General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2014-08-16 2:55 PM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
I'm sorry I missed the swim as well yesterday. I wound up getting up late and riding Chemin Duplessis and part of the run course up to P' du Train Nord. I also got a very quick swim in after 1 pm just to see how cool the water would be and it wasn't bad at all.

I'm hope everyone has fun tomorrow, stays safe and has a great race. Good luck and best wishes to everyone.

2014-08-18 6:33 AM
in reply to: strikyr

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-18 9:58 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
I finished in 14:07. A PR for me and 48 minute improvement over last year at IMWI. This is a much harder course then IMWI plus the with the cold and rough water for the swim, the brutal wind on 117 and Montee Ryan plus the rain at the end of my bike when I was on Chemin Duplessis as well as getting drenched again on the run on my first loop I thought I did very well and can't complain. There was no way I was hitting my time goal of 13:00 but I'm not disappointed in the least. Mont Tremblant is an awesome venue for a race. I would love to do this again just not next year :-)

Congrats to everyone who finished yesterday I hope you all had a great race and look forward to hearing about it through your race reports.
2014-08-18 8:01 PM

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by strikyr

I finished in 14:07. A PR for me and 48 minute improvement over last year at IMWI. This is a much harder course then IMWI plus the with the cold and rough water for the swim, the brutal wind on 117 and Montee Ryan plus the rain at the end of my bike when I was on Chemin Duplessis as well as getting drenched again on the run on my first loop I thought I did very well and can't complain. There was no way I was hitting my time goal of 13:00 but I'm not disappointed in the least. Mont Tremblant is an awesome venue for a race. I would love to do this again just not next year :-)

Congrats to everyone who finished yesterday I hope you all had a great race and look forward to hearing about it through your race reports.

I FINISHED!! First IM is in the Books!

Race day did not go according to plan but it seldom does. I learned a lot from this experience which I will carry with me for other races and future training. The bike course was really brutal on me. Maybe because of the times I was out there and the cold and the rain but the headwinds kept switching up on me out on 117 and Montee Ryan and I was pedaling on the downhills and still only going 14mph. I felt like I never caught a break out there and as a result my pace was about 35 minutes slower then I expected. I also had some GI issues and just felt like I couldnt stomach anything. The only good thing about the long bike was it set me up for a fantastic run and I was able to run the first 21 miles before having to stop and walk. I am pleased to go sub 6hr in my first Marathon, especially after biking 112 miles.

I wish the weather in the week leading up to the race was a bit better but other then that, I had a great IM experience and really enjoyed taking it all in and experiencing everything.

Race Report will come in the next week or so. Glad to hear everyone did so well and it was awesome meeting some of you.
2014-08-18 9:07 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Originally posted by strikyr

I FINISHED!! First IM is in the Books!

Race day did not go according to plan but it seldom does. I learned a lot from this experience which I will carry with me for other races and future training. The bike course was really brutal on me. Maybe because of the times I was out there and the cold and the rain but the headwinds kept switching up on me out on 117 and Montee Ryan and I was pedaling on the downhills and still only going 14mph. I felt like I never caught a break out there and as a result my pace was about 35 minutes slower then I expected. I also had some GI issues and just felt like I couldnt stomach anything. The only good thing about the long bike was it set me up for a fantastic run and I was able to run the first 21 miles before having to stop and walk. I am pleased to go sub 6hr in my first Marathon, especially after biking 112 miles.

I wish the weather in the week leading up to the race was a bit better but other then that, I had a great IM experience and really enjoyed taking it all in and experiencing everything.

Race Report will come in the next week or so. Glad to hear everyone did so well and it was awesome meeting some of you.

Matt congrats on finishing and x2 on the weather for the week. I wish it would've been nicer out here as well. Sounds like you executed pretty well given the circumstances. I totally backed down my effort on the bike and did not go with my targeted normalized power number. I think I was a good 10 to 15 watts off what I though I would do for the race. It was a good call though I ran the entire run leg and only walked the aid stations and took 17 minutes off my run from last year at IMWI to go sub 5 on the run and IMMT is a way tougher run course then IMWI is IMO. Congrats again Ironman!
2014-08-18 10:09 PM
in reply to: #5040015

Congrats all on your races.

Fred, blazing fast time, great execution all around. Matt, congrats on your first IM finish, you said you wanted it bad, and you went out and got it done. Tony, congrats on your PR.

I came close to my goal of 10:30, but made a few mistakes. I finished in 10:37:13. My swim was 1:18, I'm not a great swimmer and still need a lot of work on technique. My bike was 5:34 , I had to make some port-o-john stops, and lost a bit of time, and also had some mechanical issues. I over hydrated as it was cooler than what I had trained in. All the extra fluids also affected my salt. I started suffering a bit on the run, but once I started taking my salt capsules I felt much better and dropped the pace back down, but lost some time. I ran the marathon in 3:35. All in all, given my current fitness and ability, if I had no regrets and executed a 100% perfect race, I probably could take off 10 or so minutes at best, which isn't much considering, so I am happy. I'll get a real race report up in the next few days.

Second IM is in the books, and I feel that I learned a ton, not only with race execution, but with what direction to take my training. I'm already debating which one to do next year. But I can say I loved this course, and my only hesitation for recommending it to everyone is that I want to keep it on the down-low and leave some registration spots open for when I want to so it again.

-Rich

2014-08-19 5:49 AM
in reply to: ImSore

2014-08-19 5:50 AM

2014-08-19 5:52 AM

2014-08-19 7:52 AM

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Congrats to all who finished IM Mont Tremblant. It was a pleasure meeting some of for the Friday swim.

I couldn't be happier with my race. Just a great day out there for me. Was nice to see Fred's pretty face so much on course. That's seems to be a trend in every IM I sign up for.

Just found out that I would have missed Kona by 27 seconds had I gone to roll down. Finished 10th in M35-39 and it rolled to 9th. Glad I didn't want a slot this year.

2014-08-19 9:52 AM
in reply to: rscheung

2014-08-19 10:11 AM

2014-08-19 10:13 AM

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Originally posted by Fred D

No, actually they called your name. The next guy after u got the last slot. I knew u weren't going, but yes you qualified, as I clearly heard your name from Mike Reilly!

Interesting. Guess I heard wrong. Not sure why that makes me happy but it does. Now I can say I rejected Kona.

Fred, it really was a pleasure leap frogging part of the bike with you and hanging out a bit after the race. Wish we lived closer because we could get together for some epic training rides. Hope to see you at some races in the future. You need to work on your bike/run transition. That's twice you went into T2 ahead of me and came out behind me.
2014-08-19 12:01 PM

Race report posted, its somewhat lengthy though. Went on quite a bit just "re-living" the race. Had a great time. If anyone is interested.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2014-08-20 12:55 AM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by ImSore

Congrats all on your races.

Fred, blazing fast time, great execution all around. Matt, congrats on your first IM finish, you said you wanted it bad, and you went out and got it done. Tony, congrats on your PR.

I came close to my goal of 10:30, but made a few mistakes. I finished in 10:37:13. My swim was 1:18, I'm not a great swimmer and still need a lot of work on technique. My bike was 5:34 , I had to make some port-o-john stops, and lost a bit of time, and also had some mechanical issues. I over hydrated as it was cooler than what I had trained in. All the extra fluids also affected my salt. I started suffering a bit on the run, but once I started taking my salt capsules I felt much better and dropped the pace back down, but lost some time. I ran the marathon in 3:35. All in all, given my current fitness and ability, if I had no regrets and executed a 100% perfect race, I probably could take off 10 or so minutes at best, which isn't much considering, so I am happy. I'll get a real race report up in the next few days.

Second IM is in the books, and I feel that I learned a ton, not only with race execution, but with what direction to take my training. I'm already debating which one to do next year. But I can say I loved this course, and my only hesitation for recommending it to everyone is that I want to keep it on the down-low and leave some registration spots open for when I want to so it again.

-Rich

Congrats Rich that is a great finishing time! I'd take that any day. Had you a little better luck you clearly would've gotten your time goal. Still a great race. I do agree with you on this race, it is sort of a hidden gem and I hope it stays that way. How it doesn't sell out day one is beyond me.
2014-08-20 12:59 AM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by strikyrI finished in 14:07. A PR for me and 48 minute improvement over last year at IMWI. This is a much harder course then IMWI plus the with the cold and rough water for the swim, the brutal wind on 117 and Montee Ryan plus the rain at the end of my bike when I was on Chemin Duplessis as well as getting drenched again on the run on my first loop I thought I did very well and can't complain. There was no way I was hitting my time goal of 13:00 but I'm not disappointed in the least. Mont Tremblant is an awesome venue for a race. I would love to do this again just not next year :-)Congrats to everyone who finished yesterday I hope you all had a great race and look forward to hearing about it through your race reports.
nice work! I did the IMWI course once and was not a fan. Goal times usually go out the window during ironman, so I agree 48' PR is awesome!

Thanks Fred and agreed on the goal time. I just wanted to make sure I got to the finish in the best time that I could. Congrats to you on a great race, it sounds like you killed it.

2014-08-20 1:02 AM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by rscheung

Congrats to all who finished IM Mont Tremblant. It was a pleasure meeting some of for the Friday swim.

I couldn't be happier with my race. Just a great day out there for me. Was nice to see Fred's pretty face so much on course. That's seems to be a trend in every IM I sign up for.

Just found out that I would have missed Kona by 27 seconds had I gone to roll down. Finished 10th in M35-39 and it rolled to 9th. Glad I didn't want a slot this year.

Congrats on a great race and on the Kona slot even though you already decided you wouldn't take it. That is quite an accomplishment.
2014-08-22 11:24 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by ImSore Congrats all on your races. Fred, blazing fast time, great execution all around. Matt, congrats on your first IM finish, you said you wanted it bad, and you went out and got it done. Tony, congrats on your PR. I came close to my goal of 10:30, but made a few mistakes. I finished in 10:37:13. My swim was 1:18, I'm not a great swimmer and still need a lot of work on technique. My bike was 5:34 , I had to make some port-o-john stops, and lost a bit of time, and also had some mechanical issues. I over hydrated as it was cooler than what I had trained in. All the extra fluids also affected my salt. I started suffering a bit on the run, but once I started taking my salt capsules I felt much better and dropped the pace back down, but lost some time. I ran the marathon in 3:35. All in all, given my current fitness and ability, if I had no regrets and executed a 100% perfect race, I probably could take off 10 or so minutes at best, which isn't much considering, so I am happy. I'll get a real race report up in the next few days. Second IM is in the books, and I feel that I learned a ton, not only with race execution, but with what direction to take my training. I'm already debating which one to do next year. But I can say I loved this course, and my only hesitation for recommending it to everyone is that I want to keep it on the down-low and leave some registration spots open for when I want to so it again. -Rich

Rich, its funny how similar our splits were....I went 1:13, 5:35, 3:37

2014-08-28 1:56 PM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Sounds like everyone had a pretty good race!

The day didn't go like I'd planned, but I still finished, had a (mostly) enjoyable time, and am looking forward to doing IMMT again someday.

Thanks very much to Fred and anyone else who echoed that a weak cyclist like myself should definitely get a compact. I did that, and am 100% certain that if I HADN'T, I would have DNF'd the bike course.

I had some nutritional issues that I'm 99% sure were due to not drinking as much (water) as I should have. I guess I stopped worrying about hydration in terms of digestion since I was training in the Texas heat and downing hundreds of oz of water each ride just to not overheat, so I did a really bad job of drinking when it was so cool (I'm guessing I only averaged 10oz/hr) and it really messed my stomach up. Lesson learned.

I loved the course except for Chemin Duplessis, which just about killed me even on the first loop. It was there that I pulled something at the top of my right calf (now diagnosed as a Popliteus Injury, which is spot on) that didn't really bother me much on the bike but killed my marathon.

I'll definitely do MT again because I loved the village and really did enjoy the majority of the course, but I need to spend a couple years working on my cycling.

Congrats to all of you! This was my 3rd IM and the first time I ever heard Mike actually call me an Ironman. That finish line set up was spectacular - I felt like a rock star, even coming in as late as I did.

Edited by thedallasceliac 2014-08-28 2:06 PM
2014-08-29 8:34 AM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by thedallasceliac

The day didn't go like I'd planned, but I still finished, had a (mostly) enjoyable time, and am looking forward to doing IMMT again someday.

Thanks very much to Fred and anyone else who echoed that a weak cyclist like myself should definitely get a compact. I did that, and am 100% certain that if I HADN'T, I would have DNF'd the bike course.

I had some nutritional issues that I'm 99% sure were due to not drinking as much (water) as I should have. I guess I stopped worrying about hydration in terms of digestion since I was training in the Texas heat and downing hundreds of oz of water each ride just to not overheat, so I did a really bad job of drinking when it was so cool (I'm guessing I only averaged 10oz/hr) and it really messed my stomach up. Lesson learned.

I loved the course except for Chemin Duplessis, which just about killed me even on the first loop. It was there that I pulled something at the top of my right calf (now diagnosed as a Popliteus Injury, which is spot on) that didn't really bother me much on the bike but killed my marathon.

I'll definitely do MT again because I loved the village and really did enjoy the majority of the course, but I need to spend a couple years working on my cycling.

Congrats to all of you! This was my 3rd IM and the first time I ever heard Mike actually call me an Ironman. That finish line set up was spectacular - I felt like a rock star, even coming in as late as I did.

Great job out there and congrats on IM #3. I hope your injury heals up quickly. I also am a weak cyclist and this made me realize how much I need to improve to get better in this sport.
2014-09-01 8:11 AM

Expert
Hi All:

Here is a link to my race report. Check it out if you are interested: http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?race...

I just want to thank everyone for their help, suggestions and support! It was a life changing experience and I'm just so thankful to have finished. I wish you all the best of luck moving forward!

Prost!

2014-09-01 10:05 AM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Originally posted by thedallasceliac

Great job out there and congrats on IM #3. I hope your injury heals up quickly. I also am a weak cyclist and this made me realize how much I need to improve to get better in this sport.

Congrats on finishing IM#3. That is a big accomplishment. I hope you're feeling better and your recovery is going well. I do agree with you both in regards to the bike. I've worked very hard to become a decent biker over the last 3 years. IMHO these Ironman and full distance tri's are mainly about the bike. I understand all about the swim and the run but we wind up spending so much time on the bike that what you do on the bike dictates what you do on the run and the race for that matter. Congrats again.
2014-09-01 10:07 AM
in reply to: Qua17

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by Qua17

Hi All:

Here is a link to my race report. Check it out if you are interested: http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?race...

I just want to thank everyone for their help, suggestions and support! It was a life changing experience and I'm just so thankful to have finished. I wish you all the best of luck moving forward!

Prost!

Congrats on finishing your first IM, great job! I tried to get to your RR via the link posted but I can't get to it. It looks like it's still draft. I look forward to reading it.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33778 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9804 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7786 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68386 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf

Ford Ironman World Championship : Official Thread

Started by wieczynski
Views: 5547 Posts: 21

2009-09-30 7:43 PM jinxs68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.