General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2014-04-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: Qua17

Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Sorry to hear about your hip. Hope it gets better soon.

As for being pulled off the course...it depends where you are. If you haven't started the second lap by midnight, then they'll probably pull you off. If you are on the second lap, it's unlikely they will pull you off...unless there is a significant medical reason to do so. I've heard stories of folks grinding it out and getting to the finish line by 1am or a bit later...so, it's not unheard of per se.

When I did IMFL a couple of years ago, they showed a video at the athletes dinner with folks crossing the finish line, and there was one guy who was suffering big time, but he crossed at 3am-ism. (Good for him!) So, the folks at IMFL didn't pull him off the course and he finished 3ish hours later. The IMFL run course is on city streets, so that's obviously different than MT, but they didn't pull him off.

Can't speak for the IMMT folks and how the course is set-up, but as long as you're on the second lap, you should be ok. And BTW, as long as you have good splits on the swim and bike legs, you might be able to fast walk the entire run leg. That's not ideal of course, but it's possible to finish under 17hrs with walking.

And in terms of your condition, seems like you should be heavily focusing on core strength. I assume your PT is focusing on this, right? I try to do core exercises 2x-3x per week, and view them as an integral part of my training. Everything feels better when I core exercises.

Good luck, and see you in MT.

2014-04-02 11:59 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Thanks so much for the reply! That is such a relief. I know I can finish the thing and I can probably finish in less than 17 hours but it's good to know that I may be able to get a little extra time if I need to. Having to get into the Sag wagon would really bum me out.

I've been doing core exercises like they were my job. Everyday for at least 20 minutes.

Good luck to you in your training!
2014-04-07 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Qua17

Thanks so much for the reply! That is such a relief. I know I can finish the thing and I can probably finish in less than 17 hours but it's good to know that I may be able to get a little extra time if I need to. Having to get into the Sag wagon would really bum me out.

I've been doing core exercises like they were my job. Everyday for at least 20 minutes.

I suggest in addition to PT you may want to check into an ART (Active Relase Therapist) chiropractor. I have issues with my right side with (glutes, performis, itb,) and my ART chiro kept me training all season last year through IMAZ. That consistency in training got me to a PR. She gave me specific "homework" for my problem areas and I had a great race in November. Pushing 50 was no joke, and she got me through!

I am sure there are great providers in the Boston area. Just my .02.

2014-04-07 11:13 AM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thedallasceliac

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Does anyone know if there is a Computrainer or real course video out there of the IMMT course? I know they have some for LP, Wisconsin, etc but I havent been able to find a video like that of IMMT.

I've not been able to find one, but if you use Trainer Road, you can use BestBikeSplit to build a custom course using the IMMT70.3 course people have uploaded. I've built it, just haven't ridden it yet.

I am guessing this is only for computrainer folks? I use Trainer Road with my regular trainer. All my wk's are preprogramed through Endurance Nation, but if I could somehow replicate IMMT that would kick butt! Mine of course.
2014-04-07 2:13 PM
in reply to: TrishM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by TrishM
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20 Does anyone know if there is a Computrainer or real course video out there of the IMMT course? I know they have some for LP, Wisconsin, etc but I havent been able to find a video like that of IMMT.
I've not been able to find one, but if you use Trainer Road, you can use BestBikeSplit to build a custom course using the IMMT70.3 course people have uploaded. I've built it, just haven't ridden it yet.
I am guessing this is only for computrainer folks? I use Trainer Road with my regular trainer. All my wk's are preprogramed through Endurance Nation, but if I could somehow replicate IMMT that would kick butt! Mine of course.
<p>I have found that BestBikeSplit is great way to interface with Trainer Road.  Export the fuel out of BestBikeSplit as either an "erg power file" or an "MRC %FTP file" (both seem to work) to your computer and then simply drag and drop that file on to the trainer road workout creator, let it churn for a second, and then name the custom workout. It is as simple as that. if you use an erg trainer (computrainer, Kickr, etc) it will control resistance the device, otherwise you just ride the like you normal do in virtual power mode in TR. Again, the potential cool thing about using bestbikesplit to create workouts is that it allows you to ride a course or route (say a couple of loops of the lake placid course) following a very particular strategy built around %FTP, IF, etc. just to test it out. Want to see how your legs feel after riding the course at 85% FTP? give it a whirl in the comfort of your own pain cave!

2014-04-10 11:14 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Question for the group-

I found a local Century Ride that is exactly 21 days (3 weeks) prior to Race Day. This is a hilly (4500ft) 101 miler but according to my plan I need to ride for 6 hours that day anyway. So, good idea or bad idea to get one last long ride in that close to race day? I think its a great way to get one in, especially since the ride is fully supported and there is substantial elevation gain to help me simulate race day and practice nutrition. So what do you say guys, go for it or stay away??

2014-04-10 2:09 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Question for the group-

I found a local Century Ride that is exactly 21 days (3 weeks) prior to Race Day. This is a hilly (4500ft) 101 miler but according to my plan I need to ride for 6 hours that day anyway. So, good idea or bad idea to get one last long ride in that close to race day? I think its a great way to get one in, especially since the ride is fully supported and there is substantial elevation gain to help me simulate race day and practice nutrition. So what do you say guys, go for it or stay away??

Yes, go for it as long as you use it as a training day. If you go too hard, then that might be an issue. But it sounds like a great training ride - fully supported and your plan calls for a 6 hr ride anyway - so, definitely yes in my book.

The other issues to think about are how you feel by then and how much time your legs need to recover. If you're really beaten down by then, then perhaps the century isn't a great idea. But if you feel good and you have a good taper/recovery plan, then go for it.

2014-04-10 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20 Question for the group- I found a local Century Ride that is exactly 21 days (3 weeks) prior to Race Day. This is a hilly (4500ft) 101 miler but according to my plan I need to ride for 6 hours that day anyway. So, good idea or bad idea to get one last long ride in that close to race day? I think its a great way to get one in, especially since the ride is fully supported and there is substantial elevation gain to help me simulate race day and practice nutrition. So what do you say guys, go for it or stay away??

I'm doing Ironman Canada 21 days prior to Mont-Tremblant so you know my answer.

2014-04-11 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Question for the group-

I'd have to agree with consensus. I think I did a two week taper for my IM last year. My last long ride was two weeks before IM. I did 100 plus with a group and it wound up being a total hammerfest. I didn't suffer any ill effects from that ride. If it were me I'd do the ride.
2014-04-14 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX

Question for the group-

My last century+ is always 3 weeks from race day, so it sounds like a great plan to me.
2014-04-14 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Hi folks - how's everyone doing?

My swim & bike are coming right along - very pleased with where I am ~ 4 months out.

The run is a totally different story. Ran very little this year thus far due to general illness (sinus infection after sinus infection that culminated in the full deal sinus surgery 4 weeks ago) and now achilles tendonitis - fortunately a light case. I haven't even attempted a short run in 3 weeks. Doing PT and it's responding pretty well, but I'm nervous about how I'm going to build from 0 once I get cleared to run on the alter-g (should be next week).

2014-04-14 6:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
It has been a very long cold winter here in Detroit. I'm looking forward to doing some open water swims. See y'all in Canada.
2014-04-15 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

Hi folks - how's everyone doing?

My swim & bike are coming right along - very pleased with where I am ~ 4 months out.

The run is a totally different story. Ran very little this year thus far due to general illness (sinus infection after sinus infection that culminated in the full deal sinus surgery 4 weeks ago) and now achilles tendonitis - fortunately a light case. I haven't even attempted a short run in 3 weeks. Doing PT and it's responding pretty well, but I'm nervous about how I'm going to build from 0 once I get cleared to run on the alter-g (should be next week).

I am feeling pretty good with my training right now. I have been following my plan as consistently as my work schedule allows me and so far so good. Obviously, I wish my numbers were a little higher but I think thats because its my first IM and nothing I do will ever be enough Sad that the pool is closed this week to take the dome down but oh well.

I hope your injury heals up quickly.
2014-04-23 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Gotta BUMP this thread a little bit.

How is everyones training going? Only 16 weeks left until Race Day!!! its coming so quickly.

I have my first race of the season coming up this weekend. A Half Marathon at the beach so it should be a fun weekend. Is the weather clearing up for the rest of you guys in the North East??
2014-04-23 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Gotta BUMP this thread a little bit.

How is everyones training going? Only 16 weeks left until Race Day!!! its coming so quickly.

I have my first race of the season coming up this weekend. A Half Marathon at the beach so it should be a fun weekend. Is the weather clearing up for the rest of you guys in the North East??

Good luck this coming weekend with your HM. I've got a trail run HM coming up the following weekend. I completed my 14 week EN outseason and transtitioned over to the IM training plan I'm two weeks into that. Finally getting some consistent outdoor training as well mainly on the weekend with the long bike rides hitting the hills and running the trails. The weather has been pretty decent in NY starting to warm up some but not enough yet to get back to swimming in the lake. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later I can't stand swimming indoors at the pool.
2014-04-28 10:09 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Had an amazing HM this weekend and ran a 1:57:59 and set a PR by 24 minutes!!! I am starting to feel pretty confident in my abilities. I pushed myself mentally for this race by pushing the pace and running without headphones or music. Only 15 weeks to go! Looks like today will be a rest day and back on the bike tomorrow.

2014-04-28 3:32 PM
in reply to: TrishM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by TrishM

I suggest in addition to PT you may want to check into an ART (Active Relase Therapist) chiropractor. I have issues with my right side with (glutes, performis, itb,) and my ART chiro kept me training all season last year through IMAZ. That consistency in training got me to a PR. She gave me specific "homework" for my problem areas and I had a great race in November. Pushing 50 was no joke, and she got me through!

I am sure there are great providers in the Boston area. Just my .02.

I took your advice and had some myofascial release done. It's been a life changer! Thanks so much for the tip. It's made a world of different. I owe you a couple of beers in MT.
2014-04-28 3:34 PM

User image

Expert

Had an amazing HM this weekend and ran a 1:57:59 and set a PR by 24 minutes!!! I am starting to feel pretty confident in my abilities. I pushed myself mentally for this race by pushing the pace and running without headphones or music. Only 15 weeks to go! Looks like today will be a rest day and back on the bike tomorrow.

Outstanding work! A PR by 24 minutes - that's outstanding! Just think how strong you will be in another 15 weeks!
2014-04-28 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Yeah I am hoping to be stronger by then. I dont think I could have held that pace for another 13 miles but I know that if I did my Run/Walk method I would be fine for a marathon tomorrow.

Now its time to get back on the bike and get some more miles in.
2014-04-29 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
I've got a question for the group - I was looking over the course map on the IM website trying to gage the distance from the water to T1. It looks like a few hundred yards. Does that sound about right?

Also - I just discovered an IMMT app on the Apple App store. Just search Ironman Mont Tremblant
2014-04-29 11:14 AM

I've got a question for the group - I was looking over the course map on the IM website trying to gage the distance from the water to T1. It looks like a few hundred yards. Does that sound about right?

Also - I just discovered an IMMT app on the Apple App store. Just search Ironman Mont Tremblant

Yes, you're right...from the water to T1, it's 200-300 yards or so...

2014-04-29 12:35 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
yea its a few hundred yards but it shouldnt be that bad.
2014-04-29 4:45 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
First Race of the season done. RR below if interested. Hope everyones training is going well. 15 more weeks people....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2014-05-25 5:58 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-05-25 9:18 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Expert
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Qua17 I've got a question for the group - I was looking over the course map on the IM website trying to gage the distance from the water to T1. It looks like a few hundred yards. Does that sound about right? Also - I just discovered an IMMT app on the Apple App store. Just search Ironman Mont Tremblant

Yes, it's quite a long run to T1. I think most people had T1 times of 6-10' Plus. They rolled a red carpet down so you didn't have to run in bare feet on asphalt which was nice.

How is everyone's training going?

Thanks Fred!

My training is going well. Yesterday I put in 68 on my bike and climbed our local "mountain" (it's less than 1500 feet). The ride totalled out at 3500 feet of elevation gain. With all the hills we will face at Tremblant - rides like yesterday's will become the norm on the weekends.

I hope everyone else's training is going well!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33902 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9842 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7805 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68506 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf

Ford Ironman World Championship : Official Thread

Started by wieczynski
Views: 5563 Posts: 21

2009-09-30 7:43 PM jinxs68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.