General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2014-08-09 2:54 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Originally posted by meggfishy

I'm in Mont-Tremblant for vacation right now and it's stunning. A triathlete's paradise. The IM village is partway set up and I've seen a few athletes around. I ran one loop of the run course today and drove the Chemin Duplessis section of the bike yesterday and all looks awesome! I popped into the lake and I feel I would be totally fine in a sleeveless wetsuit. I am definitely signing up for next year.

If there's anything I can investigate for anyone while I'm here, I'm happy to!

I'm heading up on Monday and will be there some time on Tuesday. How is the weather?

2014-08-09 3:01 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Weather couldn't be better. Sunny, has peaked at about 80 during the day and high 50s overnight, low humidity. Hope it sticks around for y'all!
2014-08-09 6:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-10 9:21 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Regular
Washington, DC
We've driven the Montee Ryan and Chemin Duplessis portions, plus part of 117 (not the full thing). The roads look flawless to me, and I'm super picky about road quality. We might get a chance to drive the whole 117 stretch tomorrow before we head back to Montreal -- will report back if we do.
2014-08-10 9:28 AM

2014-08-10 1:23 PM

Master
Crab Cake City
Glad you are having a good time Meg! Do you feel better about your decision to pick IMMT as your first IM?? How did the roads look to you on Montee Ryan and Chemin Duplessis in terms of hills? Did they look intimidating to you since you were worried about hills or were they not so bad? You enjoying your vacation?

I will be getting into town Monday night so Ill be going for a run on tuesday and hopefully a quick Chemin Bike ride on wednesday.

Just a quick check of the weather in Tremblant for the current 10 day forecast.......

Tuesday- Saturday looks like highs are in the 60's- low 70's with 50-70% chance of rain each day.

RACEDAY Current Forecast- 74 and partyly cloudy with a 10% chance of rain and WSW winds at 6mph

What does everyone think that the temps and rain would do to the lake temp before race day? Will it impact it that much over the next 7days? Lets hope the raceday forecast holds and lets have no rain on saturday either.

2014-08-11 12:19 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

2014-08-11 9:31 PM
in reply to: 0

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

We're heading to M-T on Thursday and will stay until the following Thurs after the race.  After having raced IM WI in 2006 (cold, wind, rain and NOT forecast) I come prepared to race in any weather conditions.....that had to be the most miserable weather day in my athletic career.  Safe travels everyone

Edited by Birkierunner 2014-08-11 9:32 PM
2014-08-13 9:23 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I arrived in Mont Tremblant yesterday. The forecast for this week sucks but nothing we can do about it. Today is like a total washout so no s/b/r and course previewing. It rained yesterday afternoon and last night as well. Looks like we'll have a chance of rain each day for the rest of the week but the chance will decrease as the week goes on. Race day is not looking bad at all at this point.

The condo I have is right around corner from the finish. I mean I could literally run through the finish and keep going and be at the condo in a minute or two lol. I'm right by the transition as well. I couldn't have gotten a better location if I tried. I'm thinking I could get up 5 minutes before the race starts and still have extra time. Ok well not really but you get the idea I'm very close. Great for my wife plus with the myathletelive tracker she'll not have to wait around.

Hope everybody has a safe trip and enjoys the down time before Sunday. Athlete check in is tomorrow and for me that's a major reality check.
2014-08-13 11:11 AM

Regular
Washington, DC
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Glad you are having a good time Meg! Do you feel better about your decision to pick IMMT as your first IM?? How did the roads look to you on Montee Ryan and Chemin Duplessis in terms of hills? Did they look intimidating to you since you were worried about hills or were they not so bad? You enjoying your vacation?

I will be getting into town Monday night so Ill be going for a run on tuesday and hopefully a quick Chemin Bike ride on wednesday.

Just a quick check of the weather in Tremblant for the current 10 day forecast.......

Tuesday- Saturday looks like highs are in the 60's- low 70's with 50-70% chance of rain each day.

RACEDAY Current Forecast- 74 and partyly cloudy with a 10% chance of rain and WSW winds at 6mph

What does everyone think that the temps and rain would do to the lake temp before race day? Will it impact it that much over the next 7days? Lets hope the raceday forecast holds and lets have no rain on saturday either.

We just missed each other -- we left MT Monday afternoon to head back to the Montreal airport. I'm sorry y'all are getting poured on this week...the weather was so nice when I was there! Hoping for good weather for y'all Sunday.

You know, the hills on the course were not nearly as bad as I had envisioned. It obviously looks challenging, but I had pictured the Chemin Duplessis climbs to be much steeper than they are. It looks like there's a lot of good corresponding downhill for the uphills.

I really really enjoyed MT. It's almost like someone tasked Disney with creating a charming ski village targeted directly at triathletes. I'm looking forward to heading back next year.
2014-08-13 11:36 AM

Edited by Fred D 2014-08-13 11:37 AM

2014-08-13 12:29 PM

Master
Crab Cake City
Hey everyone. I have been here since Monday. Got a 3 mile run in yesterday and today I biked the Chemin Duplessis section (12 miles- I actually went past the turn around part) in the freaking pouring rain and I mean pouring!!! It was a fair stretch but by no means as difficult as I envisioned. I can tell that doing it on the end of each loop will be more difficult then riding today on fresh legs. Most of the hills are steep but they are short. I loved getting all that free speed on the way back into town. Since the rain and winds were so strong today, I lost all of that free speed to be careful as to not crash but I was glad I got out and did a course preview. I have driven the Montee Ryan several times this week so we could get places and that does not look too bad. I plan on driving the highway section tomorrow just to see and put some landmarks in my memory bank. The town is already alive with IM spirit and lots of people here already training.

Are we still meeting Friday morning at 7am infront of the Kandahar to go swimming??

Hope everyone has safe travels
2014-08-13 12:30 PM

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by meggfishy

We just missed each other -- we left MT Monday afternoon to head back to the Montreal airport. I'm sorry y'all are getting poured on this week...the weather was so nice when I was there! Hoping for good weather for y'all Sunday.

You know, the hills on the course were not nearly as bad as I had envisioned. It obviously looks challenging, but I had pictured the Chemin Duplessis climbs to be much steeper than they are. It looks like there's a lot of good corresponding downhill for the uphills.

I really really enjoyed MT. It's almost like someone tasked Disney with creating a charming ski village targeted directly at triathletes. I'm looking forward to heading back next year.

Glad to hear it! I have no doubt that you will crush this course next year.
2014-08-13 12:34 PM

Master
Crab Cake City

Hey everyone. I have been here since Monday. Got a 3 mile run in yesterday and today I biked the Chemin Duplessis section (12 miles- I actually went past the turn around part) in the freaking pouring rain and I mean pouring!!! It was a fair stretch but by no means as difficult as I envisioned. I can tell that doing it on the end of each loop will be more difficult then riding today on fresh legs. Most of the hills are steep but they are short. I loved getting all that free speed on the way back into town. Since the rain and winds were so strong today, I lost all of that free speed to be careful as to not crash but I was glad I got out and did a course preview. I have driven the Montee Ryan several times this week so we could get places and that does not look too bad. I plan on driving the highway section tomorrow just to see and put some landmarks in my memory bank. The town is already alive with IM spirit and lots of people here already training.

Are we still meeting Friday morning at 7am infront of the Kandahar to go swimming??

Hope everyone has safe travels

Nevermind...Meeting at the bottome of the Cabriolet in the Village at 7am. Ill be wearing a bright orange Nations Triathlon shirt and a blue Penn State Hat. Ill be looking for you all.
2014-08-13 8:12 PM

Red Deer, Alberta
Are we meeting at 7 on Thursday, or Friday by the cabriolet?

We arrived this afternoon; weather has been off and on rain. Managed a gorgeous short run in between showers. Tomorrow I'm supposed to ride Chemin Duplessis. Hopefully drier tomorrow than it was today!
2014-08-13 8:41 PM
in reply to: lepfan72

2014-08-13 8:42 PM

Edited by Fred D 2014-08-13 8:43 PM
2014-08-13 8:57 PM

Red Deer, Alberta
Friday at 7 is perfect!

Today has been off and on very rainy. When it's not raining it's beautiful though.
2014-08-14 6:29 AM

Regular
Washington, DC
Originally posted by Fred D

I think it's a fair course where you can actually fly down the descents pretty fast. The climb you mentioned I find pretty steep myself, but it is all relative I suppose. I hope to stay around 300w and no higher on those climbs. Ended up choosing a standard crank with an 11-25 cassette, because that is what I'm most used to and the climbing in central PA is even tougher. We are now hoping to arrive tonight. Definitely looking forward to the week. I ride tomorrow , swim Friday and then do some top secret pre race prep on Saturday ;-)

Pretty steep for sure! Just not as impossible as I had imagined.
2014-08-14 8:17 AM

2014-08-14 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4876092

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
We're in MT, having dinner actually.

I didn't get to check in today (longer story on that one). Do you think I'll have a problem swimming tomorrow before I get my wristband? Excited to meet you all in the morning!

2014-08-14 5:48 PM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

2014-08-14 7:16 PM

Red Deer, Alberta
I waited until this afternoon and rode the Chemin Duplessis section. It was cool, but I was warm enough with arm warmers (my plan for race day); and although I did get some rain, it wasn't too bad except for about 5 minutes.

I considered it good practice for descending in the rain - something I almost never have to do back home.
2014-08-15 12:28 PM
in reply to: lepfan72

2014-08-15 7:45 PM
in reply to: #5039638

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Bummed I missed all of you. Had a rough night sleep-wise and figured that should be top priority.

Got in the water this afternoon - perfect temps for a full sleeve!

Hope you all are resting up!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33829 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9815 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7795 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68437 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf

Ford Ironman World Championship : Official Thread

Started by wieczynski
Views: 5553 Posts: 21

2009-09-30 7:43 PM jinxs68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.