General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would you swim in this? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-10 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Subject: Would you swim in this?
I live on the southern Gulf Coast in Florida, and ever since the oil spill, the Gulf of Mexico has been a pretty scary place to live near. We didn't get near the affects that the northern Gulf Coast has gotten, but thanks to an untold number of issues, our area of water is in pretty bad shape. It's really sad.

The latest incident to crop up is this lovely flesh eating bacteria that can easily get into your blood-stream via the tinest cut anywhere on your body and cause the loss of limbs and even death. (Seven people have died from the bacteria and one woman lost a leg to it in the last 2 years!!!)

However, like every good government agency, the "higher-ups" that determine water quality etc. have stated that there is a "very rare threat" for loss of life or limb to this new and lovely bacteria. The water in the Gulf in our area looks like liquid rust most of the time, masses of marine kills have washed up on our shores repeatedly, and now people are dying just from swimming in the Gulf.

But, according to the "popular data" the water is safe to swim in, and no warnings have been issued against swimming. So this begs the question: What would you do??? Let me preface this by saying I do work in the media as a local television news director, so I am bombarded with this type of news 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I direct news for our local ABC & NBC news stations here and this is a major hot topic in our newsroom, so I can't help but feel surrounded by this scary intel on a regular basis.

So I am asking all of you good and objective people out there: what would you do if you knew that your local open water swim location could be potentially leathal? I have a sprint race that I am contemplating doing come Jan. and the swim is in the Gulf of Mexico. But now I have some real reservations about doing this swim.

How many of you would just go ahead and do the race, including the swim, and not worry about it? And how many of you would feel the risk isn't worth it? And I'll go even one step further...how many of you would even go so far as to do a couple of training swims in this water, also?

I'm really interested in what all you think of this.

thank you in advance for your input.

2013-10-10 9:02 PM
in reply to: cafenervosa

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Would you swim in this?
I wouldn't pee in that water.
2013-10-10 9:43 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
LOL thank you for the input, btw.... I love your avatar!!!
2013-10-10 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
I'm with Brain on that one, no thanks, not worth it!
2013-10-10 9:59 PM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

From 2006 through 2008, I was the Vice Chairman and Chapter Chairman for the Sebastian Inlet chapter of the Surfrider Foundation. The Surfrider Foundation makes large strides to ensure that beaches, waters, and oceans are accessible and clean for everyone to enjoy. So don't expect me to guide you in the way of the careless oil, waste, or power industries. 

I subscribe to the FWC's email list. With that I receive weekly water quality reports. We, on the Space Coast, have received the most affected water concerns. However, unless you're a small fish, you're still pretty safe in the Indian River Lagoon. SWF is far from any pollution issues.

The flesh-eating bacteria cases happened in my area, but I still swim in the river with new cuts and all. The small gash that I had on my hand during the last tri (in the same week that the report of the two fishermen that were infected in the same river) has fully healed and I'm still healthy.

2013-10-10 10:04 PM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Pro
Originally posted by vertseven

From 2006 through 2008, I was the Vice Chairman and Chapter Chairman for the Sebastian Inlet chapter of the Surfrider Foundation. The Surfrider Foundation makes large strides to ensure that beaches, waters, and oceans are accessible and clean for everyone to enjoy. So don't expect me to guide you in the way of the careless oil, waste, or power industries. 

I subscribe to the FWC's email list. With that I receive weekly water quality reports. We, on the Space Coast, have received the most affected water concerns. However, unless you're a small fish, you're still pretty safe in the Indian River Lagoon. SWF is far from any pollution issues.

The flesh-eating bacteria cases happened in my area, but I still swim in the river with new cuts and all. The small gash that I had on my hand during the last tri (in the same week that the report of the two fishermen that were infected in the same river) has fully healed and I'm still healthy.

OK, Chief Brody.  Laughing

2013-10-10 10:21 PM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by vertseven

some are just a little more hardcore than the rest.

2013-10-11 12:28 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

, California
Originally posted by Left Brain>

OK, Chief Brody.  Laughing

Bahahahahaha
2013-10-11 7:26 AM

User image

Regular
Really? 7 people in 2 years???? How many people are using the Gulf on a regular basis? Come on. I live here as well (Ft. Myers), and swim the gulf regularly (Bowditch Point- Ft. Myers Beach). Yes, if I had an open wound I am swimming, anywhere, a pool , the gulf. Are you swimming in rain runoff ditches, like the kid in Lehigh? Paranoia. Chances are far more likely to have a run in with a snowbird that is not paying attention on a run or ride.
2013-10-11 7:55 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
well, this is certainly more dangerous to the average triathlete than a brain eating amoeba...
2013-10-11 8:02 AM
in reply to: isyphoto

User image

Regular
Originally posted by isyphoto

Really? 7 people in 2 years???? How many people are using the Gulf on a regular basis? Come on. I live here as well (Ft. Myers), and swim the gulf regularly (Bowditch Point- Ft. Myers Beach). Yes, if I had an open wound I am swimming, anywhere, a pool , the gulf. Are you swimming in rain runoff ditches, like the kid in Lehigh? Paranoia. Chances are far more likely to have a run in with a snowbird that is not paying attention on a run or ride.

Make that NOT swimming anywhere, nice typo on my part...

2013-10-11 8:07 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
I'm 2 hours north of you in the Bradenton/Sarasota area and our beaches are great. I've got a race next weekend with an OWS in a small inlet just off the Gulf. No way I'm skipping my last race of the season. Besides, like someone else pointed out, there is a greater chance I'll get hit by a Snowbird before I ever make it to the water.
2013-10-11 8:57 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by cafenervosaThe water in the Gulf in our area looks like liquid rust most of the time, masses of marine kills have washed up on our shores repeatedly, and now people are dying just from swimming in the Gulf.

What are you guys doing down there in Fort Meyers, flushing your toilets and dumping your garbage into the Gulf? 

Like Chris, I'm an hour north in Sarasota and our beaches are clean and the water is clear.  No qualms at all about swimming in it.  Biggest danger here right now is that it's sting ray season and a number of folks have been stung by stepping on them in shallow water. 

The worst water polution problem here is probably when all the triathletes are taking their pre-race pee while warming up.

Mark

2013-10-11 9:23 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Regular
The "rust" color is the Lake O' water releases into the gulf...just like every year. Yes, this year it was a little worse, but the issue is being overblown.
2013-10-11 9:48 AM

User image

Pro

Yeah- more likely that you'll get creamed by a snowbird while riding your bike.

and 'two points' for Left Brain's "Chief Brody" line.  (the young ones on the forum may need to look this up.  hint:  Jaws)

2013-10-11 11:15 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by RedCorvette
The worst water polution (sic) problem here is probably when all the triathletes are taking their pre-race pee while warming up.

Bingo

2013-10-11 12:17 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Leegoocrap well, this is certainly more dangerous to the average triathlete than a brain eating amoeba...

My sister was terribly concerned about my swimming in Walden Pond after reading an article on this.  Surprised

Hope she's as wrong as I think I'm right.  Wink

Matt

2013-10-11 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Drill, Baby, Drill!
2013-10-11 4:42 PM

If I had to guess, by far, the biggest risk from swimming in your area is drowning, not getting a virus.

-Mark
2013-10-12 5:16 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
I live here too and I can't believe you are worried about this. There are people in the gulf everyday. I too swim off of Bowditch Point with no issues. I have never given it a thought, even with the flow from the lake. I can't imagine worrying about stuff like this, I'd never do anything, including driving to work let alone go out riding.

And I assume you are talking about the HITS race in January. Go and have fun!
Duane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would you swim in this? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Swam Swum

Started by Robert Reynolds
Views: 1766 Posts: 12

2006-07-09 3:21 PM Robert Reynolds

Tri Swim Coach Swim Workshop 9/11/04- Denver, CO

Started by Tri Swim Coach
Views: 1030 Posts: 5

2004-08-23 11:49 AM Tri Swim Coach

How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle

Started by steven
Views: 2501 Posts: 7

2004-06-28 6:19 PM getwet

First Swim in a "Public" swim area

Started by slow&steady
Views: 1219 Posts: 9

2004-06-22 1:36 PM mikenhe

Swimming advice or help needed on video clip of myself swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by steven
Views: 3516 Posts: 29

2004-05-11 4:52 AM steven
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...