Other Resources My Cup of Joe » iOS7 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-09 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: iOS7
How's everyone liking it?  I'm trying to make a mental list of the "improvements" that I truly like in this upgrade, but I'm having some difficulty.  I am looking at my fellow BT'ers to cheer me up and point out all the positives of this new platform!

2013-10-09 8:54 AM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: iOS7

I haven't updated. My friends/family are about 50/50 on if they like it or are going to switch back to the old OS. One of the 12-year-olds I hang with (and they are typically super adaptive) is going to switch back.

I've asked them the same question and the #1 "improvement" I hear is the swipe you can do from the bottom of the screen in locked mode that will give you access to calculator, flashlight, etc. without unlocking the phone.

2013-10-09 9:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Absolutely hated it the first two days. Then I read up on all the customizations, spent a couple hours making changes, and now think it's a big improvement on OS 6.

The first thing to do is change the default background. It makes the new icons look like they were drawn by a third grader. You need something that is darker, and doesn't clash with the pastel palette that Apple chose to use. I've got a picture of a lake and trees I took during a rainstorm that works really well. Greys and simple patterns also work well.

Then you can start turning off location services that you don't need, background updates, and everything else that drains the battery. Lots of good tips online for this.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-10-09 9:53 AM
2013-10-09 9:56 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Absolutely hated it the first two days. Then I read up on all the customizations, spent a couple hours making changes, and now think it's a big improvement on OS 6.

The first thing to do is change the default background. It makes the new icons look like they were drawn by a third grader. You need something that is darker, and doesn't clash with the pastel palette that Apple chose to use. I've got a picture of a lake and trees I took during a rainstorm that works really well. Greys and simple patterns also work well.

Then you can start turning off location services that you don't need, background updates, and everything else that drains the battery. Lots of good tips online for this.

I have an Iphone 4, and haven't upgraded to iOS7 and I don't think I ever will for that phone.  I'm also due for an upgrade, and I think the bold is one of the bigger drivers for me going with an Android instead of an Iphone5.  iOS7 just looks kind of kiddie to me.  I don't need or want bright colors and bubbly font.

Besides, when Google takes over the world I'd rather have a droid handy.

2013-10-09 10:07 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

I switched over the 2nd day it was available. 

I absolutely HATED it on day one, but that was mainly because the update automatically changed the sound of the alarm and I no longer had my beloved Marimba tone to wake up to!  Oh the horror!  Thankfully it's an easy fix by changing the settings of each alarm you have set, and besides changing that, the first thing I did was switch so that the icons don't have that 3-D effect going on.  Not only does it drain the battery faster, but I also just didn't like the look.  All in all, it's really not that much of a change, more of a face-lift. 

2013-10-09 10:18 AM

There are a couple of things I like (the swipe up from lock is nice) but I don't really like the look at all. It is way too light feeling for my taste.

2013-10-09 10:20 AM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
I don't like it all and dont' feel the updates, at least visually, are of any particular benefit. Wish I could get the old version back.
2013-10-09 10:34 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Not gonna do it.
2013-10-09 10:42 AM
in reply to: SWFLFATGUY

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Took me a little while to get over the stupid look of the icons and screens in the built in apps, not sure what they were thinking with the "look" but it is not a winner in my book. 

That said I do like the features. My wife and I both have iPhones so we got to try it on one before we committed on both (sorry Lisa but once you go to 7 there is no going back). 

My phone was previously jailbroken, I did the jailbreak so I could tether and so I could turn the wifi on and off without 18 key strokes. The update essentially stole one of the most popular jailbreak tweaks and turned it into the swipe up from the bottom deal. Also the new mulit tasking with the mini screens is straight out of a jailbreak tweak I had before 7. Essentially this update did everything I had to tweak my phone to do aside from the tethering. 

Here is a list for the OP.

1. Swipe up from bottom.

2. lock screen picture fills the whole screen now. Not a huge deal but it is better IMO.

3. Swipe up and down on lock screen.

4. "Contact" button is always on the top of your text convo now. Before you had to scroll all the way up to get that button to call the person.

5. Ability to create folders for your pictures instead of having 1,000 pictures to scroll through to find the one you want. Also they are now automatically sectioned by date and place you took the pic. Kinda cool to be able to look at collections based on date and place.

6. Better editing options for the camera.

7. You can set your apps to automatically update from the appstore now instead of being presented with red icons. I don't like the red icons, I feel compelled to clear them, this takes care of some of those for you. 

8. Multi tasking is much much better now.

9. Safari now has unlimited pages instead of the 8 you had before. 

10. You can now swipe left on an email and get a bunch of options on what to do with it, whereas before you had to open the email to get those options.

11. The maps app is now shown on the lock screen when it is giving you turn by turn so you can just glance at the phone instead of swiping to open to see what is next. This would be much better if the apple maps app was actually worth using, but if they ever get it anywhere near google maps it will be a nice feature. 

12. Siri is more helpful than before.

13. You can fit more icons in a folder now.

14. Some of the visual changes are appealing such as the way the icons float to their positions when you unlock the phone, pretty minor but is a nice look. 

Etc.

I made this list for me as well, hadn't really quantified the changes for myself. Yes the icons and native screens look stupid, but IMO the new features make it worth the update. I am holding out hope that they will update the look given all the negative feedback on the icons and such. But for my $.02 I would not avoid updating based on the look, you eventually get over that and the features make the phone better and easier to use.

But as I said before, don't update thinking you can go back if you don't like it. Once you update you are stuck with it. 

2013-10-09 10:43 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Here's the latest on iOS7 and people possibly experiencing dizziness or vertigo while using the an iPhone or iPad with that OS:
https://www.google.com/#q=iOS7+vertigo

2013-10-09 11:54 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Took me a little while to get over the stupid look of the icons and screens in the built in apps, not sure what they were thinking with the "look" but it is not a winner in my book. 

That said I do like the features. My wife and I both have iPhones so we got to try it on one before we committed on both (sorry Lisa but once you go to 7 there is no going back). 

My phone was previously jailbroken, I did the jailbreak so I could tether and so I could turn the wifi on and off without 18 key strokes. The update essentially stole one of the most popular jailbreak tweaks and turned it into the swipe up from the bottom deal. Also the new mulit tasking with the mini screens is straight out of a jailbreak tweak I had before 7. Essentially this update did everything I had to tweak my phone to do aside from the tethering. 

Here is a list for the OP.

1. Swipe up from bottom.

2. lock screen picture fills the whole screen now. Not a huge deal but it is better IMO.

3. Swipe up and down on lock screen.

4. "Contact" button is always on the top of your text convo now. Before you had to scroll all the way up to get that button to call the person.

5. Ability to create folders for your pictures instead of having 1,000 pictures to scroll through to find the one you want. Also they are now automatically sectioned by date and place you took the pic. Kinda cool to be able to look at collections based on date and place.

6. Better editing options for the camera.

7. You can set your apps to automatically update from the appstore now instead of being presented with red icons. I don't like the red icons, I feel compelled to clear them, this takes care of some of those for you. 

8. Multi tasking is much much better now.

9. Safari now has unlimited pages instead of the 8 you had before. 

10. You can now swipe left on an email and get a bunch of options on what to do with it, whereas before you had to open the email to get those options.

11. The maps app is now shown on the lock screen when it is giving you turn by turn so you can just glance at the phone instead of swiping to open to see what is next. This would be much better if the apple maps app was actually worth using, but if they ever get it anywhere near google maps it will be a nice feature. 

13. You can fit more icons in a folder now.

14. Some of the visual changes are appealing such as the way the icons float to their positions when you unlock the phone, pretty minor but is a nice look. 

Etc.

I made this list for me as well, hadn't really quantified the changes for myself. Yes the icons and native screens look stupid, but IMO the new features make it worth the update. I am holding out hope that they will update the look given all the negative feedback on the icons and such. But for my $.02 I would not avoid updating based on the look, you eventually get over that and the features make the phone better and easier to use.

But as I said before, don't update thinking you can go back if you don't like it. Once you update you are stuck with it. 

Thanks for this list. I hadn't realized they changed some of these items. Some of them look very helpful. I might upgrade now.

2013-10-09 2:01 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by lisac957

I haven't updated. My friends/family are about 50/50 on if they like it or are going to switch back to the old OS. One of the 12-year-olds I hang with (and they are typically super adaptive) is going to switch back.

I've asked them the same question and the #1 "improvement" I hear is the swipe you can do from the bottom of the screen in locked mode that will give you access to calculator, flashlight, etc. without unlocking the phone.

If you do, PLEASE backup all your stuff.  I updated two weeks or so ago and my phone somehow went into restore mode.  I hadn't backed up to the cloud for several months and I lost all that data.  My dumb arse fault for not doing something as simple as backing up, but I just didn't expect that something as simple as clicking "okay" to an update would result in a wiped clean phone.  The Sprint store told me this was happening to lots of people, not just me.

2013-10-09 2:09 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My co-worker tells me the opposite on this one. For some reason his Siri won't do basic functions like she used to. Maybe just him.

Aahh I am reading now that it's out of beta that you can't go back to 6... I should probably get with the times.

2013-10-09 2:23 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Anecdotally it also seems to matter what iPhone you're on.  I know that 4 people have struggled the most with battery draining issues (so I am told).  I have a 4S and there appears to be almost no difference.  I am not seeing the weird shifting things, even though I have it turned on.  It seems like the changes mostly are enhancements for 5s. 
2013-10-09 2:45 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

I have an Iphone 4, and haven't upgraded to iOS7 and I don't think I ever will for that phone.  I'm also due for an upgrade, and I think the bold is one of the bigger drivers for me going with an Android instead of an Iphone5.  iOS7 just looks kind of kiddie to me.  I don't need or want bright colors and bubbly font.

Besides, when Google takes over the world I'd rather have a droid handy.

X2 - my wife upgraded her 4 and the new icons are horrible, along with text format and a few other things.  She absolutely hates it and fortunately I saw hers before I hit the upgrade button.   Downside is my phone kind of sucks now on the performance side.

2013-10-09 6:52 PM

User image

Pro

I like it.

1.  pretty new design.  it was time.

2.  swipe to delete emails is a more natural direction for your thumb

3.  camera features

4.  better multitasking

5.  more sounds.  my text messages now have a really pleasant "ding".

6.  can get rid of my old flashlight app

7.  quick access to calculator, bluetooth, wifi, etc

And then I got a new 5S.  best features:

1.  the fingerprint sensor.  So sick of typing in my 4-digit code 40 times/day.  it works amazingly well and I presume, far more secure.

2.  I'm coming from a 4, so the Verizon 4G LTE speed is outstanding.  I'm pulling 14Mbps.

3.  everything just opens and operates faster on the new 5S.  A real pleasure to use.  You're never waiting for anything.

4.  the new camera.  Pretty amazing what it can do. I'm having a great time with the slo motion video.  the 10fps camera is amazing for any kind of action shot.  It's fast, seamless to use (you just hold down the shutter button), and there's no delay afterwards for storage.  the processing throughput on this machine is unreal.  My Nikon DSLR isn't as good (in this regard)

I've got small hands.  i don't want anything any bigger.  the Galaxy S4 just isn't for me.  

It has been a flawless product so far.  

2013-10-09 8:52 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Is this a good place to mention how awesome my new Moto X phone is?  ;-)
2013-10-10 7:19 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Originally posted by tuwood Is this a good place to mention how awesome my new Moto X phone is?  ;-)

Sure...why not. 

I like all the positiveness out there including some people mentioning some of their likes that are definitely dislikes for me.  I'm sure I'll get used to everything eventually because I'm pretty good at adapting to whatever is thrown my way (usually after some complaining first).  I guess the thing that's frustrating is that I'm not seeing much in the way of improving my experience or speed in using the iphone.  The one thing I do seem to notice with this update and every other update they provide, is that my battery seems to drain faster (even after doing recommended battery saving techniques).  I've never been a big fan of that enhancement!

2013-10-10 8:31 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Saint Paul, MN
I am currently using an iPhone 4. From what I have read, iOS7 really bogs it down so I haven't upgraded. It is showing it's age in other ways, so I am looking to upgrade to a 5s soon anyway.
2013-10-10 10:06 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by tuwood Is this a good place to mention how awesome my new Moto X phone is?  ;-)

Haha was wondering who was going to stand up and shout the obligatory "Android rules, iPhone drools" motto.

Way to take one for the team Tony. 

Now go away.

2013-10-10 1:38 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Originally posted by jlruhnkeI am currently using an iPhone 4. From what I have read, iOS7 really bogs it down so I haven't upgraded. It is showing it's age in other ways, so I am looking to upgrade to a 5s soon anyway.
iPhone6 to be released in Q2 14 if you can wait. Bigger screen (4.7" to 5.7"' maybe both) promised.

2013-10-10 2:12 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Haha was wondering who was going to stand up and shout the obligatory "Android rules, iPhone drools" motto.

Way to take one for the team Tony. 

Now go away.

Exit, stage left.... Even...

2013-10-10 3:14 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I upgraded on day two and I still hate iOS7. Nearly everything about it grates on my nerves, especially the new bubble-like look of the icons.

BUT...there is a level. I haven't figured out when or where I would possibly use a level on my phone, but I've spent way too much time playing with it.
2013-10-10 3:41 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
A level?  Ironically I never saw a level and now even after knowing about it, I still can't find it.  After looking online, I see it is located in a most counter-intuitive area - the compass.  Really?  Ok.  I guess that sums up the iOS7 functionality in a nutshell.
2013-10-10 5:02 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I've used a level app to check my bike seat more than a few times. Cool Sadly my iPod doesn't update past iOS 4.6 and I don't think any apps are available for iOS less than 5 anymore, so I can't check out this new level.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » iOS7 Rss Feed  

of 2