General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart rate strap not working after swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-08 2:02 PM

User image

New user
Central Florida
Subject: Heart rate strap not working after swim
I'm sure I am not doing something right as I know plenty of triathlete are getting heart rate data after their swim, but for some reason for my last two races I have had issues.

I have a Polar WearLink+ strap that I am pairing with a Garmin 610. During the first race, I left the Garmin HRM clipped into the strap during the swim. For the second race, I clipped a CycleOps HRM into the strap at T1. Both times, the Garmin 910 signaled HRM detected.

The Polar strap worked prior to the race, and I actually used the same strap this morning on the run. It worked just fine, so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks...Thomas

2013-10-11 6:35 AM
in reply to: Running_FF

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Heart rate strap not working after swim
Water is a horrible electrical signal transmission medium. The signal may not be detected while swimming. Try placing the receiver as close to the transmitter when swimming. Also, does it work better in fresh or salt water?
2013-10-11 11:54 AM

User image

Is it possible that the monitor is not flush with your body while in aero?  I had that issue with garmin soft strap
2013-10-11 1:55 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

New user
Central Florida
I understand since I am using Garmin, I don't get any data while swimming. That's cool, but I am not getting any data on the bike or run. Since I don't have a power meter, I race by that data. I was closer to my HR zones last race when I went by RPE, but could have been better. As such, I'm looking to fix the issue of no HR data on the bike and run.

Thanks!
2013-10-11 1:58 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

New user
Central Florida
That is what is strange. On my bricks, I am getting HR data from the strap and HRM. It has worked fine since the race. I'm going to do a couple swim/bike or swim/runs with Garmin, HRM, and strap to see if I can fix the issue. My first step will be to tighten up strap.

Thanks!
2013-10-19 5:39 AM

User image

New user
Central Florida
Thanks everyone for the help. Took the Garmin 910 and the Polar Heart Strap to the pool twice now. When I got out of the pool the first time after the swim, nothing. I took off the strap, tightened it up, and then I was able to get data for my run. Second attempt, no issues as I had heart rate data as soon as I got out of the pool onto the bike. I had a long run yesterday, threw on the heart rate strap and noticed it was significantly tighter than normal so it must be swelling a bit as it takes on water during the swim.

Thanks again!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart rate strap not working after swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Forerunner 305 Heart Rate Monitor Not Working

Started by ering305
Views: 1034 Posts: 3

2009-07-12 1:30 PM rgretsof

new heart rate monitor - to strap or not to strap

Started by nato
Views: 1508 Posts: 8

2008-03-20 10:33 AM nato

Heart rate strap ? for Garmin 305

Started by Tri3
Views: 1062 Posts: 8

2008-02-17 3:19 PM yoblondie

Timex heart rate monitor Strap reset

Started by light_sabe_r
Views: 8678 Posts: 3

2007-09-18 7:33 PM gsmacleod

Larger Chest Straps for Heart Rate Monitors (looking for recommendations)

Started by MikeB
Views: 1002 Posts: 3

2004-12-13 9:00 PM scuba-punk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : May 21, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition, hydration and pacing for the swim, bike and run of an olympic distance triathlon.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.
date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 1
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 1
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.