General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2014-06-05 7:21 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
Originally posted by miamiamy

Good heavens. I just realized this race is by my count 17 weeks away. That seems right around the corner. Anyone else just realize this?

it sound even scarier when you say 115 days...

2014-06-05 8:35 AM
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Unfortunately the CycleOps software is no compatible with the TACX trainer. My understanding is that course files are. If they can be saved separately in standard format (.KML for Google Earth, or .GPX for Garmin units) then I can transfer to the TACX Trainer Software. I was hoping there are others out there with the same system and perhaps we could try the course on a virtual multiplayer ride. Thanks for replying.

Ray
2014-06-05 8:39 AM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

Lisa, Thank you for the file. It worked perfectly. Let me know if you happen to ride and record the course again in the right direction. I believe I can reverse the course you sent me but haven't figure it out yet. Will keep you posted if I succeed. Thanks Again.

Ray
2014-06-05 10:23 AM
in reply to: rayman350

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Ray,
The bike course I sent you is the correct direction. It's the run that I did the loop backwards and I didn't send that file because of it. I'll send it to you since you can change it. The out and back on the riverwalk is correct and the run across Veteran's bridge down Barton Ave. It's the Y where Barton and Hixon meet that I went right when I should have gone left. The roads are all correct and the elevation should be the same except you do one long uphill on Hixon and rolling downhills through Riverview instead of what I did (rolling uphills through Riverview and long downhill on Hixon).
2014-06-06 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4870970

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Hey folks, I'm going to be in Chattanooga on the 16-18 of June, is there anywhere close to downtown to rent a bike so I can ride the IM course, I will have a car. Can you ride on riverfront pkwy, or should I avoid that section. Any other riding advice from locals would be appreciated, don't want to get run over for a training ride, thanks Jim
2014-06-06 12:46 PM
in reply to: godekjames

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by godekjames Hey folks, I'm going to be in Chattanooga on the 16-18 of June, is there anywhere close to downtown to rent a bike so I can ride the IM course, I will have a car. Can you ride on riverfront pkwy, or should I avoid that section. Any other riding advice from locals would be appreciated, don't want to get run over for a training ride, thanks Jim

You mean that this is not good enough for you?

http://www.bikechattanooga.com/home

2014-06-06 9:31 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by godekjames Hey folks, I'm going to be in Chattanooga on the 16-18 of June, is there anywhere close to downtown to rent a bike so I can ride the IM course, I will have a car. Can you ride on riverfront pkwy, or should I avoid that section. Any other riding advice from locals would be appreciated, don't want to get run over for a training ride, thanks Jim

You mean that this is not good enough for you?

http://www.bikechattanooga.com/home

Thanks, I can get that kind of response on Slowtwitch, I was actually looking for help smart guy
2014-06-07 10:46 AM

User image

I was talking to some others who are racing Chattanooga this year and we were wondering about how the swim start will work. On the website it says a rolling start. Does anybody happen to have any other information...guesses... inside scoop? Are we starting from the shore or off a dock or what? Has anybody done one of the new rolling starts and how did it work? Thanks for any information.
2014-06-09 7:33 AM

User image

New user

Cleveland, TN
I know Quintana Roo recently started a tri bike rental with Ironman and since they are based out of Chattanooga it would be a good place to start. You might also check with the local bike shops such as Hub Endurance and East Ridge Bicycles.
2014-06-09 7:47 AM

User image

New user

Cleveland, TN
I'm a local and from what I've heard awhile back (and what I know about where the start is located), we are starting our swim from a barge. This could have changed since then but I don't see any other option. I'm not sure if we will hop in one at a time like IM Louisville (see youtube) or if 100 or so people with dive in/wading start.

Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic Tri is on the same section of course and we go out 10 at a time on a floating dock and hop in the water. They then send you off one at a time. I personally like this method because the congestion is minimal.

Whichever way they do it though it will be a blast. I wish the race was next week!
2014-06-09 8:59 AM
in reply to: cmonty16

No barge. A structure is being built that we will install race week. We should be able to get everyone in the water in under 30 minutes with a rolling start. 3-5 people every three seconds or so. More details to come.
Brian Myrick

2014-06-09 9:06 AM
in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

Thanks Brian for the quick reply.

Amy
2014-06-09 1:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Originally posted by bhmyrick

No barge. A structure is being built that we will install race week. We should be able to get everyone in the water in under 30 minutes with a rolling start. 3-5 people every three seconds or so. More details to come.
Brian Myrick

IMNY did a barge start (barge / structure same old same old if you are jumping off it). Getting to the structure might be interesting but I'm sure it will not be overwhelming. At IMNY it went smooth and we were spread out and this was well planned start (very expensive for the IM folks). The swim was FAST and I expect the same on this on.

Edited by aintaround 2014-06-09 1:51 PM
2014-06-09 5:50 PM
in reply to: aintaround

Veteran
Originally posted by aintaround

Brian Myrick

IMNY did a barge start (barge / structure same old same old if you are jumping off it). Getting to the structure might be interesting but I'm sure it will not be overwhelming. At IMNY it went smooth and we were spread out and this was well planned start (very expensive for the IM folks). The swim was FAST and I expect the same on this on.

Did they do the rolling start by AG or estimated swim time? Or just by place in line?
2014-06-09 8:37 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Regular
Oh, I did Eagleman this weekend! I figured if I could hang for the heat of it I'd be good if IMChat brings a bit of heat (you never know what late September will bring). I finished it, wasn't my best HIM, but wasn't my worst...
Heather
2014-06-09 9:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Originally posted by Rover24

Originally posted by aintaround

Brian Myrick

Did they do the rolling start by AG or estimated swim time? Or just by place in line?

Self seed and it was a little complicated - we rode a ferry from the bikes up river to the barge (about 15 minutes) there were at least 2 maybe 3 of these, as soon as we tie-up to the barge we made our way to the platform. this is where about 8 or so folks jumped or lower themselves into the water at a time and away we went. It was different but it was very orderly and not a problem.

2014-06-10 8:56 AM
in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

Brian,

When you know how you're going to seed the start - in what order can you let us know? I didn't think of this followup question until later in the day but that's the next question. How will we line up.

If it matters (which it doesn't but I'll share anyway) I personally would prefer a start organized by estimated swim time / pace. I understand that 90 percent of the swimmers will incorrectly estimate their swim speeds but nonetheless I find it better than organizing by race number or first in line.
2014-06-10 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Murfreesboro, TN
It will be first come.
2014-06-10 10:44 AM
in reply to: Jseminary

Veteran
I know its early but......

What's everyones wheel choices?
I am assuming based off my ride on the kickr that a disc and deep'ish front wheel will be better than a lightweight standard wheelset.

For anyone familiar with the run course, is it shaded during the afternoon, mixed or wide open?

2014-06-10 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg

I am assuming based off my ride on the kickr that a disc and deep'ish front wheel will be better than a lightweight standard wheelset.

For anyone familiar with the run course, is it shaded during the afternoon, mixed or wide open?

Yes on the wheels. I'm riding 60/90.
Run is mixed. Splitting the run into downtown and north shore...
Downtown: the Riverwalk is mostly shaded with a beautiful view, but the return on Amnicola Hwy is ugly, industrial and full sun. I really don't understand why we are not doing an out and back on the Riverwalk. It's plenty wide for two-way running and no auto traffic fumes.
North shore: Bridges are full sun, Barton/Hixon will be mixed and Riverview is mostly shade dependent upon time of day.
2014-06-10 3:09 PM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

Veteran
Originally posted by runswithcrazydog

Yes on the wheels. I'm riding 60/90.
Run is mixed. Splitting the run into downtown and north shore...
Downtown: the Riverwalk is mostly shaded with a beautiful view, but the return on Amnicola Hwy is ugly, industrial and full sun. I really don't understand why we are not doing an out and back on the Riverwalk. It's plenty wide for two-way running and no auto traffic fumes.
North shore: Bridges are full sun, Barton/Hixon will be mixed and Riverview is mostly shade dependent upon time of day.

Thanks, for the info.
A little shade will be nice, I have done IMFL the last 2 yrs and there is NO shade on that course.

2014-06-10 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach

I plan on rear disk and 404 front, compact crank (50/36) and 11/28 cassette
2014-06-12 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Haven't posted here in quite a while, but checking in!

This will be my 4th IM, hoping to go sub-11, and training has been looking in that direction so far. Luckily I live in Atlanta, so going to Chatt some weekends for recon rides is pretty easy.

Cheers to everyone and happy training!
2014-06-12 12:10 PM
in reply to: 15step

User image

I have this insane desire for Little Debbie Snack Cakes, since it was just annouced today that they were going to be one of the main sponsors...lol!

looking forward to my trip to Chatt this weekend for the OWS, and then bike/run course recon
2014-06-12 1:15 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Sylvania, Ga
Please sponsor me little debbie.

(Little debbie tri suit copy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Little debbie tri suit copy.jpg (191KB - 5 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30707 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61206 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173396 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40495 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: