General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Final run before tri, how far to go?- Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-08 3:43 PM

User image

Subject: Final run before tri, how far to go?-
I am signed up for my first sprint this weekend, unfortunately I am not really ready. I injured myself in early July (was on track to do the Oly). Just got back into the swing of things in the last 3-4 weeks.

My last two runs have been 3 mi and felt good. My schedule allows for one more run (thurs) , I fly out on Fri. AM.
Should I run 3 mi or just go super easy and do 1-2?

I feel fine about the swim, I do masters and while I am not at peak performance,I am not racing just going with a group for fun. The bike will be a bit if a challenge just because I have not spent much time on mine, but it should be a flat easy ride. I am mostly worried about having the legs to run my 3mi on Sunday after everything else.
So thoughts on how far to go on my final run of the week?

Edited by dace 2013-10-08 3:47 PM

2013-10-08 4:26 PM
in reply to: dace

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Final run before tri, how far to go?-
Is your race Saturday or Sunday? I say run the 3 as the plan states, especially if the race is on Sunday. Also remember that sleep is sometimes difficult for many the night before the race so two nights before, try to get some good sleep. Other than that, have fun, sounds like you're in good shape to hammer out a sprint.
2013-10-08 5:17 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Great, will do.

Thanks for the advice :-)
2013-10-08 6:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

there is no amount of additional fitness that you can add between now and race day (adaptation takes much longer).  Do a light, easy run of 1-2 miles as you suggested- just to keep the blood flowing.  Your plan may say 3mi, but if you didn't do the prior training of the plan due to injury, then the 3mi will be too much.  

You'll do fine at the tri.  You're not worried about making the distance, just enjoying the race.  sounds like your swim is not an issue.  As for the bike- start out the ride a bit on the easier side, then see how you feel.  Better to leave yourself with plenty of leg left for the run so you can enjoy the finish, than to leave it out there on the bike leg.

mostly- have fun.  you're not a pro, so there's no pressure to win.  Just to 1.  have fun.  2.  do your best.  

if you want to improve your time, best thing to do between now and race day is to practice your transitions.  

Edited by morey000 2013-10-08 6:19 PM
2013-10-08 6:19 PM

User image

Champion
MA

If you have been fighting injuries and are undertrained, I wouldn't do 3 miles unless that is super easy I do it all the time which from your post I don't think that is.

If you have been fighting injuries and undertrained, I'd suggest doing something like walk 15' then run 10-15' max then walk for cool down.

Last week before a race, you will not gain any fitness but you could fatigue yourself and get to starting line in less than ideal place.

Have fun racing.

2013-10-08 6:23 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Sensei
Sin City

As far as you can go in 20 minutes at a very easy/jog pace.  So for me?  2 miles tops.  That's the same for an IM or a sprint.  FOR ME.

I assume this is your taper week.  If you are further out than a week?  Do the three or what the plan calls for.

2013-10-08 9:40 PM

User image

Thank you for all of the feedback and different opinions.

I was thinking it was probably best to just go nice and easy on my final run but because it is 4 days before the race, I just wasn't sure if I should do mi or less.

To be clear I am not injury prone but I had a bout of plantar fasciitis. I got new shoes with orthotics and am no longer having those issues. Aside from that one and only injury I am in pretty good shape, endurance is certainly not peak as I took a couple months off. however I certainly do not expect to have trouble completing the sprint.

Since it is my first, even though I am not in peak shape, it will still be a PB....LOL! I plan to just go in and have a blast :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Final run before tri, how far to go?- Rss Feed