General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-10-13 5:41 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-10-13 10:02 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
I'm in for IMMT. This will be my second Ironman. I did my first Ironman this past year at IMWI and it will be my first time doing IMMT. Hoping to improve on my finishing time this go around. I'm looking forward to doing IMMT. I wasn't planning to do an IM this year but a lot of my friends who I train with signed up so I just couldn't pass up to opportunity to train and race IMMT with them.
2013-10-13 1:25 PM
in reply to: strikyr

2013-10-13 4:41 PM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by strikyrI'm in for IMMT. This will be my second Ironman. I did my first Ironman this past year at IMWI and it will be my first time doing IMMT. Hoping to improve on my finishing time this go around. I'm looking forward to doing IMMT. I wasn't planning to do an IM this year but a lot of my friends who I train with signed up so I just couldn't pass up to opportunity to train and race IMMT with them.
. I've done both IMWI and IMMT. I preferred IMMT by a lot. Great town, roads, setup and community. What will be your approach this time to improve on your finishing time?

My friends have done IMMT and they've said the same things about it and they really enjoyed doing it. I loved doing IMWI I thought it was great but I am really looking forward to doing iIMMT. For me this year my goal was very modest for IMWI, I just wanted to be able to finish so I raced conservatively in order to do that. I put in a large volume of training to try and ensure that I'd be able to accomplish my goal.

I think when you do IM for the first time there are a lot of unknowns and some uncertainty. When you go through it once you sort of have a much better understanding of what to expect. I am hoping with another year of training I'll improve my swim, bike and run again. This time around I'd like to train more efficiently not just throw a lot of volume at it like I felt I did when I trained for IMWI. I think just knowing what to expect and having another year of training under my belt that will help me improve on my time. Last year I used a combination of the intermediate and competitive IronFit training plans and that worked fine for me. This year I am leaning towards using the Endurance Nation outseason and IM training plans.
2013-10-13 10:29 PM

I'm in. IMMT will be my 2nd IM - my first was IMFL in 2012. I volunteered at IMMT this year, so I got a lay of the land in the village, but didn't have time to drive the run or bike course, so that part will be new for me.

Looking forward to the discussion as well.

2013-10-14 12:36 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

Master
Crab Cake City
I am in for IMMT 2014 and this will be my first Ironman!! I volunteered last year in the Food Tent (met Larchmonttri up there when we volunteered). Really excited about this race because I had a great time volunteering and the weather, town, roads were all perfect. Going to follow the Don Fink Competetive plan so training starts toward the end of January. I just finished my first HIM last week and did better then I expected so a lot of confidence going into IMMT but I know there are things I need to improve upon. Looking forward to hearing as many suggestions from you IM and IMMT alumn as I can.

2013-10-15 8:11 AM

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
I'm in. 2nd IM. First IMMT

Primary goal is to ride Fred off my wheel so he doesn't draft me the whole way like he did in Lake Placid.

Secondary goal is to crack the 10 hour mark. Have to nail that run this time.

2013-10-15 9:48 AM
in reply to: rscheung

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
I'm in! IMMT will be my 3rd IM (IMCdA '12 and Redman '13). I'm hoping to go sub 13 and to do so will need to get a lot stronger on the bike & on hills especially.

2013-10-15 1:20 PM

2013-10-15 1:22 PM

2013-10-15 2:17 PM

Master
Crab Cake City

For the newer IM folks, I ask the question.... What gearing are you planning on using on your bike? If you give me a very tough idea of your expected bike split I can give some insight into appropriate gearing?

I have a stock Speed Concept 7.0 Carbon Triathlon bike that I will be racing in. I just raced a Hilly HIM in it and felt pretty good about the gearing but no idea how it compares to IMMT (folks said HIM course was about 3,000ft elevation but I don't know for sure). On my bike I have a 50/34 compact crank and a 12-28 cassette, its a 10-speed. I would love to hear suggestions about gearing and hill training. What kind of hills can I expect? short and steep or long and gradual? Is there any flat section or is it constant up and down?

2013-10-15 2:17 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Master
Crab Cake City
I am hoping that I can train myself to a 7-7:15 bike split, that is my goal
2013-10-15 2:50 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

2013-10-15 7:39 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Fred -thanks for getting this started and flushing me out of the weeds.

I am in as well, 3rd IM, not counting last year at Lake Placid where a freak T1 injury caused me to abort before I ever really even got going. Way too early for goal setting for me - I actually have not yet quite figured out where this race "fits" in next years schedule. At the moment I plan on arriving injury-free and prepared, but I don't think it will be my A-race. After the past three years of IM focused training, I actually would like to work on getting some top-end speed back. So just beginning to work out a plan that will allow me to be competitive in sprint and olympic distance races, but also be prepared for IM. I plan on racing a good bit more next season than I have the past couple.

I am also looking forward to the group discussion over the upcoming year.

2013-10-15 7:44 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by rscheung I'm in. 2nd IM. First IMMT Primary goal is to ride Fred off my wheel so he doesn't draft me the whole way like he did in Lake Placid. Secondary goal is to crack the 10 hour mark. Have to nail that run this time.

Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about Fred, Bob. You know he will only be drafting off folks during the Strava segments....

2013-10-15 7:50 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

2013-10-15 7:54 PM

2013-10-15 8:00 PM
in reply to: strikyr

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by strikyrMy friends have done IMMT and they've said the same things about it and they really enjoyed doing it. I loved doing IMWI I thought it was great but I am really looking forward to doing iIMMT. For me this year my goal was very modest for IMWI, I just wanted to be able to finish so I raced conservatively in order to do that. I put in a large volume of training to try and ensure that I'd be able to accomplish my goal. I think when you do IM for the first time there are a lot of unknowns and some uncertainty. When you go through it once you sort of have a much better understanding of what to expect. I am hoping with another year of training I'll improve my swim, bike and run again. This time around I'd like to train more efficiently not just throw a lot of volume at it like I felt I did when I trained for IMWI. I think just knowing what to expect and having another year of training under my belt that will help me improve on my time. Last year I used a combination of the intermediate and competitive IronFit training plans and that worked fine for me. This year I am leaning towards using the Endurance Nation outseason and IM training plans.

Well, then you have come to the right place! Fred and I talked about this very thing a while back (and I pretty sure Dream Chaser will chime in here at some point as he is in the same boat). I am going to have to attack this thing a little differently this year also. I really enjoy IM training, but like I said up there ^^^^ I actually think I need to refocus a bit on the faster/harder stuff, so that is really going to be the priority for me. My wife on the other hand really, also really enjoys IM training and racing as well (for the balance that it brings to her life, if you can believe that) and she convinced me into doing IMMT with her. So this will be our 4th year in a row IM training together, and somehow that works for us. We have trained and raced together now for 23 years, so I guess it kinda is what we do.

2013-10-15 8:01 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by TankBoy

Fred -thanks for getting this started and flushing me out of the weeds.

I am in as well, 3rd IM, not counting last year at Lake Placid where a freak T1 injury caused me to abort before I ever really even got going. Way too early for goal setting for me - I actually have not yet quite figured out where this race "fits" in next years schedule. At the moment I plan on arriving injury-free and prepared, but I don't think it will be my A-race. After the past three years of IM focused training, I actually would like to work on getting some top-end speed back. So just beginning to work out a plan that will allow me to be competitive in sprint and olympic distance races, but also be prepared for IM. I plan on racing a good bit more next season than I have the past couple.

I am also looking forward to the group discussion over the upcoming year.

Actually you will probably do better at IMMT making it less of an 'A' race and decreasing the overall pressure.

Enjoy, there will be a good group up there. This will be a good group.

Agree 100% with all three of those statements!

2013-10-16 5:13 AM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

2013-10-16 9:48 AM

IMMT will be my first IM. I have a Specialized Transition Pro. I don't know much about the gearing other than the front big ring says 53/39T. It also says 10/11 speed and has SRAM Force front derailleur and SRAM Red Rear. If you could let me know if there is a better set-up that wouldn't cost too much I'd be interested. I'm hoping for a 6:30-7 hr bike split, as this is definitely my weakest leg. Thanks!

2013-10-16 10:45 AM
in reply to: aglowe1972

Just did some more research...I have a 12/25 cassette on my tri bike with the 53/39 combination on the front. My road bike has 50/34 with a 12/28 cassette. I'm thinking I should just swap the two set-ups? What do you think?
2013-10-16 11:01 AM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX

Originally posted by thedallasceliacI'm in! IMMT will be my 3rd IM (IMCdA '12 and Redman '13). I'm hoping to go sub 13 and to do so will need to get a lot stronger on the bike & on hills especially.
. What will be your strategy to get stronger on the bike, and hills?

Stronger on the bike by riding more, and harder, especially over the winter to build up a good base. Right now I'm focusing on losing 15# to put me at a light weight, which should help with the hills. I can maintain weight during IM training but have a really hard time losing it then. We don't have a lot of hills here in north texas, but we do have some steepish (12%-13%) 1 mile long climbs that I plan on doing repeats and I have a good route that my 910xt reads as 6,000ft gain over 100miles. We also have a lot of rallies in rural areas that have some good, steep hills.

I believe I have the strength and capability to ride faster/better but I lack confidence in perceived effort and pacing and am worried that I'll blow myself up. When I ride with buddies (not drafting), I can easily maintain much higher average speeds, but when I ride by myself I average lower. I'm planning on having my zones tested in the off season and then retested at points in IM training and relying on HR zones to give me some basis for pacing. I'd like to get my hands on a PM but not sure if that'll happen in time for IMMT.

As for gearing, I have a 12-28 from CdA that I plan on using, and a 52/38 up front. My estimated split is in the 6:35-6:50 range. Does that sound appropriate for gearing?

Fred, so very excited you are doing IMMT again! Very excited to hopefully soak up some of your knowledge on IM racing!

Edited by thedallasceliac 2013-10-16 11:04 AM
2013-10-16 12:28 PM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by strikyrMy friends have done IMMT and they've said the same things about it and they really enjoyed doing it. I loved doing IMWI I thought it was great but I am really looking forward to doing iIMMT. For me this year my goal was very modest for IMWI, I just wanted to be able to finish so I raced conservatively in order to do that. I put in a large volume of training to try and ensure that I'd be able to accomplish my goal. I think when you do IM for the first time there are a lot of unknowns and some uncertainty. When you go through it once you sort of have a much better understanding of what to expect. I am hoping with another year of training I'll improve my swim, bike and run again. This time around I'd like to train more efficiently not just throw a lot of volume at it like I felt I did when I trained for IMWI. I think just knowing what to expect and having another year of training under my belt that will help me improve on my time. Last year I used a combination of the intermediate and competitive IronFit training plans and that worked fine for me. This year I am leaning towards using the Endurance Nation outseason and IM training plans.

Well, then you have come to the right place! Fred and I talked about this very thing a while back (and I pretty sure Dream Chaser will chime in here at some point as he is in the same boat). I am going to have to attack this thing a little differently this year also. I really enjoy IM training, but like I said up there ^^^^ I actually think I need to refocus a bit on the faster/harder stuff, so that is really going to be the priority for me. My wife on the other hand really, also really enjoys IM training and racing as well (for the balance that it brings to her life, if you can believe that) and she convinced me into doing IMMT with her. So this will be our 4th year in a row IM training together, and somehow that works for us. We have trained and raced together now for 23 years, so I guess it kinda is what we do.

It's funny you mention Dream Chaser lol. I know Bobby as well and have had the great pleasure to both train and race with him. I would consider him a mentor to me. He was a tremendous help in getting me started a few years ago in triathlon and was also a big help in me getting prepared for IMWI. Now the challenge is for him to get back to finding some balance and start training consistently for IMMT. He was a big reason why I decided to do IMMT along with the other guys we train with. I'm looking forward to training and racing with the group we'll have going up to MT as well as the folks here. It looks like we are going to have a really good group of people doing this race and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

I also agree with the fast than far approach being I wasn't going to do an IM this year I'm hoping to balance life a little better and not have as big a drain on my time like I did the first time around. My family was very helpful and supportive in allowing me to do IMWI. This time around I'd like to give back a little time to them without sacraficing on performance. I'm willing to give the less is more approach a try.
2013-10-16 3:47 PM
in reply to: 0

I like the "less is more" approach - any suggestions? I sort of do the less approach already (in terms of hours per week), I just need to make the count more. Hoping to training 7-9 hours per week consistently until IMMT...that should get me through.

No idea on my bike gearing - have off the shelf Cannondale road bike. But in terms of bike leg time...I'm aiming for 6:30ish...probably will end up closer to 6:50-7:00, but as long as I cross the finish line and become an official finisher, that's all that really counts.

Happy training.

BTW, when are folks starting their 'official' training for IMMT?

Edited by LarchmontTri 2013-10-16 3:53 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33778 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9804 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7786 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68386 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf

Ford Ironman World Championship : Official Thread

Started by wieczynski
Views: 5547 Posts: 21

2009-09-30 7:43 PM jinxs68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.