General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer road suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-08 6:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Trainer road suggestions
About 2 weeks ago I took the advice of many on this board and signed up for trainer road. I started with the 8 minute interval test and feel like I have a pretty good baseline for my numbers. Now I need some advice on what workouts to use. I looked through the website and almost all of the "most popular" workouts are sufferfest videos. I do plan on purchasing some of the videos in the future but as a federal employee who is "working for free" at this point I am going to have to wait on those. I also looked through some of the training plans but at this point most of them seemed like greek for the triathlon focused athlete.

Any suggestions?

2013-10-08 7:36 AM
in reply to: clemson05

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-08 8:04 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Trainer road suggestions

What are your goals, current bike fitness level, and time available to ride on the trainer? 

I haven't used any of their plans (though I would consider one of the 40k TT plans in the future) because they didn't really seem to target what I was looking for.  I ride the trainer a couple days a week in the morning, and have no more than maybe 75 minutes (typically keep it to 60).

When I was training for a 70.3 earlier this year, I was doing a lot of threshold riding.  I also know that my VO2max is weak in comparison to my FTP, so I'm now starting a bit of a VO2max focus.  So when I decide what kind of ride I want to do, I search by time and what I want to focus on, and then sort by TSS and choose one that seems feasible given my current fatigue level.

2013-10-08 9:05 AM

Regular
SF Bay area
I don't have a lot of experience here, but like you, started on TR not too long ago.  Decided to start out by following the Intermediate Base I as I wanted to get to know TR better and I had read many postings saying that some of the workouts can be pretty aggressive. It's also the offseason for me, so had the freedom to back off if I felt like it, but didn't find Int. base I to be a backing off at all.  Like you, did the intitial FTP test (211w) which set the bar for future workouts.  Finished Base I a couple of weeks ago and did the FTP test again and had increased by about 13% to 238.  So at least for me, I saw some good gains using the base training program and would suggest it as a good starting point.
2013-10-08 9:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Depends on your goals of course, but rather generically we all can benefit from raising our FTP. I've found the 20 minute power accelerator plan from E3 (Jorge) to be quite effective, and not based on the Sufferfest line.
Also, for what it's worth, just because you don't have the videos doesn't mean you can't do the workouts! Just throw on some tunes and crank it out, it will hurt just as much, I promise.
2013-10-08 10:32 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by fisherman76 Depends on your goals of course, but rather generically we all can benefit from raising our FTP. I've found the 20 minute power accelerator plan from E3 (Jorge) to be quite effective, and not based on the Sufferfest line. Also, for what it's worth, just because you don't have the videos doesn't mean you can't do the workouts! Just throw on some tunes and crank it out, it will hurt just as much, I promise.

Agreed.

X2 on the Jorge power accelerator plan, and it maxes out at an hour-ish per day.  You can always throw in something longer like "Sierra" if you're so inclined.

2013-10-08 10:35 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

Originally posted by fisherman76

Depends on your goals of course, but rather generically we all can benefit from raising our FTP. I've found the 20 minute power accelerator plan from E3 (Jorge) to be quite effective, and not based on the Sufferfest line.
Also, for what it's worth, just because you don't have the videos doesn't mean you can't do the workouts! Just throw on some tunes and crank it out, it will hurt just as much, I promise.

^^^This...the videos don't make the pain any better. I hate the rides with or without the videos and I think hope you will hate them just as much.
2013-10-08 11:01 AM
in reply to: stebaldi

Veteran
Illinois
Personally, I'm looking to the base building plans or the century plans for this winter's dungeon sessions - but my focus will be on half and full distances next year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer road suggestions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trainer Road on an Unsupported Trainer

Started by guitarfrk75
Views: 1504 Posts: 6

2013-02-21 10:34 AM reidweber

suggestions for bike trainers

Started by trimomfour
Views: 986 Posts: 5

2007-03-07 1:26 PM chirunner134

Suggestions for bike trainer workouts

Started by ovspmike
Views: 805 Posts: 3

2007-01-10 7:58 AM gsmacleod

Suggestions for bike trainer workouts

Started by kenail
Views: 621 Posts: 2

2006-01-12 3:45 PM olddskool

Indoor bike trainer around $300+/- any suggestions?

Started by sp1173
Views: 908 Posts: 8

2004-10-11 9:49 AM sp1173
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.