General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I build to a 50mi in 20weeks? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-08 6:52 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Can I build to a 50mi in 20weeks?

Me:  I'm a perpetually injured runner- mostly because I break all the 'rules' and run too much too fast.  I managed to BQ last year, but then got injured training for another marathon, was down last summer, tried to ramp up too quickly for Boston and got injured again, was down all this summer, and have been slowly bringing back my running over the past 3 months.  Now up to a comfortable 25mpw, with no real issues.  I love running.  I did manage a nice 14mi run last weekend, half on a hilly trail up 1500vert.  Went well.  I'm still in Tri mode for another few weeks as I've got an Oly scheduled for Nov 2nd, then a half mary the following week.

I'm gonna' turn 50 next year, and want to do something big and stupid.  Registration for the Old Pueblo 50 (not an easy 50mi, ~8000ft of climbing) is next week.  it's 20 weeks away.  I've never done an ultra.

Can I get there... from here?  I'm 5'7 and weigh 135lb.  So, it's not like I need to lose a lot of weight.  I live in a rural area and can train on hills and trails regularly.  If I plink down the registration fee and can't make the starting line, the lost money isn't that big of a deal.  it's the issue of having that goal out there and pushing me to rack up the miles and potentially spend another summer injured. 

thoughts?  

2013-10-09 8:53 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Can I build to a 50mi in 20weeks?

Can you do it? YES.

But reading your post, I'm not optimistic and the word "stupid" may have gone through my head. (you are not stupid, just to clarify)
My issue is your mentality which results in your injuries.

You CANNOT run ultras like you run road races and and tris. You have to throw your speed out the window. You need to run very comfortably, with the ability to eat, walk big climbs...for many, many hours.

Are you capable of that? Because with your current mentality, I think it would be a spectacular failure if you even make it to the start line healthy.

Now, don't take this as too harsh, I speak it as I've seen it. My husband is the same way (however, don't push so much that he gets injured). When wanting to do some trails it took MANY conversations of me pounding into his head to SLOW DOWN. Watch your footing, it's not about running a 7min/mi. It's about being steady when you can, not burning out by running the big climbs. Keeping in your food.

He is still fast on the trails. He ran a 5:15 50k not too long ago, on no real training. But, that is 'slow' for him compared to the road. That's the thing...you can't compare them. Apples to oranges.

So yes, I think you *can* do it, only if you drastically change your mindset.

2013-10-09 11:21 AM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Champion
Calgary
Comet has good points. If you train smart for the race then you will both be prepared for the race and not injured. Sounds to me that given your recent history some slow runs in the forest and some hiking up steep slopes may do you some good. It is really super tough to get injured running slow on trails and hiking steep slopes. And some of it is pretty good exercise.

You will be tempted to run faster, because like marathon training ultra performance does benefit from faster running. But that, of course, is just pride F*****g with you. Also, at the race, you will again feel like going hard. Maybe there are people you know there, or people who look slower but are running faster. Best case is you keep up with them, run yourself ragged, somehow dodge a major bonk, finish strong and collapse in a heap. All of which is awesome. But only slightly less awesome is going out slow, having a fun day, avoiding that clammy almost dead feeling, and hiking past people between 60 and 80 k. Really, it is almost as good. You won't regret running that way.
2013-10-09 4:21 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Comet

You CANNOT run ultras like you run road races and and tris. You have to throw your speed out the window....

yeah- good advice.  I've got a friend who's a pretty experienced ultra runner.  many 100 milers under his belt (buckles).  Same advice I got from him.  He added, that once he changed from marathon training to ultra training- and slowed down.  He didn't have the injury problems any more.  I really don't know if I'm emotionally ready for that or not. 

2013-10-09 4:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
2013-10-09 6:06 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro

Yeah- I've seen that schedule.  Firstly- I'm a few weeks behind that in my running mileage, but my aerobic engine is there from my cycling and swimming.  

But I have a question.  there's a H/E column.  i.e. hard vs easy.  not much additional information.  I presume that the weekend long runs are all easy to very easy (unlike marathon training where I would do up to 13 miles at marathon race pace, and throw in a shorter mid-week speed work.  I presume that everything is racheted down a notch or two?  

There doesn't seem to be a real consensus on ultra training.  other than spend a lot of time on your feet.

2013-10-10 6:40 AM

User image

Queen BTich
Originally posted by morey000

But I have a question.  there's a H/E column.  i.e. hard vs easy.  not much additional information.  I presume that the weekend long runs are all easy to very easy (unlike marathon training where I would do up to 13 miles at marathon race pace, and throw in a shorter mid-week speed work.  I presume that everything is racheted down a notch or two?  

There doesn't seem to be a real consensus on ultra training.  other than spend a lot of time on your feet.

I really don't know if I'm emotionally ready for that or not.

My first thought: No, you're not. I would advise you to not do it.

If you want more in depth thoughts about this:

If you want to do one, then do ONE, a hard trail 50k. Go in with NO expectations, but try it. Maybe even try it with seeing how hard you can go. (This will be sooooo fun to see, for me. Bwwahahaha) Then decide if you want to keep trying them. Just like the road running progression. People do their first marathon (especially with mentality like you), blow up, feel like poop, then decide they love it and want to do better while not feeling like death.

No matter what, you really, really have to slow down and run a comfortable pace. When you're talking about "speed" on the trails, it's a relative term. You must gain experience. Know how to navigate the terrain. If you try to speed demon this with your mentality/personality, you're going to get hurt. And we're not talking ITB or runners knee, we're talking about broken leg. There's a reason why most of the winners and fastest ultra runners are mostly middle aged men and women. It's a sport where years of experience and knowing your body pays off. That slower-and-steady will take you farther.

I'm 32. I'm MOP in most trail races. I'm not fast. I think it's because years of road racing has granted me the endurance, I'm a strong hill walker and I go slow enough that I can eat at the aid stations then run. I start out at an 'easy' pace and regularly pass people mid-to-late race. In my last marathon I didn't get passed at all after mile 15 and passed countless runners (I mostly take the same approach to road races).

Finally, I think you should really explore yourself and why you're this way (if you care). What are you trying to prove out there? You've already BQ'd. Is being fast what matters to you or challenge your body in a new way? To me, I have nothing to prove with speed and I find the challenge on the trails, where your finish is never guaranteed. I'm kind of thinking that if you want to do a 50 for your 50th...you're 50. Get over yourself. I think getting your a$$ handed to you on some trails might do you some good. Or prove me wrong. But, I'd hate for you to get hurt.

And finally, overall, this is not a trail runner personality. People don't care about times or placing. Maybe the very few 1%. For the most part, trail runners are the most laid-back runners and people don't talk about "50mile PR's." Or PR's at all. Maybe compare finish times, but there's really no such thing since every course is SO different. Unlike the road where people seek out the flat races to PR and BQ.

Just some thoughts. (honest, but not attacking you.) Things to think about if you really want to do this.

2013-10-10 11:00 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary

You CANNOT run ultras like you run road races and and tris. You have to throw your speed out the window....

yeah- good advice.  I've got a friend who's a pretty experienced ultra runner.  many 100 milers under his belt (buckles).  Same advice I got from him.  He added, that once he changed from marathon training to ultra training- and slowed down.  He didn't have the injury problems any more.  I really don't know if I'm emotionally ready for that or not. 

There is no fundamental difference between a 10k fun run and an ultra, either in the training or the even it self.

If you are training to finish then it is fundamentally no different than training for your first 10k, Go out and run as much as you can. The challenge isn't so much to go faster as it is to go further than you have, which is like a beginner 10k program which often has the racers first attempt at the 10k distance at the race itself.

If you are training to do your best at the ultra then get some threshold work in, do some intervals, do marathon pace work, do 2 a days. Attack hills, attack stairs. Worry about your iron level and finding enough time to sleep 10 hours a night. There is definitely room at ultras for those type of competitors. It is no different then any other race, business in the front and a party in the back. Everyone wants to do their best at an ultra. The main difference is that most people have only managed to train to the point were their best is finishing. Because of this very few have time goals they really care about. Of course this is all dependent on the difficulty of the course.

I think, your issue about being emotionally ready is independent of the race. Like it or not you may be done pushing your body as hard as it can go. Running an ultra is not necessarily going to provide an elixir to make you feel better about your battered and bruised body.

I know what it feels like to chase a goal and miss it, then try harder and achieve it, then want to go faster only to have your body rebel and say enough is enough. It is an attitude adjustment. It is a different type of running. It is running for a different reason. It really is just as good.
2013-10-10 12:33 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Originally posted by BigDH

There is no fundamental difference between a 10k fun run and an ultra, either in the training or the even it self.

If you are training to finish then it is fundamentally no different than training for your first 10k, Go out and run as much as you can. The challenge isn't so much to go faster as it is to go further than you have, which is like a beginner 10k program which often has the racers first attempt at the 10k distance at the race itself.

If you are training to do your best at the ultra then get some threshold work in, do some intervals, do marathon pace work, do 2 a days. Attack hills, attack stairs. Worry about your iron level and finding enough time to sleep 10 hours a night. There is definitely room at ultras for those type of competitors. It is no different then any other race, business in the front and a party in the back. Everyone wants to do their best at an ultra. The main difference is that most people have only managed to train to the point were their best is finishing. Because of this very few have time goals they really care about. Of course this is all dependent on the difficulty of the course.

I think, your issue about being emotionally ready is independent of the race. Like it or not you may be done pushing your body as hard as it can go. Running an ultra is not necessarily going to provide an elixir to make you feel better about your battered and bruised body.

I know what it feels like to chase a goal and miss it, then try harder and achieve it, then want to go faster only to have your body rebel and say enough is enough. It is an attitude adjustment. It is a different type of running. It is running for a different reason. It really is just as good.

Like my shirt reads..........................

(mullet.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
mullet.jpg (13KB - 11 downloads)
2013-10-10 1:12 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Comet ...

If you want to do one, then do ONE, a hard trail 50k. Go in with NO expectations, but try it. Maybe even try it with seeing how hard you can go. (This will be sooooo fun to see, for me. Bwwahahaha) Then decide if you want to keep trying them. Just like the road running progression. People do their first marathon (especially with mentality like you), blow up, feel like poop, then decide they love it and want to do better while not feeling like death.

er... I'm not quite as big of an idiot as you make me out to be.  My goal would be to finish (within the 15hr cutoff time), plan my training, pacing, nutrition, gear selection, hydration, electrolyte levels.  But only approach the starting line if I've done the training, with at least a few suitable 25-30+mi runs and weekly mileage in the 60-80mpw range (I've been there before).   I have no visions of running a 50mi as fast as I can.  And while I eschew Gallowalking for shorter races, I have no delusions that I'll probably be walking 25-50% of this. 

2013-10-10 1:47 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

er... I'm not quite as big of an idiot as you make me out to be.  My goal would be to finish (within the 15hr cutoff time), plan my training, pacing, nutrition, gear selection, hydration, electrolyte levels.  But only approach the starting line if I've done the training, with at least a few suitable 25-30+mi runs and weekly mileage in the 60-80mpw range (I've been there before).   I have no visions of running a 50mi as fast as I can.  And while I eschew Gallowalking for shorter races, I have no delusions that I'll probably be walking 25-50% of this. 

You wont need 60-80 mpw week for a 50 miler especially if you are just looking to finish in the time frame (15hours for a 50 is very very gracious too!) My 100 mile training plan topped out at a 84 mile week and highest besides that were a couple 70 mpw. Its better to go in undertrained then overtrained. I believe someone posted a link to a training site for a 50 miler, you can plug in your race date and put in 50 miles and it will spit it out, when I did train for my first 50 i used it as well as some from Relentless Forward Progress and created a plan that worked with my schedule. Like the others said biggest thing is to slow down and by looking at some of your latest runs that were over 10 milers they looked to be at about a 10 min mile so if you are running at a BQ pace that 10 min mile that you have been training with should be perfect for you now and you will just need to slowly add the miles so you dont injure yourself. Find a training plan and get the miles in.....doesnt matter at all how fast they are cause you really could easily walk the entire 50 miles with a 15 hour cut off

2013-10-10 1:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx

Thats how i exactly thought your first post was. I believe your looking for something different "slow paced but loooooooong distance"

Just curious that 15 hr. cut/off is that on trail? or concrete? thats <18 min/mi , if its concrete you got me thinking.

Edited by strykergt 2013-10-10 1:55 PM
2013-10-10 1:51 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Hummm, interesting. This is a very different post than your previous. I will say though you are a self-professed 'hard' runner and you're always injured. So, you do need to change that mentality. I read your logs...your legs are hurting now...

BUT,

I will say I didn't walk close to 50% of mine and I'm a run/walk fan. I definitely did walk intervals, but nowhere near 50%. My last 50mi, the first half was 5:30ish, second half 6:30ish. And that was in a blizzard. I'd say at least an hour at aid stations overall.

If you're going to walk, my biggest advice is to walk the hills. From the start. Don't go too hard and then you'll blow up. Slow (for you) and steady. And you'll get there.

I did 2 marathon distance weekends the month before my first 50m, and one 2 months prior. And that was fine for me. My weekly mileage wasn't that high. I think if you pace it comfortably for you, you'll find you're more than prepared.

As with anyone doing any sport or new long distance event, your first goal should be to finish, UNINJURED, and have a good time. Work on 'getting better' (in your case faster) on future races. Respect the distance first. Then make it your b*tch.
(see, I'm not a complete jerk either Wink  )
2013-10-10 5:01 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Originally posted by strykergt

Thats how i exactly thought your first post was. I believe your looking for something different "slow paced but loooooooong distance"

Just curious that 15 hr. cut/off is that on trail? or concrete? thats <18 min/mi , if its concrete you got me thinking.

Even on trial 15 hours is very generous Comet...Most trail 50's are 12-14 hours and they had the option for that 2 hour early start - Ive only done 4 50's and i did opt in for the extra 2 hours at JFK50 for a 14 hour limit due to the AT. I didnt need it but I wanted the comfort...they do stress that actually running the AT in the dark will add about 45-60 min on your time so only take that option if you feel you have to...I like the extra cushion on that one! St Croix was lots and lots of nasty climbs and mostly dirt road not too technical just monster climbs....pretty sure it was a 14 hour. My first was a road one out in Lovell Canyon Nevada still had some awesome climbs but that one had a 100 going on at the same time and had like a 24 hour cut off! Thats why I chose it cause coming off the knee surgery and a year of not running I had no idea if I would even be able to be on my knee that long so wanted a HUGE cushion...still was in the 12 hour mark. Anxious for JFK again next month-it was the worst of any events and longest to recover from even harder to recover then umstead 100....ended up with tendenosis of the posterior tibialis...it sucked!!!!
Pick out a 50 and go for it!!!! They are addictive to most and you wont stop there. I do it for the people I meet and I'm out there on the course long enough to meet a bunch
2013-10-10 5:22 PM
in reply to: Jungle Jenn

User image

Pro

Haley- thanks for taking the time to look at my logs (yup- everything is there, my whole life story) and the positive tone.

Jenn:  Below is the one I've got picked out.  Because it's local, not because it's a good choice as a first Ultra.  My other option (and the smarter one), is to just train for the Mt. Lemmon marathon.  It's a road marathon that climbs ~7500 ft on at a nice smooth 4-7% paved grade most of the way.  

http://www.oldpueblo50.com/

it's trail run.  they indicate 8000ft of climbing- which is pretty serious.

I might finally be mature enough to run slowly.  My real concern is that I need another 2 months to more safely build up my mileage.  I can make it in 20w, but that's only if nothing goes wrong with the drivetrain.  Not a lot of build margin in there.

2013-10-10 5:50 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Haley- thanks for taking the time to look at my logs (yup- everything is there, my whole life story) and the positive tone.

Jenn:  Below is the one I've got picked out.  Because it's local, not because it's a good choice as a first Ultra.  My other option (and the smarter one), is to just train for the Mt. Lemmon marathon.  It's a road marathon that climbs ~7500 ft on at a nice smooth 4-7% paved grade most of the way.  

I might finally be mature enough to run slowly.  My real concern is that I need another 2 months to more safely build up my mileage.  I can make it in 20w, but that's only if nothing goes wrong with the drivetrain.  Not a lot of build margin in there.

I think you're more prepared than you think and your concern about not having wiggle room is extreme. It's not that dire (again, laid back ultra attitude). I'd point out this is where you "mature" and let some of that go....
As long you focus more on 'time' and training on trails in the mtns. If you train SMART, not pushing yourself, you can make it to the start line uninjured. My mileage was very low going into mine, but I didn't push hard. You've got the base, you can do it if you start training for the trail conditions.

Thats a tough race!! Definitely difficult. I would still advise not to 'push' it and go hard on that course. See, "easier" courses with less climbing and altitude you can run faster. Courses like that, not as much.

I've always wanted to do Mt. Lemmon marathon!! It's on my 'list' of dream races! I went to the site...it's down this year. Don't know if they're doing it for 2014??

2013-10-10 5:52 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Ohhhh, if I wasn't considering a 100 or Zion in April, I'd actually come do this with you! hahaha. I'd make you stay with me and really suffer. See how the other, non-speedy-but-strong, half lives.
2013-10-10 5:56 PM

User image

Queen BTich
Are you willing to travel?

Rocky Raccoon in Feb is an EXCELLENT first timer course. 15hr time limit with no climbing. Excellent race org. Easy to fly into Houston and get to the race.

Zion100 is first week of April. I'm probably going to that for the 50k...maybe 100k.
2013-10-12 12:23 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Are you willing to travel?

Rocky Raccoon in Feb is an EXCELLENT first timer course. 15hr time limit with no climbing. Excellent race org. Easy to fly into Houston and get to the race.

Zion100 is first week of April. I'm probably going to that for the 50k...maybe 100k.

You anywhere on concrete? I'm not ready for trail. Those we have in town I know are 4 or 3 mi loops. I am going to get dizzy before my legs give out.
Anyway thanks

2013-10-13 4:52 AM

User image

Queen BTich
Originally posted by strykergt
Originally posted by CometAre you willing to travel?

You anywhere on concrete? I'm not ready for trail. Those we have in town I know are 4 or 3 mi loops. I am going to get dizzy before my legs give out.Anyway thanks
There is one in Houston in Jan. http://www.50statesmarathonclub.com/houston100.htmlThereis one in Nashville this month. http://www.nashvilleultra.com/Thereare also several on old rails-to-trail lines. Those are nice. Like "PrairieSpirit 50/100" in KS in March. Soft crushed gravel (no big rocks), completely flat out--and-back. I loved it. Just almost a marathon out, the run back! There aren't too many. Running on the road that long hurts. Way more than trails and overall, much ire boring. You also won't find many that aren't on closed loops like a park. There are even some on flat, crushed gravel 1-mi loops. And yes, it's much mental than physical. Since you'll get "dizzy" and aren't ready for trails, maybe stick to marathons on the road, or start trying short trail races? Trail ultras aren't for everyone.
2013-10-13 8:03 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
My first 50 miler was in lovell canyon NV right outside Las Vegas...its all road and its out 12.5 back 12.5 out and back again for the 50 there is also a 100 at the same time as well as shorter distances. The company is called Calico Racing and does a great job!

2013-10-13 9:08 PM
in reply to: Jungle Jenn

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jungle Jenn My first 50 miler was in lovell canyon NV right outside Las Vegas...its all road and its out 12.5 back 12.5 out and back again for the 50 there is also a 100 at the same time as well as shorter distances. The company is called Calico Racing and does a great job!

Heck- that seems almost 'easy'.  

FWIW- I had a great 15mi run this morning.  2/3'ds of it on the dirt, with 2000ft of climbing.  Knee was fine.  achilles- a little sore.

That's my longest in a while.  Feel good.  (fatigued, but good)

2013-10-14 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4873449

User image

GARYVILLE, Louisiana
Here's a good road one. Need to be self-sufficient though. If I didn't have a big race2 weeks after this, I'd be there.
http://runitfast.com/black-diamond-40-mile-ultramarathon/
2013-10-14 5:35 PM
in reply to: outcast

User image

Queen BTich

Originally posted by outcast Here's a good road one. Need to be self-sufficient though. If I didn't have a big race2 weeks after this, I'd be there. http://runitfast.com/black-diamond-40-mile-ultramarathon/

You don't have a big race 2 weeks after this. Why can't you do it?! I'm there!

2014-01-02 2:17 PM

User image

Pro

Status update:  12 weeks into that 20 week endeavor

Training build has been going well.  I've built carefully to over 50mpw and over 8hrs of running/wk. (the dip in the middle of the miles below was for two races, an Oly tri and a HM- so that was really my last race pace stuff)  Being sensitive to my injuries and taking rest days as necessary.  Logged 227 running miles in December, quite a bit of it on trails and with a LOT of vertical.  Feeling pretty good about that.  I read "Relentless Forward Progress" cover to cover, bought some Salomon trail shoes, a Suunto Ambit2 watch with a long battery life and that will do navigation, and a Nathan hydration pack that holds 70oz.  No speed work at all, but have added intensity during long climbs- just to keep my LT up there.  8-1/2 weeks to go to race day.  Granted, anything can happen in that amount of time, but so far, I'm on track.  Joined up with two different local trail running groups that do long mountain runs on the weekends- with a great food spread afterwards and wonderful camaraderie. 

the next 5 weeks are going to be tough ones (before a 3 week taper).  I don't have a set plan that I follow, but rather, a general outline of what I want to do, and modify it based on how I feel.  I may back down from 6 days a week running to 5 at this point, as I increase the length of my long and middle distance runs, and replace some of the recovery runs with swim and cross training.  I feel ready for a 22mi+ trail run this weekend, and then get in another two in the 25 and perhaps close to 30mi range over the next 5 weeks, with some semi-long runs on the following day if my body allows.  At 50 years old- I'm finding that I recovery pretty slowly.  Better to max out at 55-60mpw and show up at the starting line uninjured, than run 80mpw and not make to to the starting line.  We'll see.

I've fallen 4 times while running rocky trails- but so far, no serious injury.  (guess I'm good at the falling thing )  Clearly- there's a certain amount of risk that goes with this sport.  

;-)

(training.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
training.JPG (31KB - 9 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I build to a 50mi in 20weeks? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

So I did a 50k, can I do 50mi

Started by Rover24
Views: 897 Posts: 2

2013-01-06 8:14 PM LittleCat

Back to Back long runs while building?

Started by LSU25
Views: 2340 Posts: 4

2011-01-28 10:09 AM njk123

Winter 50k or 50mi

Started by Beej
Views: 1946 Posts: 4

2010-09-30 1:44 PM Venomized
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : April 20, 2009
author : FitWerx
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?
date : December 22, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, the focus will be on building your aerobic base while improving or maintaining stroke technique.

date : October 22, 2008
author : Curt Chesney
What training do you do during your off season? Any advice on what to aim for? Should I focus on building a better base?
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
This part of the program is the conditioning phase using several bodyweight exercises including pushups, pullups, dips, squats and situps.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.