General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2014-08-19 11:56 AM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
Originally posted by runswithcrazydog

I'm still here just nothing new to add about the course. I did see the final run course is posted today with aid stations. And the comment that "special needs bags will not be returned". http://www.ironman.com/~/media/f7260949c01c40d59907fba1621c8ad0/cha...
That's really crappy that we can't retrieve our bags in some way. I'm not going to put dry socks or a long sleeve in my bag if I can't get back my tri top and other socks. How hard is it to leave the bags there so at least our family member can pick up after we pass by? I can't tell you how much it ticked me off to see some random person post on FB the photo of their haul from IM Boulder run special needs. She took home a year's supply of gu, nice bottles, sunglasses, etc. She said they dumped out all of the bags and took what they wanted. That's just wrong.

seriously! WTF!!

I know when we did B2B last year - I did the half, friends did the full - all the bags were just piled up and you grabbed them if you wanted the next day - everything else was donated to charity - volunteers couldn't just pick through them - makes me really consider what I am going to put in them for sure - like, if its cool, do I want to start with my light-weight/long-sleeve bike jacket, that I may have to take off half-way through - especially if I won't get it back

2014-08-19 12:33 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Regular
I agree they should at least leave the bags there until a certain specified time. Last year at IMFL, I went to retrieve my bag the following day. The special needs bags were being held until 1pm, then "discarded." We went by at 1pm and the volunteers were opening all the bags. They stated that they were collecting items to be donated to charity. There were tires, tubes, pitstops, shirts, bottles. It was unbelievable the amount of stuff left behind that no one claimed.
2014-08-19 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by austhokie
Originally posted by runswithcrazydog I'm still here just nothing new to add about the course. I did see the final run course is posted today with aid stations. And the comment that "special needs bags will not be returned". http://www.ironman.com/~/media/f7260949c01c40d59907fba1621c8ad0/cha... That's really crappy that we can't retrieve our bags in some way. I'm not going to put dry socks or a long sleeve in my bag if I can't get back my tri top and other socks. How hard is it to leave the bags there so at least our family member can pick up after we pass by? I can't tell you how much it ticked me off to see some random person post on FB the photo of their haul from IM Boulder run special needs. She took home a year's supply of gu, nice bottles, sunglasses, etc. She said they dumped out all of the bags and took what they wanted. That's just wrong.
seriously! WTF!! I know when we did B2B last year - I did the half, friends did the full - all the bags were just piled up and you grabbed them if you wanted the next day - everything else was donated to charity - volunteers couldn't just pick through them - makes me really consider what I am going to put in them for sure - like, if its cool, do I want to start with my light-weight/long-sleeve bike jacket, that I may have to take off half-way through - especially if I won't get it back

Oh, I know.  My husband waded into that mess at B2B and got my SN bags.  I like most of the changes made at B2B but the "no morning cloths bag" and the "pile o' SN bags" are not improvements, IMHO.

At Vineman, our bike SN bags were not returned but it was super easy to get your run SN bag as you were leaving. 

2014-08-19 8:06 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Okay just going to throw this out there. I am not concerned about getting my special needs bags back.

We have access to them during the race. If you want what's in there just take it when you go by. We know this now so we can plan our day.

2014-08-20 12:23 PM
in reply to: godekjames

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by godekjames Hey aushokie, it looks loike we are the only ones left on this thread. From one Hokie (VT '87) to another, good luck!

I'm still here, just feeling way too much like a slacker and unworthy to participate in the conversation  My training has been lackluster at best, and I'm hoping just to survive!  Ok, pity party over.

2014-08-20 9:13 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Regular
Ive been dormant as well. Just coming off racing Toughman in Alabama and I have to say it went fairly well. I nailed the swim and bike like I wanted but really faded on the run as usual. Wasn't hurting or cramping, just didn't have the mental energy to give it any more. Not sure what that was about. No GI issues, or mechanicals. It was positive energy overall though for the next runnup to the race. If I can just get this last discipline down. The run is such a mental blockade for me. A few weeks to get it together. Its been hot here in Chattanooga, upper 90s next couple days. Hope it cools down a bit over the next month.

2014-08-21 5:45 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Originally posted by Sous

Originally posted by godekjames Hey aushokie, it looks loike we are the only ones left on this thread. From one Hokie (VT '87) to another, good luck!

I'm still here, just feeling way too much like a slacker and unworthy to participate in the conversation  My training has been lackluster at best, and I'm hoping just to survive!  Ok, pity party over.

we all have those days/weeks - one day at a time - let's rock it!
2014-08-21 5:46 AM
in reply to: hornjs

User image

37 days! this time September 28th, we will be tackling each other in the swim line trying to get the best positioning
2014-08-21 7:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Have all of you been following the various Facebook forums?  How many are there?  The official page and then two or three groups and then there is a local to the Raleigh area IM Chat FB group.  I was trying to tell someone about the main story lines and freak outs.  There have definitely been times that I cannot even look at them -- all that negative energy.  Now I just find it to be funny

Story summary:

• OMG!  The bike is 113.5 miles!  Do you think that WTC knows?!  (Uh, yes.  That cue sheet that you are looking at?  Yeah, they made it)
  • OMG!  The swim starts at 7:30 and the race ends at midnight!  That's less that 17 hours!
  • OMG!  The PROS start at 7:30 but the Age Groupers start at 7:40 AND it's not a mass start.  The last swimmer to enter the water will have 16 hours or less!
  • OMG!  What if it's not wetsuit legal?!
  • Little Debbie (it's own category)
    • I'm OFFENDED that a JUNK FOOD MANUFACTURER wants to be associated with MY EVENT
    • Then there are the folks that are putting Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pie on random cars of people who are previewing the course.  (funny!)
2014-08-21 7:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
2014-08-21 7:38 AM

User image

Originally posted by jmkizer

Have all of you been following the various Facebook forums?  How many are there?  The official page and then two or three groups and then there is a local to the Raleigh area IM Chat FB group.  I was trying to tell someone about the main story lines and freak outs.  There have definitely been times that I cannot even look at them -- all that negative energy.  Now I just find it to be funny

Story summary:

• OMG!  The bike is 113.5 miles!  Do you think that WTC knows?!  (Uh, yes.  That cue sheet that you are looking at?  Yeah, they made it)
  • OMG!  The swim starts at 7:30 and the race ends at midnight!  That's less that 17 hours!
  • OMG!  The PROS start at 7:30 but the Age Groupers start at 7:40 AND it's not a mass start.  The last swimmer to enter the water will have 16 hours or less!
    • I'm OFFENDED that a JUNK FOOD MANUFACTURER wants to be associated with MY EVENT
    • Then there are the folks that are putting Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pie on random cars of people who are previewing the course.  (funny!)

they are soo hilarious to watch - even as a first-timer - some of the stressing going on...

I would add

OMG special needs drop off isn't noted in the schedule of events, that needs to be changed
what do you mean, I can't check-in on Saturday

2014-08-21 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

Story summary:

they are soo hilarious to watch - even as a first-timer - some of the stressing going on... I would add OMG special needs drop off isn't noted in the schedule of events, that needs to be changed what do you mean, I can't check-in on Saturday

It really is funny!

2014-08-21 11:04 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Still following this group and training for the race, between training and work havent had a lot of time to post or really much to add.

I do find some of the FB posts humorous, but I guess that everyone approaches the race with thier own anxiety and nervousness. 

Keep training strong, we are almost to the starting line!!

2014-08-21 11:09 AM

User image

Hi, everyone!

I am new here, but I've been lurking for a while. IMCHOO is going to be my first IM. I am using Don Fink's Competitive Program plan. So far so good. The only thing I am really stressed about is the weather And wetsuits. And the swim start at 7:40. And the bike course being 113.5 miles. And about Little Debbie being a sponsor for IMCHOO. That's it
2014-08-21 2:45 PM
in reply to: KatiaRun

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Originally posted by KatiaRun

Hi, everyone!

I am new here, but I've been lurking for a while. IMCHOO is going to be my first IM. I am using Don Fink's Competitive Program plan. So far so good. The only thing I am really stressed about is the weather And wetsuits. And the swim start at 7:40. And the bike course being 113.5 miles. And about Little Debbie being a sponsor for IMCHOO. That's it

DO NOT STRESS over what you can't control! The weather is was it is and you will be OK either way. I suck at swimming and just did the 2.4 mile swim in Chattanooga last Sat, I was 14 min faster than my fastest IM (7 so far) wearing only trishorts. The bike is longer as it stands now, but is subject to change, nothing is written in stone yet. What you can control is your training and it sounds like you are in good shape so far. Press through the last few weeks of training, get your gear in order, have your bike serviced and roll with the rest. It's all good. The biggest thing to remember is that your race most likely will not go exactly as planned. Be ready to adjust plans (weather, nutrition, bike mechanicals, etc. Practice your race hydration and nutrition during your workouts and then have a backup plan in case you drop something or you get sick of something. Always, Always stay positive no matter what happens! If you look looks you will miss some time goal or some such, stay positive, move on and enjoy the day. Nobody will care about your time, stay focused on the goal to finish. You will do fine if you have done the training, stay within yourself on the bike an let the rest roll! Good luck and NO STRESS, Jim
2014-08-21 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach

Originally posted by Skyhawk

Another Hokie here! VT '77

Hokies represent! VT'05 VTCC'05 here

VTCC '87 E Company all 4 years. Retired Navy, Great job raising money for the wounded troops!

2014-08-22 7:54 AM

User image

Originally posted by godekjames

Another Hokie here! VT '77

Hokies represent! VT'05 VTCC'05 here

VTCC '87 E Company all 4 years. Retired Navy, Great job raising money for the wounded troops!

oh the nightmare...lol! I didn't live in E company hallway, but I did live in F for a while as a rat...oh the pain
2014-08-22 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Georgia
Good to see the Corps represented well. I should modify my credentials to VTCC '77 F-Squadron.

Hijack over.

2014-08-22 10:23 AM
in reply to: Skyhawk

User image

Good to see the Corps represented well. I should modify my credentials to VTCC '77 F-Squadron.

Hijack over.

i think we've totally hijacked now! for the hokies (specially the VTCC contingent) - have you seen that Brodie and Rasche have been torn down?

thinking maybe we need to have a VTCC photo taken while in Chatt - anyone interested?
2014-08-22 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach

Hijack over.

i think we've totally hijacked now! for the hokies (specially the VTCC contingent) - have you seen that Brodie and Rasche have been torn down?

thinking maybe we need to have a VTCC photo taken while in Chatt - anyone interested?

I was lucky enough to get a brick from Rasche during the demolition, I have a classmate who is the Corps alumni director. Stopping by VT on my way to Chattanooga from Va Beach for the Ga Tech football. I'll be in Chattanooga the Sun before the race. Staying at the Marriott Residence Inn, I'm up for a VT Picture
2014-08-22 10:51 AM

User image

Originally posted by godekjames

Hijack over.

I was lucky enough to get a brick from Rasche during the demolition, I have a classmate who is the Corps alumni director. Stopping by VT on my way to Chattanooga from Va Beach for the Ga Tech football. I'll be in Chattanooga the Sun before the race. Staying at the Marriott Residence Inn, I'm up for a VT Picture

i'm jealous - I wanted a brick, but no joy...my rat year was in Rasche and then we moved to Monteith my other 3 years

2014-08-22 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg

they are soo hilarious to watch - even as a first-timer - some of the stressing going on...

I would add

OMG special needs drop off isn't noted in the schedule of events, that needs to be changed
what do you mean, I can't check-in on Saturday

To be fair, she was looking at the schedule and trying to get a handle on what to do when. She reviewed an athlete guide from another IM and it did indicate a special needs drop off on the schedule. There's a lot to take in and wrap your mind around the logistics of everything when you haven't done this before. And you sure don't want to mess up and miss a drop off time. It's easy for many with more experience to be snarky, but really it's more helpful if people just answer the question and move on. Highly annoying that so many continue to pile on with the "OMG you're so stupid" type comments. Not pointing the finger at anyone here.
2014-08-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
I'm doing a 19 mile run this week and have the Rock N Roll 1/2 in Va a Beach on the 31 of Aug. I' m thinking the 19 will be my longest and I'll start a 4 week run taper. What is the longest run you guys are planning
2014-08-22 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I did 18 last week. Dropping back to 12 this week because I have an oly race tomorrow so I will just add another 6 miles afterward (and that's about all I'll be good for). 18 again next week and that will be it.
2014-08-22 2:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Originally posted by runswithcrazydog

I did 18 last week. Dropping back to 12 this week because I have an oly race tomorrow so I will just add another 6 miles afterward (and that's about all I'll be good for). 18 again next week and that will be it.

My longest runs were/are 15 miles. I've done about 5 of them now with one being last night.

Asking the question what is someone's longest run is like asking if they eat macaroni and cheese with a spoon or a fork.

Does it really matter?

I'm willing to bet we all the run the same 26.2 run (or farther depending on the RD). When people ask this question it always baffles me. There's value in the distance if it's more of a mental thing for yourself but the added fitness you gain from such extreme training runs is very debatable for anything beyond the 15 mile territory. You add in the combined fatigue from swimming and biking your likelihood of injury creep drastically rises.

FWIW - I don't run more than 15 mile runs during IM training and my goal pace is 8:30/mile and a run split of 3:40-3:50 range. The trick is to become so strong on the bike you are fresh for the run. You can be the greatest runner in the world, but without superb bike fitness it will mean nothing. Goggle the African marathon world professionals that attempted an Ironman years back. None of them could run off the bike.

Edited by Fmode11 2014-08-22 3:00 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30582 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61075 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173123 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40353 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: