General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Happy marriage vs. Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-11-10 9:31 PM
in reply to: jaydiver

Subject: RE: Happy marriage vs. Triathlon
My wife likes the idea of me working out and being a triathlete, but she gets very upset very early in the training season.

She told me to just train right after work, but then i end up missing dinner time/family time.
Consequently, I do a fair share of training in the evening, when it should be "our time" after the kids go to sleep.
This is upsetting to her because (speculation) she doesn't think this is normal behavior. She thinks I'm "training" with another woman.
So I do a good number of runs/rides/OW swims late in the evening with a bad mental state after arguing. And I haven't even started HIM training yet.
I've skipped workouts to be home with her, and the thing i've got to learn is to keep my frustration about it to myself. DON'T mope around the house.

Our local pool has family hours right after lap swim so they come down and meet me and we have a nice afternoon.

I try to go to every single event my kids have. I usually miss more kid stuff due to working than training.
I try to be the one who suggests family time activities.

As mentioned, communication about goals, expectations, time commitments, etc. can help alleviate some friction.

2013-11-11 5:20 AM
in reply to: jaydiver

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Since you're already scheduling your training, sit down with your wife and go through the training plan to get her input as to how you can find 10 hrs (or what ever you plan is) per week, what times works the best for the entire family and then add family time to your training calendar. Take one day a week completely off, it'll do you good and allows for a full day with undivided family time. It's doable if all your time is accounted for, so forget any kind of other hobbies or social life for now. Long distance training is very tough on the family, but also tough on your friends (unless they're triathletes, then they'll love you for it!).

What it comes down to is a series of compromises and constant communication.

I'm extremely fortunate, my wife is a long distance triathlete, and we have no kids, so the time we have is completely ours to utilize how we see fit. We do plan our weeks together though, which allows us to find time for a social life as well (although, in all honesty, most of our friends are athletes as well)

2013-11-11 6:24 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Originally posted by Kido

Originally posted by pschriver But always keep in mind that IronMan training has ended more than 1 marriage.

I would respectfully disagree.  I don't think Ironman has ended a SINGLE marriage.

Lack of communication, compromise, support, or understanding ended the marriage.

Couldn't agree more. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Happy marriage vs. Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

New vs used, local vs online, rent vs buy - Wetsuits for Southerners with limited funds

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 1274 Posts: 5

2011-09-30 5:21 PM MacMadame

WSJ Article: "A Workout Ate My Marriage" Pages: 1 2

Started by merlin2375
Views: 5379 Posts: 45

2011-02-01 7:21 PM Marvarnett

HR Training vs distance vs time vs...

Started by fester808
Views: 1607 Posts: 9

2009-04-15 1:29 PM fester808

Giant vs Felt vs QR vs Cervelo Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Newbie5317
Views: 7166 Posts: 65

2008-02-21 12:04 PM karhooligan

PowerTap vs Ergomo vs Computrainer vs ?

Started by TypeA Girl Pilot
Views: 1836 Posts: 18

2006-11-15 4:39 PM AusVirgin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : September 2, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Discussion on rest and on being happy with your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.