Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 650/1098
Run
  • 1h 40m 24s
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

*Overall is female only*

This was race #3 of the Loony Challenge. TCM offered this option to 250 runners - for one fee we ran the 5k, 10k (Saturday) and the 10 Miler on Sunday. I did this for the guaranteed entry to the 10 miler, which has a lottery. I tried not to push myself too hard on Saturday, but I know the 10k took a lot out of me and my legs were sore.

I was worried when I got up because I did feel tired, like going up stairs really raised my heart rate. I just forged ahead with getting to the race, waiting around for about a half hour, got in the corral and went with the crowd to the start line. This was my 10th 10 miler, so it was nice to not have the annoying race jitters.

I hit the start line and realized my watch had gone into sleep mode. I had babysat that darn thing for the last half hour, so that was really annoying. I "unlocked" it, and hit the start button, and fortunately the satellites synced quickly. Despite all this, my watch buzzed at mile 1 beFORE the mile 1 marker. Typical.

The first mile was rough. Just like in my training runs lately I struggled to loosen up. That never happens in races, so obviously the 10k and 5k the day before really took it's toll. Fortunately the first several miles are mostly downhill. The run up to the Franklin bridge was much harder than it was the last time I did this race (fully rested), but I did keep running after a quick gel/walk break on the steepest part leading up. Then I finally got into a bit of a rhythm, but I realized that basically my legs were too tired to push the pace my cardio system could handle. Fine with me, I didn't feel like pushing it anyway :)

I saw a friend at mile 4 and my husband was with two other friends at mile 5.5ish. That was a great boost and I stopped to do high-fives and complain for a sec. The stretch from there to mile 7 is the hardest, I think, so I just plodded away. I had a gel right before the mile 7 water stop, which tasted NASTY. Mocha Gu I think - yuck. Fortunately I seem to have a stomach of steel, so it got the job done. The last three miles are fairly easy and with the gels and some Powerade, I felt pretty good. Last time I did this race I died a bit during the last three miles so I was determined to stay focused this time. Since I had run the last few miles of the course two times the day before, I was at a mental advantage and the last part really zipped by. I crossed the finish line feeling VERY glad I had completed the challenge and had earned a short break from running. Yay!
Post race
Warm down:

Everyone has been really generous with their congratulations in completing this challenge. I don't think it comes close to running 19.3 miles straight and definitely not a marathon. It's more miles run in 24 hours than I have ever done with Ragnar, but I also had the advantage of a nice long break with real food and a bed, unlike Ragnar. So, I am most proud of executing the 10 mile race at a decent and consistent pace but i didn't want my friends who do much more amazing things to think I came even close! :)

Last updated: 2013-08-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:40:24 | 10 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1098
Overall: 0/5261
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-10-06 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Medtronic TC 10 Mile

2013-10-07 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4871775

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: RE: Medtronic TC 10 Mile
Great job and way to complete the challenge! I've always thought that those multi day races would actually be easier if I could just run them all in one day, maybe with a 30-60 minute break in between! Otherwise overnight is just enough time for things to get a little tight.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Medtronic TC 10 Mile Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Medtronic TC 10 Mile

Started by trigirlkris
Views: 1840 Posts: 6

2008-10-08 11:12 AM kelpeng

Medtronic TC 10 Mile

Started by nancschneids
Views: 1028 Posts: 1

2007-11-13 2:31 PM nancschneids

Medtronic TC 10 Mile

Started by mlnelson
Views: 1113 Posts: 1

2007-10-07 10:59 AM mlnelson

Medtronic TC 10 Mile

Started by lhanneman
Views: 1520 Posts: 3

2006-12-28 2:19 PM SunnyS

Medtronic TC 10 Mile

Started by elhenders
Views: 1217 Posts: 1

2006-10-29 1:11 PM elhenders
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.