General Discussion Triathlon Talk » potential foot hairline fracture, training advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-04 12:36 PM

Subject: potential foot hairline fracture, training advice?
Hi guys/girls

I need some help/advice on anything I can do to keep up my fitness levels with a possible metatarsal fracture and I have been to the doctors but the main problem is not so much the training but just general walking around.

Any tips for a fairly speedy recovery without causing further damage?

cheers

2013-10-04 12:45 PM
in reply to: swimshuffle

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: potential foot hairline fracture, training advice?

The less you do (weightbearing with the foot), the quicker it heals.  So, keeping fitness and minimizing recovery often come into conflict with those of us addicted to sweating.

I'd say that training (at least running, probably biking for the first few weeks depending on how it feels) would indeed be part of the problem is you're trying to minimize recovery time.

Boot/crutches for first 4 weeks if it's severe is a common recommendation, then another 2-6 weeks without running is typical.  Many will skip the boot, most skip the crutches (but those minimize recovery time - all a balance of what you're willing to do).

Fitness during recovery:  swim, aquajog first.  Then add in high cadence spinning (best on a trainer), but only when there is no pain in the foot during OR after.  Then can get back on the road on a bike, but that's pretty late in the recovery.  Then back to running - which needs to be built back up carefully.

That's just one person's view (wife has a SF at the moment, so it's fresh) and does not constitute medical advice!  YMMV

Good luck and speedy recovery.  Injuries happen, but $uck!

Matt

2013-10-04 12:46 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro
Plus, if you've got access to a gym with a hand cycle, use it! 
2013-10-05 1:55 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Thanks for the tips, I don't know in some ways whether its the training but been on my feet at work which is more of the issue but not been able to run for ages isn't a problem as I was considering jacking in running for a while to focus on spinning my hand at some road races for cycling next season but thats a long way off.

2013-10-05 2:13 PM
in reply to: swimshuffle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Could you use a rowing machine, without pushing too much with the feet? I can't remember if you have to push with your feet, or if you just use them to steady yourself, but I always had a good workout on them,
Feel better!
Nancy
2013-10-05 2:51 PM
in reply to: nancylee

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Aquajogging.

It sucks, but it works.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » potential foot hairline fracture, training advice? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fractured foot

Started by music man
Views: 821 Posts: 6

2012-03-14 5:00 AM chevy57

Can't run w/ Stress Fracture - Training Advice?

Started by Ershk
Views: 2429 Posts: 14

2009-06-24 12:32 PM tjfry

bike with stress fracture in foot?

Started by mcbill98
Views: 1127 Posts: 9

2009-06-12 3:06 PM scott h

fractured foot

Started by meepx2
Views: 2346 Posts: 15

2008-03-15 6:02 PM Dr Hammer

Question for Guys of a Certain Age, and Hairline

Started by Vermonter
Views: 1397 Posts: 17

2007-09-19 2:53 AM Hawkeye
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 18, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I expected to hurt after the marathon, and I did but there was nothing that I was immediately alarmed about. Since then, the foot pain that popped up after the marathon has not really gone away.

date : April 23, 2012
Suggestions for other activities to do while recovering from a stress fracture.
date : May 9, 2011
Stress fractures are one of the most feared injuries in the realm of endurance sports and they are also one of the most common sidelining injuries that such athletes face.

date : September 17, 2008
I still have heel pain and shin pain, and now I've got a weird pain in the center of my foot. Do you think I should have an x-ray to make sure that I don't have a stress fracture in my foot?
date : September 13, 2007
Earlier this year I had 2 stress fractures on my left foot. Both requiring 6 weeks rest. I am finally running injury free. How likely am I to get a stress fracture in the same location?

date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?
date : July 30, 2006
Injuries do happen, and we would like to discuss a few injuries that are common. All of these injuries can fall under the category of what are commonly called overuse injuries.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.