General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No HR data after swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-10 6:54 PM

User image

New user
Central Florida
Subject: No HR data after swim
I tried putting this in the gear section, but since I'm still looking for an answer I figured I would give it a shot here.

I'm sure I am not doing something right as I know plenty of triathlete are getting heart rate data after their swim, but for some reason for my last two races I have had issues.

I have a Polar WearLink+ strap that I am pairing with a Garmin 910. During the first race, I left the Garmin HRM clipped into the strap during the swim. For the second race, I clipped a CycleOps HRM into the strap at T1. Both times, the Garmin 910 signaled HRM detected.

The Polar strap worked prior to the race, and I actually used the same strap this morning on the run. It worked just fine, so any ideas?

Thanks...Thomas

2013-10-10 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4874865

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: No HR data after swim
They can't transmit underwater. No one gets swim hr data.
2013-10-10 8:42 PM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

New user
Central Florida
Originally posted by chris00nj

They can't transmit underwater. No one gets swim hr data.

Sorry, I meant HR data on the bike and run after the swim.
2013-10-10 9:00 PM
in reply to: Running_FF

User image

Roch-cha-cha
It could be the placement of the monitor, or the conduction between your skin and the monitor. It might just be something to play around with.

Also, check the battery compartment on the monitor itself...if the seals are not intact and water gets into the unit, it won't give a reading. Also make sure the battery is fresh. Even if it's a new strap, the battery in it may not be.
2013-10-10 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

kind of curious why you don't swim with the monitor on. seems like an easy way to save time in T1 to me, and ensure that its working after your swim warmup.

shouldn't be an issue, and you are getting the paired signal.  is the strap in the same place when you come out of the water?  mine tends to ride down towards my waist requiring a little adjustment.

2013-10-11 2:14 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

New user
Central Florida
I checked the HRM after the first swim. Seals were intact, and the battery tested good on the voltmeter. To be sure it wasn't the HRM, I left it off during the swim. As such, I decided to clip on the HRM in T1. The actual time cost was 3 seconds. I ran into T1 with the front of the trisuit partially unzipped, so when I got to my bike, I could just clip it in place. Then once on the bike on the ride, I zipped the trisuit back up, so it didn't really cost me anything.

The strap seems to be in place. I keep it pretty tight. Enough that is leaves a slight impression. I've never paid that much attention right after the race to see if the impression is still there or if the strap is expanding due to being wet. It was mentioned that the fabric expands, so I'm going to test it by swim with the strap, tightening it if needed. Thinking this might be the cause since your strap is sliding down and needs adjustment.

Thanks!

2013-10-11 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I've used the 910 in several tris and the HRM works as soon as I get out of the water.  Even if the strap is wet it seems to cling to me pretty good. 

Sounds like a call to Garmin if you ask me.

2013-10-11 2:50 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I would imagine the contacts were not fully connected.
I have accidentally pulled my transmitter off the strap trying to adjust it on a bike ride. It took several attempts to snap it back in before it resumed transmitting.
Before giving up on the thing, try a swim workout with the strap and transmitter on and see if it connects on exiting the water.
2013-10-12 2:43 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
It may help if you provide some more information. What version of the firmware are you running? Have you upgraded it recently? What mode is the 910 in when this happens? What buttons are you pressing, and in what sequence? Is it collecting HR data in other situations? Do you see a HR displayed during the session, then it doesn't record and upload, or does it not display any HR at all during the session?
2013-10-12 5:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by Running_FF

I checked the HRM after the first swim. Seals were intact, and the battery tested good on the voltmeter. To be sure it wasn't the HRM, I left it off during the swim. As such, I decided to clip on the HRM in T1. The actual time cost was 3 seconds. I ran into T1 with the front of the trisuit partially unzipped, so when I got to my bike, I could just clip it in place. Then once on the bike on the ride, I zipped the trisuit back up, so it didn't really cost me anything.

Hi, in my first tri I did what you did and got no data. I'm guessing that the 910xt just doesn't pair with the device once the clock is running, but will re-pair, if it looses signal, when I swim with the HRM I do get data on the bike and run.

However, the data I've got are pretty useless, it takes the first 10-25min on the bike before the strap is dry enough to work properly. The problem, I think, is that when the strap is soaked the HRM doesn't register correctly the pulse, see this: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/220903409

BR
2013-10-13 10:36 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I posted above that I dis- then reconnected the transmitter during a ride... And it came right back to life (once I got it connected just right). I don't think that is a problem.
Also, people often wear their HRMs during the swim and so they get fully soaked, yet missing HR data isn't a consistent complaint.

There is of course always the possibility that the usual HRM problems giving you crap... Static and poor contact. To help those tighten the strap and use the electrode gel.

2013-10-14 2:19 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

New user
Central Florida
Thanks, tighten the strap is going to be the first step to correct the issue. Going to do a couple swim/bike and swim/run bricks to test it out. I'll report back once I've tried the fix.
2013-10-14 2:30 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

New user
Central Florida
For the first triathlon, the 910 was running on firmware 2.80. I upgraded to firmware 3.00 about a week prior to the second triathlon. The 910 is in multisport mode for the races. However, when I was practicing T1 and T2 during the taper, the 910 was in multisport mode and provided me a heart rate. For T1 practice, I didn't actually get into the water but rather simulated that I had just got done with the swim. For the race, I power it up while in the staging area, make sure it connected prior to getting to the start line, press start when the swim begins and then finally lap for the start of the next phase, IE T1, bike, T2, and run. The heart rate isn't displayed at all and as such, isn't recorded or uploaded.

Everyone seems to think it is a strap issue. During my bricks that involve swimming, I am not actually wearing the heart rate monitor during the swim. I always figured why bother since it doesn't record during the swim. I put is on during the transition to the bike or run. I'm going to start swimming with it to see if the strap is expanding or getting loose during the swim and causing the problem.

Thanks!
2013-10-14 4:31 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
In my last tri, I wore the HRM under my wetsuit, and checked that it was transmitting before switching over to OWS for the warmup, then to multisport mode for the race.
During T1, it did not record any HR data (nothing in the TCX and no graph on GC).
Only the first line in the bike leg was missing HR data, but then it recorded just fine for the rest of the day.

Good luck with the troubleshooting, and be sure to post the findings.
2013-10-19 5:44 AM

User image

New user
Central Florida
Thanks everyone for the help. Took the Garmin 910 and the Polar Heart Strap to the pool twice now. When I got out of the pool the first time after the swim, nothing. I took off the strap, tightened it up, and then I was able to get data for my run. Second attempt, no issues as I had heart rate data as soon as I got out of the pool onto the bike. I had a long run yesterday, threw on the heart rate strap and noticed it was significantly tighter than normal so it must be swelling a bit as it takes on water during the swim.

Thanks again!
2013-10-19 11:03 AM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Cool!
Has anyone ever sewed the adjustment buckle to keep it from loosening? It would be quick enough to snip and resew if the strap stretches out...or Thanksgiving happens.

2013-10-20 8:27 PM

User image

New user
Central Florida
I used the strap this morning after swimming a final test with it yesterday. I don't think I would sow the strap as I actually had to loosen it a bit because it was impairing proper breathing on the run. I am noticing the DeSoto kit I have been swimming in and then biking or running in after also seems to have the same issue. It is tight when it goes on prior to the swim almost too tight but it feels really good after the swim. When I spoke with Greg from DeSoto, he confirmed their fabric to expand after being immersed, so it isn't just my imagination.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No HR data after swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Coaches- help interpret my HM HR data

Started by Oldteen
Views: 700 Posts: 1

2011-05-08 8:43 PM Oldteen

20mi run HR data analysis

Started by Oldteen
Views: 899 Posts: 3

2011-04-03 8:38 PM Oldteen

Cycling HR data?

Started by nc452010
Views: 823 Posts: 6

2010-07-25 5:16 PM gsmacleod

What's going on here? Check my HR data

Started by jeffw85
Views: 1028 Posts: 8

2010-06-28 3:14 PM Slidell4life

Pro HR data anyone?

Started by JonCT
Views: 823 Posts: 8

2009-06-18 9:39 AM JorgeM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.

date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.
date : May 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on bricks, bike position, blisters, bike fit, the walk/run method, improving run times, key sessions, training post ITBS, HR and cadence, wetsuits and eating to not bonk

date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.
date : December 8, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Highly trained athletes can maintain a specific HR longer than a newbie without much creeping; their endurance is greater—thus able to keep pace efficiently and without much additional increase in HR.

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.

date : January 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
My doctor says 140bpm HR is my max, but that feels like a walk in the park... I don't know what to do, how to train, and my motivation is waning. Any suggestions?