Other Resources The Political Joe » The ACA has revealed ignorance about... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-07 7:00 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: The ACA has revealed ignorance about...
The Constitution and its first 3 articles about the three branches of the federal government and the power, duties, and limitations of each. I have friends who think that Obama shut down the monuments.

2013-10-07 8:26 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: The ACA has revealed ignorance about...

Originally posted by pga_mike The Constitution and its first 3 articles about the three branches of the federal government and the power, duties, and limitations of each. I have friends who think that Obama shut down the monuments.

You're right, Obama didn't drive over and shut them down.  :-P

So lets go through a few things:

• The WWII monument, Lincoln Memorial, and most of the other structures are just static architectural buildings that are open 24/7 and have virtually no oversight/security.  They don't need to be "opened", but they did intentionally close them with barricades.
  • The Parks service who is responsible for security is unaffected by the shut down.  They are being paid and able to work with business as usual.  They are the ones erecting barricades around all of the monuments.

The plausible explanation that's getting pushed around the left wing outlets such as DU and HuffPo (yes I read those) is that it's a government shutdown and only unessential operations are allowed to go forward.  OK, I can go with that, but why did they take all the effort to barricade them and forcibly shut them down?  Is there some inherent safety issue that we can't walk by the monument at 2:00 in the morning today that's different then 2:00 in the morning two weeks ago?

There have also been a lot of reports of parks personnel being interviewed where they said they're being instructed to make it as painful as possible to the public so they put pressure on the politicians to end the shutdown.

So, do I think Obama himself is responsible for shutting the monuments down?  No, I don't.  But, I do think it's pretty obvious that there's a general political strategy by the Dems and the media to make the shutdown look as painful and impactful as possible so the public becomes outraged enough to force the republicans to end the shutdown.

Either way it's pretty stupid because as LB mentioned in the other thread everyone will get back pay and I saw something else last night that 83% of Federal employees are still working.

2013-10-07 9:27 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
NPS ~ 24,000 Employees
NPS Furloughs ~ 22,000

Try to run a company with 90% of the workforce laid off. That is what happened to the NPS. They can't even keep the garbage cans from overflowing on the DC Mall. You want trash all over the Lincoln Memorial? What do you think it would look like after a week.

AND...
the Lincoln Memorial had green paint thrown on it less than a month ago overnight. The response from the public was outrage at the NPS for not having a guard posted there 24/7.

2013-10-07 10:35 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by pga_mike NPS ~ 24,000 Employees NPS Furloughs ~ 22,000 Try to run a company with 90% of the workforce laid off. That is what happened to the NPS. They can't even keep the garbage cans from overflowing on the DC Mall. You want trash all over the Lincoln Memorial? What do you think it would look like after a week. AND... the Lincoln Memorial had green paint thrown on it less than a month ago overnight. The response from the public was outrage at the NPS for not having a guard posted there 24/7.

btw, it's kind of silly to be arguing in the weeds about something like this (on either side).  The Government shut itself down and the Government is picking what is essential.

Both party's are 100% responsible for the shutdown.  The environment is so Toxic in Washington that neither party will negotiate with the other.  Neither will compromise with anything and they both expect the other side to bend completely.

The ACA was passed with not a single republican vote, so it's ridiculous to expect anything other than the Republicans to try and stop it in any way they can.  To say "it's the law of the land" they have to support it is just wishful thinking.

What if the Republicans take over everything in 2016 and ram through some politically ideological law that 100% of Dems oppose.  I'm guessing you would hope and expect the Democrats to block it in every way possible and they would.

Either way, the system is jacked.

#throwthebumsout

2013-10-07 10:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by pga_mike

NPS ~ 24,000 Employees
NPS Furloughs ~ 22,000

Try to run a company with 90% of the workforce laid off. That is what happened to the NPS. They can't even keep the garbage cans from overflowing on the DC Mall. You want trash all over the Lincoln Memorial? What do you think it would look like after a week.

AND...
the Lincoln Memorial had green paint thrown on it less than a month ago overnight. The response from the public was outrage at the NPS for not having a guard posted there 24/7.

If the park rangers are nothing more that overpaid trash haulers then remove the trash cans. Perhaps if American don't have enough respect for the Lincoln Memorial to leave it better than you found it then perhaps we should just close it for good.

Edited by Jackemy1 2013-10-07 10:48 AM
2013-10-07 3:53 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by pga_mike NPS ~ 24,000 Employees NPS Furloughs ~ 22,000 Try to run a company with 90% of the workforce laid off. That is what happened to the NPS. They can't even keep the garbage cans from overflowing on the DC Mall. You want trash all over the Lincoln Memorial? What do you think it would look like after a week. AND... the Lincoln Memorial had green paint thrown on it less than a month ago overnight. The response from the public was outrage at the NPS for not having a guard posted there 24/7.

btw, it's kind of silly to be arguing in the weeds about something like this (on either side).  The Government shut itself down and the Government is picking what is essential.

Both party's are 100% responsible for the shutdown.  The environment is so Toxic in Washington that neither party will negotiate with the other.  Neither will compromise with anything and they both expect the other side to bend completely.

The ACA was passed with not a single republican vote, so it's ridiculous to expect anything other than the Republicans to try and stop it in any way they can.  To say "it's the law of the land" they have to support it is just wishful thinking.

What if the Republicans take over everything in 2016 and ram through some politically ideological law that 100% of Dems oppose.  I'm guessing you would hope and expect the Democrats to block it in every way possible and they would.

#throwthebumsout

Actually, I'd expect them to let the legislative process operate as it was intended to operate. It is a representative democracy. Let it go to vote. If (when?) it proves to be a loser, new representatives will be elected, and then THAT legislative body can make changes. Blocking the vote is not what I would expect of anyone who cares about America!

(Note: I thought that someone from the floor could call for a vote at any time.)

2013-10-07 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

#throwthebumsout

Actually, I'd expect them to let the legislative process operate as it was intended to operate. It is a representative democracy. Let it go to vote. If (when?) it proves to be a loser, new representatives will be elected, and then THAT legislative body can make changes. Blocking the vote is not what I would expect of anyone who cares about America!

(Note: I thought that someone from the floor could call for a vote at any time.)

While I disagree with the current Republican course of action, is it really any different than politics as usual?

The ACA needed the Democratic Massachussets State Legislature to grant the Democratic Governor to appoint a interim Senator for Ted Kennedy in order for the bill to be passed with an unprecedented use of reconciliation.

Is that the way that the legislative process is meant to operate?
2013-10-07 4:40 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by uclamatt2007

#throwthebumsout

Actually, I'd expect them to let the legislative process operate as it was intended to operate. It is a representative democracy. Let it go to vote. If (when?) it proves to be a loser, new representatives will be elected, and then THAT legislative body can make changes. Blocking the vote is not what I would expect of anyone who cares about America! (Note: I thought that someone from the floor could call for a vote at any time.)
While I disagree with the current Republican course of action, is it really any different than politics as usual? The ACA needed the Democratic Massachussets State Legislature to grant the Democratic Governor to appoint a interim Senator for Ted Kennedy in order for the bill to be passed with an unprecedented use of reconciliation. Is that the way that the legislative process is meant to operate?

When it supports your agenda, Yes
When it doesn't support your agenda, No 

2013-10-08 7:40 AM

User image

#throwthebumsout

The representative democracy has operated as intended. It was very clear that the American public didn't trust the Democrats with the both chambers of Congress and the Executive branch by giving the Republicans the House in 2010 and again in 2012.
2013-10-08 9:44 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Jackemy1

#throwthebumsout

The representative democracy has operated as intended. It was very clear that the American public didn't trust the Democrats with the both chambers of Congress and the Executive branch by giving the Republicans the House in 2010 and again in 2012.

Though democratic reps did get 80k more votes nation wide than republicans did.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/us/politics/redistricting-helped-...
2013-10-08 10:38 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

#throwthebumsout

Though democratic reps did get 80k more votes nation wide than republicans did.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/us/politics/redistricting-helped-...

Obama won the popular vote by 5 million voters. So if your number is right (or it was 1 million votes like the article said) That is an incredibly huge crossover of the electorate that voted Democrat on the top of the ticket and then switched down ticket to vote for a Republican.

In my experience with campaigning people almost always vote straight ticket from the top down (all D or all R) unless there is a compelling reason not to do so. In this case the reason is Americans were generally happy with Obama and the Democrats but don't trust them with all the power.

2013-10-08 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Dems also gained 8 seats and went from 44% to 48% of the total vote. To me it was more a shift to the Dems.

I would agree people naturally do not want 1 side to have all the power at least not for very long. I know less overall power 1 person has the better. Absolute power breeds absolute corruption.
2013-10-08 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Jackemy1 Obama won the popular vote by 5 million voters. So if your number is right (or it was 1 million votes like the article said) That is an incredibly huge crossover of the electorate that voted Democrat on the top of the ticket and then switched down ticket to vote for a Republican. In my experience with campaigning people almost always vote straight ticket from the top down (all D or all R) unless there is a compelling reason not to do so. In this case the reason is Americans were generally happy with Obama and the Democrats but don't trust them with all the power.

That may be some of it, but I would guess a bigger factor is lazy people that voted for president and didn't bother casting any other votes.  There were a total of 129 million votes for president.  I'd be willing to bet the total number of votes in the combined House elections was quite a bit lower.

Edited by kevin_trapp 2013-10-08 11:39 AM
2013-10-08 11:44 AM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
your right its 118.7 honestly that is probably good. maybe they are lazy or maybe they are uninformed and they know it. If you do not know then do not vote.
2013-10-08 12:17 PM

User image

Originally posted by kevin_trapp

Originally posted by Jackemy1 Obama won the popular vote by 5 million voters. So if your number is right (or it was 1 million votes like the article said) That is an incredibly huge crossover of the electorate that voted Democrat on the top of the ticket and then switched down ticket to vote for a Republican. In my experience with campaigning people almost always vote straight ticket from the top down (all D or all R) unless there is a compelling reason not to do so. In this case the reason is Americans were generally happy with Obama and the Democrats but don't trust them with all the power.

That may be some of it, but I would guess a bigger factor is lazy people that voted for president and didn't bother casting any other votes.  There were a total of 129 million votes for president.  I'd be willing to bet the total number of votes in the combined House elections was quite a bit lower.

Down ticket drop off does occurs but usually not in measurable amounts until the State legislature races.

Also, for your premise to hold up we have to assume that Democrats are significantly more lazier and apathetic to their civic duty than Republicans and are significantly more likely than Republican voters not to vote down ticket.
2013-10-08 12:31 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I would agree but it would have to be more said about people who voted democrat vs people who voted republican. Then again also does not count for independents who voted. Perhaps its 5 million to Romney 2.4 million for independence.

Also occurs to me that unopposed candidates also skew the numbers. I am too lazy to look at each race to figure out those numbers.

2013-10-08 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Down ticket drop off does occurs but usually not in measurable amounts until the State legislature races. Also, for your premise to hold up we have to assume that Democrats are significantly more lazier and apathetic to their civic duty than Republicans and are significantly more likely than Republican voters not to vote down ticket.
If chirunner's numbers are correct, then it was 8% that voted for president but not for a house representative. I would consider that a measurable amount. You can assume what you like about what it means.
2013-10-08 2:24 PM

User image

Down ticket drop off does occurs but usually not in measurable amounts until the State legislature races. Also, for your premise to hold up we have to assume that Democrats are significantly more lazier and apathetic to their civic duty than Republicans and are significantly more likely than Republican voters not to vote down ticket.
If chirunner's numbers are correct, then it was 8% that voted for president but not for a house representative. I would consider that a measurable amount. You can assume what you like about what it means.

Purely anecdotal, but in my case, and I'm sure as was the case in many other very red congressional districts, there was no opponent to the sitting congressman.  

2013-10-08 2:48 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Somehow there was money to open the DC Mall for a pro- illegal immigrant amnesty rally today.

But there's no money to pay trash collectors to keep the World War II Memorial open for Honor Flights comprised of elderly veterans who will likely never have another chance to visit it.

Priorities, you know.

2013-10-08 3:18 PM

User image

Let's say is is an 8% drop in down ticket votes equally distributed between those that voted for Romney and Obama. That would mean that the Democrats should have had 4.5 million more votes for House than the GOP. Again, unless we are making certain negative assumptions on the voting patterns on the liberal side of the electorate I don't agree with your thoughts that the House is control by the GOP because of voter laziness.

Edited by Jackemy1 2013-10-08 3:22 PM
2013-10-08 3:20 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Originally posted by RussTKD

Purely anecdotal, but in my case, and I'm sure as was the case in many other very red congressional districts, there was no opponent to the sitting congressman.  

There was also low turnout in redder district. Romney's machine had a tough time getting the base out to vote.

2013-10-09 7:56 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I been getting my data from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2...

For president

58.2% (voting eligible) voted.

obama got around 29.7 precent of the total eligible vote. Romney could gotten his group out event if he could only gotten 47.2% of total vote he could have easily win. I guess we knew this already.

2013-10-09 9:17 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

I been getting my data from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2...

For president

58.2% (voting eligible) voted.

obama got around 29.7 precent of the total eligible vote. Romney could gotten his group out event if he could only gotten 47.2% of total vote he could have easily win. I guess we knew this already.

Imagine how screwed up this country would be if the other 42.8% voted.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » The ACA has revealed ignorance about... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The ACA started with "Conservatives"?

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1738 Posts: 11

2013-10-04 1:26 PM kevin_trapp

ACA could effectively give you a weeks paid vacation!

Started by uclamatt2007
Views: 977 Posts: 3

2013-10-02 7:52 AM Sous

ACA fun begins on Oct 1 (mines beginning already) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tuwood
Views: 9287 Posts: 90

2013-11-10 7:50 AM NXS

ACA Employer Mandate Pushed to 2015

Started by Aarondb4
Views: 1307 Posts: 4

2013-07-08 9:20 AM tuwood