General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike - Cyclo-X or Hybrid? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-09 9:38 AM

Subject: New Bike - Cyclo-X or Hybrid?
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new bike, as I have been surviving on my (very) old mountain bike for some time now, and need some advice on what type of bike would suit me best.

I want to buy an all-round bike and will typcially look to do the following (once my fitness catches up with the bike!), including:
- Commuting on differing surfaces, my commute will typically take me on ~10 miles of trailway (uneven rough surface, some mud, some gravel, cattle gates/grids, etc) and then ~10 miles of cycle paths and country roads.
- Participating in Triathlons, similar to the above surfaces I would imagine.
- Some light off-road use to visit various areas of the countryside (no down-hilling for me!)

Having researched this on my own I have narrowed my choices down to a Cyclo-X or a Hybrid, but I am unsure which will give me the most benefit/best experience vs budget. Around the £500 mark (with some accessorising) would be ideal, but willing to spend more if it'll be worth it in the long term.

Are you able to offer any advice?

Thanks,

Jon

2013-10-09 10:22 AM
in reply to: jdm206

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: New Bike - Cyclo-X or Hybrid?
The biggest difference between a CX bike and a hybrid will be handlebar position. There will be an adjustment period going from the flat bars to the drop bars. It might be worth it to look for a bike with dual-position brake levers (in the tops and in the hoods), so you can brake from either position while you adjust to the drop bars.

My hybrid is currently gathering dust, and I've only road it to the store or bank when I didn't want to bother with cycling shoes. Personally, I love my CX bike for hitting anything that isn't smooth pavement - gravel, bike paths, mud - you name it.

The drop bars on the CX bike are also closer to a road bike position; you can probably do pretty well in a road triathlon on a CX bike, especially if you swap to some smoother tires and leave the off road lugs at home.

Also, keep an eye on the accessories - if you plan on commuting, fenders / fender eyelets, panniers, and the like are your friend. My CX bike always leaves me covered in dirt and mud, but that's kinda the point for me.
2013-10-09 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I'd also side with the cyclocross bike, or one of the newer category "gravel" bikes. Any of the Kona Jake line, or the Rove, and several others (Niner has an awesome new model). Fits wide tires for the commute/off-pavement riding, and can swap in narrower road tires for the occasional races.
2013-10-09 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
I use my CX as a roadbike (I put on 25mm Conti Gatorskins) and often do 100+ km rides on it. Clip on some aerobars and it will be faster and better suited for Triathlon racing than a Hybrid.

Plus its loads of fun to ride on trails, gravel, etc. with CX tires.
2013-10-10 6:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
CX is the best choice. The hybrid class should be phased out because CX bikes can do everything hybrids can. Hybrids are VERY HEAVY and lower quality.
2013-10-10 12:48 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Love my 'cross bike.  If I could only have one bike (Gawd Forbid!), it would be a 'cross bike, hands down.

2013-10-10 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

I just sold my hybrid two weeks ago and bought a new disc brake cyclocross bike to be used as a winter training bike.  I've been smashing all my old commuting records on Strava.com with the new bike.  You'll definitely go faster on a cx bike. 

If you are going to be commuting on it, then you might want to spend a little more than £500.  For that price you will probably get a Sora groupset at best.  ( eg. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/threshold-a3-disc-2013-cyclocross-bike-ec041207 ).  Sora has a lot of plastic parts and it has to go in the shop for adjustments more often.  I'd suggest spending a couple of hundred more and getting Tiagra if its possible. 

Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike - Cyclo-X or Hybrid? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hybrid Upgrade or Road Bike?

Started by vctri
Views: 7114 Posts: 10

2011-05-11 2:32 AM UrbanPrimitive

Effect of going from hybrid to road bike

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 4696 Posts: 5

2011-04-20 5:57 PM benjaminjacobso

Hybrid bikes

Started by mookie0326
Views: 2685 Posts: 14

2010-06-09 4:52 AM dinabean

Thoughts on converting hybrid to road bike

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 8414 Posts: 8

2010-05-20 9:41 AM Tundra_Man

Road bike, converted hybrid, or neither?

Started by lablover
Views: 1058 Posts: 5

2005-04-07 11:14 AM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : January 30, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
The goal of this program is simple – for the cyclist to have IMPROVED performance when the next season rolls around, not merely to maintain last season’s fitness.
date : September 19, 2004
author : Machiavelo
Do you have a bicycle and do not know where to begin to find one if you do not? How should go about choosing a bicycle that will be best suited for your needs?

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.