted by emferg

I went to the training weekend last week and had a great time.  I love the course, maybe, except for the hills north of the river on the run course.  I'm excited at how fast the bike course was, but that means I'll have to keep myself in check on the bike.  It's going to be a great race!

i'm heading there the weekend of the 14th for the river rat race and looking forward to scoping out the course
2014-05-28 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I went to the training weekend as well. The run course is great. It's only the hill on Barton and Hixon to contend with. I'm just going to save my energy and walk up those segments. Overall, it's a blip in a course that is half flat and half easy rolling. The bike... loop out, not so much. Those rollers are relentless and will wear me down if I'm not careful to go easy. Loop back is fast and fantastic. Noticed a lengthy false flat maybe at the 50 mi spot in our 60 mile single loop of the course. I'll be back for another go at it after Chattanooga Waterfront. Not planning to do Rat Race.
2014-05-29 3:01 PM
in reply to: Jseminary

User image

Hello Everyone. Hope everyone is enjoying their training. I live in Tampa, FL and was hoping to make a trip to Chattanooga to visit a friend and also check out both the bike and run courses but unfortunately the trip as cancelled. Instead I am now considering the "virtual" option for trying out the bike course. I have a TACX virtual trainer (I-Flow Multiplayer) and was considering buying the Google license to be able to create and/or download routes/courses. Has anyone done this? if not, has anyone recorded the course on Garmin unit that they could share the file? I hope this will make the trainer sessions a little more interesting and specific. Thanks

Ray
USCG, RET

2014-05-29 3:23 PM
in reply to: rayman350

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I have the bike course on Garmin. What type of file can you use? I have the run also. Except I ran the north side counter-clockwise not realizing that when the course was altered it now goes clockwise through the country club neighborhood.
2014-05-31 9:23 PM

User image

Lisa, thank you for the reply. If you uploaded the course to your Garmin Connect Account, just go to the main screen (Dashboard) and select EXPORT. Choose the Google Earth format and it will download the file in the .kml format. You can then email the file ([email protected]). I should be able to open it with the TACX trainer software without a problem and the trainer will recreate the course accordingly (hills, inclines, resistance, etc). It would be nice if I can actually make it to Chattanooga at least once to check it out. Thanks again for the help.

Ray

2014-06-02 3:39 PM

Veteran
Can you use the Cycleops Virtual Training software with the TACX?
I have it for my Kickr and the course is on there, no video though. I have ridden it but it seems they might have smoothed the small hills out since its like 30 some miles of a gradual incline to start.
I am stuck riding indoors for a few weeks, broken collarbone/surgery/metal plate and screws, so im riding the course a bunch. Hoping I will have enough time to get ready for September!
2014-06-02 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Email sent. Hopefully I did that right.
2014-06-04 1:19 PM

User image

Good heavens. I just realized this race is by my count 17 weeks away. That seems right around the corner. Anyone else just realize this?
2014-06-04 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by miamiamy Good heavens. I just realized this race is by my count 17 weeks away. That seems right around the corner. Anyone else just realize this?

In a manner of speaking yes... I was speaking to a friend today about the EagleMan event this weekend (we've both raced it before) and I told him that I was a bit concerned because I've only swum a total of 5100 meters so far this year.  He then said something to the effect of "EagleMan??? don't you have Chattanooga in a few months?"  Then it really hit me!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30606 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61101 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173181 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40380 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: