General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating the days before an IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2013-10-14 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: Eating the days before an IM
I'm doing IMFL in 3 weeks as my first full race. What kind of meals should I eat in the days leading up to the race for best performance? I have race day nutrition down but figure I can't just carbo load the night before like other races. This must be a 2 day process, right? Fats or carbs better?

Thanks

2013-10-14 9:43 AM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Subject: RE: Eating the days before an IM
Fri night and Sat morning are the two key meals. I'd keep fiber low and stay with foods that you're used to eating. Make sure you get in some good quality protein and carbs. Sat night keep things very simple (chicken and potatoes or similar)
2013-10-14 10:04 AM

User image

Boynton Beach, FL
the day before the race, i have found it benedifical to do most of the carb loading for breakfast (pancakes, potaotes, etc ). then eat snacks throughout the day.... pretzels, sports drinks, clif bars, etc. for dinner, lite - some pasta, 1/2 chix breast
race morning, I am going to use something i found on this site: 3 c applesauce, 1 banana, 1 scoop protein, 1 sports drink - 3 hrs before, then thats it til race. i have been practicing w this and it works for me. minimal gi issues, low fiber, binding breakfast.
a few days before the race I start switching over to white bread, white past stuff, and away from the grains and heavier fiber foods.
2013-10-14 10:38 AM

I'll reiterate what most are saying here. Don't deviate too much from your normal diet. Just like you wouldn't race on a different bike or use a new pair of shoes the day or, you don't want to introduce a new diet that could throw your system out of balance. Definitely keep the fiber lower the day before the race. As mentioned above, something simple like chicken and potatoes is great. I usually try and have fish and potatoes or rice (and a very small portion of mixed veggies). Race morning is where the carbo "loading" should take place. Nothing crazy, but should be based in carbohydrate. I typically have a bowl of oatmeal approx. 3 hours before race start. Then I'll have a banana as I set up transition and an energy bar just before race start, staying hydrated throughout with water.
2013-10-14 10:56 AM
in reply to: JeremyHoward

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Yeah I've pretty much lived on chicken breast and sweet potato for the last 2 months trying to drop weight before IMFL. Not looking to rewrite a meal plan just looking for others suggestions
2013-10-14 3:35 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by rjrankin83 Yeah I've pretty much lived on chicken breast and sweet potato for the last 2 months trying to drop weight before IMFL. Not looking to rewrite a meal plan just looking for others suggestions

As wise man once said train for performance or train for weight loss, but if you try to do both one will suffer.

Either way, I am with the others who suggest not doing too much different prior to the race.

2013-10-14 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
also be careful when eating out during pre-race.

being conservative, I try to stay in a place that has a kitchen, so I can make my own simple stuff.

2013-10-14 4:15 PM
in reply to: JeremyHoward

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by JeremyHoward

Race morning is where the carbo "loading" should take place. Nothing crazy, but should be based in carbohydrate. I typically have a bowl of oatmeal approx. 3 hours before race start.

The carb loading process takes place during the 5-7 days before race day. The morning of you simply top off your glycogen stores.
2013-10-14 5:23 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Eat fairly normally leading up to the race but a little bit less than during training to avoid gaining prior to the race. The day before, avoid anything that causes you any GI issues and focus a bit more on carbs than normal. Race morning, a good breakfast that sits well about three hours to start and then mainly liquid calories until the start.

You are not looking to carbo load as that is a long process that offers marginal benefits at best and will see you gain weight before the race. Just good clean food at a slightly reduced level compared to your training.

Shane
2013-10-14 7:37 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by rjrankin83 Yeah I've pretty much lived on chicken breast and sweet potato for the last 2 months trying to drop weight before IMFL. Not looking to rewrite a meal plan just looking for others suggestions

As wise man once said train for performance or train for weight loss, but if you try to do both one will suffer.

Either way, I am with the others who suggest not doing too much different prior to the race.

Well I started at 250 and got down to 225. I was bound to lose weight just wanted to hurry the process a bit. Chicken and sweet potato was able to fill me without eating bad.

Originally posted by gsmacleod

Eat fairly normally leading up to the race but a little bit less than during training to avoid gaining prior to the race. The day before, avoid anything that causes you any GI issues and focus a bit more on carbs than normal. Race morning, a good breakfast that sits well about three hours to start and then mainly liquid calories until the start.

You are not looking to carbo load as that is a long process that offers marginal benefits at best and will see you gain weight before the race. Just good clean food at a slightly reduced level compared to your training.

Shane

Thank you for this advice. This is what I was looking for.

Originally posted by metafizx

also be careful when eating out during pre-race.

being conservative, I try to stay in a place that has a kitchen, so I can make my own simple stuff.

Check. Got a condo with kitchen.
2013-10-14 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Avoid "brown" foods that are super high in fiber in the couple of days leading up to the race.  Instead of eating brown rice, eat white rice.  Instead of wheat/multi-grain bread, eat white bread.  Stuff like that.  Normally you want to eat the brown stuff in your everyday diet because it's generally more healthy but it makes you poop a lot which is obviously something to avoid on race day.

2013-10-14 8:19 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Avoid "brown" foods that are super high in fiber in the couple of days leading up to the race.  Instead of eating brown rice, eat white rice.  Instead of wheat/multi-grain bread, eat white bread.  Stuff like that.  Normally you want to eat the brown stuff in your everyday diet because it's generally more healthy but it makes you poop a lot which is obviously something to avoid on race day.

Honestly the advice about fiber is great. For some reason I would have never thought of it, and it seems so simple
2013-10-14 10:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'd say avoid fiber and lots as veggies as well. For my IM, I was in CA and got sick of paying the stupid prices for the meals. My pre-pre-race dinner was pizza and then my pre-race dinner was a foot long at Subway. Yeah...not the best combo but it worked for me

Edit. I agree with brown comment above but you should really just make the switch the whole wheat everything. I talked to a dietitian when I started my training. Whole wheat = slower release of energy. Processed flour is more for instance energy but you also lose a lot of nutrients. It took 3-4 weeks to adjust my taste but I won't go back. Whole wheat toast every day with peanut butter for my post breakfast snack and I even have whole wheat spaghetti for dinner before my long bike day and long run day.

Edited by Blastman 2013-10-14 10:23 PM
2013-10-15 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by gsmacleod

Shane

Simple or complex? I thought the complex was high in fiber. Can you give some examples of clean foods?
2013-10-15 8:55 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by GAUG3

Simple or complex? I thought the complex was high in fiber. Can you give some examples of clean foods?

I would generally avoid things that were high in fiber but I would also use how your body responded to similar foods while you were training.

For clean foods I just meant not crap - avoid all the sports nutrition products and eat real foods - the less processed, the better.

Shane
2013-10-15 12:50 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

All the fiber suggestions are interesting. I eat a decent amount of fiber and I take a fiber supplement (psyllium husks) every night. I never change that up prior to a race. I like to make sure the pipes are clean race morning.

2013-10-17 11:02 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I think the whole special foods the week before the race is pretty irrelevant. Just eat normal healthy foods. If you are going to be sub 9 hours then there may be a 60 second benefit to some magic food concoction, but for a first IM, just stay hydrated and eat foods that won't upset your stomach, ie. your normal diet.
2013-10-17 11:55 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
2013-10-17 1:02 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I eat (gluten free) pizza or pasta the night before IM. Yum.

I am gluten intolerant (Celiac) so am EXTRA careful the days leading up to the race since if I eat gluten it will bother me for up to 3-4 days later. I, too, get a place with a full kitchen so I can cook my own meals race week. Hit up the local grocery store and pick up some rice, chicken or tofu, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, salad. 

2013-10-17 1:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by lisac957

I am gluten intolerant (Celiac) so am EXTRA careful the days leading up to the race since if I eat gluten it will bother me for up to 3-4 days later. I, too, get a place with a full kitchen so I can cook my own meals race week. Hit up the local grocery store and pick up some rice, chicken or tofu, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, salad. 

Not sure if you know this brand, but it makes excellent GF pasta (almost identical to 'real' pasta): Bionature. Their penne, macaroni and spirals are particularly great, probably the best GF I've tasted.

BTW, although I am not a celiac my wife is. It has brought me to a place where I eat very little gluten. I can positively say I feel it is a better diet. The other thing to know about gluten is that the wheat stores in this country are chronically plagued by mold, which makes its way into our food stream.

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-10-17 1:07 PM
2013-10-17 1:15 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

I have Crohn's disease, so my dietary restrictions are fairly substantial, if I'm being strict (I'm seldom strict, besides immediately before a race).

For the week prior, I try to avoid dairy, high fiber, and spicy foods. Lots of bland stuff like chicken, basic salads, white bread, etc...

Two nights before the race (Friday, for a Sunday race), I will eat ton of pasta, usually with shredded chicken or ground beef. I've never understood why people carb-load the night before a race, like literally 12 hours before go-time.

The day before, I'll usually eat something along the lines of a bagel for breakfast, turkey sandwich for lunch, and then grilled chicken tenders for dinner. Always works for me, I don't recall the last time I had GI issues during a race (discounting IMLOU which I can't attribute to my pre-race diet since it didn't strike until the run). This setup gives me all the carbs I need, leading up to the race, then a boost of protein the day prior.

2013-10-17 1:26 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by FranzZemen
Originally posted by lisac957

Not sure if you know this brand, but it makes excellent GF pasta (almost identical to 'real' pasta): Bionature. Their penne, macaroni and spirals are particularly great, probably the best GF I've tasted. BTW, although I am not a celiac my wife is. It has brought me to a place where I eat very little gluten. I can positively say I feel it is a better diet. The other thing to know about gluten is that the wheat stores in this country are chronically plagued by mold, which makes its way into our food stream.

Those ARE good! Tinkyada brand is one of my favs as well.

2013-10-17 4:26 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by Baowolf

I think the whole special foods the week before the race is pretty irrelevant. Just eat normal healthy foods. If you are going to be sub 9 hours then there may be a 60 second benefit to some magic food concoction, but for a first IM, just stay hydrated and eat foods that won't upset your stomach, ie. your normal diet.

Good to know. Figured, like most with this race, I was over thinking it.
2013-10-18 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anybody know if increasing sodium the week of is good? Something like chicken broth or Ramen noodles?
2013-10-18 1:39 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by GAUG3

Anybody know if increasing sodium the week of is good? Something like chicken broth or Ramen noodles?

I've seen recommendations of increasing table salt the days before an IM in "Going Long" by Byrn and Friel.

Strongly recommend this book btw.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating the days before an IM Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

What did you eat on IM run?

Started by luejs
Views: 2218 Posts: 23

2009-11-08 3:13 AM Skippy74

Leave the IM paste, but eat the PIE

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1727 Posts: 11

2008-03-16 8:54 PM suffer78

IM Training- What do you eat??

Started by sel166
Views: 1696 Posts: 21

2007-12-06 6:07 AM snake111

What do you eat before IM Race?

Started by rhfwagner
Views: 1101 Posts: 11

2007-08-24 9:10 AM captantony

How much to eat IM race morning?

Started by joannh13
Views: 1201 Posts: 11

2006-10-30 10:09 AM ladavidson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 25, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?

date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : April 1, 2008
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : February 7, 2008
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.