General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2014-07-02 5:17 PM
in reply to: lepfan72

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Question for those that have raced before (or know more than me):

About how much wind should we reasonably expect on the bike? I've heard that loop 2 can get "windy" but what does that mean? 15mph? 20?

2014-07-02 8:46 PM
in reply to: lepfan72

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-02 8:50 PM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

2014-07-03 7:21 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Originally posted by Fred D

Longest run so far is 17 miles. I don't think we will do much longer, maybe one run that is 2.5 hrs, but we've limited it to 2hr 10' so far. I really believe most should consider PRACTICING run/walk in training as that's the reality of the ironman run.

I do walk/run in training, but I can never seem to be able to hold the same intervals I did in training during racing (halfs or fulls - doesn't seem to matter that much). I think that means I've overcooked the bike in the past, but even with better pacing training this year, I'm still planning on shortening my intervals during the race from what I'm able to do in training. I'm running 9/1 in training, so I will try something like 4:30/:30 or maybe 4/1.

Running scheduled intervals makes me really popular in the last 8-10 miles of the marathon. I usually have 3-4 people join in for the rest of the run as they've not practiced intervals up to that point and are walking by then.
2014-07-03 7:49 AM

Master
Crab Cake City
I have been training with 4:1 Run/Walk intervals for IMMT and I think it will work well for me coming off the bike. I think that once I get that first 4minutes done, I will be golden. If the wheels fall off, I might drop to a 3:1 interval. Goal is a 5:30 or less marathon split which I think should be doable (Hopefully!!)
2014-07-03 7:56 AM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by thedallasceliac

Longest run so far is 17 miles. I don't think we will do much longer, maybe one run that is 2.5 hrs, but we've limited it to 2hr 10' so far. I really believe most should consider PRACTICING run/walk in training as that's the reality of the ironman run.

I do walk/run in training, but I can never seem to be able to hold the same intervals I did in training during racing (halfs or fulls - doesn't seem to matter that much). I think that means I've overcooked the bike in the past, but even with better pacing training this year, I'm still planning on shortening my intervals during the race from what I'm able to do in training. I'm running 9/1 in training, so I will try something like 4:30/:30 or maybe 4/1.

Running scheduled intervals makes me really popular in the last 8-10 miles of the marathon. I usually have 3-4 people join in for the rest of the run as they've not practiced intervals up to that point and are walking by then.

I don't practice the run/walk strategy per se but I sort of employed a strategic run/walk when I did IMWI. So basically ran the entire run except for the aid stations, hills and longer inclines. I would walk those but do more of a fast walk with the elbows high. I didn't allow myself to slump over and walk slowly at anytime. I also didn't linger at the aid stations either and got myself back to running. I'm planning to do the same at IMMT.

2014-07-03 11:23 AM

Red Deer, Alberta
My regular long runs are done as a walk/run ratio of 10/1. When I did the Father's Day marathon, I was worried I was under-trained; my longest run to date had only been 16 miles. My coach had me do 6/1; then drop to 5/1 - it worked for most of the first 20 miles; then my walks got a little longer, but I still finished strong, and felt great the next day.

It's definitely good to practice a run/walk strategy in prep for race day!
2014-07-03 7:34 PM

Originally posted by thedallasceliac

How long will everyone's longest run be?

I'm behind on long runs, but not willing to cram it in, so my longest will be about 15 or so 3 weeks out.

My longest was 21 miles. I've kept all runs under 3 hours. I've been running 16 to 21 miles as my long run since March, the only weeks I missed were for a HM race, and a HIM race. I ran 4:05 at Lake Placid, and ran the whole marathon, but I really fell apart in the last 8 miles or so with about 5 or 6 miles in the 10 to 11 min mile range. I am hoping to keep my pace in the 8 min/mi range this year. I have a much better base all around, and have been hitting my training runs feeling much stronger this year.

I am actually considering backing off a bit. I wanted to keep my weekly mileage at 45 to 50, but I feel like I have more ground to gain on the bike and want to commit more time. I am hoping I don't lose much run fitness.

Between last Friday and yesterday I've managed 200 miles on the bike, including a brutal 100 miler yesterday in 95 degree heat and humidity with 5500 ft of elevation gain. It was 4 x 25 mile loops with some climbs in the cat 4 to 5 range. One at the end of each loop has over 100 feet of elevation gain in about 0.2 miles that for a short stretch hits about 18% grade. I really didn't know if I would make it up at the 97 mile mark yesterday. I am still riding with a 53/39 up front and still a 12/25 in the back and was really disappointed when I ran out of gears.

I'd like to get at least 200 miles of various riding in, including a century each week on the same course as yesterday for 3 more weeks, but I am not sure if I will need to back off the running.

I am planning a 16 mile run tomorrow with today as a pseudo-recovery day doing a short swim session (2500 yd) and an easy 2 mile run. I guess I will see how it goes.

I looked online and the consistent answer I see is that the IMMT course has 3800 ft of gain total? Is this correct?

2014-07-04 6:38 AM
in reply to: ImSore

2014-07-04 6:40 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

2014-07-04 5:07 PM

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20I have been training with 4:1 Run/Walk intervals for IMMT and I think it will work well for me coming off the bike. I think that once I get that first 4minutes done, I will be golden. If the wheels fall off, I might drop to a 3:1 interval. Goal is a 5:30 or less marathon split which I think should be doable (Hopefully!!)
I like this strategy! Employing the run/walk BEFORE you feel exhausted is the key IME. It is generally faster for most triathletes in ironman.

My strategy is to walk the aid stations and the hills. Not sure my approach is as scientific as Matt's, but the idea is the same. I did that during Syracuse 70.3 recently, and it worked pretty well. But I agree with Fred, start run/walk before you're drained.

At IMFL a couple of years ago, I tried to employ the same strategy and it worked well for a while. But in hindsight, I was undertrained for IMFL and ended-up walking most of the 2nd lap. I found two walking buddies and we fast walked the entire 2nd lap - in fact we had alot of fun talking and stuff, and we passed alot of folks who were still trying to 'run'. IMFL was my first IM distance race (which also was my first ever 2.4 mile ows swim, my first ever 112 mile bike ride and my first ever marathon...yes, I was undertrained), so I was just happy to finish to be honest. So, my lesson learned is this...go in with a plan and do you best to stick to it, but crossing the finish is the most important part of the day. If you run, run/walk, or walk most of the marathon, do whatever you can to finish - keep you eyes on the prize and nobody cares how you get there, just finish.

For IMMT, I'm in better shape than I was for IMFL, so I hope to run/walk and do it properly. But we'll see. My goal at IMMT is to finish and not need medical attention at the end, that's it.

Hope everybody is having a great July 4th.

2014-07-05 11:24 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

2014-07-06 8:03 PM

2014-07-06 8:46 PM

Good weekend of training for me. How's everyone else doing?

I work every other weekend. This weekend I managed a hard 90 minute ride into a 4 mi run yesterday, and 3500 yard swim this AM, and this PM a 6.2 mi threshold run, last 4.2 mi at about 6:30-6:40 min/mi pace. The cumulative fatigue in my legs is making me have to focus much more to keep pace, and frankly all of my threshold work seems a lot more difficult in these peak volume weeks.

The next 3 days will be the tough part of the week. Will be doing a 60 - 70 mi ride tomorrow. Tuesday I have another 3500 yd swim session and a 10 mi run. Wed is my long ride, will do 100 -110 mi with about 6 k in elevation gain.

Another week down. I'm trying to not actively count down to taper, but its getting tough.
2014-07-06 9:21 PM

Expert
Quick question for the group - I am really struggling to drink enough water on my long rides and runs. I'm spending the summer up in Michigan - and my uncle has about 15 miles outside of town. The places where I am running and biking don't have a convenience store on every corner. Plus, I only have two bottle racks on my bike. When you combine these factors with the fact that I sweat about 45 oz per hour, I am getting dehydrated way too frequently.

With money being tight - does anyone have any ideas about how I could bring more water along on my rides/runs? I could slip another bottle in my bike shirt - but that only buys me another half hour on the bike and doesn't work on the run.

I was thinking of getting a hydration back pack - but they are kind of expensive. I basically have 4 more weeks of training and then the problem solves itself.

Thoughts?

2014-07-06 10:24 PM
in reply to: Qua17

Originally posted by Qua17

Quick question for the group - I am really struggling to drink enough water on my long rides and runs. I'm spending the summer up in Michigan - and my uncle has about 15 miles outside of town. The places where I am running and biking don't have a convenience store on every corner. Plus, I only have two bottle racks on my bike. When you combine these factors with the fact that I sweat about 45 oz per hour, I am getting dehydrated way too frequently.

With money being tight - does anyone have any ideas about how I could bring more water along on my rides/runs? I could slip another bottle in my bike shirt - but that only buys me another half hour on the bike and doesn't work on the run.

I was thinking of getting a hydration back pack - but they are kind of expensive. I basically have 4 more weeks of training and then the problem solves itself.

Thoughts?

I rode in 95 - 100 degree heat last week and went through a ton of fluids. I loop my training routes and have a cooler in the car and use it to refill. I've been using Perpetum for nutrition and that takes up one bottle spot. I have 2 more, about 45 ounces or so that I use for fluids. I also filled up a large container with water which I kept in the cooler and basically just dumped over my head before I went out on each loop, it really helped my reset my core temperature and gave me about 5 miles of reprieve from the heat. So that was another huge plus. It may not be as "fun," since you are basically just riding the same course again and again, but its worth it in exchange for a personal aid station.

Riding loops also has the advantage of knowing the roads and potential debris. You can usually spot the major issues on the first loop and not worry as much on the latter loops and just hammer away.

You could also plan out and backs with good elevation profiles/traffic and do the same.

Last year I planned poorly and was way out in the middle of nowhere with no fluids on a really hot day. I found a gas station and filled up my bottles in the sink. It wasn't the tastiest, but I didn't die.

For running I use a hydration belt with 36 oz. I believe. I don't mind getting some heat acclimatization in, but if I stick to shadier areas and run early or late, I manage to make it last the full 2 to 2.5 hours or so for my long runs. I also try to make sure I am well hydrated when I head out on my long runs. There is a park I usually run through on my routes that has a water fountain I can drink from and refill, and there are also restrooms that I can take advantage of some cool water.

2014-07-07 8:01 AM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

This past week was like a lost week for me. I got sick with a cold last Thursday and was really sick last Sunday and Monday. I wound up missing 3 straight days of training last week (Sun-Tue). I got back to it last Wednesday with the intensity dialed way down. I did manage a few bike rides and runs. This past Saturday I got a 1.1 mile OWS in followed by a 77 mile hills ride on the bike but I was not 100%. I wound up taking yesterday off so only managed about 4 days of training last week. I'm feeling better and hoping to get back on track and to my normal training schedule this week. Not many days left to train, need to make them all count. Hope everybody else's training is going well.
2014-07-07 8:51 AM

Red Deer, Alberta

Last week was a good week for me - it was a recovery week, but I still got two solid rides in, plus a 10 mile run in ridiculous temps with 80%+ humidity. This week is a mini taper for a 70.3 race on Saturday (I have two scheduled rest days... two... TWO.... I'm going to go crazy!). With only six weeks to race day, I'm feeling pretty good about my training right now, and know I still have two more long, hilly rides on deck. Funny thing is, I've gone from dreading them to looking forward to them...
2014-07-07 9:32 AM

Expert
Originally posted by ImSore

Thoughts?

I rode in 95 - 100 degree heat last week and went through a ton of fluids. I loop my training routes and have a cooler in the car and use it to refill. I've been using Perpetum for nutrition and that takes up one bottle spot. I have 2 more, about 45 ounces or so that I use for fluids. I also filled up a large container with water which I kept in the cooler and basically just dumped over my head before I went out on each loop, it really helped my reset my core temperature and gave me about 5 miles of reprieve from the heat. So that was another huge plus. It may not be as "fun," since you are basically just riding the same course again and again, but its worth it in exchange for a personal aid station.

Riding loops also has the advantage of knowing the roads and potential debris. You can usually spot the major issues on the first loop and not worry as much on the latter loops and just hammer away.

You could also plan out and backs with good elevation profiles/traffic and do the same.

Last year I planned poorly and was way out in the middle of nowhere with no fluids on a really hot day. I found a gas station and filled up my bottles in the sink. It wasn't the tastiest, but I didn't die.

For running I use a hydration belt with 36 oz. I believe. I don't mind getting some heat acclimatization in, but if I stick to shadier areas and run early or late, I manage to make it last the full 2 to 2.5 hours or so for my long runs. I also try to make sure I am well hydrated when I head out on my long runs. There is a park I usually run through on my routes that has a water fountain I can drink from and refill, and there are also restrooms that I can take advantage of some cool water.

Thanks Rich for your great ideas. I don't know which I like more - your great suggestions or your username
2014-07-07 10:52 AM

I had a good week last week, capped off by a 11 mile run on Friday and a 77 mile ride on Saturday. But on Sunday, my left heel start to ache, which might be plantar fasciitis, though I'm not sure. In any case, I've ditched my sandals and birkenstocks, took some ibuprofen, done alot more stretching and am taking a few days off from running. I'm also going to buy a new pair of running shoes today. Hopefully things ease up over the next few days. My left calf also seems tight, so I'm sure there's a connection - maybe I need a good massage.

In any case, glad to hear that everybody is doing well.

2014-07-07 10:57 AM
in reply to: Qua17

Thoughts?

I agree with Imsore - go with loops. I have a similar issue, but recently found a dunkin donuts on the far side of one of my usual riding roads so I fill-up there. BTW, where in Michigan are you? I love Michigan in the summer time, esp the northern parts of the lower peninsula.

BTW, if you uncle has friends in the area that you ride, perhaps he knows someone that will allow you to use their hose for a quick fill-up on your rides. I would get permission ahead of time, but that may be another option too.

good luck.

2014-07-07 11:08 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

2014-07-08 8:16 AM

Master
Crab Cake City
I have also done loops and they can get pretty boring. There is a 9 mile course near my house that I did 8-10x It is boring and can get windy but I found it to be good mental training. Only thing with loops to change it up is alternate direction.
2014-07-08 10:39 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Loops are a killer mentally for me. I do much better with 1 big loop or an out and back.

I also go through a LOT of water on my rides. I think if you can spare it, investing in a hydration pack like Camelbak will help you a lot. I went through 3 refills of my 70oz Camelbak plus 2 nutrition bottles on my bike on Sunday's 100 miler, and I think I was still not drinking enough.

I had an OK weekend. Had planned to ride on Sat but for some reason I couldn't fall asleep until 4 am (I think the server gave me regular coffee instead of decaf on Friday night...), so I moved my long ride to Sunday, which meant I missed Sunday's planned short stuff. Such is life. Ride on Sunday was good, albeit slower than I would have liked.
2014-07-11 8:34 AM

Red Deer, Alberta
Quiet for the last couple of days! How's everyone doing? I have a warm up local 70.3 tomorrow so I've had a light week as a mini taper for this; weather looks good (hot & humid, same as last year), so I think it will be fun.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33905 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9845 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7805 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68507 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf

Ford Ironman World Championship : Official Thread

Started by wieczynski
Views: 5564 Posts: 21

2009-09-30 7:43 PM jinxs68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.