Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-07 10:04 AM
in reply to: jswayland

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Favorite local food
For food local to where I live now (Maine) - it would have to be freshly steamed lobster. The family has lobster boats/traps. Pulling them in the morning, steaming them in seawater on a fire on the beach...that's some wicked good eats.

2013-10-07 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
One more Philly item. Goldenberg's Peanut Chews. When I moved to Michigan and found out they weren't sold there, I wrote the company and said how much I missed them. The CEO sent me a package of 5 pounds of peanut chews and a personalized letter.
2013-10-07 5:16 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cnsegura While there's plenty of good food here in Seattle, nothing that really stands out as "local" unless you count Salmon which I say is more PNW fare. However, 20+ years after moving away I still miss the food from New Mexico. Particularly the northern part of the state. Nothing comes close to NM style chile and sopapillas.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!! Love the green chile and you can't beat the sopapillas! And, of course, breakfast burritos

2013-10-07 5:18 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by MLPFS
Originally posted by switchWorst. Thread. Ever! What the hell is the matter with you people? Have you no mercy? *sniff*
I know what yours is! I seem to remember a comment about eatting squirrel.

Haha!  No, no, no, I'll eat squirrel, but I'm not really a fan.  I think stuff always tastes better when you catch it/hunt it/gather it/grow it--so any meal with that component is just automatically awesome

I have regional favorites, but nothing that's really locally specific.  What I might say for my favorite local food is "my grandmother's food", but now the only way I get that is at my mom's or cooking it myself. 

My grandmother was a fabulous cook... and a wonderful lady.

Carry on.  This is sweet torture...

I miss my Grandma and her cooking. I have fond memories of sitting at her kitchen in East Peru, Iowa listening to her sing/yodel as she cooked. And she had an amazing knack for using leftovers! Mmmmm Grandma's biscuits n gravy... sigh

2013-10-07 5:46 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Sensei
Sin City

STL has fired ravioli and St Louis style pizza that are completely indigenous to the city and are FANTASTIC.  Had some amazing BBQ in Kansas City, Springfield Illinois has something called a horseshoe which is fantastic and can only be gotten in the city.  I want to try the Juicy Lucy in Minneapolis and an authentic Philly.  I had a gyro from a stand in Santorini Greece and some Soba in Japan that was the best I ever had.  Oh, and a seafood paella in a back ally restaurant in Barcelona that was one of the best things I ever ate.  Oh, and the best chocolate desert, and of all things the best HOT DOG, in Paris.

2013-10-07 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by jswayland

For food local to where I live now (Maine) - it would have to be freshly steamed lobster. The family has lobster boats/traps. Pulling them in the morning, steaming them in seawater on a fire on the beach...that's some wicked good eats.

When did you leave CT? Not that our local is that great...

2013-10-07 10:08 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by cnsegura While there's plenty of good food here in Seattle, nothing that really stands out as "local" unless you count Salmon which I say is more PNW fare. However, 20+ years after moving away I still miss the food from New Mexico. Particularly the northern part of the state. Nothing comes close to NM style chile and sopapillas.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!! Love the green chile and you can't beat the sopapillas! And, of course, breakfast burritos

WORD

Reno- we got nothin' specific. In Winnemucca? Basque Lamb Chops and potatoes at The Martin Hotel.

2013-10-08 12:22 PM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Deep fried cheese curds and Friday night fish fry.
2013-10-08 12:30 PM
in reply to: Lumber Dad

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Lumber Dad Deep fried cheese curds and Friday night fish fry.

Mmmmmm or just fresh cheese curds!!!!!

2013-10-14 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
STEAMED CRABS!!! with an ice cold beer of course
2013-10-14 1:08 PM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Bored at the end of a long week with food on my mind got me to thinking.  What's your favorite local food you can only get where you live because it's only made the RIGHT way where you live?

For me it's easy, Philly = Cheese steak - without!

Dallas, TX here. Tex-Mex is IT. So delicious.

I went to On the Border in the Orlando, FL airport. It's a chain. It should be the same no matter what state you are in, right?

It started out pretty funny because the waitress sets the hot sauce down and says, "I'm warning you, it is REALLY hot." I replied, "I'm from Texas, I think I'll be OK." It was medium hot at best. Mind you, I don't really dig super spicy-hot food either. But it wasn't hot.

The meal itself was OK, but nothing like the rice, beans and cheese enchiladas I get in at the OTB in Dallas, TX. It's not the best Tex-Mex in the world, I know, so how the heck do you mess it up? Ha!

We are about to go to Japan for 9 days and got a Trip Advisor recommendation to eat at a Mexican food restaurant in Kyoto. We ARE going to check it out. Just to get a good laugh.

2013-10-14 1:16 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by jswayland

The best gilato (? spelling) I have ever had was bought in Portland, Maine. To die for. Perfection.

And the most creative and tasty pizza was also purchased in Portland, Maine as well. Amazing.

PS- I am vegetarian so I didn't try to seafood.

2013-10-15 10:23 PM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Elite
Utah
Originally posted by the bear

Anything labelled Cajun or Creole outside of south Louisiana is rarely worth trying: gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee, boudin, cracklins, and so on. A good shrimp or oyster poboy is getting harder to find even locally.

And now I'm hungry.

DITTO!!!

Bear, is the old Landry's in DT Laffy not open anymore? They always had the best po-boys!! Well, second to the little TuffShed kitchen by the rr tracks in Amelia.

I don't think you can get boudin outside of La? I've never seen it at gas stations outside of the borders.
And the best boudin is always an ongoing argument (my mother claims Hebert's in Lafayette; I claim the slaughterhouse in Eunice)

Of course, my 7yo asked me to make him a courtboullion last weekend, geaux figar, you can't find catfish bellies in Utah!!! humf!!
We had shrimp okra gumbo instead.
2013-10-16 6:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by geauxtri

Anything labelled Cajun or Creole outside of south Louisiana is rarely worth trying: gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee, boudin, cracklins, and so on. A good shrimp or oyster poboy is getting harder to find even locally.

And now I'm hungry.

DITTO!!! Bear, is the old Landry's in DT Laffy not open anymore? They always had the best po-boys!! Well, second to the little TuffShed kitchen by the rr tracks in Amelia. I don't think you can get boudin outside of La? I've never seen it at gas stations outside of the borders. And the best boudin is always an ongoing argument (my mother claims Hebert's in Lafayette; I claim the slaughterhouse in Eunice) Of course, my 7yo asked me to make him a courtboullion last weekend, geaux figar, you can't find catfish bellies in Utah!!! humf!! We had shrimp okra gumbo instead.

Been here twenty years and don't remember a Landry's in downtown. Are you thinking about Don's? Chris' PoBoys? The best shrimp poboy in my tenure here has always been Olde Tyme, everyone else is just a pretender.

Boudin: Not sure where Hebert's in Lafayette is, or if they're still around, and have never been to a slaughterhouse in Eunice. Best boudin IMHO is the Best Stop in Scott, where you can also find the best cracklins.

Edit: there is a famous Hebert's in Maurice, home of the original turducken.

2013-10-16 10:09 AM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
For me locally it's tomato pies from DeLorenzo's or Papa's. For years they were in Trenton which is not so nice (I'm being very kind!) anymore but are now in actual walking distance from my house. Just talking about it has helped me make my dinner choice for tonight.
2013-10-16 10:14 AM
in reply to: tricrazy

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by tricrazy Well, I am from Pittsburgh so even though I don't live there now, I have to say a Primanti Brothers sandwich. The BEST!!!!

In Cleveland, it is the same, but they're called Panini's.

2013-10-16 10:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Cleveland

And now I'm hungry.

No trip to Louisiana, in my opinion, is complete without a stop at Middendorf's in Akers, LA off of I-55.

Best. Catfish. Ever.

And gumbo worth killing for.

Don's Seafood is pretty good, too... though, I've only ever been to the one in Hammond.

Edited by cgregg 2013-10-16 10:22 AM
2013-10-16 10:36 AM
in reply to: Lumber Dad

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by Lumber Dad Deep fried cheese curds and Friday night fish fry.

Yes.  And frozen custard.

I guess you can tell why I gain 5 pounds every time I visit my parents in Wisconsin, huh?

2013-10-16 7:48 PM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Elite
Utah

Originally posted by geauxtri

And now I'm hungry.

DITTO!!! Bear, is the old Landry's in DT Laffy not open anymore? They always had the best po-boys!! Well, second to the little TuffShed kitchen by the rr tracks in Amelia. I don't think you can get boudin outside of La? I've never seen it at gas stations outside of the borders. And the best boudin is always an ongoing argument (my mother claims Hebert's in Lafayette; I claim the slaughterhouse in Eunice) Of course, my 7yo asked me to make him a courtboullion last weekend, geaux figar, you can't find catfish bellies in Utah!!! humf!! We had shrimp okra gumbo instead.

Been here twenty years and don't remember a Landry's in downtown. Are you thinking about Don's? Chris' PoBoys? The best shrimp poboy in my tenure here has always been Olde Tyme, everyone else is just a pretender.

Boudin: Not sure where Hebert's in Lafayette is, or if they're still around, and have never been to a slaughterhouse in Eunice. Best boudin IMHO is the Best Stop in Scott, where you can also find the best cracklins.

Edit: there is a famous Hebert's in Maurice, home of the original turducken.

Maybe it was Don's??? We went there primarily when I was little. I think I know the Best Stop in Scott (north of I-10, right? My uncle used to live off that road. Was a little grocery with HUGE icebox out front? ). Yep, Hebert's in Maurice. There's also a gas station north of the horse track that people say is really good, but I find it too ricey. As a kid, I lived on Savoie's. The slaughterhouse/meat market in Eunice is the on the west side of town. Take the road in front of the Superette all the way out to the T in the road and it's on the left. Unfortunately, I haven't had boudin from them since Jan 2006 - Can't WAIT for this summer's ROAD TRIP!!!
2013-10-22 2:20 PM
in reply to: doxie

New user
Close, I live within an hour of Springfield.

Originally posted by doxie

Originally posted by moogley Horse shoe or pony shoe depending on your appetite. In college it was a Herald.

Are you from Springfield?

2013-10-22 8:26 PM
in reply to: moogley

poutine from the katrine fry truck.........I know disgusting but I love it

2013-10-23 8:38 AM
in reply to: moogley

User image

Master

Originally posted by moogley Close, I live within an hour of Springfield.

Originally posted by moogley Horse shoe or pony shoe depending on your appetite. In college it was a Herald.

I grew up in Springfield. The horsehoe is a staple in a child's diet until you are about 18 and know better.

I also recently was in middle of nowhere PA & NY and had a spiedie sandwich that it was pretty amazing.

2013-10-26 9:33 AM
in reply to: jhouse4

New user
Horse shoes are pretty awesome. It all hinges on the cheese sauce. Some even have a breakfast shoe.

We lived in Southern Illinois for several years & local pub served horse shoes.

Evansville, Indiana has brain sandwiches. I've never had one, but they do have a following.

Originally posted by jhouse4

Originally posted by moogley Close, I live within an hour of Springfield.

I grew up in Springfield. The horsehoe is a staple in a child's diet until you are about 18 and know better.

I also recently was in middle of nowhere PA & NY and had a spiedie sandwich that it was pretty amazing.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Favorite local food Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Favorite Fast Food...

Started by Hulk
Views: 1091 Posts: 25

2009-07-12 8:23 PM sipe

Favorite Comfort Food Pages: 1 2

Started by MUL98
Views: 1857 Posts: 36

2008-03-25 1:28 AM crazyt1971

Name your favorite junk food Pages: 1 2

Started by krludwig
Views: 1930 Posts: 31

2008-02-17 11:07 PM milaminute

Your favorite food Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Spokes
Views: 2110 Posts: 52

2007-01-05 4:48 PM bsjracing

Lets hear your secret fast food favorite Pages: 1 2

Started by regimom
Views: 2476 Posts: 47

2006-11-02 1:26 PM KenyonTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.

date : April 18, 2005
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance
date : April 17, 2005
author : bflrich
There will always be something else to do, your goal is to find a time when there usually isn't something better to do.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.
date : January 24, 2005
comments : 1
You know what you should eat. Yet you just don’t want to. Yuck—whole wheat bread, bran cereal, oatmeal, skim milk, spinach, fish, fruit for snacks and desserts.

date : January 10, 2005
Eating for Endurance: Strategies for Extraordinary Athletes