General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How often do you *almost* get killed while out on a ride or run? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-07 9:34 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

Subject: RE: How often do you *almost* get killed while out on a ride or run?
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

I really hate the answer of "it depends", but lately with the sunset happening earlier and the sunrise happening later, I'm riding more in the dark than I'm comfortable with.  I do have bright ligts on the front and the back so I sometimes think drivers see that better then the guy on his bike.  Not sure but I try to stay on county roads that I know are biker friendly.  Luckily I'm only about a 2 mile ride from my house to get to those roads. 

Now running is a totally different story.  I have my head on a constant swivel when running.  This past Saturday I almost got creamed.  I saw it coming and was able to react thankfully. 

WARNING!!!  The following statements are being made by a runner who faced a near death experience and is still a little shaken up by it:

So like I said on Saturday I was running.  5:30 AM.  Still dark. 40 degrees.  Windy as heck. Light mist coming down.  One of my routes I take goes along a stretch of road that has a McDonalds, tobacco store, and donut store all within about 2 blocks.   I saw this car pull out of the McD's drive up, speed down the road towards me, and whip into the donut shop.  No blinkers and was already stuffing her face with her McD's sandwhich.  No way she could see me over the sandwhich wrapper and god forbid anyone slowing down the donut shop visit.  At least I saw her coming and just stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. 

When I was younger I may have said something like:  "Don't worry fat arse the donut shop will still be there when you are done stuffing your throat with your McMuffin sandwhich"  

Now a days I just told her to please watch the road. 

She was really bitc hy about it too. 

That's your problem right there. You should have just gone with your first reaction...

2013-10-07 3:16 PM
in reply to: KebaNYC

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Not very often while riding. About 2-3 times a month while running, it seems that no one around here looks right when turning.
2013-10-07 3:52 PM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
I must be really lucky because I've only really had a couple of close calls both riding and running and I ride a mix of high velocity roads and 2 lane rural, there aren't very many cycleists around so my neighbors tend to do a better job I guess.
2013-10-07 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Originally posted by KebaNYC

Here in NJ most of my rides are on 2 lane county roads that are lined with plenty of intersections, driveways and stores. Yesterdays ride I felt like I was riding with a target on my back. Between people zooming out of gas stations, rolling through stop signs and backing out of driveways there were at least a dozen times that could have put me in the wagon with the flashing lights. Add to that the people who you are sure see you but keep edging up to make a left turn or stop at the last minute and that puts my HR monitor Z4 unnecessarily. I know i'm not alone but I had to vent.

Be safe!

Keba

Jersey! Pshht!

Seriously, everyone in greater DC is REALLY IMPORTANT and in a rush. I head out to country roads, and guys heading for the local bass lake with a 40' boat in tow are also riding way too fast. And then there are the drivers who just look at cyclists as a nuisance. I'm not a nuisance. I'm a good husband, a Dad, a volunteer volleyball coach, a beloved member of the community who doesn't want to be fat anymore. Wait, THAT's MIKE I JUST RAN OVER!

Be careful out there!
2013-10-07 4:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Originally posted by KebaNYC

Here in NJ most of my rides are on 2 lane county roads that are lined with plenty of intersections, driveways and stores. Yesterdays ride I felt like I was riding with a target on my back. Between people zooming out of gas stations, rolling through stop signs and backing out of driveways there were at least a dozen times that could have put me in the wagon with the flashing lights. Add to that the people who you are sure see you but keep edging up to make a left turn or stop at the last minute and that puts my HR monitor Z4 unnecessarily. I know i'm not alone but I had to vent.

Be safe!

Keba

Jersey! Pshht!

Seriously, everyone in greater DC is REALLY IMPORTANT and in a rush. I head out to country roads, and guys heading for the local bass lake with a 40' boat in tow are also riding way too fast. And then there are the drivers who just look at cyclists as a nuisance. I'm not a nuisance. I'm a good husband, a Dad, a volunteer volleyball coach, a beloved member of the community who doesn't want to be fat anymore. Wait, THAT's MIKE I JUST RAN OVER!

Be careful out there!

Anything worth posting is worth a DP!

Edited by pga_mike 2013-10-07 4:06 PM
2013-10-07 5:04 PM

Expert
Golden, CO
Not often..since I now that I have a daughter I  purposefully ride on bike paths, trails or roads that are not very busy.  Although I must say it is when I am out riding on the farm roads thatt I am more likely to run into some in his pick up who wants to buzz me for no apparent reason.   Of course riding on the bike paths present their own sets of aggravation..like dealing with cyclists who will not slow down or give a courtesy to family or others trying to enjoy the paths...or even one's who apparently deaf an mute..but that is a whole other post.

2013-10-07 6:58 PM
in reply to: tb1000

User image

New user
Running..
I have had many incidents when I would be running with a group and have near death encounters. For some of you athletes in the Twin Cities area might have heard of a kid getting hit by a bus (luckily he is in good shape now). That kid was a member of our team. It goes to show that taking the extra step for being safe can never hurt. Looking at some of your stories, some of you are lucky to be alive! I hope everyone can stay safe, and I will try to do the safe. "The world is a dangerous place"...

-Zach
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How often do you *almost* get killed while out on a ride or run? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

I almost killed my self!!!

Started by jon16817
Views: 1523 Posts: 12

2012-04-08 11:25 PM djake80

profile design aerobars almost killed me

Started by jmio
Views: 1664 Posts: 9

2010-09-21 6:17 AM Pector55

Getting sick more often...

Started by SweetK
Views: 1169 Posts: 17

2006-09-25 8:18 AM jeanneroth

Jerk in SUV almost kills me!

Started by Guru
Views: 1562 Posts: 20

2006-09-10 9:10 PM MikeTheBear

Almost got killed by............

Started by cobannero
Views: 1256 Posts: 16

2005-04-21 11:47 PM maddog62
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout