General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2014-07-30 4:30 PM
in reply to: bknoyou

User image

Red Deer, Alberta
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
My training has never been more than 14-15 hours on my heaviest week - most are about 12. My longest ride was 100 miles; my longest run 16 miles.

I'm working with a coach, and our goal is for me to finish - and I'm 100% confident that he's got me where I need to be. Next year, when I'm looking to improve my time? Maybe then we'll have me train more - but for now, I'm (mostly) healthy, and feel I'm hitting the start line ready.

Good luck, hope to see you out there!

2014-07-30 5:42 PM
in reply to: Detroit Dan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Originally posted by Detroit Dan

The starting line is calling
There can be no stalling
No crawling nor bawling
No mothballing
Wiiiithdraaaawwwing

Swimmin’ with a wetsuit makin’ fishies play scatter
They should be used to it by now I don't even splatter
Talkin’ 'bout fishes… huh
No problem in my gray matter

Yeah
Let me reminisce
They call it a runners high
Something's amiss
Yeah
I gave up some life for this

Permission admission condition
Hydration nutrition digestion
Position technician mission
Ambition tactician friction
Morrr-tiiii-cian

The starting line is calling
There can be no stalling
No crawling nor bawling
No mothballing
Wiiiithdraaaawwwing

Are you scared?

Starting with a cannon
And I’m in it for the finish
I said it’s FOR THE FINISH
The finish
The finish
Never diminish
I’m in it for the finish

Yeah!!!

By the way, I rote this last time I did an Ironman, 2011
2014-07-30 8:00 PM
in reply to: Detroit Dan

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Great work everyone!

This past Saturday I rode 129 miles (avg 20.1 mph) followed by a short 2 mile run and on Sunday I did an easy 18 mile run @ 8:14 and purposefully kept the pace a little slower compared to my long run the previous week.  I'm on work travel again this week.  This morning I got up at 4 a.m. to get in a 20 mile run (avg 7:29 pace) and felt pretty strong.  This Saturday I'll do my last 100 mile ride and then another 2 hr ride on Sunday.  Feeling stronger every day. 

2014-07-30 8:09 PM
in reply to: kalindsey

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kalindsey Does anybody else think it's frustrating that they haven't posted the athlete guide? I understand that they tend to be similar from event to event, but I would really like to have the athlete guide for the event that we're doing specifically.

It might be frustrating to folks that haven't done this race before, but I would suggest simply reading the 2013 guide that is on the website for now to help calm you down....the 2014 guide likely won't be that much different.

2014-07-30 9:48 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
Come watch us race for $275.00

VIP Race Day Package: $275.00 per person
This VIP Race Day Package grants you access to the VIP Hospitality Areas throughout race day. You will have access to view the athletes' swim start. From the Subaru BRZ Zone, you will have an elevated view from the stage overlooking the Transition Zone. Then guests will have access to the Subaru Lounge - the most prestigous area to view all of the amazing athletes completing their journey and crossing the finish line. We offer great viewing areas, along with a catered lunch to enjoy as you await your athlete's IRONMAN triumph.

Package Includes:

· Swim start on beach with welcome coffee and croissants and access to dock

· Catered lunch at the Subaru Lounge, 11:30A.M. to 1:30P.M.

· Transition viewing from Subaru BRZ Zone, this area has a stage overlooking the transition zone

· Finish line viewing from Subaru Lounge, beginning at 10:00A.M.

· Catered dinner at the Subaru Lounge, 6:00P.M. to 8:00P.M.

· Access to VIP Welcome and Hospitality room overlooking end of run course

http://ironmanstore.com/vip/ironman-mont-tremblant-vip-race-day-pac...

2014-07-31 9:56 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by kalindsey Does anybody else think it's frustrating that they haven't posted the athlete guide? I understand that they tend to be similar from event to event, but I would really like to have the athlete guide for the event that we're doing specifically.

It might be frustrating to folks that haven't done this race before, but I would suggest simply reading the 2013 guide that is on the website for now to help calm you down....the 2014 guide likely won't be that much different.

Except there is no active link on their site for the guide. It merely states "click here," but that isn't a link...

2014-07-31 12:39 PM

User image

Pro

Here is the 2013 racers guide attached

Attachments
----------------
im tremblant english ag 8 7.pdf (4646KB - 18 downloads)
2014-07-31 1:21 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Jim - is there a trick to downloading to 2013 guide that you attached? it doesn't seem to work, unless I'm doing something wrong. and super big thanks for posting the 2013 guide.

Brian
2014-07-31 2:17 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Pro

Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Jim - is there a trick to downloading to 2013 guide that you attached? it doesn't seem to work, unless I'm doing something wrong. and super big thanks for posting the 2013 guide. Brian

hmmm....not sure why its not working....when I uploaded the file to BT it said "succesful"

2014-07-31 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

Jim - is there a trick to downloading to 2013 guide that you attached? it doesn't seem to work, unless I'm doing something wrong. and super big thanks for posting the 2013 guide. Brian

hmmm....not sure why its not working....when I uploaded the file to BT it said "succesful"

maybe there is a glitch somewhere. If I send you a PM with my email address, would you email it to me?

Edited by LarchmontTri 2014-07-31 2:56 PM
2014-07-31 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Does anyone know if Bike Special Needs and Run Special Needs are located at an aid station? Just curious as to whether I will be able to fill my bottles with SN water and just bring my powder infinit mix instead of a pre-made bottle which will be warm by the time I get to it.

2014-08-01 7:09 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Veteran
Massachusetts
If I recall correctly...

The bike special needs is right after the first rotary heading out. I don't recall an aid station there, but maybe some port-o-johns.
The map shows it may take some time before you get to the next aid station
http://www.ironman.com/~/media/53ec8937a0374e1e81018a0396ac731d/d%2...

The run special needs is in the hotel parking lot; where we pretty much cut through the lobby; at the top of the hill right before you run through the middle of the village. Once you run through the village there is an aid station.

Look at the top map here
http://www.ironman.com/~/media/f74c817ca1f249ac9f764a23ac279139/d%2...

Good luck, Cheers
2014-08-01 7:50 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Does anyone know if Bike Special Needs and Run Special Needs are located at an aid station? Just curious as to whether I will be able to fill my bottles with SN water and just bring my powder infinit mix instead of a pre-made bottle which will be warm by the time I get to it.

Not sure of the logistics of mixing nutrition on the fly. Probably be better to just drink it warm

I am working out the finer details of my nutrition plan also. I am looking at about 270 cal/hour on the bike from Perpetum, but I am also trying to decide on a small amount of "solid nutrition" to supplement another 100 cal/hour or so. I've done a few energy bars during training, but my stomach actually feels best if I get a bit of protein/fat, usually from some sort of peanuts or peanut butter. I get a "hollow" feeling in my stomach if I go 100% liquid, but otherwise I tend to digest well on the bike, my HR usually stays pretty low, especially at an IM effort bike.

I generally do not do well with nutrition on the run. During almost all of my longer training runs I went with diluted Gatorade as my only source of calories. I was fine for my runs, but that was not preceded by a very long bike. I am hoping to get about 250 cal/hr from coke/gels on the course. Last year at about mile 8 or so I had to stop taking in any calories for a few miles, my stomach just wasn't going to handle it, and I definitely felt it impact my run. Hopefully this year goes better.

I didn't pack anything for special needs last year. I probably should put some emergency stuff in there, but I am too cheap to lose it if I don't use it. I'd almost rather carry an extra. I probably will throw an extra (non latex) tube in bike SN, and maybe a CO2 cartridge though this year.

Edited by ImSore 2014-08-01 7:53 AM
2014-08-01 8:38 AM

Matt - I wouldn't count on the ability to mix on the fly at Special Needs. I would suggest freezing your bottles overnight and then wrapping them in foil or somehow try to keep them as cold as possible (ie. insulated bag) - this will probably be your best avenue to get non-warm bottles at Special Needs. When I did IMFL, I think I kept my bottles in the colder than usual refrigerator over night and then wrapped them the best I could. My bottles were ok by the time I got to them at Special Needs. Temps at MT should be relatively cool anyway, so that will also help.

But to the mixing question....if you have pre-measured mix in a baggie, you can just stop at the next aid station to mix. It'll take a few minutes or so to do so, but what's a few minutes in a long day anyway. I've stopped before at an aid station to drop in a Nuun tablet into a bottle or to refill a bottle with water, alot of folks do it. Just make sure you do it safely with all the bikers and volunteers around. I tend to grab my bottle of water and then head to the far end of the aid station to pull off and mix.

And btw, when I did IMFL, I saw alot of folks taking breaks at aid stations at miles 75-90ish. Some just sitting down for a few minutes, others trying to stretch, some mixing, etc. So, if you have to stop at an aid station to mix your bottles, so be it. You'll have lots of company.

16 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-08-01 11:26 AM
in reply to: ImSore

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-01 11:56 AM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Matt - I wouldn't count on the ability to mix on the fly at Special Needs. I would suggest freezing your bottles overnight and then wrapping them in foil or somehow try to keep them as cold as possible (ie. insulated bag) - this will probably be your best avenue to get non-warm bottles at Special Needs. When I did IMFL, I think I kept my bottles in the colder than usual refrigerator over night and then wrapped them the best I could. My bottles were ok by the time I got to them at Special Needs. Temps at MT should be relatively cool anyway, so that will also help.

But to the mixing question....if you have pre-measured mix in a baggie, you can just stop at the next aid station to mix. It'll take a few minutes or so to do so, but what's a few minutes in a long day anyway. I've stopped before at an aid station to drop in a Nuun tablet into a bottle or to refill a bottle with water, alot of folks do it. Just make sure you do it safely with all the bikers and volunteers around. I tend to grab my bottle of water and then head to the far end of the aid station to pull off and mix.

And btw, when I did IMFL, I saw alot of folks taking breaks at aid stations at miles 75-90ish. Some just sitting down for a few minutes, others trying to stretch, some mixing, etc. So, if you have to stop at an aid station to mix your bottles, so be it. You'll have lots of company.

16 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use infinit for the bike leg and what I did was have pre-measured containers in my SN bag. I stopped dumped the mix from the containers in my bottles and then got cold water and I was good to go. Those small Glad containers worked perfectly for this. Yeah you'll lose a few minutes doing it this way but I thought it was better then going with bottles that could potentially be warm when you get to them. I'm not winning any awards so a few minutes extra will make no difference to me. I'm going to do the same again for this race.

2014-08-01 1:06 PM
in reply to: strikyr

Master
Crab Cake City
Facebook page says Athlete Guide should be posted sometime today.....
2014-08-01 1:38 PM

Bib numbers link was posted yesterday, but it didn't work. It works now.
2014-08-01 4:34 PM

Veteran
Massachusetts
Bib numbers are up #1939

or #6361 if you see me lying on the gutter
2014-08-02 6:18 AM
in reply to: gobey007

2014-08-02 8:01 AM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I'm 2172, the athlete guide is up as well. Last night they just posted the event schedule. The full guide is up there now.

2014-08-02 12:31 PM
in reply to: strikyr

2014-08-02 12:34 PM

Master
Crab Cake City
Bib#1440

Just got done a 3hr trainer session and 20m brick run. Legs feel good. Got my final long run planned for tomorrow (2hrs)

I hope we get good weather!!
2014-08-02 6:58 PM

Red Deer, Alberta
Bib #984.

Last long ride (75 miles) with a 4 mile run was today; tomorrow is a 10 mile run. Hoping taper starts soon... I'm beat!
2014-08-02 7:26 PM
in reply to: lepfan72

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I had to move my long ride tomorrow. One more hills ride hoping to get in 90 to 100 miles and then I'll do a short run later on in the afternoon. Today the weather was not kind to me. I got a short ride done in the wind and rain, 35.5 miles in about 1:52. It beat sitting on the trainer though for hours. Hoping we get the long ride in tomorrow and the showers stay away until the late afternoon.

I'm pretty sure we are all speculating on the weather. As long as it's not like Lake Placid was I think I would be happy. That was a mess this year.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33913 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9849 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7806 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68519 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf

Ford Ironman World Championship : Official Thread

Started by wieczynski
Views: 5564 Posts: 21

2009-09-30 7:43 PM jinxs68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.