Iron Distance Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 18

2014-07-21 9:46 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread

Still a bit of recovery from last weeks HIM, then time to focus on this race.  Mentally I find it easier to get through the long season focusing on one race at a time and letting my coach worry about the whole season.  That has been especially true this year for some reason.  Not sure if it was because last year ended so late doing IMFL or the extremely nasty winter we all suffered through, but until I had a couple of races this past month, the motivation was kind of low. 

Looking forward to this now!  Thanks for the course info James and everyone else that has shared!  Since it will be race day before I see it first hand, it is much appreciated!

2014-07-21 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Originally posted by austhokie
I still haven't done more than 86 miles on the bike, or run more than 14 miles, but I know I can do it and dammit I will!

And do it you will!

There are a lot of schools of thought around distance training, so YMMV and take this with a grain of salt. But I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that. What matters more is consistency than overall distance. Yea a 14 mile run might not seem much for marathon training, but what is your weekly mileage looking like? Yes, it is good to get those longer distances in to acclimate to the pounding your body goes through over the course of the day and to mentally prepare you to be on your feet that long. However one could say that a high intensity 60 mile ride is just as good as (if not better than) a 90 mile ride at a leisurely pace. For a large majority of competitors either method would work fine.
2014-07-21 10:08 AM
in reply to: 15step

User image

mileage right now is around the 20 mile mark - normally 1 long run (right now on Thursday), then 2 shorter transition runs after bike rides - tuesay (bike is about an hour, then a 3-4 mile run) and saturday (long bike, then a 3-4 mile run)

I'm also not doing a 70.3 prior (due to money/time off work etc) - so we are doing one long training day first weekend in August - there is an OWS up in DC that I am going to do with a 2.4 mile course, then an 80-100mile bike and a 6 mile run;

that, plus the OWS I did in June in Chattanooga and the Annapolis 10 miler are the only "races" I'm doing - and teh 10 miler is going to have another 7is miles either before or after it
2014-07-21 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA

mileage right now is around the 20 mile mark - normally 1 long run (right now on Thursday), then 2 shorter transition runs after bike rides - tuesay (bike is about an hour, then a 3-4 mile run) and saturday (long bike, then a 3-4 mile run)

I'm also not doing a 70.3 prior (due to money/time off work etc) - so we are doing one long training day first weekend in August - there is an OWS up in DC that I am going to do with a 2.4 mile course, then an 80-100mile bike and a 6 mile run;

that, plus the OWS I did in June in Chattanooga and the Annapolis 10 miler are the only "races" I'm doing - and teh 10 miler is going to have another 7is miles either before or after it

Mileage for a run should continue to increase as time goes on. We have 10 weeks to go (8 if youre not counting a taper) so keep building that run mileage up.

Not doing a 70.3 beforehand is not a game killer at all. You have the right mindset getting in a mock-race to practice.

From what I have found out, getting your body used to running on tired/dead legs and being able to push through it is key. Yes, mileage should be high (its a freakin ironman!) but its also all relative for the individual athlete and their goals. Are you confident in your training for the goals you want to achieve? Is your head in the right place for motivation during a race (especially late in the day and you're wanting to quit? Can you get to the finish line on race day knowing that you left everything out there on the course? If you can say 'yes' to those I can't see how you would ever have a bad day
2014-07-21 11:53 AM

User image

yep, coach has me on a 3 week building, 1 week recover plan - this is week 1 of build phase, long run is 14 miles I think...so I'm figuring 14, 15, 16 over the next three weeks and then drop back to 6-7 for recovery...then one more build phase before taper
2014-07-21 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

yep, coach has me on a 3 week building, 1 week recover plan - this is week 1 of build phase, long run is 14 miles I think...so I'm figuring 14, 15, 16 over the next three weeks and then drop back to 6-7 for recovery...then one more build phase before taper

Sounds similar... I'm beginning week 3 of a 3 week build and my long run Thursday is 16 miles. Long swim Friday is 4k and long ride Saturday is 120 miles. Sunday begins recovery week with a leisurely 6 mile run.

I have one more 3-week build to complete than on to specific Ironman pace workouts. Tick-toc-tick-toc.....

2014-07-22 5:58 AM
in reply to: Fmode11

User image

Originally posted by Fmode11

Sounds similar... I'm beginning week 3 of a 3 week build and my long run Thursday is 16 miles. Long swim Friday is 4k and long ride Saturday is 120 miles. Sunday begins recovery week with a leisurely 6 mile run.

I have one more 3-week build to complete than on to specific Ironman pace workouts. Tick-toc-tick-toc.....

I was just shy of 4k yesterday on my swim - planned was 3800 but when I added up the workout it was 3900...lol! I think my other 2 swims this week are in that vicinity - brike ride on Saturday is 6.5 hours - depending on which course I use could be 80 miles (last time I used this course it was nearly 5000ft of gain over 74 miles) or could be 100 miles
2014-07-22 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
I plan on heading up to Chattanooga this weekend for my second long training weekend. 13 mile run and a long swim Saturday. 90 mile bile with a 7 mile run Sunday. This time around will be a bit closer to race execution in terms of pacing and nutrition, and will hopefully prove that I am on point for where I need to be 9 weeks out.

If anyone has questions about the course or wants some details that I can gather while I'm there let me know, I will be happy to take pictures or notes.
2014-07-22 10:30 AM

User image

Originally posted by 15step

I plan on heading up to Chattanooga this weekend for my second long training weekend. 13 mile run and a long swim Saturday. 90 mile bile with a 7 mile run Sunday. This time around will be a bit closer to race execution in terms of pacing and nutrition, and will hopefully prove that I am on point for where I need to be 9 weeks out.

If anyone has questions about the course or wants some details that I can gather while I'm there let me know, I will be happy to take pictures or notes.

have fun - I was down there in June - loved it! the swim was fast (although we are racing on the other side of the river for the IM), the bike kicked me (this flat-lander needs to find hills) and we about 4.5 miles on the run coure
New Thread
Iron Distance Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 17346 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 49159 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 153514 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 29155 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : ahohl
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : ahohl
comments : 7
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: