General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Northern Californians: winter cycling routes and open water swims in Auburn/Sac? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-13 7:14 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Northern Californians: winter cycling routes and open water swims in Auburn/Sac?
So I am registered for IM CDA in June, but live in Reno NV, so long outdoor rides and open water swimming around here are just too brutal, unless we have a warm and early end to winter so I am committed to traveling to get the long training sessions done--- Auburn/Sacramento areas are reasonably close for me to do on weekends, but I am not familiar with decent training routes or open water swimming in those locations--- any suggestions?

2013-10-13 9:14 PM
in reply to: Jonathan7

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Northern Californians: winter cycling routes and open water swims in Auburn/Sac?
Plenty of Canadians manage to train outside in the spring for CDA. HTFU is in order.
2013-10-14 12:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Northern Californians: winter cycling routes and open water swims in Auburn/Sac?
So ya I am 200 miles north of you... Granite bay has lots of early triathlons and maybe some swim events, on east side of sac. There are lots of other lakes you can swim in between Tahoe and sacrament. And lake Tahoe is a nice swim at the moment, but ya will probably get colder soon. You can just pool swim until late may though and then get in some ows late may early June. Cya at CDA.

Edited by Baowolf 2013-10-14 12:58 AM
2013-10-14 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4876307

User image

Regular
Yea Donner Lake, where I swim in summer, is already down to low 50's water temp and stays pretty cold well into May because it is basically melted snow. Tahoe is about 5- 10 degrees colder. Granite Bay is a good idea.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Northern Californians: winter cycling routes and open water swims in Auburn/Sac? Rss Feed