General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2014-06-23 9:06 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Red Deer, Alberta
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by lepfan72 It's nice to read some posts from others getting ready for MT! I'm getting excited and nervous - I was there last year and had a DNF. I know what to expect for the bike course, and coming from somewhere very flat, I know that's where I need to focus most of my training. Ran a full marathon yesterday and was pleasantly surprised with both my finish time and how good I felt - that tells me that this year's plan is working. We are planning to arrive on Wednesday and are staying in the pedestrian village. My personal plan is to swim twice, ride 1-2 short rides, and run 2x just to warm up a little after a 3 day road trip! I will say I'm really looking forward to returning - both the venue and course are beautiful. Hope to see some of you there!

Great stuff!

What do you think was the biggest limiter last year? the bike?

If so, what gearing are you using?

Biggest limiter last year was nutrition. I don't know if I swallowed too much lake water, or it was just a bug, but by 20 miles into the bike I couldn't even handle drinking water without wanting to throw up. By ~mile 67, I was done, too weak and dizzy to continue. Lessons learned? Absolutely, I'm playing with some different options this year and so far, the stomach is holding up.

The hills on the bike were a rude shock - even though we'd scoped out the course elevation maps, and talked to local folks who had done IMMT in 2012, and trained on the local hills they recommended (which is still a 3 hour round trip from us!); it wasn't enough. Now that I know what to expect, my coach and I are focusing on hill training this year. I've got a compact cassette on my bike - I can't recall the exact gearing, but my fitter at my LBS has ridden both MT and Whistler and tells me this is the right one.

8 weeks out, I'm feeling confident that my swim and run are in good shape, and the bike will be something I survive.

2014-06-24 2:07 PM
in reply to: lepfan72

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Originally posted by lepfan72

Originally posted by lepfan72 It's nice to read some posts from others getting ready for MT! I'm getting excited and nervous - I was there last year and had a DNF. I know what to expect for the bike course, and coming from somewhere very flat, I know that's where I need to focus most of my training. Ran a full marathon yesterday and was pleasantly surprised with both my finish time and how good I felt - that tells me that this year's plan is working. We are planning to arrive on Wednesday and are staying in the pedestrian village. My personal plan is to swim twice, ride 1-2 short rides, and run 2x just to warm up a little after a 3 day road trip! I will say I'm really looking forward to returning - both the venue and course are beautiful. Hope to see some of you there!

Great stuff!

What do you think was the biggest limiter last year? the bike?

If so, what gearing are you using?

Biggest limiter last year was nutrition. I don't know if I swallowed too much lake water, or it was just a bug, but by 20 miles into the bike I couldn't even handle drinking water without wanting to throw up. By ~mile 67, I was done, too weak and dizzy to continue. Lessons learned? Absolutely, I'm playing with some different options this year and so far, the stomach is holding up.

The hills on the bike were a rude shock - even though we'd scoped out the course elevation maps, and talked to local folks who had done IMMT in 2012, and trained on the local hills they recommended (which is still a 3 hour round trip from us!); it wasn't enough. Now that I know what to expect, my coach and I are focusing on hill training this year. I've got a compact cassette on my bike - I can't recall the exact gearing, but my fitter at my LBS has ridden both MT and Whistler and tells me this is the right one.

8 weeks out, I'm feeling confident that my swim and run are in good shape, and the bike will be something I survive.

With everything that happened to you last year, I can totally understand your concern about the challenging nature of the bike course. But I would suggest you give yourself some credit. You have a new cassette, you;ve figured out your nutrition and you and your coach are focusing on getting stronger on the bike. While the bike course might still be challenging (let's be honest - it will challenge both of us) - I bet you will do better than just survive. Believe in yourself and in your training!
2014-06-24 4:47 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Ordered a new crank from Chain Reaction and it was shipped yesterday. Rode what counts as "super hilly" around here (~5k gain for 80 miles) on Sat and will most definitely be interested in riding it again as soon as my crank arrives and is installed.

Question for the experts on intensity for this part of IM training: in the past, I've done very little intensity, all IM pace or easier. This year I've been doing some really aggressive group rides once a week as my "interval" training up to this point. It was fun, they helped increase my FTP, but now that we're in the thick of it, I'm ready to move to more specific training (as well as not sure they're going to be much benefit and am afraid of crashing so close to IM). Last week, I started replacing that ride with a really hard session of intervals on the trainer, sufferfest/trainer road and the like, and man can I tell a difference in fatigue. I had been planning on a session of hill repeats once a week, too, but I am not anywhere close to being able to do 2 such hard sessions in one week. Would alternating that one week with a hill climbing session on the one monster hill we have the next week be a good mix, too little intensity, or too much? I feel like I would not be recovered enough for my weekend sessions (long ride sat, long run sun) if I did more than 1 intensity session each week. Or should I just HTFU and do both each week?

Any insight appreciated!
2014-06-24 7:20 PM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-27 9:06 AM

2014-06-27 10:00 AM
in reply to: 0

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
50 days to go!

I raced Syracuse last weekend with mixed results. I didn't have a good swim but I thought I had a pretty good bike until I got a flat around mile 53/54 so that cost me about 20 minutes or I would have had a bike split of less then 3 hours which is what I was shooting for. My stomach was unsettled for most of the bike so my nutrition wasn't very good for the pace I was pushing. I think the flat helped me recoup and I wound up having a very good run. I was able to drink and eat with no problems and I actually ran the course with a some walking up the hills on the second loop of the run but I still ran faster on the second loop and was able to finish strong and sprint on home at the end.

Overall Syracuse served it's purpose it was a good training day with some ups and downs. I was able to mix it up in a race situation before IMMT and I learned some valuable lessons which I can take away from the race so I can't complain and it was still a PR for me.

This week has sort of been a mess training wise. I've been training but my schedule had to be rearranged. I'm hoping to get some good quality workouts in today and through the weekend and then back on schedule for next week.

I'm sure like everyone else it's heads down with the training with 7 more weeks to go after this weekend. TIme to make that final push for the hardest part of the training and then the taper will be upon us all. Stay determined and committed.

Edited by strikyr 2014-06-27 10:01 AM

2014-06-27 10:04 AM
in reply to: ImSore

Red Deer, Alberta
7 weeks, out, and tomorrow is a 90 mile hilly ride.... which follows last week's 80 mile hilly ride.

Oldest son graduated from high school this week, which was both very cool, and a little melancholy; he's growing (grown!!?) up now. But a really nice easy 14 mile run on Wednesday, the day after grad, helped clear my head and put everything in perspective.

How's everyone's training coming?
2014-06-27 4:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX

Quiet group here lol.

Anyway, training is going well over here. Have a nice ride and run planned this weekend with a bunch of swimming.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used Best Bike Split's website, as they have an IM Tremblant simulator that can estimate your bike time. It's pretty cool actually.

I've been playing around with BBS a lot after seeing how accurate it was for some people over on ST.

So far, it seems to be telling me that I should have lost 5 lbs already (not likely to happen before race this year) and that I should have spent more time working on upping my FTP.

It seems to think it won't be very windy on race day, but I've heard several folks say that it can get quite windy on the second loop. How windy is windy? 15mph? 20mph?
2014-06-30 7:19 AM

Master
Crab Cake City
I finished the Challenge AC full Aqua/Bike yesterday and it went pretty well. Having completed 2/3 of an IM gives me a lot of confidence going into IMMT. A few things I took away from the race this weekend:

1.) Things happen beyond your control and you just have to deal with it the best way possible: Water temp was 80 so non wetsuit. Probably one of the strongest currents I have ever swam in. I was shooting for a 1:35 swim and went 1:55. Everyone I spoke to was 15-20min slower on average. One guy swam 1:20 at his last IM and went over 2hrs at this race! They actually extended the swim cutoff due to the current. Additionally, there were so many turns, people were cutting the course because it was so technical. Did not make for an easy day. I was upset when I got out of the water but I felt decent and just said to myself "Get over it, its a long day"

2.) Biking was better then I thought- I probably started out too strong but average 19mph for the first 45miles. Once we got into the Hammonton loop area, the road surface quality drastically changed and so did my times. I was much slower on the crappy roads then the smooth ones. I never knew that road quality played so much into speed.

3.) Headwinds are demoralizing- After hitting mile 80, I was on pace to go sub 7 with my bike split which for me, was more then I could have imagined. Unfortunately, those last 32 miles were straight into a 20mph headwind for the whole 32 miles!! It was demoralizing and frustrating to be struggling to go 11mph. Also, I felt like the headwind took a lot out of me. I am sure that going too fast earlier in the course played into my speed dropping too but it just plain sucked!

4.) Nutrition- I found that I cannot stomach my Infinit as much as I thought. I made (2) 2hr bottles for each loop and only could stomach 1 bottle each loop. I did find that I like solids more and could feel the pick me up they gave me. I have a 100 miler next month and I plan on carrying 2 water bottles at all times and 1 bottle of a less concentrated Infinit mix while eating more solids.

5.) Tired but not done- When I finished the bike I was tired but after changing and sitting down for a minute, I felt good about running 26.2 With my finishing time at this race, I would have had 7.5hrs to finish the marathon so I know that I would be able to do that.

6.) Drink more- I was dehydrated, plain and simple.

7.) I need salt tabs- I craved salt all day, had salt crusted on my skin when I was done and when I ate food afterwards, the roof of my mouth burned.

Overall, it was a good day and I learned a lot, could have been better, but that's the way it goes.
2014-06-30 7:20 AM

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by thedallasceliac

Quiet group here lol.

Anyway, training is going well over here. Have a nice ride and run planned this weekend with a bunch of swimming.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used Best Bike Split's website, as they have an IM Tremblant simulator that can estimate your bike time. It's pretty cool actually.

I've been playing around with BBS a lot after seeing how accurate it was for some people over on ST.

So far, it seems to be telling me that I should have lost 5 lbs already (not likely to happen before race this year) and that I should have spent more time working on upping my FTP.

It seems to think it won't be very windy on race day, but I've heard several folks say that it can get quite windy on the second loop. How windy is windy? 15mph? 20mph?

I hope not that windy. If it was anything like yesterday, it makes for a long day...
2014-06-30 9:53 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Red Deer, Alberta
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

I finished the Challenge AC full Aqua/Bike yesterday and it went pretty well. Having completed 2/3 of an IM gives me a lot of confidence going into IMMT. A few things I took away from the race this weekend:

1.) Things happen beyond your control and you just have to deal with it the best way possible: Water temp was 80 so non wetsuit. Probably one of the strongest currents I have ever swam in. I was shooting for a 1:35 swim and went 1:55. Everyone I spoke to was 15-20min slower on average. One guy swam 1:20 at his last IM and went over 2hrs at this race! They actually extended the swim cutoff due to the current. Additionally, there were so many turns, people were cutting the course because it was so technical. Did not make for an easy day. I was upset when I got out of the water but I felt decent and just said to myself "Get over it, its a long day"

2.) Biking was better then I thought- I probably started out too strong but average 19mph for the first 45miles. Once we got into the Hammonton loop area, the road surface quality drastically changed and so did my times. I was much slower on the crappy roads then the smooth ones. I never knew that road quality played so much into speed.

3.) Headwinds are demoralizing- After hitting mile 80, I was on pace to go sub 7 with my bike split which for me, was more then I could have imagined. Unfortunately, those last 32 miles were straight into a 20mph headwind for the whole 32 miles!! It was demoralizing and frustrating to be struggling to go 11mph. Also, I felt like the headwind took a lot out of me. I am sure that going too fast earlier in the course played into my speed dropping too but it just plain sucked!

4.) Nutrition- I found that I cannot stomach my Infinit as much as I thought. I made (2) 2hr bottles for each loop and only could stomach 1 bottle each loop. I did find that I like solids more and could feel the pick me up they gave me. I have a 100 miler next month and I plan on carrying 2 water bottles at all times and 1 bottle of a less concentrated Infinit mix while eating more solids.

5.) Tired but not done- When I finished the bike I was tired but after changing and sitting down for a minute, I felt good about running 26.2 With my finishing time at this race, I would have had 7.5hrs to finish the marathon so I know that I would be able to do that.

7.) I need salt tabs- I craved salt all day, had salt crusted on my skin when I was done and when I ate food afterwards, the roof of my mouth burned.

Overall, it was a good day and I learned a lot, could have been better, but that's the way it goes.

Sounds like you had a great day overall, plus learned some valuable lessons!

I can testify that road conditions make a HUGE difference - I train on some of the worst roads I've ever seen, and last year was shocked at how good the roads at MT are. You should experience considerably better road times there.

The nutrition lesson is huge too - I too am finding that on the bike, I want solid foods. Liquid nutrition (and even gels) just don't give me enough, and my stomach doesn't settle until I eat real food (PBJ on whole grain seems to work well for me!). And I take two electrolyte tabs every hour to ensure I get enough salt as I'm a heavy sweater.

Congrats on your race at AC!

2014-06-30 11:07 AM

Regular
Washington, DC

Thanks for this -- I think I may try the aquabike next year. Sounds like good preparation for the IM! How's your knee doing?
2014-06-30 2:34 PM

Matt - congrats, great job!!! Sounds like it was a perfect training race for IMMT - it's always better to learn things early and be in a position to tweak things before you get to IMMT. Again, congrats!

Nutrition/drink more/salt tabs - all related issues imho and good to learn what you can handle sooner than later. I take 1-2 salt tabs per hour depending on the heat and humidity. I also take in a bunch of salt 2-3 days before long races to make sure my stores of electrolytes are topped off. My preferred method is a mug of warm chicken broth with dinner. And in terms of solids v liquids - my stomach seems similar to yours. These days I'm taking Clif Shot Blocks, and vanilla and chocolate honey stinger waffles. My bottles are concentrated too, but I need some solid foods along the way. And the waffles are really thin and a bunch fit nicely in my bento box.

quick story...I went into IMFL a couple of years ago thinking that clif bars would be my food of choice, but I couldn't stomach them past mile 10ish of the bike leg. I had trained with clif bars and was ready to go with them on race day, but man, I couldn't eat another freakin' bite of a clif bar. Heck, I haven't had touched a clif bar since IMFL....that's how bad my stomach was and how long I hold a grudge (LOL). In any case, the lesson learned that I picked up was to 'experiment' with different foods and see what works for you, and regardless of what you think will work on race day, but prepared to change things on the fly.

But long story short, pat yourself on the back for a great day out! 48 days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-06-30 2:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
I hope not that windy. If it was anything like yesterday, it makes for a long day...

I hear ya. We have crazy wind in north Texas (more than "windy city" Chicago, believe it or not!) and sometimes you just want to stop and throw your bike into a lake. Having a power meter really helps me because I can see i'm putting out the right amount of effort even if i'm going super slow.

Sorry it was so windy the last 1/3 of your race.
2014-07-01 6:51 PM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Congrats Matt, great job on finishing the Aqua/Bike at Challenge AC. I had 4 friends do the Aqua/Bike and 2 who did the full they also said pretty much said the same things about the swim and bike. A very rough swim and a confusing swim course along with the tough headwinds on the later portion of the bike made for a tough race for those doing the Aqua/Bike. For the full add in a pretty hot run and it makes for a long day. It sounds like you gained a lot of good experience and lessons learned which you can apply to IMMT from your long training day there. Plus it's always good to face some adversity in a race because you can draw on that experience if you need do when you go through bad moments during a race. Congrats again.
2014-07-01 7:06 PM
in reply to: strikyr

Master
Crab Cake City
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It was a blast and I am so glad I did it, feels good going into the last month and a half of training. I am hoping my swim will be better at IMMT (should be less current and wetsuit legal) but I will keep trucking with Masters workouts 3x a week.

I think I need to take in salt tabs and start to try them in training. I do think they will help me.

MEG- Knee feels great! very happy about it and it did not hurt at all during or after the race. I got a run planned tomorrow night so hopefully it wont hurt to run.

Does anyone have any idea how my bike split could translate to a hillier course like at IMMT? faster, slower about the same?? just curious as to others findings from your past results.

2014-07-01 9:06 PM

2014-07-01 9:10 PM

2014-07-02 8:38 AM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

I think another key point touched upon is that be prepared for things to go different than you planned in an IM. Don't get down, see it as a challenge. Or, as the wise philosopher Mike Tysaon said... "Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face". Expect to have a few disappointments early.

^^^This is great advice. All my friends who have done IM and imparted their wisdom on me pretty much said the same thing to me when I was getting ready for my first one last year. It's not if you have a bad moment you will have at least one bad moment in your race. Expect it and be prepared for it because how you deal with it can make a big difference on whether you have a good day or a bad day.
2014-07-02 1:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
How long will everyone's longest run be?

I'm behind on long runs, but not willing to cram it in, so my longest will be about 15 or so 3 weeks out.
2014-07-02 2:24 PM

Originally posted by strikyr

I think another key point touched upon is that be prepared for things to go different than you planned in an IM. Don't get down, see it as a challenge. Or, as the wise philosopher Mike Tysaon said... "Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face". Expect to have a few disappointments early.

^^^This is great advice. All my friends who have done IM and imparted their wisdom on me pretty much said the same thing to me when I was getting ready for my first one last year. It's not if you have a bad moment you will have at least one bad moment in your race. Expect it and be prepared for it because how you deal with it can make a big difference on whether you have a good day or a bad day.

x2 - great advice. It's not if, but when and how many - and imho, the real challenge of IM race day is how you adapt and overcome these obstacles. If you can do it, you'll hear Mike Reilly call your name. If not....well, the odds are against you making it to the finish line.

2014-07-02 2:26 PM

I'm behind on long runs, but not willing to cram it in, so my longest will be about 15 or so 3 weeks out.

I've doing 10-12 mile runs now (though perhaps not enough of them), and will probably up that to 16ish over the next few weeks, but not more than that.
2014-07-02 2:28 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

Master
Crab Cake City
My longest run to date is 19 miles. That was a work supported run that I participated in. I have also done a half marathon. My plan tops out at 2.5hrs for the long run so for me, probably 15-16miles will be all I go
2014-07-02 2:57 PM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

My plan is time based so it's supposed to be 2.5 hours and since I'm not a fast runner that may only get me about 15 or 16 miles. I'd like it to be a little bit longer but I probably won't push pass 3 hours and/or 18 miles.
2014-07-02 3:28 PM

Red Deer, Alberta
I did a marathon on Father's Day, just to get the distance done - I didn't race it, just ran it nice & slow. That will be my longest one - I believe everything else will be under 20 from this point on.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33918 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9851 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7806 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68527 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf

Ford Ironman World Championship : Official Thread

Started by wieczynski
Views: 5567 Posts: 21

2009-09-30 7:43 PM jinxs68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.