General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2014-08-22 4:03 PM
in reply to: Fmode11

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread

My longest will be 16 and I haven't done it yet although I have done several 14 mile runs.  This is my 2nd year and 3rd IM with my current coach and this has been his approach for all of the races I have done with him.  For the 2 IM's I did prior I used BT plans and those longer runs approaching 20 miles.  Since I PR'd every race I did last year except 1, (3 HIM and 2 IM) it worked for me. 

2014-08-24 7:26 AM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I suppose it's all relative as far as the distance goes. I was already half marathon trained when I started IM training so I maintained my long run instead of dropping back to an hour, then bumped up as the training plan increased. I've done 2x 14, 4x 16, 1x 17, 1x 18. I'm slow. That 3 hr run on the plan gets me 17. And the plan is just now 3 hrs. So I feel that it is beneficial to me to do a handful of 3 hr runs rather than 1 -as long as I am recovering and not accruing fatigue.
2014-08-25 7:32 AM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

i do 15 or 16 milers every weekend (or most of them). Thats around 2:00-2:15, I have no desire to run more then that. I'd rather spend anymore free time sitting on the bike!

Also, I rode 108 miles of the course this weekend in stupid heat and humidity. the good news is, I don't think the weather can possibly be that tough on race day.
2014-08-25 7:29 PM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

i do 15 or 16 milers every weekend (or most of them). Thats around 2:00-2:15, I have no desire to run more then that. I'd rather spend anymore free time sitting on the bike!

Also, I rode 108 miles of the course this weekend in stupid heat and humidity. the good news is, I don't think the weather can possibly be that tough on race day.

I ran 3 hours Sunday and I agree that I would rather be sitting on the bike. Thats as long as I'm going. I'll start backing off the run and keep up the bike and swim for 2 more weeks
2014-08-27 9:09 AM
in reply to: Jseminary

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Now that the bike course map has been updated to show the aid stations on the course. Do you have a list of the mile markers that we'll pass by these stations? I'd like to put the list on my bike so that I know when one is coming up (get ready for a bottle exchange, etc.).

2014-08-27 10:29 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

The mile markers are also on the map.

2014-08-27 12:46 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by miamiamy The mile markers are also on the map.

I got the info:

15.5, 27, 38, 47, 58, 62.5, 74, 85, 94, and 105.

2014-08-27 8:46 PM

User image

BIB # are posted now I am #253
2014-08-28 7:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Who is ready for the 116 mile bike ride with a 16.5 hour time cut off?
2014-08-28 7:49 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Originally posted by GAUG3

Who is ready for the 116 mile bike ride with a 16.5 hour time cut off?

I can ride 116 miles in 16.5 hours, it's all that other stuff. - I think we'll be fine we trained we're ready - things happen cars, weather, flats, lost gear on the course, and such (we sort of plan and expect to overcome and generally do) but we know the distance and we know the time so there you are. 144.6 will be a nice oval on the back window.
2014-08-28 7:50 AM
in reply to: aintaround

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by aintaround
Originally posted by GAUG3 Who is ready for the 116 mile bike ride with a 16.5 hour time cut off?
I can ride 116 miles in 16.5 hours, it's all that other stuff. - I think we'll be fine we trained we're ready - things happen cars, weather, flats, lost gear on the course, and such (we sort of plan and expect to overcome and generally do) but we know the distance and we know the time so there you are. 144.6 will be a nice oval on the back window.

You forgot the .08!

2014-08-28 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
2014-08-28 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

And in other news, I was scrolling through my email and saw this little nugget in my Kindle deals emails

Chickamauga book

2014-08-28 8:08 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

A little bit of extra anxiety over the extra 4 + miles on FB!  I see the RD is back posting there, the response to the bike course will get him to check out again!

2014-08-28 8:10 AM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Originally posted by kenj

A little bit of extra anxiety over the extra 4 + miles on FB!  I see the RD is back posting there, the response to the bike course will get him to check out again!

I believe he left again after some of the stuff yesterday
2014-08-28 8:40 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Extreme Veteran
I can't imagine the stress he is going through. Yeah it is only 4 miles. It's not as simple as just go up that road instead that road. City approval, permits, traffic logistics come into play. If Chatty is anything like my city, it is SLOW. Just not sure why the route was not approved before they made the bid to offer their city.

2014-08-28 9:08 AM

User image

I can't imagine the stress he is going through. Yeah it is only 4 miles. It's not as simple as just go up that road instead that road. City approval, permits, traffic logistics come into play. If Chatty is anything like my city, it is SLOW. Just not sure why the route was not approved before they made the bid to offer their city.

it looks like some of it stems from taking out the hog jowl turn that was causing lots of grief (or at least that is how I understand it)
2014-08-28 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member

Being a RD for an inaugural Ironman has to be a nightmare. I did the inaugural IM Texas and there were hiccups, I was involved in 2 traffic stops so the Police could let some city officials thru and relieve some of the backup, it was all non-emergency. There were at least 150 other folks on the first stop and twice as many on the second. Also being a Sunday the rural churches were letting out and the deacons felt they could stop the bikes to let the congregations out. The IM village was setup in a mall parking lot and the merchants were very clear to the IM folks that we were not to use the parking area (mostly empty on race day), my opinion the first year they didn’t realize the money being bought in. I hear now all is good expect for the heat (I like the heat being from Florida). I also did the IM New York/New Jersey inaugural (and last) and that is a WHOLE other story but I enjoyed both.
So expect hiccups, expect some yahoos not being happy with us (you should be used to that if you ride a bike on the road), but most of all expect that Mike will be there at the end saying “You are an Ironman” all the other glitches’ will roll away. Then is the time to review and decide, but right now is the time to punch it and go.

2014-08-28 10:41 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Originally posted by austhokie

it looks like some of it stems from taking out the hog jowl turn that was causing lots of grief (or at least that is how I understand it)

What are you talking about when you said "...taking out the hog jowl turn...."? The Hog Jowl turn is still on the map and I think that would cut out a lot of mileage if they took that out. Do you have solid info or just FB bullsh** speculation?
2014-08-28 11:32 AM
in reply to: Afletcher

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
If you review the map, the tight turn onto Hog Jowl is still there. I haven't compared segment by segment to see what has changed, but I recall the first person that rode the entire course (months ago) said that he had 114 something as total mileage.
2014-08-28 1:03 PM
in reply to: Afletcher

Veteran
The course used to make the 2nd loop turn around on Nick-A Jack Road, now you go past that road to 193 and make the turn there.

2014-08-28 7:10 PM
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Originally posted by Rover24

The course used to make the 2nd loop turn around on Nick-A Jack Road, now you go past that road to 193 and make the turn there.

You are correct, changing the 2nd loop turn added distance, cutting out Chattanooga Valley Rd and staying on 193 was neutral, the sharp turn on Hog Jowl is still the. Before the changes the course was 114 miles, now it's 115.6 miles. I'm not stressing about it, but I like to know the miles for planning.
I rode 116 miles today, my butt is sore!

The Athletes Guide is up on the race website now. Good luck and be safe, Jim
2014-08-29 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Being a RD for an inaugural Ironman has to be a nightmare. I did the inaugural IM Texas and there were hiccups, I was involved in 2 traffic stops so the Police could let some city officials thru and relieve some of the backup, it was all non-emergency. There were at least 150 other folks on the first stop and twice as many on the second. Also being a Sunday the rural churches were letting out and the deacons felt they could stop the bikes to let the congregations out. The IM village was setup in a mall parking lot and the merchants were very clear to the IM folks that we were not to use the parking area (mostly empty on race day), my opinion the first year they didn’t realize the money being bought in. I hear now all is good expect for the heat (I like the heat being from Florida). I also did the IM New York/New Jersey inaugural (and last) and that is a WHOLE other story but I enjoyed both.
So expect hiccups, expect some yahoos not being happy with us (you should be used to that if you ride a bike on the road), but most of all expect that Mike will be there at the end saying “You are an Ironman” all the other glitches’ will roll away. Then is the time to review and decide, but right now is the time to punch it and go.

Poor Brian is getting lashed over on FB, and very undeservedly so. Putting on a race of that magnitude is a logistical nightmare and very thankless job. All the athletes on the FB need to lighten up just a tad. Plus all that negative energy is only hampering their ability to recover.
2014-08-29 4:45 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Originally posted by bcagle25

Poor Brian is getting lashed over on FB, and very undeservedly so. Putting on a race of that magnitude is a logistical nightmare and very thankless job. All the athletes on the FB need to lighten up just a tad. Plus all that negative energy is only hampering their ability to recover.

Just from the tone of the masses it sounds like (on FB) some of those folks are being overwhelm by issues beyond control. While it might be a concern it really should not be this much noise. Heck there is one person out there trying to convince his fellow athletes he might try to hard and hurt himself. If I feel something’s unsafe where the risk out weights the rewards I ain’t doing it. Can’t see that in this race. I’m waiting until after the race to have my wine.
2014-08-29 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by GAUG3 I can't imagine the stress he is going through. Yeah it is only 4 miles. It's not as simple as just go up that road instead that road. City approval, permits, traffic logistics come into play. If Chatty is anything like my city, it is SLOW. Just not sure why the route was not approved before they made the bid to offer their city.
Being a RD for an inaugural Ironman has to be a nightmare. I did the inaugural IM Texas and there were hiccups, I was involved in 2 traffic stops so the Police could let some city officials thru and relieve some of the backup, it was all non-emergency. There were at least 150 other folks on the first stop and twice as many on the second. Also being a Sunday the rural churches were letting out and the deacons felt they could stop the bikes to let the congregations out. The IM village was setup in a mall parking lot and the merchants were very clear to the IM folks that we were not to use the parking area (mostly empty on race day), my opinion the first year they didn’t realize the money being bought in. I hear now all is good expect for the heat (I like the heat being from Florida). I also did the IM New York/New Jersey inaugural (and last) and that is a WHOLE other story but I enjoyed both. So expect hiccups, expect some yahoos not being happy with us (you should be used to that if you ride a bike on the road), but most of all expect that Mike will be there at the end saying “You are an Ironman” all the other glitches’ will roll away. Then is the time to review and decide, but right now is the time to punch it and go.
Just from the tone of the masses it sounds like (on FB) some of those folks are being overwhelm by issues beyond control. While it might be a concern it really should not be this much noise. Heck there is one person out there trying to convince his fellow athletes he might try to hard and hurt himself. If I feel something’s unsafe where the risk out weights the rewards I ain’t doing it. Can’t see that in this race. I’m waiting until after the race to have my wine.

I really think that it's going to be a great event!  I've even been thinking of getting in line on the 29th for a repeat.  

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30678 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61175 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173272 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40454 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: