Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2014-01-15 4:32 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge

I've waited long enough.  I'm getting on the trainer tomorrow and in the pool Friday.  My body is getting restless with this post marathon recovery.

2014-01-15 4:38 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by msteiner

I've waited long enough.  I'm getting on the trainer tomorrow and in the pool Friday.  My body is getting restless with this post marathon recovery.

That sounds like a great idea. I usually am back doing recovery runs within a day or two. Unless I am taking specific time off between training blocks. The bike will probably feel great. 

2014-01-16 12:07 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP

So, I'm not sure if this thread is still active, or if we should come up with some new kind of challenge, or if you guys are all in a challenge (Dale's running maybe?) already, or if you're all challenged out, but I miss bantering with all of you and I don't fit into any of the current challenges, so I thought I'd stir the pot here and see what you all are up to :)

I need to work on getting back into a routine.  That is my weakness right now. 

We cam back from vacation to find that the polar vortex had burst pipes in our house and every floor had standing water.  I've been meeting with insurance people and cleaning/mitigation crews for the last two days, and it looks like we will be out of our house for a year.  We're currently in a hotel with a fitness facility, so I just have to make time to get it done.  That's usually not hard for me, but between the jet lag and the house stuff, I'm severely lacking motivation. 

So, in an effort to get some accountability, I'm going to try to do 30 minutes of something every day for the next two weeks for my physical and mental health. 

What are you guys doing?  Is everybody in full tri/marathon build already?

2014-01-16 12:14 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master

Originally posted by switch

So, I'm not sure if this thread is still active, or if we should come up with some new kind of challenge, or if you guys are all in a challenge (Dale's running maybe?) already, or if you're all challenged out, but I miss bantering with all of you and I don't fit into any of the current challenges, so I thought I'd stir the pot here and see what you all are up to

We cam back from vacation to find that the polar vortex had burst pipes in our house and every floor had standing water.  I've been meeting with insurance people and cleaning/mitigation crews for the last two days, and it looks like we will be out of our house for a year.  We're currently in a hotel with a fitness facility, so I just have to make time to get it done.  That's usually not hard for me, but between the jet lag and the house stuff, I'm severely lacking motivation. 

So, in an effort to get some accountability, I'm going to try to do 30 minutes of something every day for the next two weeks for my physical and mental health. 

#Craptastic!  Sorry to hear that, Elesa.  Give yourself a bit of time to settle for heaven sakes, but the 30 minutes daily sounds like a good idea!  Hugs

2014-01-16 7:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

So, I'm not sure if this thread is still active, or if we should come up with some new kind of challenge, or if you guys are all in a challenge (Dale's running maybe?) already, or if you're all challenged out, but I miss bantering with all of you and I don't fit into any of the current challenges, so I thought I'd stir the pot here and see what you all are up to

I'm so sorry Elesa. That is no fun at all.  I hope that you get things situated as soon as possible.

I'm getting back into my tri schedule next.  This week I'm going to get some bike workouts in.  I'm doing that Tour of Sufferlandria starting the 25th, so I need to get myself as ready for that as I can.

I'm up for anything as far as the challenge threads.  Maybe we could make a "getting into a routine" challenge.  We would be likely to recruit some new people with a challenge like that.

2014-01-16 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Wow...that sucks.  Sounds like you're making the best of it.  Some hotels have deals with local gyms...maybe you can find one of those where you'll have a better facility than the little hotel gym.  I mean, they're fine for a couple of days traveling; I can't imagine it being the only source for training.

I'm in base-building mode now, training all three disciplines and strength training (including core work...I haven't forgotten about that!!!).  I'm not in Dale's challenge because I felt that 100 mile mark would be too quick a jump for me out of Transition phase, but I'll be in the 70s for January mileage for sure. 

2014-01-16 12:46 PM

User image

Seattle

Ugh. I am so sorry to hear that Elesa. That effing sucks. I hope that you get things sorted out and that the insurance peeps are good to you. Of course it had to happen the one time you were away for an extended period of time. SIghhhh.

I am excited to watch your progress now that you have had some solid time off. Try not to rush anything and be patient with yourself!!!!! 

When is your first race?

I'm at the tail end of week 3 for my mary program. 13 weeks to go! That sounds so insignificant!

2014-01-16 1:31 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Nice to hear that you are back safely.  Sounds like the water thing is a mess.  I've been through it and it is not fun.  Getting out for 30 minutes sounds like a good idea.  Just take it easy and ease back into things.  We need you healthy and injury free.

I had a great run focus period.  I'm back into bike/swim as I continue with a build for a few marathons the first which is in 6 weeks.  My biggest weakness with running now is sticking with my paces.  I'm feeling so much stronger that I have been pushing paces beyond what I've planned.  Problem is it compromises the proper execution of the subsequent workout as well as contributing to some excessive cummulative fatigue.  With the help of the wonderful mentors here, I'm aware of it and am tweaking things to keep on track.

I have weaknesses in the pool but am taking the first four weeks to just build some base and wouldn't worry about it for awhile.  I only took two weeks off from the trainer and I'm pretty much where I left off.  And with that I'm just putting my time in and will work on sharpening things up after the marathons.  I like Matt's idea about a challenge as I think a lot of people are at that point with their training.  I think weaknesses could go on forever though and however long the thread goes, it has taught me to periodically reflect on my weaknesses and then do something about it.  I love it when a weakness becomes a strength. 

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  

of 53

RELATED POSTS

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVIII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35193 Posts: 1084

2008-06-03 8:15 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35095 Posts: 957

2008-05-20 8:51 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVI) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 33997 Posts: 1003

2008-05-08 9:14 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XV) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35563 Posts: 1005

2008-04-27 6:23 PM lastcall2003

The Mike Ricci July Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by vortmax
Views: 5533 Posts: 61

2006-08-02 3:35 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
It sounds like you have a very common condition that many runners and triathletes experience called patello-femoral pain syndrome. We have seen that runners with core weakness experience this.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : March 21, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
March BeginnerTriathlete of the Month Interview with Mike Ricci

date : June 4, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 2
One year ago I weighed 238 lbs. and got winded walking up one flight of stairs - literally. I ran across a brochure for a triathlon...hmm. It seemed like an impossible task, but I was intrigued.
date : May 16, 2005
author : infosteward
"After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."

date : April 17, 2005
author : Team BT
How to be a BOPer or MOPer in a FOPer world. As a middle of the pack athlete, I have adopted some things I do to assure a victorious feeling at every event I finish.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you turn a weakness into strength? It begins with effecting a fundamental change to your triathlete self-image.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!