General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-10-16 5:08 PM
in reply to: aglowe1972

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-10-16 5:24 PM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Fred D 2013-10-16 5:25 PM
2013-10-17 3:14 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by rscheung I'm in. 2nd IM. First IMMT Primary goal is to ride Fred off my wheel so he doesn't draft me the whole way like he did in Lake Placid. Secondary goal is to crack the 10 hour mark. Have to nail that run this time.

Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about Fred, Bob. You know he will only be drafting off folks during the Strava segments....

It's the only way to take those flat segments. Either wait for a 30mph wind or draft like a mofo and nip it by 1 second at the end.
2013-10-18 4:15 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Thanks Fred! I'll talk to my LBS guys about getting a compact.
2013-10-18 8:24 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

Crap, did I really sign up for an Ironman again? I did. Didn't I. Good grief, Charlie Brown.

So the theme is training smarter....

Smart Things to Do (for an avg MOP AG'er):

- Lose weight. Lugging around an extra 10, 15 or 20 lbs for 140 miles is tough. The time to lose weight is NOW till Feb/March. It's not smart to try and lose weight during peak Ironman training time; the 4.5 months leading up to IMMT.

- Don't focus on your Swim Time. Focus on enough fitness to finish 2.4 miles and feel fresh still, but spending too much time training the swim to just shave off 10 minutes on your swim will pay less gains on race day, as the swim distance is 2% of the distance.

- Do focus on the Bike. Don't believe Lance. He's a doper. It IS all about the bike. Take world class Kenyan 2:10 marathoners and have them do an Ironman. Their marathon will be atrocious because of the 112 miles you bike beforehand. Focus on biking in Zone 3. BIKE HARD. BIKE OFTEN. Vike has 5 contact points so it's your lease chance of injury and easiest to maintain form. Having said that, I've gotten tendonitis riding the bike and missed IMUSA one year.

- Focus on Time on your Feet for Run training. Zone 2. BRICKs are fantastic. Run Long and Aerobic. Ice baths after Long Runs are your friends. Zoot RecoveryRX pants work well during the winter for recovery. They are warm in the summer though when you're sleeping.

- A 70.3 2 months out is a nice training tune-up. We're swimming in a lake so if you have a lake nearby that helps. Lake stroke is a long, smooth stroke.

- Figure out your best climbing bike gears based on your ability.

- Find a group of triathletes doing Ironman around the same time as you. Commit to meeting them at the unGodly idiotic:dark:thirty pre-dawn hours.

Farmer Bob and Fred are NOT your avg AG'ers. They are top 5% of the Ironmen AG Elite!!
2013-10-18 8:42 PM
in reply to: Dream Chaser

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Bobby glad to see you onboard and I agree all good points. I guess I will be seeing you at some of those ungodly hours when the real training for IMMT commences.

2013-10-18 8:46 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Welcome back to it Bobby.
2013-10-18 9:46 PM

Originally posted by Dream Chaser

Crap, did I really sign up for an Ironman again? I did. Didn't I. Good grief, Charlie Brown.

So the theme is training smarter....

Smart Things to Do (for an avg MOP AG'er):

- Lose weight. Lugging around an extra 10, 15 or 20 lbs for 140 miles is tough. The time to lose weight is NOW till Feb/March. It's not smart to try and lose weight during peak Ironman training time; the 4.5 months leading up to IMMT.

- Don't focus on your Swim Time. Focus on enough fitness to finish 2.4 miles and feel fresh still, but spending too much time training the swim to just shave off 10 minutes on your swim will pay less gains on race day, as the swim distance is 2% of the distance.

- Do focus on the Bike. Don't believe Lance. He's a doper. It IS all about the bike. Take world class Kenyan 2:10 marathoners and have them do an Ironman. Their marathon will be atrocious because of the 112 miles you bike beforehand. Focus on biking in Zone 3. BIKE HARD. BIKE OFTEN. Vike has 5 contact points so it's your lease chance of injury and easiest to maintain form. Having said that, I've gotten tendonitis riding the bike and missed IMUSA one year.

- Focus on Time on your Feet for Run training. Zone 2. BRICKs are fantastic. Run Long and Aerobic. Ice baths after Long Runs are your friends. Zoot RecoveryRX pants work well during the winter for recovery. They are warm in the summer though when you're sleeping.

- A 70.3 2 months out is a nice training tune-up. We're swimming in a lake so if you have a lake nearby that helps. Lake stroke is a long, smooth stroke.

- Figure out your best climbing bike gears based on your ability.

- Find a group of triathletes doing Ironman around the same time as you. Commit to meeting them at the unGodly idiotic:dark:thirty pre-dawn hours.

Farmer Bob and Fred are NOT your avg AG'ers. They are top 5% of the Ironmen AG Elite!!

Thanks, great advice. Agree on all points. I'm sort of doing most of this already, even though it was more by 'chance' than via any organized strategy. The hardest part of the advice is the losing weight part, especially with the holidays around the corner, but you're right, why carry any extra weight if you don't need to.

Since some of you seem to be NY metro area folks, what 70.3 are you planning to do ahead of IMMT? I'm planning to race Syracuse 70.3 as my tune-up race.

Ok, off to do some ab exercises before turning in for the night.

2013-10-18 9:47 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
1si IMMT, but third IM. Did Penticton twice.
Looking forward to soaking up some advice from you all that have been out there before.

Really like the advice above. I hadn't planned on committing that much time this year to the pool. I was swimming three times a week in the past. Going to focus a lot more on my run this winter....by running. I'm a 'decent' biker, and would love to see a mid-4 on the run clock this time.
2013-10-19 5:49 AM

2013-10-19 9:11 AM

I'm doing Cuse 70.3, too.

2013-10-19 8:56 PM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I've signed up for Syracuse already as well. Did it this past year and I think it'll be a good warm up for IMMT. Lot's of climbing the first 12 to 15 miles on the bike. The run is tough too, two steep climbs uphill and you get to do it twice since it's a two loop run course.
2013-10-21 10:08 AM
in reply to: strikyr

Master
Crab Cake City
Do those of you who have done an IM before highly recommend doing a half prior to race day? I want to do one but for strictly financial reasons, I do not know if I can afford to do one prior. Can a big day of training substitute just as well?
2013-10-21 12:38 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

2013-10-21 12:53 PM

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Do those of you who have done an IM before highly recommend doing a half prior to race day? I want to do one but for strictly financial reasons, I do not know if I can afford to do one prior. Can a big day of training substitute just as well?

I think a HIM would be useful in order to get ready, but not essential. A long training day is a great replacement, but try to make that day resemble a race as much as possible so you can practice transitions, test our your nutrition plan, etc.

2013-10-21 1:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Nice points. Thanks for posting.

I'm not going to do a HIM this year. I might do a local race that is about halfway between an Oly and HIM in each of the distances in the first week of May, but that'll be it. I find racing during IM build just takes too much out of me. I'd rather put that effort into my long rides/runs.

I'm also about to start on the quest to become a fish - 5x/week in the pool until sometime in February. We'll see what happens. I have done just the minimum required for swim training the last 2 IMs and my swim times have shown.... and I suspect my bike and run times as well.

2013-10-21 1:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Dumb question for those of you that do liquid nutrition:

How do you ensure you're getting an even intake of calories? Mark the bottle? Sip x times every x minutes?

Am I overthinking this? With solids, it's easy to make sure I get XX calories every XX minutes.

I'm thinking about doing a hybrid of liquid and solid calories this year on the bike. Last 2 years I've done all solid and it really gets difficult logistically trying to carry it. I have an iron stomach except for carbonation, but too much of the same thing tends to result in me having difficulty trying to force it down the hatch later in the day.
2013-10-21 8:33 PM
in reply to: 0

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by thedallasceliac

How do you ensure you're getting an even intake of calories? Mark the bottle? Sip x times every x minutes?

Am I overthinking this? With solids, it's easy to make sure I get XX calories every XX minutes.

I'm thinking about doing a hybrid of liquid and solid calories this year on the bike. Last 2 years I've done all solid and it really gets difficult logistically trying to carry it. I have an iron stomach except for carbonation, but too much of the same thing tends to result in me having difficulty trying to force it down the hatch later in the day.

I use Infinit and I like it. I think the batch I had made up was 285 calories a bottle. I also do solids on the bike as well. I like bonk breaker bites and clif shot blocks. That combo worked well for my when I trained for IMWI and for the race itself. What I did was about a bottle an hour and I made sure I ate a little something every 60 to 90 minutes. I had no issues but I know everyone is different when it comes to nutrition plus the weather will play a factor into how much you drink. It was overcast and and comfortable for IMWI this year so I didn't have to drink as much as if it were warmer. The only downside to this strategy was I had to stop for my special needs bag to refill my bottles with Infinit which took a little time.

Edited by strikyr 2013-10-21 8:40 PM
2013-10-21 8:39 PM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I agree with everyone on the HIM I don't think it's mandatory to do one. There is some benefit to doing a race of that distance before your IM but you can set yourself up with a long training day as a substitute or do a shorter distance race earlier on before you hit your peak IM training.
2013-10-22 8:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Originally posted by strikyr

I use Infinit and I like it. I think the batch I had made up was 285 calories a bottle. I also do solids on the bike as well. I like bonk breaker bites and clif shot blocks. That combo worked well for my when I trained for IMWI and for the race itself. What I did was about a bottle an hour and I made sure I ate a little something every 60 to 90 minutes. I had no issues but I know everyone is different when it comes to nutrition plus the weather will play a factor into how much you drink. It was overcast and and comfortable for IMWI this year so I didn't have to drink as much as if it were warmer. The only downside to this strategy was I had to stop for my special needs bag to refill my bottles with Infinit which took a little time.

Thanks very much! I'm thinking about doing a 3-4 hour bottle - should have mentioned that in my original post. I don't like to drink a lot in the last hour on the bike because it leads to a sloshy run and I really want to avoid stopping at SN unless there's a catastrophe, so I'll probably just do a 3-4 hour bottle and then switch to solids/gels for the last few hours. Have you ever made multiple hour bottles? If so, how did you time your intake?
2013-10-22 2:22 PM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Originally posted by strikyr

Thanks very much! I'm thinking about doing a 3-4 hour bottle - should have mentioned that in my original post. I don't like to drink a lot in the last hour on the bike because it leads to a sloshy run and I really want to avoid stopping at SN unless there's a catastrophe, so I'll probably just do a 3-4 hour bottle and then switch to solids/gels for the last few hours. Have you ever made multiple hour bottles? If so, how did you time your intake?

I didn't drink more than a bottle an hour during training or the race. I didn't separate my hydration from my nutrition. I know some people do that, I just stuck with Infinit for both and subsituted some solid food as well. It sounds like you are considering using the liquads for nutrition as well but I think you still need to hydrate more than what you are considering unless I am misunderstanding.

On my longest training ride I probably went through 6 or 7 bottles, 4 Infinit bottles than gatorade for refills and sometimes a coke. For IMWI it was cooler out so I did roughly 3/4 of a 24 oz bottle an hour. I think I drank 5 full bottles and some of the 6th bottle. My bike was 7:11 for IMWI. Like I said I did stop at SN's because I was not going to KQ or be close to winning anything in my age group. The goal was to finish.

As far as timing goes I just made sure I drank. I didn't set my watch to drink every 15 minutes for example I know a lot of people do that. I was cognizant of the fact that I needed to drink and eat so I forced myself to do that and I didn't get caught up in just riding the bike. I kept part of my focus on my nutrition. It worked out well for me being conservative on the bike and taking care of my nutrition I wound up having a very good run at IMWI.

2013-10-22 8:25 PM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I'm in.  It will be my 3rd time at IM M-T and 12th IM start overall (assuming I get to the starting line at AZ in a few weeks).  Can't say enough good things about this race.

2013-10-23 3:54 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Master
Crab Cake City
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will do some long swim/bike days leading up to the race. I have a river I can do OWS in that is already marked out and a 56 mile loop near the house.

TheDallasceliac- In reference to your question...

I used Infinit for my HIM and loved it! I only used liquid nutrition on the bike and I felt good coming into the run, no GI issues or hunger at all. I would recommend trying a concentrated bottle first though. I tried to make a 3hr bottle and it was just too nasty for me so I did (2) 1 1/2 hr bottles and it worked extremely well. I also kept a water bottle between the aero bars to sip on as well.
2013-10-24 5:49 AM

2013-10-24 2:38 PM

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by Fred D

I am also planning on a 'big training day'. This will involve a 3,000 yd swim, 80 mile bike and 7-10 mile run. In my mentor groups and in the forums we've talked a lot about the BIG DAY as a way to check pacing and nutrition after a real swim! So many folks over bike in IM, me included, and it's a way to test things. There are pros and cons to doing the BID DAY, but I plan on it.

What I had in mind but was thinking about keeping the run to 5 miles max?? I am just over cautious about injury and figured within 5 miles I would be able to see where my run fitness will be getting off the bike. Thoughts on that run distance? I had a friend do (3) BIG days like this for IMAZ last year and he said it helped alot.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33825 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9814 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7795 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68435 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf

Ford Ironman World Championship : Official Thread

Started by wieczynski
Views: 5553 Posts: 21

2009-09-30 7:43 PM jinxs68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.