General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell me about your swimmer's shoulder Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-11 8:38 AM

User image

Subject: Tell me about your swimmer's shoulder

Hey folks,

Since the Orthopedist confirmed a bone spur, he suggested I try PT first then a cortisone injection. I suppose if those don't work I would have to get surgery to remove the spur - both injection/surgey come with their own set of possible complications which aren't exactly appealing. 

I've been going to a physical therapist for 3 weeks and it doesn't seem to be helping my shoulder. I know that strength training takes time. I was expecting some change in 3 weeks.

This is really depressing me.

I'm wondering how long it took you  to resolve your shoulder issue - or if you ever have.

Thanks for the feedback!

2013-10-11 9:17 AM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Tell me about your swimmer's shoulder

I fought some problems with my right shoulder for several months earlier this year.  Fortunately my orthopedic surgeon is an accomplished open water swimmer so he was a big help.

Eventually figured out it was due to a combination of some form issues with my swimming, aggravated by the height of my computer keyboard & mouse at work.

The computer thing was easy to fix with a change in height of my desk chair.

The form issue was related to working on a high elbow and early catch in my pull. Adjusted things a bit and it's gotten better.  I basically went back to a stroke that is more TI than Sheila Taormina.  Been fine ever since.

I've always done a lot of weight lifting over the years, so strength is not an issue, but it has reduced my range of motion in my shoulders, so that's also a contributing factor.   

HTH.  Good luck,

Mark

2013-10-11 9:42 AM

User image

maybe try a chiropractor

I suffered from tons of shoulder issues while I was doing crew in high school, and the traditional docs only wanted to give me drugs/shots - so my mom took me to a chiro and he managed to help with a lot of my issues

even now, I see mine regularly (tune up every 2-3 weeks) - and she also does work on my shoulder (pressure point type stuff) and my foot/knee (plantar faciitis)
2013-10-11 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Several years of competitive swimming with a poor off-season regimen of weight training (OK, I was stupid but I got little help from my coaches) left me with a couple of weakened rotator cuffs. I tried the cortisone shots they really didn't do a lot for me. When I was in my late 20's I got some really good advise from a trainer at the Univ of Alabama concerning weight training and building up the strength in my shoulders. I also learned not to do things that could lead to me hurting myself (ie, minor dislocations - I've probably thrown each of them out >4 times in my life, once while having sex. Yep, that ended that). After a number of years of really conscientious effort (and a ton of bent over rows and flys) I really no longer have a problem. I still don't do things like play volleyball or basketball (I could hurt myself doing these sports), but sex is no problem :-).

Don't know if that has anything to do with your bone spur though.
2013-10-11 3:21 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Sensei
Sin City

It looks like this thread is how to fix/recover/repair it...  I'll leave that to other people but want to mention, probably MORE importantly, you need to figure out why you got it.

You can do all the fixes you want.  Shots, surgery, doc visits, but if you continue to do whatever it is you are doing to cause it?  None of it helps much.

Look at your form.  When I had it, I realized I was crossing the midline of my body in the pull.  Once I figured out my technique issues, the swimmer's shoulder went away.

2013-10-11 4:17 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Originally posted by Kido

It looks like this thread is how to fix/recover/repair it...  I'll leave that to other people but want to mention, probably MORE importantly, you need to figure out why you got it.

You can do all the fixes you want.  Shots, surgery, doc visits, but if you continue to do whatever it is you are doing to cause it?  None of it helps much.

Look at your form.  When I had it, I realized I was crossing the midline of my body in the pull.  Once I figured out my technique issues, the swimmer's shoulder went away.

This^^^! I have had trouble with my left shoulder off and and since I started swimming a little over a year ago. A few months ago I was looking over the swim smooth web site and found some stuff about shoulder issues. They suggest a bilateral breathing pattern to help balance out the stroke. It took me a few weeks to get the hang of it but made a huge difference in my shoulder pain. I will be swimming over 10k this week. My shoulder is not 100% but pretty darn close to it. Good luck!

2013-10-11 4:40 PM

I have had persistent, occasionally severe right shoulder pain from swimming, probably from a injury from my high school days with football/basketball.

The only thing that solved the problem was to breathe to my left instead of right. I know, should be symmetric and equal with no effect, but it literally solved the problem - mine was so bad it was THE limiting factor in my swimming for awhile. Unfortunately, I'm still a bit slower breath-left vs breath-right, but I'll take it for no pain.
2013-10-11 4:53 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

...Once I figured out my technique issues, the swimmer's shoulder went away.

Agree !!

My swimmers shoulder was fixed by form change. In my case, my right shoulder, smack in the middle of the front, where the arm meets the shoulder...would get a grinding pain and nearly caused me to stop swimming for awhile.

But by simply correcting the angle of my hand, palm facing inwards (vs outwards), fixed it for me.

As long as I focus on that technique, it's been pain-free ever since.

2013-10-12 12:18 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

I had issues like this before from swimming. It got to the point to where it became hard/impossible to raise my arm above my head while standing. I was in IM training mode but I pushed through it, which was probably dumb, but it did get better. I saw a swim coach 1/2 into my training and she said that me having thumb first entry into the water (what I was taught) is something that needed to change or else it would cause shoulder issues. She didn't know I had issues so I thought that was interesting. I used to enter the watch with my hand twisted and my thumb would go in first. Now I enter it with fingers strait and act like I'm trying to slip my hand into a mail slot (Total Immersion sayings). I haven't had any issues since. When I did have issues, it took up to a month to recover. If I had any pain swimming (this is bad pain vs the "good" pain), I stopped and called it a day.
2013-10-12 8:07 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Ditto on much of the above.  But, I have 2 shoulders and only the second follows most of the above storyline.  So...

In brief:  If your shoulder is just sore, fix your form and you should be gtg.  If it's injured in a way that PT will only aggravate, not fix (tears, bad degenerative changes, etc.), surgery can help.  All depends on the particular joint in question.

My experience (as in, "not so much in brief" or the tl/dr version):

Right shoulder:  hurt it a little when I was in college playing rugby.  Ortho said, "Don't come back until you can't live with the pain (and you WILL come back, but it might not be for many years).  Go do PT."  So, I did.  Made it ~20 years until one summer I pushed it over the edge (coach pitch baseball, started swimming cuz I broke an ankle, light weights added in, kids took up tennis so I was hitting around with them - altogether too much).  Needed surgery.  Got it, recovered for a couple months and now I can do anything except pitch a fastball (not exactly holding me back, not being able to do that!).  I read the post-op report - my shoulder was a mess in about every way it could be without having any one catastrophic injury (seriously - almost everything was a little bit broken, and some things almost catastrophically - had the surgery just in time, basically).

Left shoulder:  fine all my life until I took my first (and as yet only) swim lesson last fall.  Coach showed me how to "swim pretty"  - all elbows up high on the recovery and ahead of my hand as it comes forward.  I looked great after the lesson, worked on it for a week - and promptly aggravated the cr@p out of my shoulder.  Needed a cortisone shot and 6 weeks out of the pool (and I now know from the workup that I have a small spur and minor to moderate impingement, so I have to be careful about how I move my arm during recovery).  Worked on discovering a swim form that worked for me and gradually adding yardage (started with like 400yds easy - THAT was the toughest part!).  Now, it's fine most days (occasionally will get tweaked, but with a focus on form it will come back and stay good).

Right shoulder is sooooooo much better now, cuz I needed to have it fixed, not fix my form (at least by the time I went in, that train had sailed from the barn - or whatever).  Left shoulder is sooooooo much better now, cuz I needed to fix the way I swam, not the shoulder.

Good luck!

Matt

2013-10-12 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

This!

And a hint:

If it's just one shoulder it's likely because of some asymmetry in your stroke. There are typically two (related) causes: We all have a strong side and one sided breathing. Try breathing to the other side, for a start you can breathe to one side going down, and the other going back. Then start learning bilateral breathing. It can straighten up your swim and take the load off a bit on your soar shoulder.

If it's both shoulders then there is some other problem with your technique such as mentioned above, crossing over in your stroke.

If you don't have a coach, now is a great time to get one to get that technique nailed down.

2013-10-13 9:58 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Thanks for the input.

I have been biliateral breathing and always have, although when I swim relaxed across the pool bilateral breathing isn't nessicary so its generally to one side. My breathing is left side dominant (even though I'm a righty) and its my left shoulder that has problems.

The PT has said with swimmers, most shoulder problems are due to stroke imbalances. I get that.

I'm at a loss as to how I'm supposed to get into the pool and swim when it aggrivates my shoulder? I haven't been in the pool for 2 months now. The pain started in late June. By July it hurt enough I cut down the swimming to once a week. In August I swam maybe a total of 3 times... I stopped a few weeks before my Oly just so I could finish the event.

I know I need a private coach for 1-2 months to straighting out my stroke problems. Then work on building strength. Once my left is strong I can start ramping up volume and speed etc. I'm thinking this is going to take 6months of work. 

I'm looking into a masters group thats about an hour away (its the closest). But even so, how can I join the masters group when I can't even swim properly?

I haven't found any private swim coaches. There are plenty of fitness/running type of trainers, but not swimming. I need to devote some time and hunt around - its just that I have no motivation right now. I'll get to it though. By November I want to get back in the pool even If its just kicking drills.

2013-10-13 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by LPJmom

Thanks for the input.

I have been biliateral breathing and always have, although when I swim relaxed across the pool bilateral breathing isn't nessicary so its generally to one side. My breathing is left side dominant (even though I'm a righty) and its my left shoulder that has problems.

The PT has said with swimmers, most shoulder problems are due to stroke imbalances. I get that.

I'm at a loss as to how I'm supposed to get into the pool and swim when it aggrivates my shoulder? I haven't been in the pool for 2 months now. The pain started in late June. By July it hurt enough I cut down the swimming to once a week. In August I swam maybe a total of 3 times... I stopped a few weeks before my Oly just so I could finish the event.

I know I need a private coach for 1-2 months to straighting out my stroke problems. Then work on building strength. Once my left is strong I can start ramping up volume and speed etc. I'm thinking this is going to take 6months of work. 

I'm looking into a masters group thats about an hour away (its the closest). But even so, how can I join the masters group when I can't even swim properly?

I haven't found any private swim coaches. There are plenty of fitness/running type of trainers, but not swimming. I need to devote some time and hunt around - its just that I have no motivation right now. I'll get to it though. By November I want to get back in the pool even If its just kicking drills.

I don't want to over simplify your situation, but you might consider getting some resistance bands and use them to strengthen your shoulder.

This is what I did and it helped tremendously. Of course you need to get some exercises that will help with your condition, your PT should be helpful for this.

One exercise that helped me, was to pull the band slowly across my chest and extend the arm. Arm was basically shoulder level, and naturally extended outwards. Note one end of the resistance band was connected to a stationary object.

Another was simulating the pull stroke, again slowly. Reach and pull through the stroke. Same setup with the band.

2013-10-13 10:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
St. Louis
I have impingement and after a couple cortisone shots my ortho recommended surgery. I cut back my swimming and stopped doing sprint drills. Make sure you ice after every swim too. I have a couple bags of frozen corn I use after every swim. My wife uses them for her knees too. Need to make sure we never cook them. They have been thawed and refrozen so many times they would be nasty to eat :-).

ETA: I didn't have surgery and completed several races including a 70.3 with no issues.

Edited by ransick 2013-10-13 10:29 PM
2013-10-15 4:46 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
The Cleveland Clinic estimates that 65% of competitive swimmers will develop shoulder problems at one point or another.

My own condition was inflammation of the supraspinatus tendon. I had it nagging me on and off from 2007 until 2011. I went to an orthopedist and took meds briefly. Did the suggested execises. At its worst, I was on a day to day basis, and there were some races that I was this close to DNS. I just didnt know how I was going to feel until I got in the water to warm up.

Then I gave swimming a good long rest. Like months and months or rest. No swimming. Zero. Then I started with the exercises BEFORE I started back to swimming. Not sure if it was coincidence, but pain free for 2 years now.

2013-10-15 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Had serious pain off and on from age 14 to 23. Lots of time doing physio and massage with some technique tweeks along the way. Most was pure overuse. Once I stopped the 60-80k swim weeks it was much better.

2013-10-15 8:40 PM
in reply to: JohnP_NY

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by JohnP_NY The Cleveland Clinic estimates that 65% of competitive swimmers will develop shoulder problems at one point or another. My own condition was inflammation of the supraspinatus tendon. I had it nagging me on and off from 2007 until 2011. I went to an orthopedist and took meds briefly. Did the suggested execises. At its worst, I was on a day to day basis, and there were some races that I was this close to DNS. I just didnt know how I was going to feel until I got in the water to warm up. Then I gave swimming a good long rest. Like months and months or rest. No swimming. Zero. Then I started with the exercises BEFORE I started back to swimming. Not sure if it was coincidence, but pain free for 2 years now.

Yep, did all that, too.  And it worked - for more than 20 years, happily.

Then it didn't.

And I had my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic (was a doc there at the time) - shoulder has worked since, happily!  

My doc's advice back 25+ years ago still stands as great general advice wrt surgery, "Don't come back to me until you can't drink a cup of coffee without wincing in pain."  ('course, you'll want to substitute coffee drinking with the activity in question, but the point is to avoid surgery until you just can't anymore).

NOT to say that the OP needs cut.  Just that it does happen sometimes and can be the right answer in certain cases - but as a last option.

Matt

2014-01-24 3:07 PM
in reply to: ransick

Originally posted by ransick

Make sure you ice after every swim too.

Ice can reduce swelling, but it also decreases blood flow which is necessary for healing.

I'm having shoulder issues and my doc diagnosed adhesive capsulitis. Said to take ibuprofen round the clock, no swimming and to ice frequently.

Saw the accupuncturist and he said no ice, no cold food, fine to swim if feels okay-ish and heat the shoulder frequently.

I'm currently going with the accupuncturist because it feels better when I swim. (last set feels better than the warm up. Not swimming more than 4000 yards a day) but I am taking ibuprofen too.

I've been swimming for 30 years (ugh... I must be old!) and I'm not aware of any changes to my stroke lately, but this came on quick.

2014-01-25 9:56 AM
in reply to: Quigley

User image

Had severe right shoulder issues several years ago, and I only breathe right. I feared rotator cuff, but doc diagnosed as just bursitis. He prescribed stretching drills, which I now do before every swim. No more shoulder problem, and I am still just a right breather! Doc was a sports orthopod, and said that this is most common problem he sees in triathletes over 50. This may be not much help if you have a "real" problem (like a rotator cuff), but I am a stretching believer. It had gotten so bad, I couldn't reach bike jersey pocket with my right hand; now I am almost symmetrical in range of motion.
2014-01-25 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

You've received some great advise from others, but some of it is worth repeating.

You have 2 challenges before you. One is to manage and relieve your current symptoms. Ice, rest and cortisone shots can help you with these. The second is to uncover the underlying cause.

I am going to assume that you did not suffer a traumatic injury (accident, suffering an acute injury weightlifting etc). If you have developed a weakness in any part of your rotator cuff, strength training focused PT is essential. However, more likely is a stroke defect. You can do a lot of things wrong swimming and not get injured so long as you don't swim hard or long. It's when you start doing those things that problems arise. Without seeing your stroke, let me suggest a couple of common mistakes.

First is make sure your hand is entering middle finger first. This has always been a problem for me too. I  use bio feedback by focusing on having my pinky touch first. I developed a shoulder problem in part because of this mistake. Curiously, it emerged as a problem when I was surfing a lot where thumb first entry comes too easily. The second thing I would suggest that you look at is your catch. If you breathe to your right and it is your left shoulder that is giving you problems, then you are pushing down in the catch phase, and not pulling straight back. I've made this mistake too. This problem can still arise if you breath bilaterally because only the true elite swimmers can swim completely balanced, although you'll see some that excel with an imbalanced stroke.

2014-02-20 1:11 PM
in reply to: E=H2O

Harmful technique is a contributing factor to many shoulder injuries. Most swimmers complete the arm entry with the arm parallel to the surface in a position that stresses the shoulder and often leads to injury.

A downward hand entry angle (40 degrees with respect to the body) results in an effective arm position at the completion of the entry with the hand deeper than the shoulder. The arm is then in a position with better leverage to immediately begin propulsion. An effective arm entry not only minimizes shoulder stress, but increases swimming speed.

More information is posted on the STR website.
http://www.swimmingtechnology.com/index.php/technique-tips/freestyl...
http://www.swimmingtechnology.com/index.php/injury-prevention/perfo...

Rod Havriluk, Ph.D.
Swimming Technology Research

2014-02-20 3:03 PM

User image

New user
Kenosha

THIS X2!!!

Many moons ago I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder. Then in 2012....the surgeon went in again because he thought I tore it. I was dreading the surgery because of all the time off. Both surgeries required the removal of bone spurs...some significantly long that were causing some rubbing. However, the 2nd surgery discovered that I basically lost 30-40% of my cartilage on the humeral head.

Two things to point out....1) I NEVER had or have any pain while swimming. No swimmers shoulder (knock on wood!). The trick is proper form by not crossing the center line and making sure you keep a high elbow under the water. 2) Lots and LOTS of upper back exercises to build up the rhomboids and supraspinatus muscles.

I never had any injections and know some day I will need to cap that humeral head. And I'll only do the surgery if I tear the rotator cuff and I can't swim.

Cyndi
2014-02-20 6:02 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
much of what I do for swimmers is help them relieve shoulder stress.

crossover and 1 sided breathing are kind of simplified 'causes'.

The stress comes from putting too much leverage on the shoulder joint in its weakest position (overhead position or reaching straight forward when we are parallel with the water), and compressing the shoulder joint with too much internal rotation coupled with this occurring too far forward of the body (ie overhead of you were standing).

Working on a "classic EVF" is a major contributor to shoulder problems.

What Rod mentioned, a steeper entry , can relieve some of this pressure, as can adding body rotation when stroking starts, not overworking an "EVF' but being happen with a slightly earlier mostly vertical forearm...which provides as much or more traction than most swimmers achieve.

Finallly , a recovery that lifts the elbow toward the ceiling compromises the shoulder joint, as opposed to swinging the elbow wider and lower during recovery.

When it comes down to it, swimming is tough on the shoulders. Get some video if nothing else so you can identify some areas to improve.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell me about your swimmer's shoulder Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimmer's shoulder without swimming?

Started by crea0029
Views: 867 Posts: 8

2008-11-07 9:42 AM famelec

Swimmer's shoulder

Started by say78
Views: 1458 Posts: 17

2008-04-17 10:39 AM mcdelroy

Swimmer's shoulder

Started by jsikes1
Views: 842 Posts: 4

2007-11-25 11:25 PM Scone_Mason

Swimmer's Shoulder- What's wrong with my stroke? (Video)

Started by Beanster
Views: 1969 Posts: 22

2007-03-12 5:09 AM Beanster

Swimmer's Shoulder Concern

Started by mchieffallo
Views: 730 Posts: 2

2006-08-15 8:12 PM mbydalek
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of swimmer's shoulder.

date : February 6, 2012
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery
date : July 15, 2008
The article I read said that swimmer's shoulder can result from improper stroke, overtraining and one sided breathing. Do you have any comments on this and how to prevent?

date : July 15, 2008
I get a very bad shoulder pain (left side only) when on the bike for over 45 minutes. The pain seems to be between my shoulder blades but only on the left side.
date : April 1, 2008
Discussions on common types of overuse injuries in endurance athletes including treatment guidelines and prevention. Injuries include swimmer's shoulder, achilles tendonitis and more.

date : October 2, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 9
Poor swim technique, overtraining, unilateral breathing, overuse of training equipment all can cause swimmer's shoulder. Read how to avoid injury and strengthen your muscles.
date : February 21, 2007
Here’s a review of three common injuries in triathletes and a brief review of what to do if you experience one of these injuries: Runner’s Knee, Achilles Tendonitis and Swimmers Shoulder.

date : April 17, 2005
Often I also see an imbalance in the front muscles of the shoulder, such as the pectoralis, and the back muscles, such as the rotator cuff and shoulder blade stabilizers. I would recommend: